Shipping address was incorrect on Ebay invoice...

Just wondering the proper way to manage this issue for now and in the future, so I'd appreciate input from some veteran sellers here. 🙂

I had a buyer open a case because the item ordered wasn't received.  Upon digging around, I found out that the shipping address provided on the Ebay invoice was incorrect.  Thankfully, the package was refused at the wrong address and now the item is being returned to my shipper as undeliverable. 

So - who is responsible for paying the repeat shipping fees again, should the buyer still want the item?  And for interest's sake, who is at fault here?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

"the shipping address provided on the Ebay invoice was incorrect. "

This would indicate the buyer has not changed his/her mailing address on eBay.

The more important question is:  What mailing address was shown on the PayPal payment?

Unfortunately, sellers are always responsible for re-posting unless the buyer voluntarily offer to pay the postage twice.  I have never seen it. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

If the mailing address was incorrect on Paypal as well, I don't agree that the seller is responsible for the postage to reship since it wasn't their mistake. However, just for goodwill and depending on the amount,I might offer to pay for all or a portion of the cost to reship. I've had a buyer offer to pay the extra postage in that situation but the item was sent via lettermail and was inexpensive so I covered the cost myself.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply!  It's much appreciated.Cat Happy

The Paypal address was correct. Unfortunately, I went by the Ebay address and shipped to that one.

The customer always has a chance to change the shipping address in Paypal during the checkout process.  The "buyer's shipping address" really shouldn't come up on the invoice if it's not the one we are to ship to.  (Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but it doesn't seem right to me.)

It sounds like I'm going to be paying for the shipping the second time.  So - I guess my next question is - is the Paypal shipping address always the right shipping address?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Sometimes I have caught the fact that the paypal and ebay address are different before I ship - when that happens I clarify which is right before I ship. I've had this problem a few times, sometimes the packages come back and I reship (I've always just paid, not worth a neg) sometimes they have not come back and in those cases most of the buyers were quite good - ie they didn't want their money back. As I recall they all knew their PAYPAL address was the "old" one that kept coming up and they were mad at PAYPAL rather than me....
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

ALWAYS ship to the PayPal address. Don't know where I read that but I did. Having said that, I also check the address on the USPS site before shipping. Just last week I found a numerical error on a zip code provided by PayPal.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

In my experience the address that was wrong was the PAYPAL address so I send to the corrected address the buyer advises. Of course this nullifies the "coverage" I get, but over 90% of my stuff is not covered via PAYPAL anyway.....
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

"provided by Paypal" but the error was the buyer's when she set up her Paypal account.

GIGO

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thanks y'all for your input! 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Today...

eBay is set up for a buyer to identify the Primary Mailing Address.... It is this address that shows on the order details page

Once this address is identified,  the Paypal address is linked to this address.

The address on Paypal cannot be changed.

This means that the Paypal and eBay address should be the same.

It should be impossible to have different address on Paypal than eBay.

It is buyer's responsibility to identify the correct mailing address... and it is eBay's... Paypal's responsibility to have the same address on Paypal as on eBay's order details page

Yet for me... I am always looking to see if the address on the order details is the same as that on the email from Paypal.

and... sometimes the address on the email received from eBay  indicating that an item has been purchased  is different..

Therefore it is necessary to confirm that the Paypal address and the address on the eBay order details page are always the same.....

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Are you saying that you are the buyer and the seller shipped to the wrong address even though the correct address appeared in your eBay and Paypal accounts?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I have no idea where I came up with the question I had in my post above.

Must have been half asleep when I posted that.  Smiley Embarassed

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Today...

eBay is set up for a buyer to identify the Primary Mailing Address.... It is this address that shows on the order details page

Once this address is identified,  the Paypal address is linked to this address.

The address on Paypal cannot be changed.

This means that the Paypal and eBay address should be the same.

It should be impossible to have different address on Paypal than eBay.

Not sure where you are coming up with this! Your "primary shipping address" in  your eBay profile will transfer to PayPal but many users have multiple shipping addresses (I have 4 or 5) and pick the one they want to use when they make their payment.

The only use for the eBay "primary shipping address" is for use by the shipping calculator, beyond that it's meaningless. The PayPal shipping address is the only one that matters.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

many users have multiple shipping addresses (I have 4 or 5) and pick the one they want to use when they make their payment.

At one time those additional addresses were called 'gift addresses' because they allow(ed) the buyer to ship presents directly to the recipient.

I suspect that is still the main use for them, plus snowbirds of course.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

A Buyer can have many addresses on file on eBay.

Before they buy they select the Shipping address for that transaction.

Once the Primary Shipping address is chosen... the Paypal payment is linked to this address.

The address on Paypal cannot be changed once the Primary Shipping address is identified on eBay.

This is a relatively new process....  With this set up a buyer cannot change the address on Paypal  to any address.

I have had buyers in countries other that those I ship to ... buy an item and have it shipped to an address in Canada or the US.  I only sell to people with a US or Canadian address....

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

The Primary shipping address is identified on eBay.

This automatically becomes the shipping address on Paypal...

I ship to the Paypal address....

If... and an important IF

The buyer wants me to ship to an address different from that indicated with a Paypal payment.... 

the payment is refunded and an invoice is forwarded through Paypal.

The buyer must identify the proper address when the payment is made... in response to the Paypal invoice....

The linkage between eBay and Paypal with respect to the mailing address is something new....  It took me a while to find  the appropriate reference on eBay/Paypal.

but cannot find the appropriate link to explain this on eBay/Paypal  right now...

Message 16 of 16
latest reply