Canada Buyers come July 1 2022 you will have to pay tax on all purchases new or used

33nhl
Community Member

Come July 1 2022 all Canada buyers will now be paying tax on just about every thing they buy on Ebay no matter what if new or old used or just scrap.  Plus with sales tax ebay collects will be charging fees on that portion to sellers, so good luck to all as i have feeling many will not be buying on ebay as they once did and will fo instead to facebokk market and other online markets

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Canada Buyers come July 1 2022 you will have to pay tax on all purchases new or used

Exactly.

Clear and succint.

Although I suspect that there will be less transfer than you think in the long run.

The US market went through this a couple of years back, and their population hates taxes even more than the average Canadian.

Things have settled down.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Same was said by USA sellers when their states "internet taxation" took effect...Guess what? this isn't an eBay thing> This taxation applies to other selling sites as well. USA Buyers have had 3 years to get accustomed to that USA taxation process, so I highly doubt the Canadian taxation process will have any different affect, after everyone gets used to it...

Accept,adjust, adapt,and carry on!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Agree. Death and taxes - it's inevitable. We don't have to like, but it's there.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

...No, not really, and this whole Tax thing was announced in the 2021 Canadian Budget. But, then again those that do vote, never read the budget...

...I guess it's why we have the mess we have today.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

FYI for those including me who were inquiring about this issue on a previous thread i did speak to my accountant about it and they had heard one of their colleagues talk about it, no first hand information was available to her.  She said this colleague said his understanding of it is that all of us who run businesses will still collect and remit gst under our own gst numbers but ebay will collect and remit gst for all sellers who arent technically 'businesses' (who dont have a gst number and are running this out of their back pocket not as a formally licensed business).  I think the understanding amongst many here is that ebay were going to collect and remit for all sellers regardless of business incorporation / sole propship or what have you.  She did indicate she will be seeking clarification and will share as soon as more info is learned.  By the sounds of it accountants are unclear about how this development is going to affect us as well. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

eBay has said they are required to collect for all sellers regardless if the seller is registered or not. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@darak10 , did you mention to your accountant that eBay will require sellers registered to collect sales taxes to complete billing agent authorization forms?  That bit of information may have helped her make a better guess.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

do you have the link for this statement?  Id like to read it directly to get more specifics and pass it on to my accountant.  thanks!  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

thats news to me...i'll pass on that info.  where did you hear this?  do you have a link, was it part of a news update or media release somewhere?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The info was in an email that eBay Canada should have sent off to active Canadian sellers. Lotz posted a screen shot to start off this thread:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-Canada-collecting-Canadian-Sales-Tax-as-of-July-1-2...
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

great, thanks!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply