Item from USA to CAN. Excessive brokerage fees and GST added. Item listed as new but looked used. Can I return COD to seller for refund?

lwoyt66
Community Member

Can I return an item,  not as described and has excessive brokerage fees and GST added at door ; back to seller COD for a full refund ?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Item from USA to CAN. Excessive brokerage fees and GST added. Item listed as new but looked used. Can I return COD to seller for refund?

No you cannot. If you did that to me , i would refuse the package and then where are you.

Lets separate issues.. Items over $20. CAD are subject to import charges duty/taxes and an $8.50 Canada Post fee. These are entirely the buyer's responsibility as importer. I see 3  purchases in July that qualify. Some slip through without assessment but no guarantees that will happen.

If you feel you have an item that is not as listed , contact the seller and state your concerns. Sellers are not obligated to pay return shipping although some will if it is their error.

You have the option of opening an item not as described dispute in the resolution center of your PayPal account and escalating to a claim. PP will instruct you to return ,at your expense, with delivery confirmation, for a full refund.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Item from USA to CAN. Excessive brokerage fees and GST added. Item listed as new but looked used. Can I return COD to seller for refund?

Hello 'macb',

What is it that's actually troubling you, - that the item appears used, or that you had to pay charges on it?  All items over $20 in value are subject to duties and taxes.  It is a mistake to expect that buying outside the country may avoid taxes you'd pay locally.  Instead, it is good practice to always factor in the possible charges when purchasing.  All importers must pay these charges, and when you buy from outside Canada, you are the importer.  Have a look at the following link about importing by the post:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Couriers, especially UPS, charge big brokerage fees.  Most people will avoid sellers who insist on using couriers.  But Canada Post only charges $8.50, when and if they assess the item.  So barring your item being shipped UPS, I can't imagine the brokerage was "excessive" unless the seller overstated the value.  Should that happen, just peel off the 'sticky' Customs form, and on the back it tells you how to apply for restitution.

If you are seriously unhappy with an item listed as 'new' which arrives in used condition, you can file an Item Not as Described dispute.  The following link tells you how, see Section 4:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

As always, whenever there is a problem, politely and pleasantly contact the seller first.  If you wish to discuss the condition of the item, do so, - but the Customs charges of your country are not the seller's fault and ought to be left out of the conversation entirely.

Best wishes. 🙂

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Of course,before you can open the item not as described dispute you have to have the item in your possession,which means that you have to pay the taxes and brokerage fees on the item,which you are responsible for paying in any case.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The seller has nothing to do with excessive brokerage fees.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply