What does O/S/G/F means for air small packet

I had 2 small packet return to me saying that. Then it say's o/s/g/f is for 20mm or less.  I always ship my item (games) light packet but when I pay and print it say's air small packet... Anyone has that problem latetly?

I did call canadapost customer service and she doesn't know nothing about it....

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In reply to the original poster:

less than 20mm = about 3/4" NOT one inch.

That is the real problem.  If your thickness exceeds 20mm, and "one inch" does, you cannot use letterpost or Light Packet.

You need to package your game in such way that the thickness of the envelope or parcel does not exceed 20mm.

Get yourself a gauge or make one up (I did about twenty years ago and it is still working)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

"she doesn't know nothing about it...."

Really?  What do you expect from Canada Post?  Service?

OS = Over Size

GF = equivalent in French: Grand Format

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

My envelope dimension is

18x12x1 cm

Which part is O/S

I've been shipping with same dimension for years and know it's O/S

customer service is **bleep**.

Thank Pierre

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

1cm = 10mm = oversize

For first class lettermail within Canada, the maximum thickness allowed is 5mm. I run across that problem quite often.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Oversize and letter post have the same dimension maximums and the max depth is 2cm.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/usainterspecs.jsf

The light packet labels do say small packet on them but the O/S on them tells the post office that they are light packet. I've noticed though that the O/S designation seems to be off and on.

OP, Did they put a sticker on it saying that it was over the maximum? If you are positive that it is just 1cm, you could take the sticker off and mail it again. It seems as if the person who sent it back was confused.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Hi PJ - your link shows the maximum of 5mm thickness for letterpost to the USA (same maximum as lettermail within Canada)

Up to 20mm goes as Non-Standard or Oversize.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

yes there is a sticker on it. It's say o/s is for 20mm or less...1 inch. That's what I have for thickness. What method is there that is not expensive to ship a nes game to US?

I'm very confuse about there new dimension.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes I know. My mind was telling my fingers to type that oversize and light packet have the same dimensions but by fingers goofed up and typed the wrong thing!

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@liztreasures wrote:

yes there is a sticker on it. It's say o/s is for 20mm or less...1 inch. That's what I have for thickness. What method is there that is not expensive to ship a nes game to US?

I'm very confuse about there new dimension.

There are no new dimensions. If the thickness of the package is less than 20mm you can send it light packet.

At the post office they have a slot that they use to check if an item is small enough to be light packet/oversize.  Perhaps the package did not fit through the slot. Before you mail it again, you could go to a post office and have them check to see if is small enough. Sometimes if the package needs a little 'push' to get through, they will tell you that it is too thick. But if you mail that same package in an outside mail box, (rather than give it to a postal worker) it usually isn't a problem.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

In reply to the original poster:

less than 20mm = about 3/4" NOT one inch.

That is the real problem.  If your thickness exceeds 20mm, and "one inch" does, you cannot use letterpost or Light Packet.

You need to package your game in such way that the thickness of the envelope or parcel does not exceed 20mm.

Get yourself a gauge or make one up (I did about twenty years ago and it is still working)

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I did ask the postal clerk if it was her . She said no, she received I with the label on it. She usually call me when it.s to thick...I have a good postal clerk.

I will ship again and see what happens.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Hi Pierre, you can also buy one of those postal measurement things.  I think it cost $10 and has saved me many times, I couldn't do without it.  This is it.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Good luck - if anyone orders actually receives one, post and let us know.  I have ordered through Canada Post, and they have been back-ordered and out-o-stock for 6 months.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I didn't know they were that hard to get.  I've asked at 2 postal outlets to see if they had any, they didn't.  I'll keep my eye open if I see any, I'll post it.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Save your $10; make your own tool. Take a stiff piece of cardboard and cut a slot in the center of it that is 20 mm by 380 mm. Reinforce the edges of the slot with some packing tape, if need be. I've been using mine for 15 years and it hasn't worn out yet.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply