ATTENTION ! found an ebay loophole. A member was allowed to change his address information in the mi

ATTENTION ! found an ebay loophole. A member was allowed to change his address information in the middle of a transaction.

NOW I'm THE BADGUY here and ebay is turning their head the other way. There **bleep** UP, and of course they won't admit it.

Now I have a **bleep** mess with paypal.

attention members, EBAY HAS NO TEETH TO TAKE ACTION ON BEHALF OF THEIR BUYERS AND SELLERS !

GET OFF OF EBAY WHILE YOU CAN.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

ATTENTION ! found an ebay loophole. A member was allowed to change his address information in the mi

So as I understand it, the buyer purchased and you sent to the address on his Paypal account.

The buyer then changed the address, or possible added another address. People move. I just did a month ago and will be moving again at the end of this month. It happens.

You should know that Paypal allows a account holder to have several addresses, which are often called 'gift ' addresses since they are often used to send presents directly to the recipient rather than going to the buyer and being reshipped.

The buyer claims he did not receive the purchase.

Did you use tracking? If so, give PP the tracking number so they can see that delivery was attempted.

Was the purchase refused by the person at the old address? If so it is on its way back to you. Eventually.

Was the purchase accepted at the old address? If so you did your job. If the PP clerk can't see that, ask politely for a supervisor.

Paypal does have a record of previous addresses. We know that because every now and then the system hiccups and a buyer finds his parcel has been sent to an old address, sometimes one that has not been valid for years.

But now that you have had your rant, write down all your transaction numbers, dates and tracking information and call Paypal back. Do this from the PP site.

Politely--- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

What do you mean by in the middle of a transaction? A buyer can change their address when they pay for an item but not after that. The seller is supposed to send the item to the address that is given with the payment confirmation. Did something other than that happen?

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Loophole? People move. I moved out Aug 7th. I was still legally there until the 15th. I was moving to NFA until I got where I was going. I now have an address for, oh, 6-7 weeks, and then moving again.

So, Mr Loophole, I had one address, an NFA, another address, and another one, all in two months. You can have this loophole as it has made a mess of my life.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I recently ran into a situation with a problem with the ... Primary Mailing Address.

The buyer  lives near Vancouver BC  and will at times uses a Blaine WA address in the US. 

Buyer bought a book and the address on eBay as well as the Paypal payment was the Blaine WA, the US address...

but...  buyer wanted me to ship to the BC address..

That is when I found out the following -----

The Primary Mailing Address is indicated only  on eBay...   and will be indicated on the Sales Record

Under Accounts > Addresses....... Several addresses can be listed......  However, with each purchase one has to identify the Primary Shipping Address for that purchase.

Paypal is linked to eBay and the Primary Address on eBay becomes the mailing address on Paypal.

The only way to change the primary mailing address is to do so on eBay before a purchase.

I eventually refunded  the payment,   and forwarded an invoice through Paypal... the buyer linked the BC address to the Paypal payment  and everything worked out.  Buyer got an explanation in a letter included with the book that was purchased

-------------------------------------

A lot of checking was done  on Paypal.....  The only way to change a Primary Mailing Address is to do so on eBay... and before a purchase was made...

Paypal and eBay are linked.

It is my understanding that buyers used to be able to change the mailing address on Paypal...... That appears to have changed.

Today the Primary Mailing Address is identified   on eBay in the  Sales Record   and the Paypal payment  is linked to this address.

Most likely a very recent adjustment on the part of eBay... perhaps a very recent adjustment

Many buyers do not have more than one address on eBay.

However,  my buyer  has to make an adjustment on eBay.... This buyer can have both addresses ( and some will have more than two addresses) listed on eBay, and  must choose whether to ship to the Canadian or to the US address( or any other address)

I suspect that this buyer used the US address almost to the exclusion of the BC address,  because so much was purchased from US sellers.

-----------------------------------------

I will get an email from eBay indicating that a purchase has been made... Sometimes  this address is different than the one on the Sales record...

But... the address on Paypal is always the same as the address on on the Sales Record on eBay.

It used to be quite confusing... and if the addresses were different  a buyer was asked to confirm the mailing address...

------------------------------------------

Do buyers always know what to do?  Maybe....  But then a buyer most likely has only one address on eBay, and there is no question with respect to the Primary mailing address... on eBay... and then on Papal

Can a buyer change the mailing address after the Primary Mailing address is indicated on eBay...  not likely... should not occur

Is there a Loophole?... I would doubt that.....  The new linkage between eBay and Paypal should not allow for such a loophole to occur.... and what is seen as a loophole is most likely misinterpretation.... of the current linkage between eBay and Paypal.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

It was many,  and many more years ago when I ran into a most unusual situation.

I was checking addresses... A found three different addresses.

(1) An address with the email received for eBay  indicating a purchase was made.

(2) A different address  was indicated with the Paypal payment.

(3) Looking for some form of verification  by checking the ...Contact Information .... option... and found a third address.

Not too unexpected ... as I was in the process of selling several books  that dealt with magic spells, voodoo,  and  Haitian as well as Brazilian activities associated  mysticism and more.

The mailing address was eventually identified... This book was going to a "very unusual" group of people....

-------------------------------------------------------

Two boxes of books were bought at a local auction for $4.....  Kept 13 books to sell on eBay... sold the rest to a local antique dealer...for $20

The total for all books sold on eBay was $350...  

The first sold for $100 and went to Germany....  It was an English translation of a book originally published in the German language, in Germany!

and ... Book 13 never sold!   Not to be unexpected  ... based on the factor the books dealt with magic, voodoo  and many other things  most unusual activities... Who would want book 13..... but ... How did everyone know it was Book 13?

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

I woke up alive, this morning. Always a good start to the day. It is sunny and warm. Pretty much yer basic nice day.

Are we still supposed to get off eBay while we can because one yelling seller, had one problem, once?

Oh! Isn't this interesting, our precious OP is NARU. Apparently, for Chicken Little, the sky has fallen.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

OP should compare

the address on the Sales Record on eBay  

to the address

that came with the Paypal payment....

Buyer must identify the Primary Mailing on eBay....  and Paypal is linked to that address....

My understanding that there should be  NO loophole..... for any given transaction....

Going back to my situation... Blaine WA versus BC.... as hipping addresses

The only way the buyer could change the mailing address was to refund the first payment,

cancel the transaction,  ..................the Primary mailing Address is changed on eBay,

buyer makes purchase  and pays in relation to the new address indicated on eBay

Today a buyer cannot change the mailing address on Paypal.

A buyer cannot change the mailing address after a payment  has been made....

Because  the Paypal address is directly linked to the eBay address.

This protects the seller  as It is recommended... highly recommended.. that the seller ship to the address indicated on Paypal...

Buyers can no longer misdirect a seller...  Seller Protection on Paypal!!!

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

OOPsss

and his last feedback was .......

Fantastic Seller. Great communicater, and excellent items, Thank you.

OOOPssss

One can conclude   that ....Chicken Little... just might some days be called Chicken BIG  on eBay....

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

OP has taken their toys and gone home. We are left with a tempest in a teapot.
Photobucket
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

The only way the buyer could change the mailing address was to refund the first payment,

cancel the transaction,  ..................the Primary mailing Address is changed on eBay,

As you said, the buyer can not change the address once they have paid but I believe that if you refund and then invoice the buyer again, they can change the address when they pay. I don't think that it is necessary to cancel the transaction in order for them to change the address.

BUT, if you refund a purchase without a cancellation stating that the buyer requested it, the seller will receive a defect so although it isn't necessary to cancel and have the buyer repurchase, it might be the best way to do it. I have also sent items to the address a buyer has requested even if it isn't showing on the payment and have never had a problem. I might not do that if the item was very expensive but in many cases, it is the easiest solution for both buyer and seller.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Sending an invoice through Paypal worked in my situation...

I get the impression  that once a Primary Mailing Address is indicated on eBay...  it cannot be changed  as indicated with a search for information about mailing addresses on Paypal...    Paypal calls it the Merchant site.... which for me is eBay

I had to break that link between eBay and Paypal by invoicing through Paypal  with the buyer then indicating the correct mailing address to BC

I was well aware of the defect  possibility with cancellation of the transaction...

and everything worked out ....  had to be careful not to trigger a defect

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

The link between eBay and Paypal, prevent a buyer from changing the address on Paypal.

Buyer must specific the Primary Mailing address on eBay, and only on eBay.

Once that primary mailing address is identified on eBay, and for a transaction....  I get the impression it cannot be changed.

I have come to this conclusion and doing search for information on both eBay and Paypal.

Follow

Account Tab > Addresses...... The last address is the Primary Shipping Address

Click on ... View All Shipping addresses

If there is only one address... Everything is ... easy.

If there are more than one address... then 

go to the right of the address,,, in its own “box”  and click on … Make Primary

and this address pops to the top of the list and becomes the Primary Shipping Address

This becomes the shipping address in the Sales Record on eBay  and the same address is indicated when a payment is made on Paypal

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

You've totally lost me with your comment about invoicing through paypal to break the link between ebay and Paypal.

You could have invoiced again through ebay. The buyer can change their address at any point before they pay for the transaction. For example, if I put one of your items in my cart and then click on checkout, my default address comes up but so does a link to change the address. I have the option of leaving it on the default, putting in a totally new address or indicating that I want to use another address that I already have entereted on my ebay profile. Whichever address I choose to use when I pay is the address that the seller will see on both paypal and ebay.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I got the impression my buyer was confused... and buyer asked me to forward an invoice through Paypal.  That worked 

I was hesitant all of the way until the right address appeared with the Paypal payment.

This may be a question for Wednesday..

Can one change a Primary Shipping address  once an item has been purchased.... and payment has not been made

I do not know if the address can be changed on eBay and re-invoiced with the new address  in the situation described by me.. I would have like it if the buyer did so....   Changed the address on eBay...

I did the best I could and was hesitant all of the way....  until the BC address was seen on Paypal in association with the payment.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply

Can one change a Primary Shipping address  once an item has been purchased.... and payment has not been made

I know that a person can have more than one address on their ebay account but as you said, one is set up as a default. If a buyer purchases an item does the correct address already have to be set as the default or can it be done at the time of payment......I 'think' that it can be done at the time of payment just like it can be done on the cart, however I don't know that for a fact. It would be easy enough to figure out by doing a test purchase.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

I wanted the buyer with that BC versus Blaine WA purchase  to run a a test for me....

The payment had been refunded... and I wanted to see if he could change the Primary Mailing Address on eBay... and if the Sales Record would show the change in address....

I sent an email indicating how to make the change... but buyer said he did not receive the email

It was Labour Day Monday  

I felt the buyer  was getting a bit antsy... so I sent an invoice through Paypal and that worked..  as the buyer requested...

close but not close enough.... to answer the question

Ask a question on Wednesday....

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

You refunded the payment but didn't cancel the transaction and didn't get a defect?

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

Payment was refunded ... because buyer's address on Paypal record was not correct....

It was not a cancelled transaction

It was not a part of a case....  

and a payment with the correct Canadian address was received.  

Nothing indicated on my trending data on my Dashboard....  So far....

All of my communication with the buyer was through eBay Messages...  I did this on purpose.....

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

I'm with PJ, I'm missing something here.

Does not matter why you refund, just, if you do, a defect is the result, w/o a buyer blamed cancellation.

Photobucket
Message 20 of 30
latest reply