Is ebay really any good for Canadian buyers? Throughout my time with ebay I've never seen a good buy

Throughout my time with ebay I haven't seen a good buy yet. When there is a good price the shipping and customs is an  exuberent amount because all the sellers (I bet it's 90%) are in the US. For instance I'm looking for Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0...the price is ridiculously high even for used. I can buy a brand new set from lego canada for 450.00 cad and that's inc. tax with free shipping. Plus that's the most up to date model EV3. ON ebay there asking prices like (which I can't believe) $799.00 up to $1400. What the hell is that all about? Do people actually buy those items that are priced so extreme? Please give me some unbiased answers.

Thanks in advance from a completely peeved ebay bidder/browser

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Is ebay really any good for Canadian buyers? Throughout my time with ebay I've never seen a good

from the other side of the coin, a lot of buyers think Ebay is a place to get great deals and everything for 10¢ on the dollar or less and many sellers are using higher prices to remove that mind set from buyers. Obviously if things are priced too high, they will never sell. Or they are looking for that 1 buyer who will not care. They will just tell the buyers to go elsewhere or find another seller.

Not picking on you, but Ebay is not what it used to be and will never be again.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: Is ebay really any good for Canadian buyers? Throughout my time with ebay I've never seen a good

Thanks for your reply. BTW when was ebay better and in what way. Just interested.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Prior to 2008, it had a whole lot more sellers that were not Chinese or big box retailers. Auctions were popular and you could start stuff cheap and get lots of bids and bidders. Prices would achieve the level they should. Now if you start something cheap, be prepared to sell it at that price as there are very few buyers that buy at auction.

In general terms, the majority of the buyers want instant gratification and use buy it now, hence more and more sellers list at buy it now.

Ebay has also made it harder and harder on sellers due to policy changes and many more scammers than ever before are on the site.

It is a whole different environment and a lot of both buyers and sellers are not happy any more.,

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Is ebay really any good for Canadian buyers?
No,Amazon is.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Are there any other auction sites that are good to use for a variety of items 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

"Is ebay really any good for Canadian buyers?"

Depends on what you are trying to buy.

Depends on where item is being shipped from (shipping cost can be the make-or-break factor).

Depends on how many other people want the item.

There are good deals - but the buyer needs to be patient, search thoroughly, and be timely.

I missed out on a couple great deals lately because I wasn't paying close enough attention to my watch list. I was distracted and just missed out. I was disappointed, but life goes on.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Around 2000 I was taking in up to $10,000 per week.

I'd not use it now.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

"Around 2000 I was taking in up to $10,000 per week."

Is that you selling? Or buying?

As I said, it all depends... there are some good deals out there. But you do have to search a lot and be patient.

I also don't spend as much. Shipping prices are a huge reason.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Sorry to be unclear, that was seliing antiques, usually at a much higher profit margin that I'd get locally and often several times what I expected. I'd not do it now.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I've gotten a couple very nice reasonably priced items, a shirt I was looking for ended up around $20 total after S&H, couldn't find many places as it is out of print , and I bought a nice handknit hat for also around $20 after S&H, another item I was having trouble finding in that style as my head is larger than average so have to buy knit ones usually for fit.

Have bought some jewelry, first piece arrived with issue, will see how the rest turn up.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Some of Amazon.ca prices are terrible.  Like How to Train Your Dragon figurines - some were double and tripple the amount compared to Amazon.com.  I was searching for a particular porcelain basket - Amazon.ca had it for $200.  Amazon.com had it for $90.  Like they said on the news the other night, Canadians suffer from price gouging and that is why a lot of Canadians go across the boarder to the States.  Don't get me started on Canadian craft sellers (lots at Christmas time).  They make an item that is worth $20.  May have taken them 2 hours to make it, and they charge you $120.  They think their time is worth $50/hour.  I don't and I am not the  only one.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@sergus0 wrote:

Some of Amazon.ca prices are terrible.  Like How to Train Your Dragon figurines - some were double and tripple the amount compared to Amazon.com.  I was searching for a particular porcelain basket - Amazon.ca had it for $200.  Amazon.com had it for $90.  Like they said on the news the other night, Canadians suffer from price gouging and that is why a lot of Canadians go across the boarder to the States.  Don't get me started on Canadian craft sellers (lots at Christmas time).  They make an item that is worth $20.  May have taken them 2 hours to make it, and they charge you $120.  They think their time is worth $50/hour.  I don't and I am not the  only one.  

I agree ,some of their prices are too high,I'm not surprised though,Amazon dot com sometimes uses UPS ,not USPS,considering you  are paying in US dollars,you may end up paying more for the same item had you bought from AM.dot .CA

As for the Kraft sellers,some are just dreamers,just like some of  Kijiji sellers who think they can buy an item,use it ,take a couple of dollars off and resell it on kijiji,you can't avoid them but I have managed to ignore them so far.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Fortunately I live in a border town and go to the USA on a fairly regular basis. What I have at my disposal is a USA depot where I have many of my Ebay / Amazon purchases sent to. My costs are $1.00 for an envelope size package to $5.00 for larger. I try to get "free shipping" as there is still a cost to me. My other cost is $6.50  toll, crossing both ways. So my "free shipping" is still another $7.50 - $12.00 on top of my purchase price. I have yet to pay any duty fees. Still cheaper then the alternative.

I will not purchase any item where there are exorbitant postage fees added.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply