May 7th, 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers!

Looking forward to chat with you starting at 1 PM Eastern. Please go ahead and start posting, we will see you then.

On a side note, the eBay Canada team would like to say thanks to the Season of Spring, for finally showing up.

See you at 1!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Problems ---- There have been several discussions about the new defect rules… more on eBay.com than eBay.ca

(1) Ship a parcel with tracking….Parcel is lost in the mail system…  Parcel is damaged.

This is an insurance claim…. Seller makes a refund and is this a defect…. Postal System  pays insurance claim

And if this is a defect… What did the seller do wrong?

(2) Parcel is delivered late….Tracking says so…Is this a defect?  

I live in Winnipeg….  And… I tracked a parcel from Winnipeg through Toronto,  south to Chicago, and then to Washington State on the west coast of the US.

Usually the parcel would have gone to Vancouver on the west coast of Canada  and then south directly to its destination….

How is the seller protected against parcels that that take that extra long journey.

(3) Parcel gets lost in the system.

I had a parcel go from Winnipeg to New York City… buyer did not pick it up and the parcel  started its trip back to me…Got to Toronto….  Then to Montreal and then back to New York City… different zip code…. Buyer was refunded….  Insurance claim paid by Canada Post

Is this a defect?

(4) The relationship between ask a question, and open a case  creates a problem.

If buyer wants to ask a question… that should be very clear…..  Buyer-seller communications should be allowed for three days.

If buyer is happy nothing else happens

Only after three days of buyer-seller communications should there be an option to open a case…..  All communication between the buyer and seller in the three days previous become a part of the opened case.

Asking a question is not a defect.

Opening a case is a defect.

A Buyer should never be allowed to open a case before asking a question…..A three day period of communication  should be an absolute, not a maybe,  before a case is opened….

(5) Seller makes a full refund.  Is the fact that a full refund has been made become a defect…. Or is it the cancellation of the transaction in relation to the refund and for what reason. 

There are many considerations….. Everything with respect to the initiation of a defect should be 100 % clear….  There should be no grey areas….

(6)   Seller mails a parcel without tracking… Buyer  files  … Item not received…….. and seller refunds.

Sellers need some way…  a code… something to show that the parcel was mailed…  and to where….  An eBay record that the buyer does not have to see.

(7) Canadian sellers need tracking…that is not expensive….. Tracking shows delivery to the post office  and then to the buyer…..  Should reduce claims of Item Not received…..

Maybe all that is needed is tracking to show that the parcel was delivered to the post office, and to where the parcel was going..........  Seller mailed the parcel... the rest was up to the postal system, and the integrity of the buyer....

One claim by a buyer is acceptable,  two also,  but consistent calims of Item Not Received should be "flagged"

Tracking appears very important….. yet Canadian sellers must always face the possibility of a buyer filing an Item not Received dispute…. Based on the low cost shipping options used, that do not have tracking….

(8)  Seller will have a defect record.  Should  buyers also have a defect record….

One seller on eBay.com did note that he knows someone who bought 10 items on eBay  and got Item Not Received  refunds for nine of the purchases….

Is it the buyer that created the problem… the defect……

Buyers such as this should be tracked... flagged....  by eBay without a seller’s report…

Should buyers such as these be allowed to continue to buy on eBay…..

One gets the impression that there are many grey area... many questions ... When it comes to defect.s...  everything must be absolutely clear  ... no maybes....  or perhaps... or questionable applications of rules...

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hi Raphael, when I use PayPal to print Light Packet labels to ship items weighing under 150gms outside of Canada, each label is charged to me separately and this causes me to have to pay an extra 13% HST for each label purchased. However, if I drive to the post office and purchase labels for Light Packets and the total is over $5.00 Cdn then no HST is charged (as per Gov’t regulations). Printing via PayPal is causing me to pay an extra 13% in HST which is not required. I understand that when printing labels on .com you are billed for a total cost not each individual label as we are on .ca.

Since most of my items fall into the under 150 gms. light pkt. rate this problem occurs nearly every day. And not just for me, also for other sellers in my category. Can you look into this for us Canadians please? I am tired of having to pay extra monies that are not required and I am sure that buyers don’t want to have to pay it either. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

My list is based on what I am seeing discussed.... about defects.... eBay.com for the most part.

Coming up with a quick answer...  and a clear response may take more than an hour.... 

There is going to be  a ... Sort it out time.... and clarification over time.

and perhaps some adjustment on the part of eBay.

I have made many adjustments over the years.....  those adjustments have helped in minimizing the occurrence of defect..

However, and that is an important .....However ...   other sellers are counting the defects.... real and possible....and there are concerns....

Are Canadian sellers  finding it difficult... more difficult than US sellers on eBay.com.... Perhaps.

and it is this perhaps that will also have to be examined......

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Hi cumos55,

@cumos55 wrote:

Problems ---- There have been several discussions about the new defect rules… more on eBay.com than eBay.ca

(1) Ship a parcel with tracking….Parcel is lost in the mail system…  Parcel is damaged.

This is an insurance claim…. Seller makes a refund and is this a defect…. Postal System  pays insurance claim

And if this is a defect… What did the seller do wrong?

Issuing a refund due to such problems is not a defect. Just make sure you conduct any and all communication with the buyer via the Resolution Centre and/or eBay Messages for proper documenting, you should be fine.

@cumos55 wrote:
(2) Parcel is delivered late….Tracking says so…Is this a defect?  

I live in Winnipeg….  And… I tracked a parcel from Winnipeg through Toronto,  south to Chicago, and then to Washington State on the west coast of the US.

Usually the parcel would have gone to Vancouver on the west coast of Canada  and then south directly to its destination….

How is the seller protected against parcels that that take that extra long journey.

What you describe is part of the challenges that all Canadian sellers face. Thankfully, this doesn't happen in the majority of cases.

A parcel reaching the buyer later than expected will not, in itself, put a defect on the transaction. Only way this happens is if the buyer gives a rating of 1 for Shipping Time. To go back to the example you provided, my best advice would be to stay in constant communication with the buyer from the time you notice that the parcel is going via an unexpected route, to ensure they are aware this is unusual and out of your control.

@cumos55 wrote:
(3) Parcel gets lost in the system.

I had a parcel go from Winnipeg to New York City… buyer did not pick it up and the parcel  started its trip back to me…Got to Toronto….  Then to Montreal and then back to New York City… different zip code…. Buyer was refunded….  Insurance claim paid by Canada Post

Is this a defect?

Not in itself. Once again please make sure you document everything properly, in places where eBay can see it (Resolution Centre, eBay Messages, etc.) so that anyone reviewing the case can come to the right conclusion.

@cumos55 wrote:
(4) The relationship between ask a question, and open a case  creates a problem.

If buyer wants to ask a question… that should be very clear…..  Buyer-seller communications should be allowed for three days.

If buyer is happy nothing else happens

Only after three days of buyer-seller communications should there be an option to open a case…..  All communication between the buyer and seller in the three days previous become a part of the opened case.

Asking a question is not a defect.

Opening a case is a defect.

A Buyer should never be allowed to open a case before asking a question…..A three day period of communication  should be an absolute, not a maybe,  before a case is opened….

Thanks for your feedback on the relationship between opening cases and asking questions.

On this topic I should point out that yes, open cases do put a defect on the transaction but that if the case is escalated and eBay decides in your favour, the defect goes away.

@cumos55 wrote:
(5) Seller makes a full refund.  Is the fact that a full refund has been made become a defect…. Or is it the cancellation of the transaction in relation to the refund and for what reason. 

There are many considerations….. Everything with respect to the initiation of a defect should be 100 % clear….  There should be no grey areas….

Issuing a refund, in itself, does not mean defect. If the refund is issued for a legitimate reason, there will be trace of that conversation with the buyer somewhere, in the Resolution Centre, in eBay Messages, or in the cancellation reason. If whoever reviews the case can tell that the refund was not due to you being out of stock or just deciding not to sell after the transaction was concluded, no defect.

@cumos55 wrote:
(6)   Seller mails a parcel without tracking… Buyer  files  … Item not received…….. and seller refunds.

Sellers need some way…  a code… something to show that the parcel was mailed…  and to where….  An eBay record that the buyer does not have to see.

Unfortunately if a seller ships without tracking, there is little that eBay can do to protect them against eventual mishaps. Tracking is the only way we can tell for sure that an item has truly been shipped, any other indicator really boils down to the seller's word. Thankfully, buyers abusing the system this way are far from being the majority.

@cumos55 wrote:
(7) Canadian sellers need tracking…that is not expensive….. Tracking shows delivery to the post office  and then to the buyer…..  Should reduce claims of Item Not received…..

Maybe all that is needed is tracking to show that the parcel was delivered to the post office, and to where the parcel was going..........  Seller mailed the parcel... the rest was up to the postal system, and the integrity of the buyer....

One claim by a buyer is acceptable,  two also,  but consistent calims of Item Not Received should be "flagged"

Tracking appears very important….. yet Canadian sellers must always face the possibility of a buyer filing an Item not Received dispute…. Based on the low cost shipping options used, that do not have tracking….

!00% agree that Canadian sellers need more affordable shipping options with tracking.

@cumos55 wrote:
(8)  Seller will have a defect record.  Should  buyers also have a defect record….

One seller on eBay.com did note that he knows someone who bought 10 items on eBay  and got Item Not Received  refunds for nine of the purchases….

Is it the buyer that created the problem… the defect……

Buyers such as this should be tracked... flagged....  by eBay without a seller’s report…

Should buyers such as these be allowed to continue to buy on eBay…..

One gets the impression that there are many grey area... many questions ... When it comes to defect.s...  everything must be absolutely clear  ... no maybes....  or perhaps... or questionable applications of rules...

eBay does keep tabs on buyer activity, just like we do for sellers. Not everything comes from seller reports, either. What we do about this is just less visible because we don't engage with buyers the same way we do with sellers. I don't have any numbers to share on this but I assure you that we take action against bad buyers at least as much as we do against bad sellers.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

This just started recently....When printing labels which have tracking numbers through Paypal both the buyer and I receive at least two emails from Canada Post. One email states that a label has been created and the other email is sent when the item is delivered to the buyer. In some cases an email stating that the package has been accepted by the post office is also sent out.

I've always received an email from paypal stating that a label was printed I believe that the buyer receives a similar one but now I am receiving one from Canada Post and from Paypal for the same thing and I am guessing that the buyer is as well. 

This means that when a buyer purchases an item from me and I print the label through paypal, both of us may receive two emails stating that a label has been printed, one email that the item has been taken to the post office and one email that the item has been delivered.

Personally, the only email that I want is the original paypal email showing that I created a label and I doubt that the customer wants 4 emails from Canada Post and/or Paypal just regarding the shipping portion of the transaction.  I really doubt that they need to know when the item was delivered since they already have it or when the item was taken to the post office since they can easily check the tracking number to find that out.

Is it possible to have Paypal shipping set up so that we can turn the notifications from Canada Post on or off for both ourselves and our buyer ? I think that receiving extra unwanted and unasked for emails is irritating for many people.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

This just started recently....When printing labels which have tracking numbers through Paypal both the buyer and I receive at least two emails from Canada Post. One email states that a label has been created and the other email is sent when the item is delivered to the buyer. In some cases an email stating that the package has been accepted by the post office is also sent out.

I've always received an email from paypal stating that a label was printed I believe that the buyer receives a similar one but now I am receiving one from Canada Post and from Paypal for the same thing and I am guessing that the buyer is as well. 

This means that when a buyer purchases an item from me and I print the label through paypal, both of us may receive two emails stating that a label has been printed, one email that the item has been taken to the post office and one email that the item has been delivered.

Personally, the only email that I want is the original paypal email showing that I created a label and I doubt that the customer wants 4 emails from Canada Post and/or Paypal just regarding the shipping portion of the transaction.  I really doubt that they need to know when the item was delivered since they already have it or when the item was taken to the post office since they can easily check the tracking number to find that out.

Is it possible to have Paypal shipping set up so that we can turn the notifications from Canada Post on or off for both ourselves and our buyer ? I think that receiving extra unwanted and unasked for emails is irritating for many people.

Hi pjcdn2005,

I have seen the same thing happen when I bought something from a Canadian seller using PayPal labels. The extra email that came from Canada Post is not something we control unfortunately.

For the PayPal notifications part, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take that to the PayPal team.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi pjcdn2005,

I have seen the same thing happen when I bought something from a Canadian seller using PayPal labels. The extra email that came from Canada Post is not something we control unfortunately.

For the PayPal notifications part, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take that to the PayPal team.

There is only one email from Paypal and I do want that email to continue. But why did this change just come about with Canada Post emails? It just started happening when Paypal changed the labels so that we had to had an HS code.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

There must be a clear separation from asking a question as opposed to opening a claim.

Buyers have questions...  and this is no defect.

The creation of a defect  just because a buyers is going to ask a question   is a concern that has been addressed more specifically on eBay.com than on eBay.ca

I had thought that a buyer ... must..... communicate with a seller before a case is opened....

If there still is a possibility that a case can be opened with the asking of a question...without communication with the seller...  then that door must be closed.....

There should also be a concern if a buyer comments....  and then says nothing else before a case is opened

Neither buyers nor seller should be allowed to hide behind the rules  that are appropriate to each group

and I repeat...

When it comes to defects...  everything must be absolutely clear

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Raphael, when I use PayPal to print Light Packet labels to ship items weighing under 150gms outside of Canada, each label is charged to me separately and this causes me to have to pay an extra 13% HST for each label purchased. However, if I drive to the post office and purchase labels for Light Packets and the total is over $5.00 Cdn then no HST is charged (as per Gov’t regulations). Printing via PayPal is causing me to pay an extra 13% in HST which is not required. I understand that when printing labels on .com you are billed for a total cost not each individual label as we are on .ca.

Since most of my items fall into the under 150 gms. light pkt. rate this problem occurs nearly every day. And not just for me, also for other sellers in my category. Can you look into this for us Canadians please? I am tired of having to pay extra monies that are not required and I am sure that buyers don’t want to have to pay it either. 

Hi msmaggie060,

Thanks for bringing this up. We'll have to take that to the PayPal Labels team and to Canada Post.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Regarding msmaggie's comment...

Apparently, on ebay.com they can use multi shipping to print and be charged for more than one USPS label at a time. If we had that option, that might solve the problem of being charged tax for individual items under $5.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

2noggins
Community Member

Any updates to the "adjustment" text appearing under refunded purchases that I emailed you about raphael?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Regarding msmaggie's comment...

Apparently, on ebay.com they can use multi shipping to print and be charged for more than one USPS label at a time. If we had that option, that might solve the problem of being charged tax for individual items under $5.

That's something we've been wanting PayPal to bring over for a long time, and are working with them to that effect. No ETA yet but it is being worked on.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

This concludes this week's Board Hour. See you next week!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply