Can eBay STOP shipping with canada post?

Seriously stop it! Ive been waiting nearly a month now for my item that has arrived from over the boarder may 7th...

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

EBay doesn't sell anything nor does eBay ship anything.

EBay is a venue where independent sellers offer their own products, set their own prices and do their own shipping.

Your best bet if you are not getting Canada Post service at your address, is to only buy from sellers who use UPS or other  couriers to ship.

But be aware that not only are those private services more expensive that the international postal system, but that they often sub-contract to Canada Post if they don't want to service certain areas, mostly rural and isolated, but often suburban.

You should also be aware that couriers strictly observe Canadian laws about duty and sales taxes, which come into play when you import items valued over $20Cdn(currently about $14US). Even items that are not dutiable are still taxable.

And courier charges for "customs brokerage" start at $25 for that $20 item.

Be careful what you wish for, cause you just might get it.--Nicole Scherzinger

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

EBay gave you a delivery window.

If the last day of that window has passed you can open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre.

By the way, the hold up is eleven business days, including the Victoria Day weekend.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

eBay does not ship with Canada Post.  Sellers do the shipping.

The GSP (Global Shipping Program) which some American Sellers use does have Canada Post do some of the deliveries.

It's the covid-19 holiday season as far as shipping is concerned. Expect delays:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/canada/canada-post-dhl-report-christmas-level-parcel-volumes-...

https://www.journalpioneer.com/business/local-business/union-says-canada-post-keeping-employees-safe...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/mail-carriers-have-their-hands-full-1.5569150

-..-

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

yes i do accept delays of a week but not over a month hell im in a reddit grp where ppl have been waiting for over 3 months for there item and still havent received it. Its just sitting at a canada post office and hasent moved since.

Myself i will be filing a claim, i refuse to wait and the excuse of covid is bogus...i have gotten items i ordered AFTER said item. The seller has failed to deliver the item in a timely manner and i would expect a full refund. Next time ship with a reliable carrier.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I feel that this is not a fair judgement to pass on the seller. Canada Post is usually reliable (as much as I hate to say that in a way). I'm not sure what the story is on your particular parcel. But as is stated all over the internet, there are major delays happening with Canada Post right now. It states this on ebay, as well as on the Canada Post website. When purchasing an item online you need to be aware of these things.

Yes, definitely open a case. That is VERY fair. But please do not pass this off on the seller. The seller is likely just a poor "normie" (normal person) and cannot control how Canada Post responds to a worldwide pandemic.

Think of it this way: if you were the seller, wouldn't you feel it is unfair, if you sold a book while major delays were going on, and the buyer turned around and blamed you? It surely wouldn't be your fault. You shipped the item in a timely manner but Canada Post decided to sit on it. 

Yes, Canada Post does suck. But the seller likely has the best of intentions and that is the thing to remember here.

However, as I stated above, you are definitely right to open a case on ebay to get your money back. That is very fair. But please do not judge the seller on this.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

[This should actually read as a reply to ]

Let me tell you about 2 recent purchases from the USA...
I've had an item from the West Coast travel from the Richmond treatment center to Montreal
area in 2 days (most likely not needing taxes to be paid), while the  other one that was purchased through GSP (not my choice, but I could not change it) has been sitting in a warehouse in Mississauga for more than 10 days without being scanned again (even though it's supposed to go through customs like a breeze).
Still, I prefer that they went through USPS and Canada Post, because it would have cost a LOT more on any other carrier!  Like $35 to $75 more on each shipment...
If you really think Covid 19 is a bogus excuse, then you're in for a very unpleasant reality check pretty soon, because it's a big issue right now, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.  It's real, it's not fun, and we're ALL stuck in this together.
Not the seller's fault, and not the shipper either.  It's simply how it this for now, until the situation stabilizes.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@scypheroth 

Unless you had requested  a different courier (with higher charges as others have noted) your  shipment more than likely would have been sent with USPS (US Mail Service) who forwards off to Canadapost (Canadian Mail Service). When borders are involved a parcel can be stopped for various reasons like improper customs documentation(Fault of seller) or any current reasons happening because of Covid 19...staffing/not necessarily direct routing/high volume levels (None the fault of seller). 

-Lotz

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@scypheroth wrote:

Myself i will be filing a claim, i refuse to wait and the excuse of covid is bogus...i have gotten items i ordered AFTER said item. The seller has failed to deliver the item in a timely manner and i would expect a full refund. Next time ship with a reliable carrier.

If your item was handled by the Global Shipping Program, it would have been sent to a central distribution centre in Erlanger, Kentucky, by the seller before being forwarded to Mississauga and picked up by Canada Post after clearing customs.  The seller has fulfilled his obligations to get the item to you once the item was accepted in Erlanger.

If you do file a non-delivery claim, be sure to note that the item was forwarded by the GSP (if that's the case, of course) otherwise the bot handling the claim will "see" that the item was successfully delivered to Erlanger and declare the case closed.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

slyh92
Community Member

Canada post are union works need I say more .  Even shipping services used by other sites are delivering packages to the wrong address , those of us who live in apartment buildings are the hardest hit  for the 5th time this month Canada post , Fed eX UPS and intercom have sent my items to the wrong address or I have not received it despite the tracking saying it was delivered . Canada post takes no responsibility for misdirected mail or packages not received , if its being ship for a country outside Canada . Just today a package I was expecting was delivered to the wrong address . How this happens is anyone's guess , The address is written on the box . Are these postal services hiring literate workers , or are all postal workers of a reduced capacity ? . How hard can it be to read a shipping label ?  And is Canada post refusing to deliver packages from China ?  . If so why don't they say so ? 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I agree , for the most part sellers who have been around for over 10 years is a great indicator that he/she knows their business ( I am talking about those who have not changed their profile name a 100 times ) . As a rule when I sell I wont ship outside Canada due to the GSP charging taxes on non taxable items . The issue is with the shipping service , they all are lazy igrant union workers . Canada post refuses to take responsibility for packages that they are legally responsible for . Once its in Canada post hands they are responsible regardless of what their polices say . Both sellers and Buyers need to ban togher and go after these mail services . Nothing will change unless we , start a class action law suit against these delivery companies . Canada post as a crown company should not be complaining about small packages not being profitable as they are a government run company . For that matter no shipping services in Canada should be allowed to profit for their services . UPS charging a brokerage fee is outrageous , and billing the person receiving the item for 20% of the value of what is bought , this is gouging , once buyer has paid shipping once , it should be illegal for these companies to charge the receiver a fee . And the so called import fee on the GPS, is just way for ebay to charge a buyer fee .
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

This has been going on for over 15 years , blaming Kung Flu is just an excuse shipping companies are using to justify their unwillingness to do their job effectively and an excuse they will use to hike shipping rates . 10 years ago Canada post made a statement to the media , that they are going to use the increase of online shopping to raise their rates , and other companies declared they will capitalize on this . The delays are due to CP UPS IPS intercom Fed ex ect . to not deliver packages or delay delivery that they don't want to deliver or that are not profitable to deliver in a timely fashion . Simply put Union workers = uneducated and lazy .
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Union workers = uneducated and lazy ??

You need to educate yourself!

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

As a rule when I sell I wont ship outside Canada due to the GSP charging taxes on non taxable items .

Umm.

Canadian sellers are not eligible for the Global Shipping Program which is a Seller Protection program set up to encourage international selling by US members who are too paranoid or xenophobic to ship internationally using the postal system.
It services about 68 countries at the moment and has been popular enough with sellers and eBay that it has been extended to the UK (because: Brexit and all that that entails).

Now if you are talking about the Internet Sales Tax (actually state sales taxes) those are a US Supreme Court decision and a US state choice, nothing to do with eBay or with Canadian sellers.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Since I rarely have any problems with Canada Post whom I have been using for decades, I suspect there is more going on at your end than meets the eye...

me thinks it's time to doing some hard research and reading up on all the shipping carriers, their policies and the amount of packages that each have been handling over these past few months to get first hand knowledge of the current situation...

To blame this or that without that knowledge and understanding, will solve nothing...

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Unions helped put things in place that benefit non-unionized workers, such as the eight-hour work day, sick leave, meal breaks, classroom conditions for kids in school, and child labour laws.  Nurses--frontline workers in this pandemic--belong to unions, too.  I guess they're uneducated and lazy, too, by your thinking.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

And paid holidays-- Happy BC Day all!

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

My Grandad worked in the coalfields of England from 1938 until he retired from the same company, not only did he get paid, he also got a house to raise his family, free coal, free piped-in hot water, a garden, and an allotment and when he retired he got a bungalow, as the house was too large with its six fireplaces. I grew up there as an infant...

He had a university education to get that job as the Pit Bath Superintendent aka as the "Janitor" and it was unionized as the coal miners of Nottinghamshire were the first to do so...

And, my great-grandfather worked for the same coal mining company in the late victorian era 1890s, they also got workers' houses and they got you your 5 day work week and were also union workers...

They also had a Servant named Marie Floir, yes my great grand who was a coal miner had a live in servant! Think about that...

Dumb and uneducated, learn your social history!

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

You state Canada Post takes no responsibility for misdirected packages and state Fed Ex, UPS and Intercom also misdelivered. Did they take responsibility? You only seem fixated on Canada Post but it sounds like there is a delivery problem with the address, not the delivery companies? You need to start your inquiry there. I can't believe that every company has it wrong.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I prefer delivery by Canada Post because they have a Key to get in my apartment building and access to the mail boxes. Other carriers do not. And if for some reason Canada Post is unable to deliver the pick up location is a short walk away.  With other carriers I have to do a round trip by taxi.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply