CANADA POST INCREASE/COSTS are No Longer Affordable to eBay Sellers

I would like to comment on the new Canada Post Shipping changes effective January 14, 2013.

eBay Canada Sellers will slowly faze out selling due to the changes implemented by our friendly, unionized Canada Post.

After doing the research, it appears USPS postal service & Royal Mail service are the cheapest postal services when it concerns sending small items with weights under 100 grams.

Canadian sellers who ship anything 100 grams and under, are forced to use Small Packets Air USA & Small Packets International which have an automatic cost starting at $7.60 & up. Gone now is the Light Weight Packet Service all together at an affordable cost of $3.00. Gone now is the $100. automatic insurance Small Packets provided up until this new change.

The new change Canada Post is boasting about. What a crock of ka ka.  To Tracket with automatic insurance starts at a lovely $13.00 for a package of 0-100 grams .

Has Canada Post actually lost profit, or is this about Canada Post wanting to rub shoulders with ???? Someone can fill in the blanks.

Seriously?

Thanks to Canada Post, eBay Sellers can count on even a greater difficulty selling items online.

eBay should then turn around and thank Canada Post for the cause of decrease in annual percentage sales volumne overall.

What a wonderful corporate decision!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: CANADA POST INCREASE/COSTS are No Longer Affordable to eBay Sellers

I agree totally with this member. I have been shipping with the Light Packets methods since 2008 and also have no lost packages either to the Us or Internationally. Previously I used Small Packets on occassion for larger priced orders weighing up to 250 grams because it was insured. Now that it isn't insured anymore I never use it. I just use the higher weight bracket for Light Packets instead since my items are under 2 cm thick. The only time I will ever use the Tracked Packet is if the order is over $100 which doesn't happen often. The one time I have used it so far, I paid a % of the cost of shipping as a thank you to my buyer for purchasing a large order. So we will see if that will encourage this buyer to purchase from me in the future. I think it will, but if it doesn't then I am stil glad I used it so I knew the package was delivered. The extra money I paid out of my pocket for the shipping was worth my peace of mind on this large purchase.

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

I agree! ... they're thieves! ... Financially things haven't been great for Canada Post - Thanks for many unionized workers who probably slacked on the job for the last decades!!! ... Now ...we're the ones having to absorb the cost!

These sneaky increases are also killing my Ebay business! ... as I can no longer compete with the US sellers! ...

THANKS CANADA POST! ... Hope one day you guys go OUT OF BUSINESS! ...  From now on ... I'm getting my bills sent 

online ... and will turn to UPS and provide them with my business!

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

I really don't understand why people are pointing out that Canada Post has unionized staff as though it's a bad thing.

If Canada Post didn't have unionized staff, perhaps there wouldn't be a pension plan for these employees to pay into and their pay might be a bit lower, but if there weren't these perks it's likely that Canada Post wouldn't attract the same caliber of employee, either.  Employee turnover would be higher and service would suffer as there would be a lot more wasted energy put into training new employees who would likely quit in a couple of years.

As it is, a lot of Canada Post's retail operations are now in the hands of franchisees that don't employ Canada Post employees anyway.

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

These sneaky increases are also killing my Ebay business!... as I can no longer compete with US sellers!

All due respect, but you seem to be selling a lot of nickel product ,with miniscule margins, in a highly competitive field.

Unless you are selling a minimum of 50 - 100 of these items a day, ouchie. 

Your shipping costs on the majority of your nickel items are also a loonie too high.

Again all due respect, but your business model needs a major adjustment.

Sorry, but your effort is producing diminishing returns.

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

I'm totally lost here!?!

I have a pricing brochure in front of me.

Light Packet:  150g:  $3.79 (used to be $2.65!!! - what an increase!!!)

Light Packet:  250 G :  $6.37

Light Packet 500G:  $10.66

Small packet:  150-250g:  $8.03

Small packet:  500 g:  $10.66

small packet 1 Kg:  $16.03

Manon

Message 45 of 60
latest reply

of course! ... it's always ends up coming out of our pockets! 

I sure wish someone would start up a company ... to compete with Canada post ... and drive them right out of business! ... 

most of them have been sitting on their cozy jobs too long! ... 

The $ they pay these guys?!!!! ... 

Message 46 of 60
latest reply

Hi!  I have had relatives working for Canada Post ... for a few decades ... and ... the stories I heard ... gives Canada Post a very bad name! ...

Message 47 of 60
latest reply

"I'm totally lost here!?!'

The rate increase in Light Pocket service is very high, more or less matching the rate increase in lettermail (Canada) and letterpost (USA/International)

There is a difference in timing.  Light Packet rates are in effect now; lettermail and letterpost rates go into effect at the end of March.

There is also an important change in the brackets for Light Packet.  Envelopes/parcels in the 100g-150g range seem to benefit from the change.

Every seller should take the time to get the new rates and understand them as they relate to their business model.  Pricing adjustments may be required in some instances.

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

Hi! 

I'm in the midst of clearing out my craft room ... so liquidating the stuff I have on hand at the moment ... 

As for my shipping rates ... I mail most of them using Small light packet ... and the shipping rate ... I have in front of me ...

in their latest price increase pamphlet does state:  $3.79 for 150g .. so no ... I'm not charging a loonie too much for my shipping charges ... 

Wish I could sell 50-100 of these items a day ... but it is a very competitive world out there ... and I can't over price my items ... and them charge them an arm and a leg for shipping ...

So ... I'm trying to get what I can at the moment ... might be a miniscule margins at the moment ... but it's better to have a few more nickels in my pocket then have the stuff sitting around in my craft room ... gathering dust ...

I'm just outraged with Canada Post's ongoing price increases! ... and this one was a sneaky one ... they're not out there to help out Ebayers ... You know ... I remember a few years ago ... they had advertised this new service - fill out a box for $26 ... what ever happened to that? ... 

And to top it off ... I'm going to lose my door to door mail delivery service ... not that it was all that great anyways ... as most of my mail always ends up at my neighbors mailbox ... how the mailman can't see the difference between a 6 and an 8 blows my mind! ... and ... just last week ... I got a package ... something I had ordered back in Sept. 2013 ... that finally landed at my door on Jan.14/2014 ... 

And ... funny enough ... some relatives had sent me gift cards ... which oddly enough ... never made it to my mailbox ... and I sure was delighted when I read the news of 2 Ontario postal workers stealing mail! ... 

Message 49 of 60
latest reply

You're right Pierre ... we need to find the time to understand those new rates ... but man! ... every year we go through those changes ... and they always change them to their advantages ...

Why have they taken the option to send parcels to the US via ground? ... that was much more economical back then! ... 

and I'm sure I wasn't the only using that service back in the days! ...

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

I checked some of your listings and found: UPS Standard To Canada

You may want to take a look.

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

"their latest price increase pamphlet does state:  $3.79 for 150g"

How much for 120g, 140g Light Packet?

How does that compare to last year?

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

Hi Pierre!

Oh my! ... you're right ... they mostly all say that!?! ... and the problem is ... I tried to revise it in bulk ... won't allow me ... seems like I have to change it manually ... all 200 listings! ... 

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

You can revise the listings in bulk. I suggest small batches of 50.  You must be on the same site (eBay.com or eBay.ca) as when you listed them.

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

Hi!

Last night I mailed a package to a customer from my other Ebay site ... and I had quoted him $13.95 ... and last night I was charged $16.03 to send it small packet 1 kg ... so lost some $$ on that deal ...

The clerk at the postal counter gave me the pamphlet with the new rates ...

And that's what it states:

Small packet (Air only):  up to 150g/250g:  $8.03 - up to 500g:  $10.66 - up to 1 kg: $16.03

As for light packet:  up to 150 g:  $3.79 - up to 250 g:  46.37 up to 500 g: $10.66

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

thanks will give it a try now ...

Message 56 of 60
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I'm totally lost here!?!'

The rate increase in Light Pocket service is very high, more or less matching the rate increase in lettermail (Canada) and letterpost (USA/International)

There is a difference in timing.  Light Packet rates are in effect now; lettermail and letterpost rates go into effect at the end of March.

There is also an important change in the brackets for Light Packet.  Envelopes/parcels in the 100g-150g range seem to benefit from the change.

Every seller should take the time to get the new rates and understand them as they relate to their business model.  Pricing adjustments may be required in some instances.

The difficulties is that organizations like Canada Post (CPC), modernized unions (not the old style kind that actually worked well),  and even eBay or PBI themselves make decisions without fully understanding their ramifications, instead choosing only how the change will effect their organization internally.

Yearly changes cannot be processed by the market, they simply cannot as it takes too long to re-tool the logistics processes and to "get the hang of things" again with such changes. It's easy for CPC themselves as their own processes just remain the same but just the numbers change, meanwhile everyone else has to "understand" how this effects the market which quickly turns into a tailspin of inefficiency, consider:

1. CPC Increases rates to make up for losses

2. Sellers have to retool their processes to understand rates

3. Due to (2), shipments are not as efficient by the sellers
4. CPC's total income goes down even further as sellers (and non-ebayers) slow down temporarily

5. Go back to 1

While this may seem like "just business", it may be acceptable to a large business that has investment funds to fall back upon in hard times (often large enough businesses get preferential bulk rates for shipping so even that's not an issue at times), but for small business and individuals, steps 2 and 3 of the above can kill. Nobody at CPC understands THAT.

When you're in business as someone small and all of your business time is spent researching the market and "understanding" rates and so forth, you have no time to make and/or ship product because you're too busy with things that are almost regarded by most as force majure, as if they're handed down by a deity.

Seldom does anyone affirmatively challenge these almost force majure elements like rate hikes and so forth because nobody has the time to, so organizations responsible for these elements assume everything is okay and continue with hikes and whatnot.

Truth be told: CPC is not a deity nor staffed by any deities.

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

thanks Pierre ... I'm greatful for your help! ...

I'm in the midst of changing the info ... 

Smiles

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

"Nobody at CPC understands THAT."

It is important to understand where the CEO of Canada Post comes from: Pitney-Bowes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepak_Chopra_%28Canada_Post%29

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

Would you be better off selling some of the nickel items in a lot & ship for one price ?

I don't know your market, but you seem to be spending a lot of time on low margins.

Message 60 of 60
latest reply