September 21st 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Unable to add notes to items in My eBay
  • Followers list not displaying properly
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Best Offer on listings that didn't have it in the first place (need examples)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Anchor Store coupon not working/only working on AU site - Issue has been identified and is being worked on between eBay and PayPal. In the meantime CS has been provided with tools to help affected sellers with a work around.
  • Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon.
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

@mjwl2006 wrote:
http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2016/0921/buycanadian.html?ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Fr...

$10 OFF PURCHASE OF $50+

Shop now

How to redeem your Coupon:
Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions)
Pay for your item with PayPal by 10 PM Eastern Time on September 21, 2016
Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: CABUYCANADIAN

Questions? Visit our step-by-step guide

Terms & Conditions:

The Coupon is for a $10 CAD discount off a minimum purchase of $50 CAD, valid until 10:00 PM ET on September 21, 2016. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of eligible items on eBay.com and eBay.ca. Eligible items exclude Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, and Real Estate. Coupon can be used once per PayPal account within a single transaction (or cart), while supplies last. Only eBay members paying with a PayPal account registered with an address located in Canada can receive the discount.

Coupon is subject to Canadian laws, void where prohibited, not redeemable for cash, has no face value, not applicable to previous purchases and cannot be combined with any other Coupon or used when paying with an eBay Gift Card. eBay may cancel, amend, or revoke the Coupon at any time. Use of automated devices or programs for Coupon redemption prohibited.

And just how do we find out about this before the deadline. Too late for me now

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

I received two emails about it today as part of my subscription for eBay Deals. One late morning and the other at suppertime. Are you subscribed to receive messages about eBay Deals?
Message 22 of 44
latest reply

Hi Raphael.  

1.  Did you ever figure out why my listings did not show on any other site other than the one it was listed on?

2.  I was wanting to list something and I did a search on the cards Messages from Your Angels.  Of the 73 that are listed, there are 2 sellers that have quite a few duplicates listed, 1 seller has 6 of the same thing, same price and the other seller has 7 of the same thing same price.  I thought ebay frowned on duplicate listings. 

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Raphael, could you please comment on what eBay is doing to ensure the eBay site is displayed as "secure" for all users?  

See this string for what has come to the attention recently of some sellers: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/I-have-noticed-on-the-URL-that-it-is-unsecure-is-this-new...

Although this subject was just mentioned on Seller Central, there have been warnings to site owners for several months now (I got a couple myself, as I own a website).  Please tell us that eBay is well aware of this change being implemented by Google and aware of the upcoming deadline to take action, and confirm when eBay will be dealing with it.  

This is not a minor issue -- it's the kind of thing that will scare off buyers before they even enter the site. 

Hi rose-dee,

Chrome has a history of being a bit more **bleep** with security warnings than other browsers. Of course, this isn't a bad thing, but one has to understand how SSL certification works and what it means when a specific page is deemed not private. Only when a user exchanges sensitive information with the server would there be a risk that a 3rd party with ill intent could intercept that sensitive information. When I say exchange information, I mean both the user sending data (for example, your username and password) or the server sending information (for example, displaying information on your screen).

As an eBay user, you only exchange sensitive information with the eBay servers when you log in. In any other stage of your interaction with the eBay site, we safeguard your information (your name and address, as well as those of your trading partners, only appear on secure pages). You can verify this yourself, but here is an example, the login page:

With that said, I'm not familiar with new requirements from Google when it comes to security certification, so I have sent emails to a few colleagues, hoping they can help me reach someone who can speak to our readiness in that regard.

Hi Raphael, 

While I appreciate that there may be a reassuring explanation technically from an insider's point of view, my concern was the impression that an average visitor will have when seeing a warning about a particular page (or site, e.g. eBay.ca) being shown as not secure.  

Please refer to the discussion thread I linked above -- apparently as of early 2017, Google will no longer display just those little informational circles (the "i" preceding the URL), but a more disconcerting "insecure" warning.   

Thank you for reaching out to try to alert the appropriate people at eBay.  As I said in that thread, I received a couple of warnings about this Google requirement with respect to my own website, but the messages were so odd and convoluted I thought they were spam or something more nefarious, so I deleted them.  Your people may have to dig a bit to get the details (I haven't checked with Google directly). 

I think it eBay would be wise to look into this seriously, and quickly, because most buyers won't understand the technical nuances behind what they're seeing on their screens.  Otherwise, this could turn into a public relations nightmare, not to mention massive loss of sales for sellers. 

I do recognize that Google thinks it runs the world and is imposing this on everyone willy-nilly.  Maybe they've made a big investment in the companies that sell SSL certificates, or maybe their explanation is legitimate, who knows?  Whatever the rationale, it will very soon be a reality that few can escape if they want to maintain visitor/buyer trust.  Even though apparently Google is the only company putting out this requirement, no doubt others will follow suit.  Is eBay willing to take the chance that 50% of its visitors will believe the site is insecure and therefore unsafe?  

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

After reading, re-reading and re-re-rereading my post/question, I am at a loss to see anywhere I was less than respectful. If you took it otherwise, then I apologize.  

If my frustration showed through in my posting, well, sure, I, along with many Canadian sellers are frustrated with the program.  

My reaction exactly when I read your question and Raphael's response.  Wow, how unfair. 

Many of us are frustrated and feeling rather duped over a coupon programme which eBay promised as a sweetener when it increased store fees by 25%.  The programme which looked good initially, but so far has been next to useless for a lot of Canadian sellers.  

This is indeed, I would say, a problem we sellers can't address.  Which is why many of us have come here to ask about it, and why -- up until now -- Raphael has seemed willing to politely address by telling us changes are planned for an all-Canadian programme, even though no ETA was available.  I don't understand why asking again is suddenly less than respectful.  It seemed an innocent enough inquiry to me.  I would have liked to have asked too. 

Somehow I really don't think you are the one who should be apologizing...

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I received two emails about it today as part of my subscription for eBay Deals. One late morning and the other at suppertime. Are you subscribed to receive messages about eBay Deals?

I never did get those emails, but even so, eBay sending out notices of a coupon deal on the expiry date seems pointless if not downright silly.  Woman Frustrated

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

It's a flash sale for eBay Deals.

You have to subscribe, I believe, to eBay Deals.

The other aspect is the flash component. That's how they work. Fast and poof.
Message 27 of 44
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
It's a flash sale for eBay Deals.
You have to subscribe, I believe, to eBay Deals.
The other aspect is the flash component. That's how they work. Fast and poof.

Aha, you hadn't mentioned this was under eBay Deals by subscription.  I thought it was open to anyone who accessed the "Buy Canadian" promo page.  

Yes, I understand what flash sales are.  Funny, when I run a "flash sale" (and when my favourite U.S. supplier runs a flash sale, as they often do), emails are sent out the day before and the sale is valid for 24 hours, sometimes 48 hours.  You actually need to give customers enough time to see the message and buy.  

This sounds more like a flash in the pan.  Oh well. 

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

One does not need to be a subscriber to eBay Deals to redeem the coupon. One needs to be a subscriber to eBay Deals to get an email about the coupon.
Message 29 of 44
latest reply

Or at least that is my assumption since my email came from eBay Deals Canada.
Message 30 of 44
latest reply

There were also links to the coupon all over the Discussion Board. Anyone online yesterday during the day would have seen it.
Message 31 of 44
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
One does not need to be a subscriber to eBay Deals to redeem the coupon. One needs to be a subscriber to eBay Deals to get an email about the coupon.

Yes, I understood that, but you hadn't mentioned initially that the notification came through an eBay Deals subscription (which is why some of us wondered why we hadn't received the same email).  

I wouldn't be likely to subscribe to eBay Deals (for various reasons), so I suppose I'll never get notified when these once-in-a-blue-moon coupons are offered.  No matter.  I have no money to spend at the moment anyway. Woman Very Happy

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hello Raphael. Good afternoon. I was all set to bemoan the Buy Canadian promo when word came of that sweet coupon deal. Great job. I am looking forward to using it this evening.

My question today is for posed on another member's behalf. Given that ebay Customer Service is only available over the phone, how does one who is hearing-impaired make contact? There is a member looking for help with an INR that has become complicated and he doesn't seem to understand the Internet Replay Protocol TTY process, or whatever it is called. In the meantime, I have reached out to another Discussion Board member who I think has experience with it but I don't know that she has the time to walk this other member through a complicated Return request.

Can you help? Or can you tell me how better to help this gentleman so that I can steer him in the proper direction? Hearing loss runs in my family too so I don't mind knowing for future reference. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buying-on-eBay/How-stop-and-cancel-first-request-before-buy-item-and-req...

Thank you,

Maureen 

Hi Maureen,

People with a hearing disability can contact eBay through IP-Relay (not through TTY). IP-Relay works through the computer. Most internet providers offer an IP-Relay service, which is probably the best thing to tell that individual.

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

@bozonet wrote:

I noticed that the option to sort auction search results by number of bids has disappeared. This was something I used regularly. 

Is this a glitch or yet another "improvement" (ha, ha) to searching? 

As an example, one of my searches usually has around 2000 auction items. With this sort only about 200 or less would have bids and I could browse those in minutes. Items that are rare or unusual will often attract bids so this was a quick way to find potentially interesting things. 

After making a mess of the "Searches you follow" page eBay seems intent on making searching ever more difficult by removing useful options that actually work.  

Hi bozonet,

I'm not aware of this specific change in Search so I can't speak to the motivations or rationale behind it.

When such changes are made at eBay (removing features), it is usually because we were able to measure a very low adoption. We wouldn't usually remove a feature that is widely used. But we do have literally millions of users (approaching 200 million worldwide actually), so even if we decide to deprecate a feature that only 0.01% of the users actually use, we are still taking it away from possibly millions of people. I'm sorry that you were part of that group for this particular feature.

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

Hi snoopwiz,

I'm unsure of what you're expecting me to respond here. If I took your post at face value, I'd say I'm not here to tell you what you should do with your coupon - it's your coupon, you are free to use it or not, and that the program was launched in Q2 (April). If I read between the lines however, my response would be different, because I really don't think you are speaking with all due respect. Need I remind you that I, along with any other eBay employees that may participate in these sessions, come here to help you with issues that you would otherwise be unable to address? Please keep that front of mind going forward. Thanks.

To answer your request for an update, while we don't have any announcement to make yet on a Canadian program, there will soon be a new listing available on the current shipping supplies store, priced at CAD $37 with free shipping from the US and that will include some of our more popular items (tape, poly envelopes and boxes). This new bundle will make eBay shipping supplies available to Canadian sellers with a Basic store without forcing them to add much of their own money to the coupon value.

Hello again. Appreciate the response. After reading, re-reading and re-re-rereading my post/question, I am at a loss to see anywhere I was less than respectful. If you took it otherwise, then I apologize.  

If my frustration showed through in my posting, well, sure, I, along with many Canadian sellers are frustrated with the program. I know you and other eBay employees participate in these sessions in the hope of helping sellers with issues we would otherwise be unable to address. And I know I appreciate that, and have no doubt that many, many others do as well.

I will end this with my offer to you of an olive branch.   

Thanks for understanding and for the olive branch.

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

@block36 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

I experienced problem with simple task to add/edit note on my Active listings list

Seems these notes do not stay.

Yesterday I added a short message for myself on item 262634660251 and noticed that it did not appear immediately but thought that this is just system's slow absorption. The message is not there today and when I press to edit it I did not find anything.

Tried to add a note today on newly listed item 262636384865 and it is not staying.

I pressed proper SAVE button each time.

Hope it can be fixed soon - these notes are quite important to have.

Thank you

Hi block36,

Thanks for the report. I have added it to my list and asked someone to look into it.

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

I receive quite a few emails from various retailers and whenever they have a flash sale they send out the email early that morning and the sale is for that day only so that does seem to be the norm. 

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

@mmmcross wrote:

Hi Raphael,

I'm having an issue related to an inconsistency between eBay.com and eBay.ca that I have been trying to resolve for many weeks and am soon at risk of losing my account over the issue. I have heard of other sellers having the same issue, so I'd like to ask if you could look into it for me and any others who may encounter this problem.

The Gallery Plus feature, which is FREE on .com, is considered a listing upgrade on ebay.ca and costs $1 per listing. I recently migrated some listings in bulk from ebay.com to ebay.ca for the first time, and I accidentally left the Gallery Plus option selected in Turbo Lister. This mistake has resulted in a $1500 charge. I contacted customer service immediately after receiving my invoice. 7 weeks later they have yet to remove the charge or confirm whether or not they are going to remove it, and in a week my account will be suspended for non-payment because I cannot afford the $1500. This was absolutely a mistake on my part, a total accident based on a seemingly arbitrary difference between the American and Canadian versions of the company/website. I've been an eBay member in good standing for 16 years.

I'd appreciate if you could request that eBay Canada bring this feature into line with the American site by making it FREE so that this accident never happens to any other seller. If there is anything you can suggest with regards to my situation, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mmmcross,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We have engaged with several teams to figure this out. Please get in touch with me via email for further discussion. Thanks!

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

And now for something completely different. Handling fees. 

As I am aware (as are most of us) eBay does not set a recommended amount for handling fees, leaving that decision to the individual seller. eBay policy does, however, prohibit 'excessive' handling fees. 

What is considered 'excessive'? An amount equal to the cost of shipping? Or 20 per cent or more the asking price of the item itself? 

It it would help buyers and sellers alike to know how to set and meet expectations. http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/HANDLING-FEES-PRO-or-CON/m-p/351027#M68209

Thank you. 

Handling fees are meant to help seller offset the cost of shipping supplies and the actual work involved in packing an item adequately. The expectation is that the fees stated on the listing reflect the true cost of shipping supplies and a reasonable amount for the work involved. For example, if an item is very fragile and requires special care when packing such as building a crate around it, we would consider that when assessing the legitimacy of handling fees. I can't really give you a rule of thumb as this would be evaluated on a case by case basis; these charges simply have to be reasonable to us and to buyers based on the information included in the listing.

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael, I was the original OP who brought this up.  I was concerned at first for myself and then did some research and with that I am aware that all is OK.  I have a little computer knowledge so I am OK with how it looks for now for me.  

However where my concern lies is the millions of buyers who use google chrome coming across this in Jan 2017 and thinking that it is not secure and not buying on ebay because of that.   It is all about the buyers, if we have no or less buyers, that is an issue. 

the last warning.jpg 

Hi musicyouneed,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. As I told rose-dee, I am looking for someone internally who can speak to this.

Message 40 of 44
latest reply