There is one in every crowd I guess... I am staying open.

Even before I got "the email" today, I had made up my mind to stay open.

I had only planned to close my eBay store because of the possible repurcussions with late deliveries. I had planned to manage through the situation via communication for my non-eBay online sites and my "snail mail" customer base.

I thought Raphael's comments were supportive, as has been the official word from eBay.

I think my customers (remember I sell to stamp collectors who are already used to mail order shopping long before there was an internet) will be more accommodating than perhaps some other customer bases, and I think proper communication will generally be effective.

I bought my "free" supplies stuff yesterday, knowing that the delivery can be impacted by whatever does happen at the post office. I know more patience will be required than usual. 

I will add my experiences to this thread as things move along, as much to communicate to others as to have it on file for myself when the next strike comes, because we all know someday it will happen again!

Of course anyone else who wants to add any good/bad things that happen to them for reference are welcome to do so too!

Stay tuned!!

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

I am closing on Monday. For me it is prudent. 94% of my sales are to the US: "Where's my order and tracking number" and I really don't need to say mail work stoppage. Consider it is a short work weed with July 1 Friday and the US July 4 on Monday.

I thought Raphael's comments were supportive, as has been the official word from eBay. I agree, they are out front on this. Not much they can do.

Doug, the counter guy at the PO in town was a deer in the headlights today. Even Michelle, the liquor store manager said "He gets abuse way worse than we do" and liquor stores can be very bad.

Every day next week every customer is going to be asking questions, every fifth one cursing and threatening.

I will take Doug out for beer because he is my friend.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

With the last postal strike...  I almost waited too long to put the store on vacation.

Then came the rotating walkouts....  My store was on vacation.....

and once enough time passed for all of my parcels to be delivered  or have left Canada  I was relieved.

This time around... My store was put on vacation on June 19.

Last parcels were mailed June 20.

Tracking shows they have been delivered or have left Canada.. going to the US..

Now....  Here I sit waiting for the next thing to happen..... and reading  all of the discussion  that has occurred.

And now eBay "recommends " to stay open.  My question is "Why".... Your guess is as good as mine.

If and when the strike starts.....  Happiness is not having to deal with the reality of  parcels hung up in the postal system.

Am I happy?.... Maybe... Because I had already had the store on vacation for 30 days..... doing my conversion from US dollars to Canadian dollars... no Migration Tool.. Thank goodness.

But it was 125 listings a days... one minute per listing  for 30 days = 60 hours in total ...

So what is another .....on vacation?   I suffered through that earlier 30 days with a messy mucous  heavy cold/flu bug.....  still not perfect... not totally recovered

This is like watching a big fight in the Roman Coliseum......  wondering ... "What next?"    and "Whose blood will I see?'

......  Not Mine!.....

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

My sales have been so slow these past few weeks that I almost wish I had something to worry about.  It's never occurred to me to close the store.

Yesterday an Etsy seller told me that she had received an email advising her about the Canadian P.O. strike.  I don't know if they sent the same message out to shoppers as well.

It would really help if eBay were to send out a similar message to buyers who purchased from Canada.

That would be polite and easy for eBay to execute.  eBay could take the pressure off of Canadian sellers with that one small easy gesture at no or very little cost to themselves.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I too am staying open, and trust that Ebay will do the right things when the time comes..........

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

I always send somewhat personalized communication to all buyers when the item has been shipped.

I have been trying to decide when to add extra comments around possible CP strike/lockout impacts to delivery.

My normal ship days are Mon/Wed/Friday (next week it will have to be M/W/Thurs as Friday is a stat.) Am pondering whether I'll ship on Tuesday as well, (may depend on if I can find a day to go fishing next week!)

I think I will add a note regarding possible CP delays for the Wednesday onward notes. I think the Monday ones should primarily be ok (I'm mostly worried about the US folks, the US stuff tends to hit Mississaugua within a day).

I have an expresspost box to go out on Monday to the US now, so I'll be able to watch it's progress as well.

Further updates/thoughts as I have them......

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I have ended all of my listings that originates from Canada but keeping my Japan shipments open (ie. books shipped from Japan to rest of the world). I didn't bother removing Canada from my ship-to locations because I don't get much Canadian sales anyway, and if I do get one at least as fellow Canadians they should know about the lockout/strike and so far all Canadian buyers I have had are wonderful to communicate with so I don't anticipate problems except cancelling / refunding these orders.

I decided I don't want to spend time figuring out how CCE works because 90% of my mail is letter-post / Light Packet to USA / Europe anyway, so CCE saving is very limited... the saving probably can't pay for the gas + time (even at minimum wage) it takes me to get there. 

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

I sent out 3 boxes today, 2 expedited and tracked all to the USA and all to repeat customers. I'll watch and see how they do in terms of getting out of the country.

As femme mentioned earlier, things are booming in the stamp world it seems, I've had over 30 items sell in the last 3 days!

This is a "good news/bad news" situation, it will be good news if everything gets through successfully, bad news as in larger headache/cost if it was a bad idea to stay open.

Instead of shipping only M/W/Thurs this week, I'm shipping every day to ensure stuff gets best chance to vacate the country before anything happens, if it does.

I'm going to start including my added comments that delivery time may be impacted with tomorrow's shipments.

I'll post more updates as I have them....

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

I JUST PUT MY STORE ON VACATION,  I DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO MAINTAIN A 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK, AND A 100% POSITIVE EXPERIENCE FOR MY CUSTOMERS. I CAN DEAL WITH A DEFECT FOR LATE DELIVERY THAT I CAN SUPPOSEDLY GET REMOVED, EVEN THOUGH IT WILL MOST LIKELY REQUIRE ME TO CALL EBAY AND HAVE IT MANUALLY REMOVED. BUT WHAT I WILL NOT ALLOW IS EBAY GIVING PEOPLE A FREE SHOT AT MY FEEDBACK, WITH NO HOPE OF ANY FOLLOW UP.. END OF RANT..

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

I also do everything I can to maintain 100% positive feedback.

I am of the belief in my field (stamp collectors) that communication around the situation will help mitigate feedback problems. That's why I am sending my own communication regarding it. (This is also why I always send my own personalized communication when the item is shipped, it has helped a lot to avoid problems before they reach a neutral/negative situation).

If I am wrong and in the worst case, if I do get neutrals or negatives, I will provide the usual non-confrontational response to the feedback that the delivery was delayed by the strike...

Time will tell.....

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I'm staying open as well.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

3 Items out today.

The two US expedited and one US tracked packet mailed yesterday are outta Mississagua and should hit the US tomorrow.

I bolded the addition I made to my custom notices I send customers starting today: 

(new customer)

Thank you for your purchase and quick payment.  Your parcel has been shipped out today, Monday XXXXXXX.  Please note the possibility of a Canada Post strike/lockout on or after July 2. If one does occur, I very much appreciate your patience regarding any delays impacting arrival time. Once the parcel arrives, I hope you will find everything satisfactory.  If you are not completely pleased with this transaction, please contact me via email.  I will do my very best to resolve any problem you may have.  Regards, RICARMIC (Ron)

(repeat customer)

Thank you for your most recent purchase and quick payment. I am pleased you decided to purchase from me again. Your parcel has been shipped out today, Monday XXXXXX. Please note the possibility of a Canada Post strike/lockout on or after July 2. If one does occur, I very much appreciate your patience regarding any delays impacting arrival time. Regards, RICARMIC (Ron)

My current plan in the event of a "lockout":

-I will close the store, hiding items

-I will advise any buyers that have paid and I haven't shipped yet that they can either wait, and I will ship as soon as things reopen, or I will refund and they can buy again when the store reopens.

-I will probably advise people who's stuff I expect is still en-route that the strike has happened and I'll again reiterate that I appreciate their patience during the delay it causes.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

I've been outspoken in my intent to stay open and dispatch by other means. The consolation, with one business day now left for Canada Post to deliver things, is that the last outgoing and incoming packages I sent and received via Canada Post were delivered with lightning speed. 

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Didn't get time to put an update out yesterday, after I got my letters in the mail took my nephew fishing!

Yesterday 5 items out, today 6.

The adjusted wording in my communication messages has had at least some positive effect. So far about 40% of the people have responded (a much higher number than usual) and all have been positive/supportive so far.

All tracked/expedited packages sent out earlier in the week are out of the country now, which is good.

A tracked package to the US out today. Will be interesting to see what happens with it.

My action plan in the event of a lockout remains the same.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

The frustration is waiting for the sky to fall.

The frustration is not knowing.

The frustration is.... just is... when reading what everyone else says.

The frustration is waiting...

The frustration is reading that the Government may not choose to legislate postal workers back to work.

Or  ..... Has the government got something up its sleeve....  ready to unload it.

What next???????

Message 15 of 40
latest reply

"The frustration is waiting..."

Don't

Get the beverage of your choice, a good chair and watch the Blue Jays game!

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Just having some fun.

Got lots to do.....  Busy beyond compare....

Just cleaned out my collection of Lego...  from many years ago.... used to sell a lot of Lego

Lego starts at 20 boxes..... and lots and lots of weight.... plus a few more boxes full...

Got someone interested in taking it all...... they can sell it...

Ready wilh close to 50 more listings...... Finding lots of good inventory.

My biggest frustration was suffering with a messy mucous full  ... flu bug.... Lots, Lots, Lots better today

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

I am allergic to beer...  Have not had any wine for many years now

Football... No

Hockey ... No

Baseball ... No

Soccer, Maybe... but will most likely wait for the European Cup final.

Son is a school teacher....  physical Education....Coached the school's  girl's soccer team  and they won the city championship...

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

Checked my list of watched sellers.....  

All of the Canadian sellers in that list are still selling.... and many are still listing in US dollars on eBay Canada.

Most interesting!

Then .....

How many sellers really know about  the reality of selling in Canadian dollars on eBay Canada

and... How many know there could be a postal strike.starting within a week?

Manly are due for a surprise.....maybe.....

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

Many could be due for a surprise... Maybe.....

Message 20 of 40
latest reply