Unable to claim Canada Post damage claim

og604
Community Member

So I sold an item on ebay and the buyer reported damage to the item 2 months later and I sent a damage claim to Canada Post. They filed an item not as described case with paypal and was given a full refund.

Canada Post had a really long form asking for pictures, proof of value, damage info and some other details. I sent them everything the form asked for and they were awaiting the damage report from the receiver and said if they didn't get it soon I wouldn't be able to get a refund.

They said they said a letter to the receiver a month or 2 ago and the receiver said they didn't get one. I gave Canada Post his email and they sent him the damage report. 5 days later and the receiver is no longer replying to messages and Canada Post says they haven't received anything from him yet.

What can I do now?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Unable to claim Canada Post damage claim

Have you dealt with Canada Post by email or by snail mail or at the PO counter?

If you used any of these, try phoning instead.

The phone workers seem to be interested in their jobs and to have some control over their own decisions. Also they are in New Brunswick, so they actually know something about Canada.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I'd also be appealing the ebay/paypal decision on the basis that the buyer is not co-operating with the insurance claim.  You might get your money back through a courtesy refund.

Definitely report the buyer for this, though.  ebay wants buyers to co-operate with insurance claims.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Canada Post said they were waiting for the damage report from the receiver after I sent them details they asked for.

I emailed them back asking what they meant and they didn't reply after 5 or more days so I called them on the phone but they didn't have any details besides the emails I had.

Is it better to call ebay or paypal to resolve this?
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

You can only file a claim up to 45 days after purchase, not two months. I would have waited if possible for the buyer to respond to the whole insurance claim before I would send a refund. If they do not respond to Canada Post requirements, the dispute should not go on and not be won by the buyer. They have to provide all information required by the shipping company for insurance references. Would not refund the buyer. Would ask for them to send it back to you for further review. Never refund even partial, only if they do not participate in the resolution, unless you are guilty of something. Have the item back in your hands first, then refund full amount. I think it's ridiculous that Canada Post requires buyers to send all this information, it's bad enough they are unhappy with the shipping in the first place, but have to give all this info to them is a hassle to some people, and they simply can't bother..

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I'm not sure what forms you've filled in.  I know from personal experience, Canada Post does not insure for damage, only loss.  It would seem unreasonable, that the buyer should be involved with the claim.  They have their refund, so they have no more reason to care. If you have the item back,(and you should have, if the buyer has a refund) you now have all the information needed.

Normally, claiming for a loss from CP, there is a 30 day waiting period.  Like the previous post suggested, call CP, they are very understanding.  Here's the phone to call 1 866 607 6301 Good luck, cheers

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

I'm not sure what forms you've filled in.  I know from personal experience, Canada Post does not insure for damage, only loss.  It would seem unreasonable, that the buyer should be involved with the claim.  They have their refund, so they have no more reason to care. If you have the item back,(and you should have, if the buyer has a refund) you now have all the information needed.

Canada Post does insure for damage.  For lower priced items the CPO does not contact the buyer, but they might if the item is more expensive.

Returning damaged items voids the shipping insurance.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

"Canada Post does insure for damage."

For full details and exclusions of Canada Post lndemnity coverage for damages, please refer to the offficial "General Terms and Conditions"

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/terms/Terms_without-e.pdf

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Always make sure the item is safe in the box. Take all precautions that it wont get damaged. Assume they will toss your box around.

Dealing with Canada post for (lost  or damage is a pain in the arse. Once they lost a package of mine , took 2 months to get it delt with plus they never refunded my postage back. It was a complete waste of my time.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Xtreme,

That's not been my experience. Canada Post has always dealt with my loss or damage claims (all three of them over the course of 14 years) expeditiously and to my complete satisfaction.

Tom

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Damage is covered for everything except breakables. 

A breakable must be packaged properly in order to survive within the postal system.

Perhaps It would also be  worthwhile to be a Ventureone member.

I have never had problems with an insurance claim with Canada Post.

I had always received full value ... Item insured value plus postage..... So  all of this other information  needed never occurred... Perhaps  because I had always made a claim over the telephone...

My most recent claim was a parcel, with tracking,  that went from Winnipeg to New York City, and was never claimed by the buyer... a notice was left but not used by the buyer.....  Parcel was to be return to me.  However,  tracking showed the parcel returned to Montreal  then Ville Marie... and then back to New York   but to a different postal code....  Canada Post  could not find the parcel... and Full value   for the item and postage was received. 

With my two most recent insurance claims with Canada Post... tracking proved to be most beneficial

I suspect that if you make an insurance claim via telephone....  the claim is processed quickly.

and for me, with an insurance claim  the buyer does not get their money until  I have received the money from Canada Post.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Sorry, this reply is not going to be very helpful.  I have only successfully claimed from Canada Post once for a lost shipment.  On 3 other identical claims they unilaterally deiced not to pay me.  I think a lot depends on how cooperative your end customer is.

>

Other than that I can only say, and always will say, Canada Post sucks.  There are not too many things on this planet that suck more than Canada Post.  They are a bunch of overpaid, whiney sucks that could not run a mail delivery service if their life depended on it.  Thing is, it doesn't.  The government is obliged to keep them alive despite their being the least efficient postal service in the world. One more time, Canada Post sucks.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

for me, with an insurance claim  the buyer does not get their money until  I have received the money from Canada Post

Cumos,

That is not acceptable customer service.  You, as the seller, are responsible for the safe delivery of the goods into your buyer's hands. If that doesn't happen, you must refund the buyer pronto. How you are compensated is up to you, no one else.

Tom

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Correction - Can Post will insure for loss or damage many things that are "breakable", just not glass or ceramics. And, though i have never tried it via any other method, i agree that the phone may be the best way as i have never had any trouble with claims. In fact, i recently received the cost of shipping both ways for a package that was rejected and the cheque was issued and received well before the package even arrived, which i thought odd. In addition, and do take note, i just received a refund for Small Packet not delivered despite it being not insurable; my argument being that i was not after the value of the contents but simply i paid to ship a package and the package was not delivered and therefore had paid for a service that was not rendered. i should add that any claims i have made were also paid in a timely manner. tm.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Anywhere Canada Post is mentioned I am compelled to say Canada Post sucks.
Message 15 of 28
latest reply

i just received a refund for Small Packet not delivered despite it being not insurable

Marek,

That is indeed interesting. I have a couple of questions:

1. When and where to was the Small Packet mailed and when did you apply to Canada Post for a refund?

2. Did you receive a refund of the declared value as well as the postage?

Tom

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I suspect that if you make an insurance claim via telephone.... the claim is processed quickly.

and for me, with an insurance claim the buyer does not get their money until I have received the money from Canada Post.

That makes you a dishonest and unethical seller..

I have placed you on my Blocked Sellers List since your customer service is nonexistant.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@toff3 wrote:

If that doesn't happen, you must refund the buyer pronto. How you are compensated is up to you, no one else.

That is simplified view of the situation. Let's imagine for a moment that Walmart/Target/BestBuy/etc worked like that and they would be required to provide refunds for damaged items without returns. Customer would just call back, say the TV was defective, provide receipt # and store would refund money back to the credit card - instead of spending their time and money to drag the thing back.

Btw. does not PayPal require a return in case of Not As Described ? 

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

PJ,

Yes, it's a simplified view because the situation is simple. Cumos refuses to compensate his customer until he himself receives compensation. That's not how eBay is supposed to work. End of story.

Tom

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Sorry, that last post should have been addressed to Dipmicro.

Tom

Message 20 of 28
latest reply