Chargeback For Unauthorized Payment

Paypal refund a buyer money for an item purchased plus chargeback fee of $20 because the person filed a chargeback for "Unauthorized Payment"?

I sent Paypal the transaction showing that the item was shipped - although it did not have tracking.  The person information is on the invoice.  I guess that does not prove that someone else may have used their credit card but why am I the one losing and not the credit card company?  Clearly someone made a purchase?  And to me this is not a shipping issue?

Am I missing something?  Maybe I'm missing something and you guys can explain.

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Chargeback For Unauthorized Payment

By the way... Should I ask the buyer to return the item?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ok. I just realized that my 2nd question don't make sense.  I guess I was blinded with anger - LOL

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

"Am I missing something? "

O would think most active sellers got a few of these over the years.

I suggest you call (in this instance a telephone call is much more powerful than an email or message) the buyer and ask what exactly is happening. 

Did he want the item? Did he purchase it?  Did he or a member of his household receive it?

If so, how will they pay for it and arrange to have PayPal cancel the $20 chargeback charge?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

How did you mail it?  If it is unauthorized you only need to show proof of shipment.  Isnt there a case open with paypal asking for a response?

"

Proof of Shipment

Proof of shipment is required when you received an unauthorized payment and can be an online or physical proof from the shipping company. It should include:

• The date the item is shipped.
  • The buyer’s address that matches the shipping address on the Transaction Details page. This address should indicate at least the city and province, or city and country, or postal code (or international equivalent)."

Obviously contact the buyer and ask what is going on.   How much is it?  Is it a new account or one that has been dormant?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

As mentioned, in order to win an unauthorized chargeback you have to show proof of shipping to the address on the paypal transaction. I'm guessing that the proof you sent Paypal did not have any sort of address on it so it was unlikely that you would win.

In a situation like this, it is usually best just to refund the buyer. It may not seem fair but if you had done that, Paypal wouldn't have had to rule and would not have tacked on the extra $20 charge.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The document I sent Paypal had the following:

- The buyers name
- The buyers address
- The item name
- The item price
- How it was shipped

What I don't understand is why am I out of $ instead of the million dollar companies?  I wasn't the one who used the card.

Anyway, I did call and they said that they refunded the person for now but is continuing to follow up - somehow I don't believe that.

Thanks for your input guys!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Re: calling... Didn't know I could do that.  I will do that and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I have had three of those in the past. One was the adult  son of the buyer, she was in the hospital and he was buying a gift for HER and when she got home and found the payments on her credit card, she cancelled them. I didn't get the money back on two of them, but one was a buyer who accidentally used a closed credit card, and she repaid after I called her.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I have had this happen 3 times in the past couple of years. 

Most of the items I sell are less than $20 in value and are shipped by Canada Post lettermail with no tracking. Ebay and Paypal want a tracking # to show proof of shipment. Do they not realize that it cost 6 or 7 times as much to ship with tracking by Canada Post compared to lettermail? Canada Post prices are insane to ship small items with tracking.

In all 3 cases, the buyer left positive feedback. I used the positive feedback as proof of shipment. If the buyer left positive feedback, then the buyer has obviously received the item and was happy with it. If the buyer was happy with the item, then they obviously authorized the purchase.

In all 3 cases, I messaged the buyer and was ignored. Never tried calling.

In all 3 cases, the name and address on the buyers Paypal account matched the name and address on the buyers Ebay account. 

One of the cases, Paypal ruled in my favour. The positive feedback that the buyer left was accepted as proof of shipment. 2 of the cases, Paypal ruled in the buyers favour and hit me with a $20 chargeback fee because I failed to show proof of shipment!! I sent the exact same info with all 3. It must depend on the Paypal employee that happens to review your case. Sometimes you get a good one. Most of the time, you get a clueless idiot reviewing your case and you are out of luck.

Isn't it Paypals responsibility to make sure that purchases paid for with Paypal are authorized????? Why is this the sellers fault?????

I totally understand your frustration. I was extremely **bleep** at the 2 times when Paypal ruled in the buyers favour. Especially when the buyers had left positive feedback about how they were very pleased with the item. I guess I'd be happy with any item that I got for free.

When a buyer does a chargeback, Paypal should blacklist the credit card # from their system so that the buyer can never use that credit card with Paypal again.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply