eBay Bugs & Issues Thread

Hi Everyone,

We are starting a new thread here for you to post your concerns when you encounter an eBay issue or bug and have un-tacked the previous thread that has been around since the beginning of 2008.

Here are some important things to point out:

1. This is not eBay Customer Support. All bugs and site issues should be reported to CS to ensure that they are escalated & tracked. You can report issues to CS using Contact Us. Enter a brief description of the issue you are encountering into the search box and select the most appropriate topic(s).

2. We would like to keep this thread as organized and purpose-driven as possible. If you don't have a bug or site issue to discuss, please consider posting to a different board/thread.

3. Provide as much detail as possible when describing your Issue.

Thanks -

Kalvin

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 198
latest reply
197 REPLIES 197

Re: eBay Bugs & Issues Thread

dnikolic
Community Member

Not sure if this is a bug or intentional programming, but I find searching by size or other specifics - such as clothing, watches, etc. - to be hobbled lately. This is driving me more and more to search only the USA site. Just some examples: searching for jeans. No size search available, yet inseam can be selected. Jackets: no sizes to be selected/searched. Watches: used to be able to narrow down by age, gender and so on - no more. Quite a contrast with the USA site. Criteria that can be searched are nearly infinite. I would prefer to shop from Canadian sellers but the US site is much more buyer-friendly when it comes searching. This, BTW, seems to have changed in the past few months. Maybe I should say browsing, not searching, but either way it's become convoluted. Cheers..

Message 161 of 198
latest reply

I am just feed up with Ebay, Ebay posting we sellers with a store can list auctions for free then I get my bill and they charge me. Just pissed. I think it's time us sellers get together form our own company and put these crooks out of business. After all we are the ones generating all their profits. Ebay just doesn't listen, we complain about the shipping calculator, do they ever do anything. The answer is no, it might cost them a couple thousand in programming costs. I am in Canada and I list in metric, but when I go to ship an item it always in inches. My customers are getting wrong dimensions ,therefore my shipping costs on my listings are incorrect, it has been putting of a lot of buyers off. I am lossing a lot of sales. Ebay why don't you hire a few programmers to fix up your severe problems. Cause if you don't a lot of  us will probably move from your site.

Message 162 of 198
latest reply

I don't know if this will even be read (the boards have really changed since my last visit a few years ago), but here goes anyway.

I have been trying for the past few days to list an item, and the function seems to be "broken". The "sell" page shows a list of catagories that are all greyed-out, making it impossible to select. If you use the catagory search feature, the suggested catagories appear, but if you click on the catagory of your choice and then on "continue", the same screen re-appears with a big red warning (with a big red exclamation point!) stating that a catagory must be chosen before you can proceed. It is impossible to select a catagory, and therefore impossible to complete a listing.

Round and round and round I went for about 10 minutes on one computer, then repeated the whole exercise on two more computers. None of the attempts were successful.

Is there any way to report this, or should I just throw in the towel?

Message 163 of 198
latest reply

articrafter
Community Member

Just got up pass mid night to bid an item which the seller listed to ship to US only but accepting international bidder in the description. I had tried to use the "ask the seller question" link and it only allow preset answers and not connecting to the seller at all!!!!! But I got to the root and found and contact the seller anyway and he said it was an mistake and the sytem didn't allow him to change the listing, but he told me that I can bid on the item....and now, 1am, the system forbidded to bid to the item and it was ended!

I tried to contact ebay and found out again there are only preset questions/answers with "CONTACT EBAY". The largest online market has only ONE way to communication with them......BY PHONE! Who know with I bother to call them, they have only recorded preset questions/answers again!

I really don't know where this post will go to....just wanna rant before I go back to sleep!

It is a lost-lost-lost situation!

Buyer-seller-ebay.

Message 164 of 198
latest reply

tia_bacs
Community Member

Well, I guess that there's no point in posting an issue on here, the last time that someone from ebay posted a reply was Jul 13, 2010 03:46 PM

Message 165 of 198
latest reply

I know of a few issues.

1. I can no longer leave negative feedback for bad buyers

2. payment can take up to 21 days to clear even when I have 10+ years experience over 2000 transactions

3. the fees on ebay are too high

4. the customer service sucks

Message 166 of 198
latest reply

MY CLIENTS WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SEE THAT I MAILED THEIR ITEMS, AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT MY WON ITEMS HAVE BEEN SENT!  STUPID CHANGE!  PUT BACK WON ITEMS SECTION IMMEDIATELY!  MAKES SELLERS LOOK BAD AND E#BAY AS WELL!  WHY MARK ITEMS AS 'SENT", WHEN BUYER CAN'T SEE IT?  I E-MAIL CLIENTS AS SOON AS I MAIL OUT, BUT THEY WOULD BE BETTER SERVED IF THEY COULD SEE IT IN A WON ITEMS SECTION, DON'T YA THINK?  JUST WON AN ITEM, NO MESSAGE FROM SELLER, AND NO WAY TO TELL IF THEY EVEN SENT IT!  THANKS A LOT FOR NOTHING!  AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY KEEP LOSING MEMBERS?

Message 167 of 198
latest reply

crawler,

If you go to purchase history on your my ebay page, it will show items won and if they have been marked as shipped

Message 168 of 198
latest reply

i have already brought this item up on the discussion boards but for the record: i noticed in May that dispite offering free domestic shipping i was still being charged final value fees.

So i began contacting eBay wanting to confirm if i understood the fee policy correctly or overlooked something. After five weeks and literallly five hours of phone conversations with ebay agents (~1hr each: May 24 Carla; Jun 4 Dom; Jun17 Danny; June 27 Clark & Supervisor Brett) - no change/clarification. Though Brett got back to me the next day, two of the agents (Carla & Danny) swore they would contact me by phone with results within 72 hrs but i never heard from either again.

Note: NOT ONE OF THESE AGENTS INCLUDING SUPERVISOR BRETT ACTUALLY KNEW HOW THE F.V.F. w.r.t. FREE SHIPPING WORKED - NOT ONE!! Supervisor Brett explained that all agents received extensive training in the fee changes but because they did not 'use it' everyday they may have forgotten about it (including himself).

When reporting this on the discussion board Pocomocomputing kindly pointed out other references to this on .ca & .com and suggested i bring this directly to Kalvin's attention, which i did on (Jul 4) and to which Kalvin promptly replied (thank-you Kalvin). But to my amazement i learned that this was a known bug and credits are being worked on!!

So how this can be?! i have difficulty understanding how five CS could not be aware of this and especially the fee structure, especially with something that a)raised so much hub-ub as the FVF on shipping change, b) references to the problem were cited on .ca & .com discussion boards, and c) it was "a known bug."

If i were paranoid i might think this was a conspiracy. More importantly though, i'm extremely concerned that my fees were being used to pay ill-informed CS agents to waste more than five hours of my (unpaid) time.

For what it's worth, i also inquired as to whether the glitch also affected the automatic 5 star DSR because my shipping cost DSR seemed to drop during the same time. To date no one has responded to this and no credit has yet been received.

Message 169 of 198
latest reply

Anyone from eBay still monitors this thread ?

Btw. I sent bug report about below issue to kalvin@ebay.com on July 14, 2012. So far no reply.

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Canadian-Powersellers-Discussion/Buyer-From-Usa/4000005542

Message 170 of 198
latest reply

I have had an issue with lowest price plus shipping for along time and almost to the point where I wanted to contact ebay about refunding me money but I know how that would turn out ...

I have sense revised my entire store but before I was listing My shipping in my buy now price and listing with free shippping alway making sure I was the cheapest on ebay so I had better exposure but for some reason another seller whom was always higher combined totals was always higher on the view list under price plus shipping ....

This should be loked into because i had to call ebay 3 times because of it and could have called alteast 63 times and probably even more then what I kepttrack of ....

Why would I make a poor profit for little exposure well that is not what I thought I was doing until I started going through listings 1 by 1 and the other seller always remained one up on the viewing list ..

There was not 1 single reason when clicking price plus shipping lowest that they should have been above me but most of the time they were which I am sure of the year cost me dozens of sales ...

I would appreciate if you ebay spent more time looking into this because I know the last person I talked to was a mom at her computer with her kids screaming in the backround with less knowledge about ebay then my 4 year old kid ... I have sense refrained from calling ebay because out of 10 phone calls with 8 different issues I have had 0 success and I know you guys on here know whats up so maybe you can pass some messages along the line and have this looked into ...

Message 171 of 198
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right i'm having issue with being charged for insertion fees even though my 50 free  auction-style listings are not up. Is anyone esle having this problem???

Message 172 of 198
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

problem solved nvr mind

Message 173 of 198
latest reply

Very strange things are happening to me that have never happened before.

1.  An item I sold and shipped was still listed for sale on my site.

(reported to eBay)

2. A listing I ended last night was still showing for sale this morning and another item had been ended.

3.  An item I purchased from another seller was still listed on his site as being for sale.  (I left feedback for this item even though I had not received it and it was no longer for sale in his listings).

Odd issues, indeed!

eBay must be doing a lot of tinkering with the site right now.   

Message 174 of 198
latest reply

I think that the MAKE AN OFFER function should be disallowed during seller's vacation. In most cases sellers do not attend computers during vacation (or not very often) and good offer may be treated as unaccepted due to non-response from the seller.

The other option is to extend offer's time to match 48 hours after the vacation ends.

Message 175 of 198
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone out there come up with any ideas about how to improve feedback?  Yes, I actually read feedback before I buy. It fully understand that it is voluntary, but does it have to be?  It really bothers me that some people do not feel the need or the obligation to leave it. If I buy and I leave feedback for a seller, they reap the rewards - 5-Star ratings, top seller status, shipping discounts etc. But I've had a few top-rated sellers who haven't returned the feedback.  Even though I am a buyer, I would like others to know that I paid right away and that I'm a good buyer.

Also, is anybody bothered by the fact that the amount paid for shipping does not appear on the shipping label printed through PayPal?  Is there a way to make it appear? I love the option and use it all the time, but I would like my buyers to know exactly what I paid to ship a package to them.  I want them to know that they were not overcharged.  Many of my customers are from the US and they balk at the costs.  I would also like to know that a top-rated seller who printed a label and received a discount, passed that discount to me instead of pocketing it.  If the actual amount paid was on the label, I would know.

Thanks for letting me rant...

Kathy

Message 176 of 198
latest reply

1. I've been spending a lot of time on the Paypal forums lately. The sellers there are....disturbed about the 21-day hold. Part of that disturbance arises out of their surprise when they find that their payment HAS indeed been held.

Surely ebay has enough information by now to be able to insert a message in the listing process that definitively states whether the payment will be held or not, so the seller has better information with which to make a decision.

Some of those people are depending on the items they sell for rent money and they're left in a terrible circumstance when they find out that the rent won't be paid for 2 - 3 weeks.

This is something ebay could do, not paypal, because it occurs at the listing stage.

This is a huge issue for us. If a bank requires 10 days for a cheque to clear, why 21 for ebay to pay those that make money for them. I notice they take their fees right away. If the sale is done, paid for, shipped, tracked, delivered. Doesn't that mean the seller has done their job. Not all buyers leave feedback so we wait 21 days.

I feel as do many others that this is too long. Why not make it bi-weekly? if you must or the 10 days like a bank does on cheques. Or, what about those who have served a probationary time of 3 months showing their history of transactions being positive. Then have their funds available to them within a shortened time frame?

I'm not a seller with a store, but most of those people have been around a long time, do they too have to wait 21 days?

This is a huge problem for retirees whom I imagine are a large percentage of your seller base.  The 21 days is just not realistic with how the economy is functioning now-a-days.

Anyway, just my opinion/thoughts on the matter.

Janet and Paul
Message 177 of 198
latest reply

I had this happen to me last month. I thought it was something I was doing lol

Janet and Paul
Message 178 of 198
latest reply

Right i'm having issue with being charged for insertion fees even though my 50 free  auction-style listings are not up. Is anyone esle having this problem???

Sorry forgot the quote. Ugh! Okay this happened to me last month and I thought it was something I was doing...

Janet and Paul
Message 179 of 198
latest reply

Two days ago we had a lengthy problem with pictures' loading and storage, and have spent a lot of time re-listing or fixing... Seems it was a major thing (at least for North American eBay).

I think it was exactly the case when we should get eBay's announcement about this flaw and estimated duration of the repairs. And then we coud have a GO AHEAD announcement when fixed.

It would be friendly gesture towards sellers (for a change), and it used to be like this in earlier years.

Message 180 of 198
latest reply