Ooh that Canada Post!

We all know how long the negotiations with CP have been going on - month and months.  But I really got ticked off the other day.  I had ordered something from the U.K. before all this broohaa, or, as I always keep my eyes on the news, thought everything would be o.k.

The last day for delivery was shown as Sept. 2 and I sent a very polite note to the seller saying that the tracking order had been stuck on nearly delivered for ages.  I also let them know, if they didn't already, about CP here if they had other Cdn. Sellers,

In this apartment, a long time ago they put a CP box in the lobby which is great - in that if there's a parcel delivered, they leave a key in your mail box showing which of the boxes it's in, complete with a key to open it,  Much better than the old way of leaving a note telling you which P.O. to pick it up,  It even has a box you can deposit mail to be picked up without going out to mail

The other day I was in all day and the phone rang twice (it's set for four rings before answering machine picks up),  When it rang, knowing I was waiting for this shipment, I literally dashed to the phone and picked up on the 2nd ring.  Nothing,  I could tell the call came from the front door,  Sure enough received a note to pick it up at a P.O. yesterday and am going today,  To me the P.O. carrier was just too LAZY to wait for another ring or leave a key in my box.  End of rant,

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Ooh that Canada Post!

When this type of thing happens, you have to call the Canada Post Corporation toll-free number and lodge a complaint.

A few years ago when I lived in a heritage condo complex in the gentrified part of my city, I had chronic problems with Canada Post deliveries. I watched tracking like a hawk and was literally home all day waiting for parcels to arrive when they were scheduled for delivery.

Here was the problem: one of the CPC letter carriers who would get assigned to my route hated her job. I lived in a place where most people worked all day and it was hard for her to find parking for the truck. If she had, and carried those boxes all the way to the door, chances are no one would be home to take them anyway. If she was lucky enough to find someone home to take their package, she might have had to climb three flights of stairs to give it to them. 

But I always home, and I was always waiting. And I had a window view of the front door.

The carrier in question (who was about 90 lbs overweight) would come up the six-step stars to the front door, already sweating, with no boxes but a handful of pre-filled 'sorry we missed you' slips. She was not doing her job. She didn't want to be doing her job.

I called to complain each time I KNEW they had not attempted delivery until they saw a pattern.

She was assigned to another route, I guess. Or different job. Or different workplace.

It's a tough job but someone has got to do it if they want to collect their paycheques.

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

Oh so very true.

Give them what they want but get the job done .

LOl

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

@mjwl2006 wrote:

She was assigned to another route, I guess. Or different job. Or different workplace.

Letter carriers carry letters and small packets.  Parcels are not delivered by letter carriers.

Where I live, at least, parcels are delivered by contracted workers.  They don't wear Canada Post uniforms and they drive their own vehicles, not a Canada Post fleet vehicle.

I'm thinking that your parcel delivery person may have been a contract worker, not a Canada Post employee, and her contract wasn't renewed.  Limey may also be dealing with contracted parcel delivery workers.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

While I cannot speak to the state of her employment contract, she was wearing clothing that identified her as representing Canada Post Corporation.
Message 5 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

I don't know the circumstances that warrant non-Canada Post employees to wear uniforms, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Canada Post uniforms being worn by some contracted postal outlet employees.  (They may be different than the ones Canada Post employees wear, though.)

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

Like I said, I don't know what the terms of her employment were only that she was supposed to deliver parcels for Canada Post and did not. If I ever run into her again, I'll be certain to put the question to her. "Were you fired, or simply relocated? Employee or contact worker? Did you really hate your job or did it just appear that way?"
Message 7 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

Or I could ask the letter carrier who now comes to my door each day. Maybe the other is an urban legend today and he'll tell me so. Like a scary ghost story that postal workers tell each other on the late shift. My current letter carrier is great, I love him. He comes always at the same time so I know to expect him, he's friendly and fast. I think he's about the greatest letter carrier yet. I've met many, he's probably my favourite.
Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

"Parcels are not delivered by letter carriers"

Yes they do.... I receive parcels all the time by Canada Post letter carriers. They also collect Customs fees and carry a mobile payment devices. 

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

@silverpinups wrote:

Yes they do.... I receive parcels all the time by Canada Post letter carriers. They also collect Customs fees and carry a mobile payment devices. 

What's the largest "parcel" you've received from a mailbag-carrying letter carrier who walks from door to door on your street?  I suspect what you're calling a "parcel" is, in fact, an oversized letter (Small Packet / USPS First Class International) item.

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

Boxes, Large Poster Tubes, Over-Sized 13 x 18 inch Flat Packages to new a few.....

The residential Postman or woman are making 25.00-30.00 an hour to do what? ... carry lettermail?  

They use small cargo vans to do their routes.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

He regularly brings me boxes up to 4 ft X 3 ft X 2 ft. Weekly. He only walks a few houses between thestops he makes in his truck, like all mail carriers that I see since they began the new, much-heralded American-style system of mail delivery. Where do you live that they don't do this yet?

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

Since I send outgoing items all the time through Canada Post, I think I know the difference between lettermail and parcel mail. These are big boxes that I'm taking about. Large and heavy enough that he lifts them into my house for me because if he left them on the steps, I wouldn't be able to do it myself. No other CPC person brings them to my door, it's my regular guy until the corporation starts filling other shifts during peak overtime periods like Christmas.
Message 13 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

@mjwl2006 wrote:

He regularly brings me boxes up to 4 ft X 3 ft X 2 ft. Weekly. He only walks a few houses between thestops he makes in his truck, like all mail carriers that I see since they began the new, much-heralded American-style system of mail delivery. Where do you live that they don't do this yet?

My letter carriers don't travel by truck.  They walk.  Not sure how they get from the post office to their route, though.  I know that in other cities I've lived in (such as Victoria) they've done this by public transit, but I don't know about the town I live in now as I drive or walk pretty much everywhere now.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

We do things differently in Winnioeg.

The carriers drive cargo vans on their route, stopping every few houses to deliver parcels. They walk between those parcel stops with the lettermail but my guy always parks someplace on my street and walks a few houses at a time. Like I said, between parcel deliveries. He has a system, obviously, because he moves fast and is always at my home at the same time, rain or snow.
Message 15 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

@silverpinups wrote:

Boxes, Large Poster Tubes, Over-Sized 13 x 18 inch Flat Packages to new a few.....

A poster tube or flat 13 by 18 inch package would fit the Universal Postal Union's definition of an oversized letter.

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

@mjwl2006 wrote:

We do things differently in Winnioeg.

The carriers drive cargo vans on their route, stopping every few houses to deliver parcels. They walk between those parcel stops with the lettermail but my guy always parks someplace on my street and walks a few houses at a time. Like I said, between parcel deliveries. He has a system, obviously, because he moves fast and is always at my home at the same time, rain or snow.

You've also got the newest mail sorting plant in Canada.  I have a vague recollection reading around the time it opened that the nature of this plant led to a special deal being made with Winnipeg carriers that enabled them to carry both parcels and letters.

I don't think it's standard practice nationwide yet.

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

Yes, but not boxes of various sizes.....

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

@silverpinups wrote:

Yes, but not boxes of various sizes.....

You don't give any indication of the size of these boxes, though.

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

Ooh that Canada Post!

The system of mail and parcel delivery changed Between seven and five years ago. Here, at least. I would not expect Winnipeg to be at the forefront of the postal delivery revolution but it's possible you just have not noticed they do things differently now. It was a big deal, this change, at the time.
Message 20 of 57
latest reply