Light packet rates

Are the rates on the CP site actually correct:

USA  up to 150 - $3.79., up to 250 - $6.37, up to 500 - $10.66

International  up to 150 - $6.51, up to 250 - $10.46, up to 500 - $19.12

So for a 200 gram package to the US rate goes from $5.00 to $6.37 and International goes from $7.50 to $10.46

That is absolutely ridiculous and legal theft to keep jacking those rates up every year by such a huge amount. Almost 30% this year again!

How to kill small business.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Light packet rates

Triber,

That's right but a mail piece weighing between 200 and 300 g is considerably cheaper to send as a Light Packet than Letter-post, as the following comparison of 2016 rates for Other (Non-standard and Oversize) Letter-post (OLP) and Light Packet shows:

USA               Other Intntl

OLP    Lt Pkt       OLP        Lt Pkt

0 - 100 g            2.95       5.70         5.90        8.78

101-200 g         5.15       5.70        10.30       8.78

201-300 g        10.30     8.23         20.60      13.46

301-500 g        10.30    11.75        20.60      24.57

Light Packet is nothing more than an invention of Canada Post's to try and squeeze extra bucks out of their unfortunate customers (I'm not even sure it's that much of a success in that regard). Other Letter-post and Light Packet have identical maximum dimensions and weight and are transmitted by the same means, air without tracking. AFAIK no other postal administration in the world makes a distinction based on content of a mail piece (paper vs. goods).  The Universal Postal Union defines letters and cards, Other Letter-post, Light Packets, and Small Packets up to 2 kg as lettermail but CP simply thumbs its nose at the UPU. According to the home-grown Canada Post Corporation Act, CP limits lettermail to 500 g and considers everything else as Parcels.

Only a government monopoly can get away with such a farce. A private enterprise trying this on the general public would be run out of town within 24 hours. That's just one reason why Canada Post has to be privatized.

Tom

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

Yes, that's true, mainly because the lettermail rate jumps from 200g to 500g, I wish they had a 300g and 400g in there. I use the light packet rate up to 200g a lot,and for  lighter things that don't qualify to send as lettermail I find the light packet rate works very well.

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

Has it been confirmed then that U.S. and international letter rates will not be going up? The $5.15 rate is also the current 2015 rate.

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Has it been confirmed then that U.S. and international letter rates will not be going up? The $5.15 rate is also the current 2015 rate.

The current rate for US Light packet is 5.00 (till 200g) and 7.50 for international (till 200g).

I print the labels every day.

I think it will change in 2 days ... Smiley Sad

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

I am referring to letter post rates, not light packet.

The gov't apparently vetoed the proposed domestic letter rate increase but there has been no mention of whether or not the announced increases for the U.S and letterpost rates would stand. Those new rates were on the website in December but have since disappeared so perhaps they are not going up.

Message 45 of 60
latest reply

PJ,

According to the January 2016 fanfold I received from Canada Post, the letterpost rates for USA and Rest of the World indeed remain unchanged from 2015.

The USA fanfold is attached. I can't figure out how to attach the RoW fanfold at the same time so will attach it to another post.

Tom

Message 46 of 60
latest reply

Sorry, PJ - neither of the attachments worked. Anyway, the fanfolds indicate that 2016 letter-post rates are unchanged.

Tom

Message 47 of 60
latest reply

Zee-chan, will you be giving us that wonderful list of postal rates for 2016 again this year? So very helpful and easy to read! And much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Zee-chan, will you be giving us that wonderful list of postal rates for 2016 again this year? So very helpful and easy to read! And much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

When CP has the official rates out I will make a new table for 2016 Smiley Happy

i went to a postal outlet at the mall today but they said they don't have the fan folds yet Smiley Sad

Message 49 of 60
latest reply

Thanks Tom. Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

Here it is! Attached is an image file of the 2016 rate document which I hope are all correct... if anything is wrong on there, then CP's find a rate tool gave me the wrong rates. I tried, lol. Smiley LOL

No change to all lettermail / letter-post rates as per CP website. Parcel rates went up a lot. 

I included Tracked Packet rates to this chart for the heck of it, but for anyone using Tracked Packet for eBay sales, you should ALL use Paypal shipping labels for a discounted rate. What I have in the chart is COUNTER RATE not Paypal rate. I rarely use Tracked Packet myself so I only look it up with Paypal when I actually get a sale that needs it. 

The image file is 300dpi so it should be perfect for printing on a letter-sized paper Smiley Wink

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

Interestingly when I printed off all my rate pages today I noticed that the expedited rates went up about 5% for the smaller weights, but only a bit more than 1% for something almost 30 kg. Looks like they're putting the burden on the smaller packages... 😞
Message 52 of 60
latest reply

Good news. Thank you for the work.

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

Hello everyone: I don't know if this will help, but for me it is exactly what I was looing for. Found it by accident while looking for something else.

This page has links for the 2016 fanfolds for Letter Mail and Light packet, Canada, USA, and International.

Hope the link works and hope it helps.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

Great chart zee. Best printed in landscape 130% (using win 7 firefox 43.0.4 here). Printed a few so they last until next price change.

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

Hello everyone: I don't know if this will help, but for me it is exactly what I was looing for. Found it by accident while looking for something else.

This page has links for the 2016 fanfolds for Letter Mail and Light packet, Canada, USA, and International.

Hope the link works and hope it helps.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp

Thanks ..... very handy!

Message 56 of 60
latest reply

Thank you Zee - easy to read at a glance.Smiley Happy

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

WOW!!! 

LP USA (to 200g) from 5.00 to 5.70.

LP INTL (to 200g) from 7.50 to 8.78.

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

The typical CP gouge. Maybe Trudeau should stick his nose in this to help small businesses stay afloat

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

Thank you very much for compiling all of the information and posting this!
Message 60 of 60
latest reply