China to Canada getting longer

Before ebay from to China to Canada used to take around 3-4 weeks. Lately from China stuff has been taking upwards of 2 months now.

-Is Canada post still catching up from the Chrismas rush?

-Did the mules on land or slow boats on water lose their GPS system and get lost?

It seems to me as of Christmas China delivery times have doubled and not reverted to normal yet.

Am I the only one waiting 2 months for China items or has anyone else had this problem start withing the last 3-4 months? I'm still waiting for something that was shipped on Jan.5 that said it should be here Jan.21 - Feb.5.

Bottom line of the question: DO CHINA DELIVERIES SEEM TO BE TAKING 2X AS LONG THAN 6 MONTHS AGO TO ARRIVE IN CANADA.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

The way Chinese shipments are going there's a possibility that a lot of these sellers will disappear.

Can they survive eBay's most recent rating system?

There are several items I buy on a regular basis from China and I'm tempted to buy a huge supply.

These sellers might increase rates so they can ship with tracking or disappear altogether.

Personally, I wish that buyers would stop trashing their ratings.  All the sellers I've bought from have been model eBayers and have nothing to gain by not shipping or shipping late.

Compared to the rest of us, they work very hard for their money and must be very stressed dealing with these postal delays.

I really feel for them.

Message 21 of 83
latest reply

I really don't get it now. I have one seller from china that has managed to get 2 orders to me within or before

the shipping window. Needless to say they get great feedback. Not sure how they did it as it was standard

free shipping.... like all the others that are still MIA. About 10 sellers, some of them I have purchased regularly for last 2 years with good results, that I have packages that have either gone missing, never got shipped or are all stuck in Canada post or Customs.

Really frustrating and dissapointing. I have stopped buying on Ebay until all these MIA orders arrive or it all gets straightened out.

Might be time to quit Ebay and try Alibaba. Although I have little confidence it is any better.

Message 22 of 83
latest reply

@synaptic2112 wrote:

I really don't get it now. I have one seller from china that has managed to get 2 orders to me within or before

the shipping window. Needless to say they get great feedback. Not sure how they did it as it was standard

free shipping.... like all the others that are still MIA. About 10 sellers, some of them I have purchased regularly for last 2 years with good results, that I have packages that have either gone missing, never got shipped or are all stuck in Canada post or Customs.

Really frustrating and dissapointing. I have stopped buying on Ebay until all these MIA orders arrive or it all gets straightened out.

Might be time to quit Ebay and try Alibaba. Although I have little confidence it is any better.

So how is eBay the problem here?

Message 23 of 83
latest reply

Ebay is part of the problem because they are not helping to find out what is going on, or where ever it is going on.

This is not just me ... its many Ebay users who are experiencing the same problem right now in Canada. Ebay probably

knows what is going on but is not informing its longterm customers so we can avoid these headaches and delays.

Oh I know what you are going to say.... follow the program, open a case, get the refund and shutup. Well thats great

but now I have lost time and probably the order, and am hunting for a source again which is either impossible to find

in North America anymore let alone at a decent price. Lets not even talk about shipping in North America. Also...because

of how feedback works and my general nature having to let people know that they have done a **bleep**py job or failed to hold

up their end of the bargain.... I might be hitting at the wrong person, the seller. What will happen if Ebay keeps just handing

out refunds without fixing the problem or at least helping to find out the problem, is that these sellers may not sell

to Canadian buyers anymore.

All we want is the problem to be addressed.... and fixed. Hopefully in a timely fashion.

Message 24 of 83
latest reply

@synaptic2112 wrote:

. I might be hitting at the wrong person, the seller. What will happen if Ebay keeps just handing

out refunds without fixing the problem or at least helping to find out the problem, is that these sellers may not sell

to Canadian buyers anymore.

All we want is the problem to be addressed.... and fixed. Hopefully in a timely fashion.

synaptic:  

When you trash these sellers you are not helping the problem.  You are making it worse for everyone.

In fact, keep doing that and these sellers will disappear from eBay.   Cut them some slack!

Everything these sellers do indicates that they are working much harder than the rest of are just to stay afloat.

They are effusively polite and refund immediately at the slightest hint of a problem.  

They have nothing to gain by shipping slowly or not shipping at all and a lot to lose.

The sellers I've encountered are doing everything right,.  eBay can't fix the problem any more than the sellers can.

However, there is in fact something buyers can do to address the problem.  

When ordering items from China, order 3 months in advance,.

Message 25 of 83
latest reply

If a buyer does not receive an item it is a bad buying experience. If there is no tracking there is no way to know if the item was mailed and when a seller has hundreds of item didn't arrive comments, I find it difficult to give that seller the benefit of the doubt.

Those sellers have the option of charging more for shipping so that there is delivery confirmation and quicker service. They choose instead to sell more which is fine but that can come with consequences.

If you were getting mega complaints from buyers because your items took too long to arrive or didn't arrive at all.....would you not try to solve the problem instead of telling people to wait another month or two?

Message 26 of 83
latest reply

I have currently put all purchases for items from China on hold as I too have seen a spike in items not arriving. Was once upon a time where if I needed something or anticipated I would need something, I could order and expect it in 4 weeks. Now, 6 weeks is the norm and in half the cases, the item just doesn't arrive at all. I had planned on coming to Buyer Central to post about this, and what do you know, already a thread about my very issues.

I'm wondering if this is the newest trend in scamming. Have a listing with a ridiculously long shipping time. In some cases the buyer forgets about the item or timelines and the seller scores! In other cases the buyer complains and gets a prompt refund? I would like to see the percentage stats on refunds vs abandonments vs delivered but those are numbers we'll never see. Ebay's resolution center is a joke With menus and links that just go around in circles, me thinks this was designed to frustrate people to the point of abandonment rather than helping them out.

I don't like having so many disputes open as it's starting to paint me as the bad guy, which I'm not. I simply would like the items I purchased to be delivered.

I also don't want to dish out negative feedback or low DSRs to a seller that did what was expected on their end.

This needs to get fixed because, like I said, I've stopped buying from Chinese sellers on ebay.

Message 27 of 83
latest reply

Even my Japan to Canada mail has slowed down significantly this year, not just China (which got slower too). My Japan SAL mail used to get here within 2 weeks with the occasional 3-4 weeks. Now taking 3-4 weeks is the norm and rarely within 2 weeks. 

Message 28 of 83
latest reply

apvm
Community Member

lately, most of the stuff that I ordered from China either don't arrive or take more than 3 months.  Ebay sent me an email and warned me for opening too many dispute for item not arrive.  I think I'll stop buying from China.

Message 29 of 83
latest reply

Wow... guess I will be getting that email also eventually. I can't wait,  as a have been requesting on every "not arrived from China

dispute" that Ebay refunds to me .... that they provide me the reasons as to why  this is happening. They know what is going on,

they just don't want to expose something that could potentially damage or slow down purchases. Needless to say, I have not been

provided with any answer yet... which is about what I expected from Ebay. Take the refund and shutup I guess.

Message 30 of 83
latest reply

Well, what kind of "answers" were you expecting from eBay? eBay doesn't run the postal system.
Message 31 of 83
latest reply

eBay are not answerable to you. They would be broke if they had staff sitting around answering all these customer questions.

Your choice is to put up with it or go elsewhere. Their business is of millions of customers, millions of small transactions and small margins ... administered by computers. Now if you ordered a $40,000 car from a dealer they should have enough profit to talk about any problems to keep you happy

Message 32 of 83
latest reply

If others didn't see the post from the Asian seller on the Seller's Board it's worth a look because it gives some insight into what it feels like to them. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Asia-to-Canada-very-slow-shipping-situation-worse-and-wor...

Message 33 of 83
latest reply

Hello, hopefully I can convey some of the most useful info yet.

From a sellers point of view (Aussie in Taiwan selling for 3 years now with a growing business).

75% of our customers are in Australia or USA. About 5-10% are in Canada.

Delivery to Western countries take 1-4 weeks 90% of the time. USA is by far the fastest. Formerly, in 2013, delivery to Canada was almost the same speed as USA.

(we always use the same unregistered airmail postage service from Taiwan, which may or may not be put in same boat as China)

(our items are mostly $25 or less so we "self insure" and put trust in the 99% of customers that are sweet and have a brain)

In 2014 we started having more common issues with items to Canada. It got worse in 2015, and now this year about half of Canadian customers complain about items not arriving, mostly in messages, some with opening cases (poor communicators generally, that risk my account being torn apart by merely a few "unresolved cases" marks, but that's a separate major issue.)

Probably half of our Canadian customers forget to complain at all. But everyone gets their item eventually if their address was correct.

In any case, I'm quite certain that it's Canada's customs/mail service's problem.

My brother lives in Vancouver, even he has had trouble getting items mailed from Australia (about 2 months+ when it should take 1-2 weeks). Probably only items from "across the border" are coming at normal speed.

For my part, we have no other outstanding issues with delivery to other countries (South America, Italy, Spain are always and still the worst and we require registered service paid, ie $3 extra, for them). This new issue has been a slowing down exclusive to Canada.

Until today I didn't know it was because "China didn't pay Canada Post enough money" etc - does anyone have evidence/official news about this?

My solution currently:  Last month I started forewarning all Canadian customers upon purchase that items may take over 1 month, and offered $3 extra for registered postage only if they wanted (should keep items under 1 month, even now - they get priority it seems).

This month however, because of cases risking my account going below standard simply because of "unresolved cases", I won't send without Canadian customers paying the extra for registered. It's a real bummer, as it was never needed before. But I'm going to do this for the next few months. That and auto-refund alot more customers (which I only did a couple times a year previously).

You might expect eBay to care, as threats to my account from Canada's situation could undo all their monthly revenue from me. But I've seen nothing from them about what must be an obvious pattern/problem by now.

I guess in the short term they don't care - items not received cases, and seller refunds (us losing money) still keep them their fee from sellers...

In the long run, they're not helping sellers as usual.

So in conclusion - I have my solution, but its going to be a bother and hassle to communicate more with Canadian customers, registered their items (at the Taiwan post offices which are like a retirement home in terms of workers 😉, and raise their costs through registered mail.

Better than have my family business shutdown, right?

I'm quite sure there's no way to make customers in Canada exclusively pay $3 more before they buy, right? At least not for items on ebay.com or ebay.com.au

I don't want to ban them, but that is an option, which perhaps some Asian sellers have taken. I hope it won't become a trend 🙂

Hope we can all continue to share thoughts.

Message 34 of 83
latest reply

@nig88bro-chief wrote:

In any case, I'm quite certain that it's Canada's customs/mail service's problem.

My brother lives in Vancouver, even he has had trouble getting items mailed from Australia (about 2 months+ when it should take 1-2 weeks). Probably only items from "across the border" are coming at normal speed.

For my part, we have no other outstanding issues with delivery to other countries (South America, Italy, Spain are always and still the worst and we require registered service paid, ie $3 extra, for them). This new issue has been a slowing down exclusive to Canada.

I'm not convinced that the problem is exclusively (please note this term) on Canada's end.

As you note earlier in your post, shipments to Canada make up a far smaller proportion of your sales than do shipments to Australia or the United States.  Extrapolating from this, I'd say that the volume of mail to Canada from Taiwan or Australia is considerably smaller than that to the United States and many European countries.

Could part of the problem be that--due to cost cutting and this comparatively smaller volume of mail--items sent by less expensive classes of mail are sitting around longer in Taiwan or Australia awaiting more items to send with them on planes (or boats) to Canada?

@nig88bro-chief wrote:

Until today I didn't know it was because "China didn't pay Canada Post enough money" etc - does anyone have evidence/official news about this?

I can't give you official news on this, but these articles explain a bit about how "terminal dues" work for international shipments sent by mail:

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/economy-budget/264681-universal-disservice

http://postandparcel.info/65761/news/regulation/amazon-leads-criticisms-of-upu-terminal-dues-system-...

@nig88bro-chief wrote:

My solution currently:  Last month I started forewarning all Canadian customers upon purchase that items may take over 1 month, and offered $3 extra for registered postage only if they wanted (should keep items under 1 month, even now - they get priority it seems).

From your post, I'm not clear on what you feel registering your shipments to Canada is supposed to accomplish.

Message 35 of 83
latest reply

Ok, sorry for confusion.

It's possible that there are delays in Australia or Taiwan, however I'll repeat - to me its obvious that its Canada's issue because its been a progressive problem, slowly but continuously getting worse over time, meanwhile there have been no other developing issues like this anywhere else. Not to mention my experience is not alone.

Deliveries to Australia, Germany, and a few other European countries have improved the past 12-18 months (somewhat noticably), to provide a contrast (experience based on thousands of items mailed).

Minor point: I know that Australia and Canada have shared similar economic issues due to falling currencies with falling commodity export prices - Australia has reduced mail services domestically, maybe Canada has too. Yet this year since Xmas deliveries to Aussie customers seems to have improved alot. (eg. coz the government stopped messing around and let customs+Aus. Post do their jobs)

Registered mail must get priority in queues for items waiting to be shipped on planes, though customs, and by domestic mail services. Typically it halves the delivery time. But it keeps deliveries under a 3-4 week limit, which helps dealing with or totally prevent eBay late item problems.

Not to mention more importantly, it allows seller protection guarantee etc through paypal and eBay, because I can "prove" I sent the item! aka guarantee against refunds! 🙂

I'll respond to the useful articles you linked next.

Message 36 of 83
latest reply

So it looks like "Terminal Dues" is the keyword here.

It makes sense that unpaid amounts that compensate the cost for delivery on Canada's side are the reason - eg. items are now just piling up on the far side of customs, waiting to be checked and passed into the country. Thus the delays (for months)

Maybe its a form of protest that will get them paid by the external parties. One day.

I know its ridiculous that in Australia it costs $2 to send a package in the same city, meanwhile all the way from Taiwan to Australia it can be as little as 40 cents (for up to 20grams - its about 25c for each additional 20grams)

I think in Canada it costs about $2.50 to mail a small package too. From Taiwan as little as US 55 cents.

Since 2013 Australia posts domestic postage has gone up 70%. In Taiwan its remained the same, including international postage. Taiwan (and China) have currency that is about 90% pegged to the US dollar, so their costs would be lower that way, but other economies would probably be struggling with costs. From the news about Canada's economy in the past couple years, I think they'd be no exception (mainly the collapsing oil price). If prices don't rise and they don't get more money from other places, their postal service has to diminish quality.

Message 37 of 83
latest reply

in Australia it costs $2 to send a package in the same city, meanwhile all the way from Taiwan to Australia it can be as little as 40 cents

But how long does a Taiwanese have to work to earn 40c compared to an Australian earnign $2?

I did a little research, and since the numbers are from different sites and in different currencies, did a little conversion.

The average annual wage in Taiwan is $16,920 USD while the average in Australia is $57,591USD.

I was actually a little surprised at both figures. (The Canadian average is $37,240 USD).

Your point about rising postal costs in the West/first world, and stable/subsidized costs elsewhere is valid.

Message 38 of 83
latest reply

lsv_84
Community Member

I have ordered some stuff from China and it's been over 2 months + and I haven't received.

I believe 100% it's a customs issue.

Other stuff from Japan and UK come within one week.

They are holding up certain countries... I guess the ones we could describe as not NATO aligned.

Or they are doing the bidding of corporate interests as now more consumers will be forced to buy from the local bigbox or whatever for the same "made in china" you can get on ebay and cut the middle man out of the picture.

Message 39 of 83
latest reply

I don't know - it could be many things. But to me its just a clear trend, and unique to Canada 😕

off topic:

[[Yes - the cost of living in Taiwan is very low, which makes the low wages acceptable. Typically its US$1000 a month for entry level jobs. In Australia about 3 time that.

However PPP - Purchasing Power Parity is almost the same! (similar to cost of living). There's only 10% difference in living wealth - data from wikipedia.

By the way Canada and Australia are almost the same.

The other reason is taxes. Almost none paid here. In Australia and Canada I think its typically 20%.]]

I think if you register your items, the queue through Canadian customs is skipped - no matter which Asian country, it should be only a few dollars extra. So ask the seller if you can pay extra for that (even though some of them will be too lazy - their customer service is just made of workers, not owner operated with native english like ours 🙂

Registering should at least keep delivery to Canada under 3-4 weeks, from my experience.

Message 40 of 83
latest reply