seller almost burnt my truck to the ground with his hid kit what do i do

tabithalew
Community Member

I bought a hid hit off this **bleep** and it almost burnt my truck to the ground with the cost of having someone look at it and rip it all out for me now he wants me to pay the shipping to send it back i could have boughten a top of the line hid kit 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: seller almost burnt my truck to the ground with his hid kit what do i do

I am sorry it happened to you.

However, I do not think it is a good idea to buy lower priced "stuff" on eBay to install on a Cadillac Escalade.

Quality cars command quality parts.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What is a 'hid hit"? I want a new word for my vocabulary list.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The name of the seller was edited by the monitor.  It still only takes a few seconds to find it.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The mod leave no trace of the item in question,I don't have a quality car but I still would like to know what that hit (light?)was so I don't install it on my car and burn it to the ground.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

HID stands for high intensity discharge. It's a different technology of headlamp from normal halogen bulbs. It gives a whiter, almost blue light. The OP purchased a HID kit for their vehicle without reading the warnings and ignoring the risks. HID bulbs can run MUCH hotter than standard bulbs especially when people purchase the high wattage kits in attempt to brighten their headlights.

Anytime you install higher wattage bulbs on any vehicle you risk damaging the  lamps and causing a potential fire.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

"The mod leave no trace..."

Experienced users know to check feedback. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@resabed01 wrote:

HID stands for high intensity discharge. It's a different technology of headlamp from normal halogen bulbs. It gives a whiter, almost blue light. The OP purchased a HID kit for their vehicle without reading the warnings and ignoring the risks. HID bulbs can run MUCH hotter than standard bulbs especially when people purchase the high wattage kits in attempt to brighten their headlights.

And they're a pain below the tailbone for other drivers in oncoming traffic.  I've been blinded by a few of those on the twisty mountain roads of British Columbia.  Man Mad

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

AAAHa,HID not hit! I got it, followed th FB and found it,and what a cheap system it was, remember them from 2007 ,wanted one for my Civic, it was around $200 then. it was scary to trust a stranger with not much  experience to play around with my car electronics so I forgot about it.

Mornotom is right about them being a pain in the butt.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

portfelt
Community Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. The rapid rise of new lighting products for vehicles has created a hazardous condition to the motorist who has installed them in their vehicle. It has become dangerous as well to the person approaching a vehicle equipped with these headlights. The human eye is most sensitive to the yellow light frequencies and the vast majority of cars from the factory are equipped with such headlights. After market headlight makers have strayed from common sense and produced bulbs with brilliant white characteristics that produce more light in the blue side of the spectrum and even doubled the wattage ratings. These lights are merely for cosmetic reasons and have no real advantage over the yellow spectrum lights and are a hazard to oncoming traffic. I live in a country area with little street lighting and when approaching a vehicle with these blue spectrum lights have been totally blinded and forced to come to a complete stop until they have passed. The yellow spectrum bulbs have superior distance characteristics at half the power and do not blind oncoming traffic. Use a little common sense people before the government is forced to legislate and enforce tougher penalties for non-conforming vehicle lighting.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The biggest problem with those high kelvin HID headlights isn't just that improperly installed and aimed light blind oncoming drivers, they also wash out any differences in contrast on the road.

A friend of mine put new bulbs (Not HID, but Xenon) that was in the blue spectrum around 6500 Kelvin on his motorcycle. He started going around a curve and hit a patch of sand he didn't even see, which caused him to wipe out. With regular temperature light bulbs, he would have seen the sand on the road.

He wasn't going very fast and was wearing his leathers, so just got a few scrapes and bruises. He sure changed those bulbs back to the regular 4300 Kelvin bulbs fast after he got the bike fixed.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply