INR case opened by Germany buyer

So I had a relatively new German buyer open an INR on me on a book that was shipped Nov 30th... now the problem is, when I clicked respond to case, everything is on German. How am I gonna respond?

My next question is, the deadline for the case resolve date is Dec 23. Should I suggest to the buyer to wait till Dec 23 and if it doesn't arrive I'll refund? Normally I ask buyers to wait the full month (ie Dec 30) but if the buyer escalates the case on the 23 would it be more problematic for me in future? Would it be better for me to just refund it if the book still hasn't arrived by the 23?

I'll post a screen cap later tonight at home. I'm at work and eBay forum doesn't accept screen caps from my phone.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Let the buyer know that  it's only been 13 days (9 business days) and know where near enough time for it to arrive. Ask the buyer to wait until Dec.23/16 because the item still might still be tied up in customs processing.... 

Also delivery times may be delayed because of the Christmas rush and that customs and the postal system are dealing with an overwhelming amount of packages. 

Reassure the buyer that you are not going anywhere and will promptly refund the purchase at that time (Dec.23/16).

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

So I had a relatively new German buyer open an INR on me on a book that was shipped Nov 30th... now the problem is, when I clicked respond to case, everything is on German. How am I gonna respond?

How are you going to respond?  The same as if the person was in the US, Canada, or anywhere else.  To navigate the German phrases use either  

https://www.bing.com/translator

https://translate.google.ca/

or any other you might like better.  If you need to talk to the person you can reply in English and include the translator link.  Most Europeans speak and read really good English.  You are in Canada and there is no reason your buyer should expect German.  But the buyer opens the claim on the same site they bought, so that means Germany.  

@zee-chan wrote:

My next question is, the deadline for the case resolve date is Dec 23. Should I suggest to the buyer to wait till Dec 23 and if it doesn't arrive I'll refund? Normally I ask buyers to wait the full month (ie Dec 30) but if the buyer escalates the case on the 23 would it be more problematic for me in future? Would it be better for me to just refund it if the book still hasn't arrived by the 23?

What would you do if the buyer was in England?  Or Japan?  My first inclination is to always ask the buyer to wait, then give them a firm date if they haven't received it by then I will refund.  On the night before that date I will ask if they have received it yet.  Most say yes and that they forgot.  If they say no, whether it is true or not, you have to refund.  Promptly.  

If you have until the 23rd then I would ask the buyer to give it more time if it was me.  It is the busiest mail time of the year and there are long delays all over.  But you DO want it resolved before the buyer escalates.  That  means you might have to refund by the 23rd.  I take it there was no tracking.  ?

What you do not want is an unresolved case because that means a defect.  If the buyer escalates that could mean eBay getting involved and if they (or the bots) automatically refund the buyer it will be recorded as unresolved.  

My opinion is to reassure your buyer in very nice terms that the item is on its way, ask them to wait, give them a firm "or else" date, and if you have not heard by then, refund before the buyer CAN escalate.  Then ask them if to repay you when it arrives (only don't hold your breath about that)

Others will have different opinons.  

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

You've already gotten good advice from others, if it helps you've probably seen this thread before but you can use any wordings you like....

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-INR-where-is-my-package-updated-2016-form-lette...

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

The buyer messaged me "he is not here yet" since I couldn't respond to the case yet (I just got home after working 16 hours). Since it's a book not a "he" I'm assuming he didn't understood my original "your book is shipped message" which already suggested 2-4 weeks delivery and the potential holiday delay. It's a bit frustrating feeling like I'll end up spending part of my hard earned money today paying this guy a free book (with originally an revenue of only 50 cents because of dropping CAD). I have had 4 INRs opened against me last winter. Nobody paid back after i refunded. I didn't really believe so many books were lost in shipment. It's frustrating and I'm too tired to deal with it now.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Argh this is not helpful. Google translate tells me I need to resolve the case by Dec 22, while in the email I received from eBay about the case, it says I need to resolve case by Dec 23... I don't really want to block Germany because of this one new buyer being a jerk, because it's one of my top 3 European countries I sell to. 

This is the first INR I have had since January and I'm very annoyed. Almost want to rage quit eBay now lol. Maybe I should stop selling these books, especially during holiday season. All 4 of my INRs last Winter are from these books. Anyhow if I do end up refunding this buyer, he'll definitely go on my BBL and he'll definitely get a follow-up feedback from me saying he filed INR in only 10 days,, and I'm gonna end all related listings and won't relist until February. Not gonna block Germany because I have lot of sales there.

Thanks ricamic, I rephrase something from your post and used that instead. My head simply hurts like hell after working 7am-11pm and the fact that this buyer opened the case AND then messaged me to rush me in the duration was just irritating. It's not like I didn't want to respond right away, it's in friggin German I can't even understand it to respond via phone! And I can only use my phone during meal breaks, not during work. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

When you respond, what I do is use google translate to translate the text into German and then after that include the english original. (so your message has both german and english versions, assuming you have room for both)

It is always best to use google translate to translate from german back to english to make sure it translated things the way you wanted.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:
The buyer messaged me "he is not here yet" since I couldn't respond to the case yet (I just got home after working 16 hours). Since it's a book not a "he" I'm assuming he didn't understood my original "your book is shipped message" which already suggested 2-4 weeks delivery and the potential holiday delay. 

In German every noun, even for an inanimate object (such as a book), must have one of 3 grammatical genders (male/female/neuter), so your buyer is simply trying to use German grammar to express an English idea.  What they mean in saying "he is not here yet" is "it is not here yet", i.e. the book.  

My original background was as a linguist and professional translator/interpreter, and I'm fluent in German and French.  If you want to post the buyer's message(s) here (or send me a PM so the mods don't delete the text for being an exact quote), I'll be happy to translate it for you.  

By the way, I know Google Translate and other such programmes are enticing to use, but they can cause more problems than they solve.  The best you can usually hope from such programmes is that your recipient might be able to make out the gist of the message from the jumble.  More often than not your message will turn into marginally intelligible gobbledygook in the other language, or worse -- end up sounding rude or insulting.  

If you have no choice but to use a computer translator, the advice 'ricarmic' gives about translating back into English can help to spot problems.  My best advice in such cases is to use English that is as simple and clear as possible, with simple verbs and nouns, and no compound sentences, as if you were speaking to a 3 year old.  And be sure to add "please" and "thank you" here and there.  The computer will usually translate those appropriately into most languages, and at least your message will appear to be courteous, even if the meaning is somewhat confusing to the buyer. 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Incidentally, I'm more than happy to help any seller who is in this sort of situation.  It can be very frustrating to be unable to communicate clearly, especially if time is of the essence.  Consider this an open offer, and message me anytime you need some input.  

When I was a translator my expertise was in German and French, but I can also usually help out a bit with Russian, although I'm not very fluent anymore.   Even though I can't actually speak Dutch, I can read it because it's close enough to German.  The same applies to Italian, Spanish and Roumanian (related to French and Latin), and to some extent Portuguese (although it's rather different from the other Romance languages).  

It's good exercise to keep up my skills anyway! 

P.S.  It might actually be a good idea to take a survey of the "regulars" on the boards and see who might be willing to help with which languages -- 'zee-chan', you must be fluent in another language, judging by your items?  

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

The December 22/ December 23 problem may have something to do with time zones. It's 9:42  on December 14 here in Victoria but 6:43 am December 15 in Germany.

Make your last day for action December 21 just to be careful. Or even December 20.

I'm comfortable in English and French. Just the easy ones I'm afraid.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the offer rose, but I'm just gonna leave it for now, message the buyer on the Dec 20 and ask if the book showed up, if not I'll refund on the 21. Doing translation up top is gonna be more time consuming on my end with work being crazy around xmas (I do really appreciate your offer rose) and it's less stressful for me to just refund and be done with it. It's the first time someone opened INR on me at day 9 (my first four INR were like 20+ days so it's not as bad) so it was frustrating. And the fact that ebay left the entire case form in German makes it more difficult to deal with on my phone. Meanwhile hopefully the book arrives soon. I'll be ending listings for those type of books in a couple days when I can sit down by my home computer to deal with it all, and then relist in February. My own Japanese shipments took really long too (6 weeks instead of the usual 2-3 weeks) so there might be some shipment delays in japan's end.

As for translation, I'm a little better at Chinese if anyone needs help. I cannot offer Japanese help because I can read with a dictionary, but not write or speak it fluently. Having a bad translation is gonna be worse than no translation at all.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Femme, that's the funny thing. I know that Germany time zone is ahead of us. But when I translated the case details written in German, eBay tells me to take action by Dec 22, while in the English email from what it says Dec 23. Since Germany is ahead of us, the German one should say Dec 23, while the English one should say Dec 22... that's why it's confusing.

Anyhow I guess the upside is I got another positive feedback from a new US buyer 😃

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

The buyer has messaged me again despite I asked him/her to wait until Dec 23... very impatient buyer indeed. I'm guessing they probably really wanted it by x'mas or something. I'm not gonna block Germany just because of this one buyer cuz I have occasional good smooth sales there but this buyer is kinda getting on my nerve...

And then I googled and found this.

http://www.intlmailserv.com/blog.html

12/15/16 Expect delays in Germany Open or Close

The designated operator of Germany, Deutsche Post, asks us to inform the designated operators of other Union member countries of the following:

Owing to the recent Lufthansa pilots' strike and service limitations imposed by that airline, coupled with extremely heavy peak volumes, there is presently heavy congestion for airmail at Frankfurt Airport. Deutsche Post's office of exchange in Frankfurt is running smoothly, and there are no major delays for mail arriving or leaving by road. However, all the airport logistics and the Frankfurt airmail centre are severely impacted.

Deutsche Post is attempting to bypass the affected areas wherever possible, but heavy delays in the processing of inbound, outbound and transit airmail are inevitable. The situation is likely to remain critical for several days at least. Between now and 23 December, it is therefore advisable for designated operators to dispatch mail to Frankfurt by surface routes wherever possible, in order to ensure smooth processing.

Deutsche Post thanks all member countries for their understanding and cooperation.

I wish I could show my German buyer the exact post / content from DHL website in German but I couldn't even find it in English. rose-dee, if you are familiar with German, can you please see if DHL's German website has any post that mentioned something similar, so that I could send it to my buyer?

Much appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

So I just got this in my email.

Hi zee-chan,

Thanks for working to resolve this issue. The buyer has closed this request. You don't need to do anything else. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.

You can view the details of this request in the Resolution Centre.

--

this is after the buyer messaged me again on Monday saying it hasn't arrived, I messaged back asking the buyer if he didn't read my previous message that asked him to wait till the 23rd, and also messaged him the shipping address to double check it. 

Never heard anything back from him then I got the case closed message today, no feedback left whatsoever. Should I bother messaging thebuyer and ask if the book actually arrived or just leave it alone? 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I wouldn't contact him.  The case is closed so he likely has the item so I would just move on.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

So I just got this in my email.

Hi zee-chan,

Thanks for working to resolve this issue. The buyer has closed this request. You don't need to do anything else. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.

You can view the details of this request in the Resolution Centre.

--

this is after the buyer messaged me again on Monday saying it hasn't arrived, I messaged back asking the buyer if he didn't read my previous message that asked him to wait till the 23rd, and also messaged him the shipping address to double check it. 

Never heard anything back from him then I got the case closed message today, no feedback left whatsoever. Should I bother messaging thebuyer and ask if the book actually arrived or just leave it alone? 

The buyer closed the case, that means they are "happy".

Contacting them can only in the very very best of situations leave things as they are. Otherwise it opens a whole new can of worms......and could generate an annoyance non-positive feedback, some other complaint etc. 

So I strongly suggest following Pjc's advice.... assume all is well!

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I agree.  "Case closed" means your buyer most likely received his item -- and apparently in good time.  All's well that ends well, I wouldn't stir the pot by contacting the buyer again.  

Just breathe a deep sigh of relief and thank Deutsche Post for getting him his parcel in time.  

Incidentally, I hesitate to say this, but having lived in Germany and had many years of contact with Germans, being sticklers for punctuality and timeliness is part of the national consciousness or character, something like the way "niceness" is seen as part of the Canadian national character.  

I know this could be considered a gross generalization, but there is some truth in it.  I remember once standing in a German station, waiting for my train to arrive, when it was announced that the train would be 3 minutes late.  The lady next to me freaked out, shouting "Was!!" (What!!?) and stomped up and down the platform complaining loudly to anybody who would listen.  Several other people grumbled and shuffled around, shaking their heads in disbelief.  The train arrived, as indicated, about 3 minutes later.  I'm sure the conductor got a piece of many minds.

By contrast, I once took a train from Saskatoon to Toronto.  It was announced while I waited in the station that the train was going to be 22 hours late (due to weather delays in the Rockies).  Everybody just quietly left, no freak-outs, no scenes, doubtless heading (like me) to a hotel for the night.  Are we too nice?  Woman Very Happy

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

When I was a translator my expertise was in German and French, but I can also usually help out a bit with Russian, although I'm not very fluent anymore.   Even though I can't actually speak Dutch, I can read it because it's close enough to German.  The same applies to Italian, Spanish and Roumanian (related to French and Latin), and to some extent Portuguese (although it's rather different from the other Romance languages).  

There is no end to your talents, rose Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Ok I'm gonna leave the lion alone. But putting him on my BBL is gonna make me happier from all the stress he caused me so I'm gonna do that when I get home from work... 😛

I don't know about Canadians being too nice. I definitely think everybody needs to chill out whenever I'm driving in Vancouver... went to the hospital for my appointment yesterday and there was this dude honking at a guy who stopped for an oncoming ambulance (like everybody should). And then when I'm driving even at 70km/hr in a city, people still cut left and right and cut in front of me...
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Off topic, but I just checked my seller dashboard after updating my BBL, and my final late-shipment defect has dropped off the radar. Yay Smiley Very Happy

20161222-0002.jpg

Message 20 of 23
latest reply