Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Rodney I presently list on Ebay.com (u.s dollar) and Ebay.ca ( u.s dollar). I prefer to and want to continue to list in U.S. dollar as it works better for me. My question is once this change happens can I continue to list on both. Meaning can I list on Ebay.com in U.S. dollar and for my items which I need a shipping calculator (maybe 5%-10% of my items) list them on ebay.ca in Canadain dollar. If so I would like to know how this will affect my selling reports? Does it mean that I will now have 2 sets of selling reports, one is u.s dollar and another in Canadian dollar? Also for my selling fees invoice does that mean I will have two invoices instead of one?

I realize that when a customer buys an item from ebay.ca and ebay.com I am unable to combine the items in one invoice but I have managed to work around that and my customers do not seem to mind receiving two invoices as long as I adjusted the shipping. So basically I want to know how that would affect the selling reports and the billing invoices if I chose to list on .com in u.s dollars and on .ca in Canadian dollars. Thank you.

If anyone else knows the answer to this I would appreciate the info : )

Message 261 of 1,448
latest reply

To all the Canadian sellers who are upset about this upcoming change, please read the following:

The announcement itself is here: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/ eBay.ca sellers: Now’s the time to list in Canadian dollars - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/#sthash.HkyJ6EzN.dpuf Since launch, eBay.ca has allowed sellers to select their listing currency – US dollars (USD) or Canadian dollars (CAD) – but starting this spring, (CAD) will become the sole listing currency on eBay.ca. Starting June 1st, sellers will need to use CAD when listing or relisting on eBay.ca. All remaining USD listings on eBay.ca (including Good ‘Til Cancelled) will need to be converted to CAD by August. Sellers who wish to continue to list in USD will need to move their listings to eBay.com. We’re making this change in order to simplify the eBay.ca platform and selling experience, make it easier to bring new features to eBay.ca, and help Canadian sellers to be more successful overall. We recognize that this change may be difficult for some sellers to manage, so we’re building a tool to help you to identify your affected listings and convert them to CAD, or move them to eBay.com, in bulk. Affected sellers can expect an email with more information. - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/#sthash.HkyJ6EzN.dpuf

Additional background on the decision can be learned here: 

Background on the USD Listing Change on eBay.ca

Hello, Canadian eBay seller community. My name is Andrea Stairs, and I’m the Managing Director of eBay Canada. Today, we announced our plan to end US dollar (USD) listing currency support on eBay.ca, and I wanted to take this opportunity give you some context on what went into making this decision.

- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7752/#sthash.v02mgVQb.dpuf

Links to more information (links to more information including this discussion thread) can be found here: 

Here’s where you can learn more about the upcoming change:

We’re here to help make this transition as smooth as possible for you. As always, thank you for selling, and for being a part of the eBay community

- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/#sthash.HkyJ6EzN.dpuf

It seems to me that some of the furor about this stems from confusion about questions that can be easily answered by taking the time to read a few things about the decision itself. This is not a bad-news announcement. I have been selling in CAD exclusively for a few years and it helped my business grow. I achieved greater success in CAD on ebay.ca. If, however, after careful analysis of your business, you discover that all your buyers are in the USA then USD on ebay.com is for you. ebay Canada staff have not left those sellers in the lurch. They have created a tool to help with that. This thread that you are reding right now is not the announcement. It is reaction to the announcement. 

Message 262 of 1,448
latest reply

vhicke1
Community Member
One more reason for me not to sell on eBay any more. Great job. Enjoy making less money from Canadian sellers.
Message 263 of 1,448
latest reply

Why change something that works well. We should have the choice to list in USD or CANADIAN $$. I do not agree with this decision that will add a load of work for me. Is there any mods available for the turbo lister if I decide to list is USD? Will I have the option to upload on ebay.com?

Message 264 of 1,448
latest reply

ecgt
Community Member

Everyone should contact CBC's Go Public about this to try to get the media involved. Think the Loblaw's French's ketchup fiasco. Let's try to get the media on board.

gopublic@cbc.ca

Message 265 of 1,448
latest reply

ecgt
Community Member

Will eBay be refunding my annual store fees for changing the rules of the game mid-contract?

Message 266 of 1,448
latest reply

That's exactly what I'm wondering. If we are only allowed to sell in Canadian, they should bill us in Canadian.

Message 267 of 1,448
latest reply

No Comment from Ebay?
Message 268 of 1,448
latest reply

Please have the courtesy to give eBay Canada staff some time to review the hundred comments that came in overnight. If you woke to 123 new messages from buyers in your inbox, wound you have a thoughtful answer to each one in 20 minutes?
Message 269 of 1,448
latest reply

Being able to sell in USD is a tool.

Being able to use the Canadpost shipping options is a tool.

We require both these tools in order to operate our business

We have these tools now, so do not remove them.   Your new proposal does not address these issues.

Message 270 of 1,448
latest reply

the big problem here when we move to eBay.com is that we cannot set shipping for canadian sellers because canada post is not support on eBay.com. also setting up a price in canadian will affect the competivity on the us market, i currnetly sell a item for $79.95us, so i'm the lowest at that price, $79,95 means $100 canadian, if i list at $100 canadian then my $79,95 will vary depending of the currency of the us/canadian dollar, that means one day i will be competitive and the other not, if the canadian money decreased it will be good for us buyer but not for me , i will lose money , on the other side if the canadian dollar increased then i will sell less because my us selling price will be more then $79,95, also the shipping cost will also vary, if i set a shipping price , depending of the exchange currency some day it will cost me more that what the seller pay, for me that Retirement of USD from eBay.ca is very not a good thing, i think is better to leave the option like it is now, the seller can choose their currency in witch they want to list.

Message 271 of 1,448
latest reply

After reading soooo many of these response I respectfully ask "who the hell did they survey?".  'cause clearly the mass DOES NOT like this idea.

So many people indicated that they see an increase in sales when listing in USD, and that includes me, I got almost no sales when I listed in Canadian $ - so why change this - why?

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 272 of 1,448
latest reply

I buy and sell a fair bit on Ebay.ca and on Ebay.com. I have noticed that sales are down on both sites. My items that are located in Switzerland and listed on Ebay.com seem to sell better, but I have not listed many on Ebay.ca due to the shipping calculator. Also because of the exchange rate, which was the best part. Making an extra 20-30% made our items more attractive to buyers in the US. I I have also noticed that when searching for item on Ebay.ca, a lot of items do not show up in the search, and vice versa. No that is not because the buyer has specified no shipping to Canada. When I am buying, I buy very little from the US since they brought in the Global Shipping Program. The costs are more expensive, items take longer to arrive, and they don't combine shipping. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that. I have also noticed that a lot of Ebay.com US sellers have put extremely high, overpriced shipping charges to prevent buyers from Canada or other international buyers from buying form them. Way too many to report.

Overall I am annoyed more about the loss in extra money from the exchange rate, but as an ebay seller we are always at the mercy of Ebay and Buyers.

Message 273 of 1,448
latest reply

There are many sellers like myself who BUY a lot of supplies on Ebay, which is in USD, and we make Items to SELL on Ebay and now we should sell that in CAD?  So I should just close my store and move 100% into Etsy. Thats it..after all the rip offs and screw overs Ebay has done to Canadian sellers, Ive stuck it out..but this would be the last straw.  I am NOT going to sell IN CAD.  

There is only One reason Ebay is pushing this and its because they are going to make money somehow at some end with exchange rates who knows.  This is NOT going to make Ebay More Money as far as making Canadians More sales...nope...So what is the point? is Ebay just looking to destroy Ebay.ca?  

Whoever in Ebay came up with this Bright Idea..is not a Canadian selling on Ebay.

Message 275 of 1,448
latest reply

Going to .com, we lose out on Calculated Shipping. Canadians have to pick Flat Rate Shipping which means we have to eat up higher postage costs. UPS and FedEx are much more expensive than Canada Post and they charge hidden fees to the customer so I won't consider those as options for calculated. It's impossible to flat rate International Air Mail. It can be anything from 8$-18$ for the same weight. That's the reason why I don't list on .com. If .com was advantageous to me in anyway, I'd already been selling there.

Many categories such as magazines and cds are caped at rates that make it impossible to ship an item entirely from Canada.

The only advantage they are promoting is that we will increase sales by selling cheaper because our dollar's value keeps going down. But I can already and do lower my prices when I want to sell cheaper. Why would I want to leave this at the randomness of the foreign exchange rate?

What advantage is there at losing control over a currency?  I am also confused why sellers are "jazzed up" at the new rule that will prevent them and others from selling in USD? How does someone else selling in USD or CAD affects another's business?

Message 274 of 1,448
latest reply

thats how I feel too

Message 276 of 1,448
latest reply

HELLO EBAY! Great job! Thanks for making me loose thousands of dollars by switching to Canadian dollars, and for the great headache this has caused this morning when I read this message. I was about to list items into my store but instead I am trying to figure out how I am going to deal with this and trying to make updates with the turbo lister. Hope it will not screw up like it did in the past.. Great news for all Canadian sellers business! We made choices in the past to sell in USD. 335 million people in the STATES and Only 35 million in Canada. 90% of my sales are in the United States alone. The other part around the world. You must cancel this stupid decision now!

Message 277 of 1,448
latest reply

This is just like that annoying global shipping program which by the way, still needs to be removed entirely from eBay for Canadian Buyers. It is a total scam and rip off. Now that this removal of USD currency is taking place. It means that If a Canadian wants to sell an item at fair market cost there is more work involved in the process. For example Canadian has a rare spoon that sells for 100USD on ebay.com this Canadian is going to have to read the exchange rate before listing at $130CAD. This is extra work for us Canadians and it really is an extra headache. I`ve signed the petition to stop this currency removal change and encourage others to sign as well. We should be able to list in all currencies possible to attract the attention from whichever country we wish to serve and we all know USA has the biggest market!

Message 278 of 1,448
latest reply

Everything you are saying here is a joke, we are your sellers and buyers,  you are wrong..and what is this "MARKET PLACE DATA" are they selling on Ebay.ca??? Because they are WRONG! there is only one reason Ebay is doing this..To make money on Exchange rates ....however...Ebay.ca will die over this.

This  is only to benefit Ebay ..not the people who sell here...

Message 279 of 1,448
latest reply

Just so I'm clear... my account is on ebay.ca   will I be able to convert all my USD listings to ebay.com and continue to list in .com ?   I though that .ca users couldn't list in .com

Can you please clarify?

Message 280 of 1,448
latest reply