Updates to the Canadian PowerSeller Program

vaughan@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi everyone!

Let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Vaughan. I work in the Seller Development team at eBay Canada. In my role, I am focused on bringing new sellers to eBay and helping our existing sellers (like yourselves) grow.

One of the areas that I have been working on is to improve the Canadian PowerSeller program. I wanted to share some of the improvements that we've made to date:
1. SquareTrade discount. We have secured the same promotion for Canadian PowerSellers as American PowerSellers. The discount is 30% off SquareTrade subscription services. You can find a link to the promotion through the PowerSeller Portal on the Other Promotions page under Benefits (http://sales-reports.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?PowerSellerPortal&powersellerpageid=9)
2. PowerSeller events. We will start advertising on-line PowerSeller events and any in-person events, including US events that are close to Canadian borders, on the CA PowerSeller portal.
3. On-line eBay shop for PowerSeller merchandise. We are looking into making the on-line shop available to Canadians, but we do not have a definite answer as yet. Once we know if it will be feasible, I will update everyone via the Boards.

I am going to be spending more time on the boards so feel free to send me questions/comments and I will do my best to respond. If you have specific questions about the PowerSeller program, I would love to hear them.

Cheers!
Vaughan
Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

funkywatch_com
Community Member
Seriously, I believe that the Power Seller program in its actual form is not aimed at real businesses selling on eBay.

It is only meant to entice part-time sellers and home-based operations into becoming regular eBay sellers, period.

Newsletters, coffee mugs and "events" do not make a different in a business' bottom-line.

What would make a difference, for my business, would be a discount scale for eBay fees based on the sales i make on eBay. Anything else is irrelevant.

This scenario would be profitable for both sellers AND eBay, since it provides a real incentive for sellers to be more active and help the growth of the eBay marketplace. Besides, eBay authorities have considerably less policing to do with large, established sellers than they have to do for smaller, less experienced sellers. This is reflected in their costs, it should be reflected in our costs in a similar manner.

In general with all suppliers, the higher the volume, the better price you get, right?

Why is it not the same with eBay?
Message 41 of 88
latest reply

iburk
Community Member
In general with all suppliers, the higher the volume, the better price you get, right?

In general, yes. But price is just one component of the cost of dealing with suppliers. For instance, I buy "just-in-time" ... JIT. If one supplier can't supply I move to the other one. I use 2 main suppliers and 2 others. Out of my 2 main suppliers I tend to use the one with the higher prices ... why? ... in the end it's costs me less money and time.

At every step of the way eBay is set up to cost you time (or money) on top of the fees they already charge ... and they increase them for a very stupid reason like vibrancy. Absolutely nothing is set up for ease of doing business with them ... it's a one way street - and sellers are going the wrong way.

I don't think eBay will ever do a tiered rate - and unfortunately, I don't think eBay will ever do anything to help sellers cut the cost of doing business with them.

The main problem is there is no additional value in doing business with eBay ... just increased costs. And your right ... coffee mugs, newsletters, etc does nothing to add to my (or your) bottom line ... if anything, it helps to take the focus off the ball for some.
Message 42 of 88
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member
I don't think I want to see a tiered rate. To keep it revenue neutral they'd have to boost the base rate, then with the discount jayandamrie types would qualify for my small discount from the new higher rate would still cost more then now 😉 In any event I don't find the 10% of gross sales that go to ebay/paypal to be of any particular concern.
Message 43 of 88
latest reply

Although you have an interesting perspective John - it's completely unrealistic.

How so? Vaughn just asked what he could do to help -- I stated what would help. Whether he can or will do it is a separate issue.

If I look at all my suppliers the two worst are eBay and PayPal (if I used CP ... I suppose I would have 3). I do modify my business decisions (practices to some extent) based on my suppliers.

Agreed, except Canada Post rates #1 Worst Supplier for our business.

I don't expect any company to change their business practices because of me ... I will change mine because of theirs.

If you think Vaughn can actually do anything (I mean DO), you are living on something that any business can't afford to do - hope.

I'm not expecting Vaughn to change eBay to suit me. I was simply answering his question. If you read these boards a lot, you'll notice I don't post much -- its not worth my time -- I spend my time attempting to lower my costs and increase business. Period.

I'm not sure if you meant for your post to be insulting, but insinuating that I run my business expecting my suppliers to change for me (I don't) is not what I do. I run a profitable business because I'm always hunting for more efficient, cheaper ways to do things. As soon as PayPal has a decent competitor in the marketplace, I'm sure a lot will jump ship.

In any case, I will end my posting here -- I don't want to waste time 'board slapping' trying to defend any business practices I may have, or slamming PayPal/eBay with no productive results.

John
Message 44 of 88
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Well John I can help you with something here. PayPal does have a toll free number that you can use from Canada: 1-888-221-1161.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction
Message 45 of 88
latest reply

Although I actually couldn't care less, here's another thing Canadian PS's miss out on.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000180733&tstart=0&mod=1136350035930
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 46 of 88
latest reply

I saw that as well : "New Year's greetings from eBay PowerSellers and an enclosed free Skype package, including the Skype software, an earbud and mike headset and some free SkypeOut and Voicemail access." Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance

Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance
View Elaine Serafini's profile on LinkedIn
Message 47 of 88
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member
Please ebay don't start encouraging the nut cases to call their sellers! 🙂
Message 48 of 88
latest reply

Hello Jake.

Well John I can help you with something here. PayPal does have a toll free number that you can use from Canada: 1-888-221-1161

This does work -- but its not supposed to. I was told by a rather rude PayPal SUPERVISOR that there is no toll-free number for Canadian customers. The person that helped me right before she put the supervisor on line, however, did give me this number assuming I was a US Resident.

There is also a separation of user experience between Canadian and USA... they told me multiple times that the phone number was on this 'one page' and finally we realized the reason I couldn't see that phone number was because I was in Canada and 'its not available to Canadians'. I was very upset at that attitude -- it took me 30 minutes on hold and talking -- long distance -- and I had to pay out of my own pocket to get help from PayPal.

In any case -- things are good for now -- but PayPals basic asusmption that Canadians aren't worth the same business as the Americans was apparent to me during that phone call.

John
Message 49 of 88
latest reply

iburk
Community Member
John,

If you think Vaughn can actually do anything (I mean DO), you are living on something that any business can't afford to do - hope.

I'm not expecting Vaughn to change eBay to suit me. I was simply answering his question. If you read these boards a lot, you'll notice I don't post much -- its not worth my time -- I spend my time attempting to lower my costs and increase business. Period.

I'm not sure if you meant for your post to be insulting, but insinuating that I run my business expecting my suppliers to change for me (I don't) is not what I do. I run a profitable business because I'm always hunting for more efficient, cheaper ways to do things. As soon as PayPal has a decent competitor in the marketplace, I'm sure a lot will jump ship.

In any case, I will end my posting here -- I don't want to waste time 'board slapping' trying to defend any business practices I may have, or slamming PayPal/eBay with no productive results.

I'm not trying to be insulting. It was a general comment about hope ... eBay has never done anything to decrease costs or increase profits or business for the sellers ... I doubt they ever will.
Message 50 of 88
latest reply

gloriaguides
Community Member
Hi Hope you all had great holidays. I've been away and not following this thread. Going back to #21 comment from Momosworld, you obviously list on .com in US$, because you have the same few limited choices of shipping options as I use. I want the best of both worlds, and I want my .com buyers to see the listing in US$ and see the Canada Post shipping options. I've added notes to my "about me" page about shipping, but it burns that there are about 15 USPS options and 3 that I can use! And if I list on .ca in US$ I'm afraid that US buyers won't see my items and I will lose bids. I can't afford to lose access to those many millions of people and sell just to the 1 million or so Canadians who use ebay. I'm resigned to the exchange rate and Paypal's greed over fees and exchange rates, and include a small cushion/item in my "postage" that I will lose as soon as the new rates come into effect at Canada Post. The only good thing is that as soon as people realize that they've "accidentally" purchased something from Canada, they assume it will take longer to arrive! They are often pleasantly surprised. Gloria
Message 51 of 88
latest reply

yogagirlvancouver
Community Member
Hi Vaughn,

Thanks for your last post, and I hope you had a good holidays also! 🙂

Can you let me know what progress is being made on the previous issues mentioned:

1.) Upgrade of our Shipping Services: INTEGRATED SHIPPING LABEL PRINTING STRAIGHT FROM OUR PAY PAL ACCOUNTS with Canada Post (ie: so that we don't have to input the Shipping Info. TWICE, as it is ALREADY in our Pay Pal Accounts).

What I'm talking about is what is AVAILABLE on the US site, with Pay Pal and USPS - currently available for our AMERICAN friends.

2.) As per previous posts, there is NO "Power Up" newsletter being sent. Out of the loop on that one. Please advise.

3.) As per MY previous post, I have stopped using CP SMALL PACKET AIR as it became a NIGHTMARE over the Christmas Holidays (untrackable items, slow shipping, customer complaints, not able to track, as DOES NOT HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER).

Consequently, I am using CP EXPRESS POST EXCLUSIVELY now for all of Canada and the US - this is very expensive, and has cost me numerous sales, as customers do NOT want to pay for this service 😞 Also, it has made me loose my international market, at it is just too cost prohibitive, which is SAD, as this WAS a real growing part of my business. Is ebay Canada working on ANY programs to help Canadian Powersellers with Shipping?

I signed up for the Powerseller discount with Canada Post, posted here on my Powerseller site - that was NUMEROUS WEEKS AGO, and have NOT received anything from Canada Post. I went in to speak with my local Postmaster last week, and he looked at me like I was CRAZY. Canada Post has NO IDEA about this program, and it makes us look bad when we are trying to get it. To me, it also looks like a fake offer of service that does NOT exist, as I signed up for it, but CANNOT access any service from it.

This is VERY poor. It is disheartening, as we are working very hard, and making ebay lots of money with all of our fees, but what we are being offered as powersellers is VERY POORLY DONE, and makes me consider moving to another selling channel 😞

4.) Lastly, I called the supposed PHONE SUPPORT for SILVER POWERSELLERS today, for an issue that I really needed a PERSON'S assistance with, and was seriously disheartened to find that I COULD NOT ACCESS A REAL PERSON, and that it was ALL just an automated message.

This is TERRIBLE, and insulting.

DO NOT SAY we have EARNED a REAL PHONE NUMBER by our great powerseller selling, and then only give us an AUTOMATED MESSAGE with NO OPTION of getting a REAL PERSON anywhere in ALL of the options (trust me; I spent an HOUR, and went through EVERY option); there is NO real person on this supposed PHONE NUMBER.

This is very disheartening.

If ebay Canada valued their Powersellers like the Americans appear to do, then maybe we would consider staying. At this point, I will NOT be recommending ebay to my peers as a selling channel, as my experience has been VERY disheartening 😞

Are you working on ANY of this? I would like some REAL PERSON feedback. Thanks.
Message 52 of 88
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Vaughn,

Here is a big one you can work on.....

At launch, eBay Express will be available only for US-based sellers, although we have plans to expand in the future to our international sellers on eBay.com.

Why? I can not for the life of me figure out why they have to include a restriction like this. I understand launching it only on the .com site initially, but why exclude Canadian sellers who sell on .com?

When is Bill Cobb going to live up to his title as President, eBay North America and start recognizing the large Population of ebay user's in the northern part of the continent?

Monique

Monique

Message 53 of 88
latest reply

ridgeesales
Community Member
Hi,
I would like some information.....
As we are a company that sells antiques and collectibles along with a bunch of other items both in are brick and motar store as well as on ebay.
This year (In fact right now) we are looking to expand our business into other cities in Canada. Currently we are looking at Victoria BC. We would like to have our Victoria store run as separate as possible but still have control, therefore the paid staff in Victoria would need to do the listing etc... we would of course hold them to our standards of listings and customer satisfaction. The problem I can see is we will need another account with a Victoria address... Currently I think you can not open a second account on ebay using the same charge card with a different address? Normally if this 2nd account was working out of our current store it wouldn't be a problem as we have a number of customers stop by and pick their items up. Now the problem would be anything sold from the Victoria store we would need to state in the listing that it is currently in our Victoria store for pick up. A new account with a Victoria address would remove this confusing problem for the buyer. Long story short, Victoria store lists, Pick up location is the Victoria store, Item location on the auction shows Victoria....
Is there a way to open a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or more accounts for these expansion issues... We could guarantee all the accounts with one charge card and one main address for billing purposes.
Thanks
Message 54 of 88
latest reply

wsboyd
Community Member
Hello Vaughn,
I am a newly minted Powerseller:-) & have just had a problem with Paypal. Perhaps you can explain somethings to me. ?:|

- Buyer paid for Item on Boxing day (Mon.), I mailed Expedited on New Year's morning (Sat.). - Buyer was sent Tracking # with notation "2 to 8 weeks delivery to your USA address". - Item went out Tuesday due to holiday. - Wednesday, Buyer comlained # was wrong. I explained it was a CANADA POST #, & it correctly showed me mailing it 11:30 am, Dec.31, & explained about slowness of INTERNATIONAL Surface Mail at CHRISTMAS. Then I got cursed at. - Friday he complained to Paypal about non-receipt, falsely stating I had sent wrong # & had claimed to have mailed Item eariler than I did.

- I provided Paypal with my Tracking #, my e-mails to Buyer + his nasty e-mails to me, & all the data from my Canada Post receipt.

- Result: He got 100% refunded as Paypal Ruled I had not 'PROVED' that I had mailed it. 😮

He should be getting the Item delivered soon.

- #1/ WHY DID PAYPAL RULE THIS WAY, BEFORE THE ITEM COULD EVEN HAVE ARRIVED ?

- #2/ WHY ISN'T A CANADA POST TRACKING # ON MY CUSTOMS DECLARATION & MY POST OFFICE RECEIPT CONSIDED 'PROOF'.

- 3#/ WHAT WOULD BE 'PROOF' ?

(Case #PP-132-601-153)
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwsboyd
Message 55 of 88
latest reply

PayPal don't care if you have proof of mailing. they need proof of DELIVERY.

If the delivery happens soon enough you can appeal the chargeback.

PayPal and surface mail just don't mix.

eBay Express, read the many long threads on the US Boards, I'd say we should be happy it doesn't apply to Canada.

- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 56 of 88
latest reply

wsboyd
Community Member
I am only allowed 10 days from their ruling to Appeal.
The Item may not make it there by then (US Post).

Poop
:-(
Message 57 of 88
latest reply

wsboyd
Community Member
Wait a moment !

This is what Paypal sent me, they say they want 'Proof Of Shipment' !
-

"If you have proof of shipment information that shows that this item was delivered, you may appeal this decision."

-
Message 58 of 88
latest reply

wsboyd
Community Member
Oh, never mind, I missed the Delivery bit...
Message 59 of 88
latest reply

wsboyd
Community Member
My #1 Question is still valid, I think.

-

- #1/ WHY DID PAYPAL RULE THIS WAY, BEFORE THE ITEM COULD EVEN HAVE ARRIVED ?

-
Message 60 of 88
latest reply