September 21st 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Unable to add notes to items in My eBay
  • Followers list not displaying properly
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Best Offer on listings that didn't have it in the first place (need examples)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Anchor Store coupon not working/only working on AU site - Issue has been identified and is being worked on between eBay and PayPal. In the meantime CS has been provided with tools to help affected sellers with a work around.
  • Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon.
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

@mjwl2006 wrote:

One final thing, if you don't mind.

How is it possible for a brand new seller with zero feedback to be allowed to list 2.3 million items for sale on ebay Canada?

Are we not all held to the same standards of selling limits and, if not, what is the reason for this?

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/How-is-this-even-possible-New-seller-zero-feedback-with-o...

It's possible that this is a secondary account belonging to a larger business seller with an established reputation on eBay. For example if one of our larger sellers decided to start selling into a new vertical, say an electronics seller who finds a great opportunity selling fashion, would want to create a brand new account so to not confuse their existing buyers with their new items. We would allow them to operate with very deep seller limits because they have already proven to be able to handle the volume.

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael.  

1.  Did you ever figure out why my listings did not show on any other site other than the one it was listed on?

2.  I was wanting to list something and I did a search on the cards Messages from Your Angels.  Of the 73 that are listed, there are 2 sellers that have quite a few duplicates listed, 1 seller has 6 of the same thing, same price and the other seller has 7 of the same thing same price.  I thought ebay frowned on duplicate listings. 

1. Sorry I haven't received anything from the colleague who is looking into this yet. He is working on this.

2. Duplicates aren't allowed and we usually catch them pretty quickly. If you want to be more specific with your report I,ll send it to someone who can take appropriate action.

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Raphael, could you please comment on what eBay is doing to ensure the eBay site is displayed as "secure" for all users?  

See this string for what has come to the attention recently of some sellers: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/I-have-noticed-on-the-URL-that-it-is-unsecure-is-this-new...

Although this subject was just mentioned on Seller Central, there have been warnings to site owners for several months now (I got a couple myself, as I own a website).  Please tell us that eBay is well aware of this change being implemented by Google and aware of the upcoming deadline to take action, and confirm when eBay will be dealing with it.  

This is not a minor issue -- it's the kind of thing that will scare off buyers before they even enter the site. 

Hi rose-dee,

Chrome has a history of being a bit more **bleep** with security warnings than other browsers. Of course, this isn't a bad thing, but one has to understand how SSL certification works and what it means when a specific page is deemed not private. Only when a user exchanges sensitive information with the server would there be a risk that a 3rd party with ill intent could intercept that sensitive information. When I say exchange information, I mean both the user sending data (for example, your username and password) or the server sending information (for example, displaying information on your screen).

As an eBay user, you only exchange sensitive information with the eBay servers when you log in. In any other stage of your interaction with the eBay site, we safeguard your information (your name and address, as well as those of your trading partners, only appear on secure pages). You can verify this yourself, but here is an example, the login page:

With that said, I'm not familiar with new requirements from Google when it comes to security certification, so I have sent emails to a few colleagues, hoping they can help me reach someone who can speak to our readiness in that regard.

Hi Raphael, 

While I appreciate that there may be a reassuring explanation technically from an insider's point of view, my concern was the impression that an average visitor will have when seeing a warning about a particular page (or site, e.g. eBay.ca) being shown as not secure.  

Please refer to the discussion thread I linked above -- apparently as of early 2017, Google will no longer display just those little informational circles (the "i" preceding the URL), but a more disconcerting "insecure" warning.   

Thank you for reaching out to try to alert the appropriate people at eBay.  As I said in that thread, I received a couple of warnings about this Google requirement with respect to my own website, but the messages were so odd and convoluted I thought they were spam or something more nefarious, so I deleted them.  Your people may have to dig a bit to get the details (I haven't checked with Google directly). 

I think it eBay would be wise to look into this seriously, and quickly, because most buyers won't understand the technical nuances behind what they're seeing on their screens.  Otherwise, this could turn into a public relations nightmare, not to mention massive loss of sales for sellers. 

I do recognize that Google thinks it runs the world and is imposing this on everyone willy-nilly.  Maybe they've made a big investment in the companies that sell SSL certificates, or maybe their explanation is legitimate, who knows?  Whatever the rationale, it will very soon be a reality that few can escape if they want to maintain visitor/buyer trust.  Even though apparently Google is the only company putting out this requirement, no doubt others will follow suit.  Is eBay willing to take the chance that 50% of its visitors will believe the site is insecure and therefore unsafe?   

I assure you we don't usually leave such things unattended, even if I personally don't know off hand what is being done with regards to this Google Chrome alert. 

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

This concludes out session for this week. Thanks for joining and see you next time!

Message 44 of 44
latest reply