AnyStore Sellers Uneasy About Ebay Wanting Access Directly To Your Banking?

As I see this new one stop shopping Global Initiative roll out to supposedly make our lives as sellers easier, I am not sure how I like the idea of eBay having more direct access to my info than they already have. I can't see anywhere if this is mandatory? Is it for stores only? HOw do you feel about it? I am quite satsified with things the way they are (with the exception of very limited actual seller support).

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Shopify is the way to go...

They also have different "tiers" of stores...

On it, you control your own "business" you set the terms and conditions, you set the theme, you set the deals and returns, you decided, it's your site.

On feeBay is their way or the highway...

And, remember eBay SELLS NOTHING but "virtual space" and that is in abundance everywhere...

eBay does not OWN any inventory, but they like to dictate how you sell yours...and the price you sell it for.

eBay likes to "force" sellers into "programs"...

eBay is going the way of the dodo...

eBay "Managed Payments" are a nightmare, read other eBay sites and reactions to it, as for myself I will wait until the final sec to accept this from ebay, if I accept it at all...

Also, I could reduce my store size plan here and open a small store on Shopify (Unlimited items can be listed for any store size on Shopify and BTW its a better deal than eBay no matter the store size).

As for the fees, Shopify's are more appealing. No "Coupons" for overpriced eBay branded packaging it must be said, but I am not selling for eBay, so who really cares.

It's my Brand I will be pushing from this day forward, not eBays brand.  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

They are rolling it out in phases but it will eventually be mandatory for everyone.

My main issue is the lack of transparency. When something as major as this is rolling out, sellers should have all of the details months ahead but there are still grey areas about how things will work.  If I had a choice, I doubt that I would change but if we want to sell here we will have use their payment processor.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Just like the "Defects" eBay "removes" but will never give the Seller a clue as to what these "Defects" relate too...

...with eBay everything is 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Don't know what all that spam has to do with the OP's query?

We've heard it all before;

Bonanza, Etsy, etc., and now Spotify... and we're all still here.

Anyway, sayonara and good luck.

See you soon.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

One important difference-- Spotify is not a tiny startup, nor is it American.
According to the Globe and Mail today, Spotify is larger than the Royal Bank.

I'm considering putting my stores on both. I also list* on Amazon.

* List because sales there are pitiful. YMMV.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@autodstuff wrote:

... I can't see anywhere if this is mandatory? Is it for stores only? HOw do you feel about it?

MP will eventually become mandatory for everyone (not just stores).

It is being rolled out in phases with the first batch of Canadian sellers to be in MP around the end of July 2020.

It will be a new learning experience, which means a seller will have to adjust their selling plans.

* I plan to dust off an old Tangerine (formerly ING Direct) bank account just for ebay MP use. Tangerine is fee free for the basics and transfer time is okay. MotusBank and Simplii are low fee alternatives.  Perhaps add Tangerine overdraft protection in case MP wants to pull money from the account.

* I'll be taking a hard look at my ebay.com listings since those will cost more and adjust or drop.

* Rethink how I will use PayPal in the future

MP is a pig-in-the-poke(*) choice at the moment, so I'll be watching the details as they appear.

(*) an old agricultural phrase when you buy an animal with only the head showing

-..-

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It's not SPAM, it's a fact & the Original Poster asked how we "feel" about eBay's "Managed Payments" and I gave her a reply, it worked on you too as you went to look at Shopify.  your reply has a direct link to the Shopify trial page...

So, you looked at Shopify, see it's also Canadain.

I have, and like others, I am opening a basic store, and if need will reduce the store I have on this site.

I will actually save money and have two "locations".

And, more "control".

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Hey, thanks for the direct link to the Shopify trial page...that you included in your reply!

I guess my "Spam" worked you went to look 😉

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Its NOT Spotify

It's Shopify, the "poster" did not read before posting the reply. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

There's no doubt Shopify has a lot to offer and is a very good option for a lot of larger businesses provided they're willing to commit the time, money and the daily effort required to promote the site.

A couple years back I trialed Shopify only to find the base subscription doesn't really buy what's needed in the end, by the time one is finished adding in a selection of 3rd party apps to customize the shopping cart etc. the monthly cost doubles, triples and more very quickly. In the end it all seemed rather more expensive than the average small-time ebay seller can justify. Shopify bills subscribers in USD too plus GST/HST … 29.99 converted to CAD is quite a lot of money when you consider this monthly cost buys the site ZERO traffic.

Yes, there are sales channels available for ebay, amazon, facebook, etc. but those connected 3rd party apps are prone to frustrations and shortcomings plus all the usual marketplace fees still apply.

What about Shopify Payments? Very similar setup to eBay's Managed Payments in fact. 30 cents plus 2.9 for domestic sales, deposited to bank account 3 days later if all goes well.

Yes, Shopify is still allowing subscribers to setup using PayPal as the exclusive payment processor but they then add an extra 2% on top of whatever fees PayPal charges … kind of pricy.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Shopify, that is a platform that allows you to set up your own online store with a domain name? 

Except they don't have a dedicated marketplace... so unless there is a dedicated marketplace for individual stores then how is someone supposed to find your items for sale? A Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo Search?

Have you tried using a search engine lately? One has to take great pains to eliminate eBay/old-ebay/1stDibs/pinterest/picclick/old-etsy/amazon/chairish/thespruce-x/ad-sense-spam-site-x to even find a legitimate online Main Street storefront.

How often do you purchase from such retail outlets once found?
And how do you search them out and do business with them?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

"Shopify, that is a platform that allows you to set up your own online store with a domain name?"

No, domain names are a separate charge. I pay for a .com domain and a .ca domain which adds up to roughly 20.00 USD each per year.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

"Yes, Shopify is still allowing subscribers to setup using PayPal as the exclusive payment processor but they then add an extra 2% on top of whatever fees PayPal charges … kind of pricy".

Yes, that's another reason I didn't go with Shopify for the website. After paying a monthly fee for using their website design/platform there was also an extra 2% charged on top of the PayPal fees....

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

2% big deal, eBay takes 12% on the shipping we charge!

It's OK maybe Shopify is not a good fit for you, but it is for millions of Sellers already...

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

There are pros and cons regardless of where you sell.  I would think that the main problem with straying away from the marketplace sites is in how to draw in customers.  A person probably has to do a lot more social media marketing and perhaps pay for advertising through google shopping or other online advertising.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I'm not saying Shopify is bad... I've had my own fully functioning website since 2017. The website company wanted to know if I wanted to use Shopify for the website platform/framework which was between 30.00-40.00 a month plus 2% of the PayPal transaction. It was cheaper using Shopify to build my website but I would be paying a monthly fee for using Shopify plus 2% so I decided to have the website company build it from scratch. It costed more initially but I don't have to pay any monthly fees and the 2% extra from PayPal. So in the long run I'll save lots of money.... 

I wanted to own my website free and clear without having any third party involvement.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply