Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

I looked very quickly at all the post for this topics(and other of the same).

ebay should take this matter VERY VERY SERIOUSLY.

look at all the new members posting very much against this awe full GSP.

Dont play the political game on this one. ebay is on collision course with MR. LOOSE.

Message 521 of 6,171
latest reply

Just read through Questions About The Global Shipping Program. It states in their that PBI DOES NOT HAVE A GST/PST NUMBER!   They just send the packages on to their Canadian brokers in Canada. And as everyone should know Canada Boarder Services can only proses about 5% of it, They only pay tax on that 5% and get to keep 95% of what they collect. That,s MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in profit for ebay. So do not expect them to cancel or change it ever!!!!

Message 522 of 6,171
latest reply

@prairietrains wrote:

Just read through Questions About The Global Shipping Program. It states in their that PBI DOES NOT HAVE A GST/PST NUMBER!   They just send the packages on to their Canadian brokers in Canada. And as everyone should know Canada Boarder Services can only proses about 5% of it, They only pay tax on that 5% and get to keep 95% of what they collect. That,s MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in profit for ebay. So do not expect them to cancel or change it ever!!!!

I'm not following how this means "millions of dollars in profit for eBay."  Anybody else confused by this assertion?

Message 523 of 6,171
latest reply

Most often the problem is with notebooks. What used to cost $30 in shipping charges + duties are now are upwards of $45 + the duties that seem to be more than what I used to pay at my local Canada Post office. A pure cash grab.

Message 524 of 6,171
latest reply

@highpowernetwork wrote:

Most often the problem is with notebooks. What used to cost $30 in shipping charges + duties are now are upwards of $45 + the duties that seem to be more than what I used to pay at my local Canada Post office. A pure cash grab.

Cash grab for whom?  Don't forget, you're paying for two sets of shipping charges with the GSP.  The first would be the domestic portion, which is what the seller charges (and collects) for shipping the item to the Global Shipping Center in Erlanger, KY.  The second would be for shipping the item to its Canadian destination.  It stands to reason that whatever the seller charges for domestic shipping is going to boost the GSP shipping by that amount.

Also keep in mind that GSP items are likely transported to Canada in a different manner than mailed shipments, which also affects the shipping charge.

For what it's worth, I've noticed the opposite for smartphones.  Because many U.S. sellers offer free domestic shipping for smartphones and the alternative to the GSP tends to be carriers other than the post office that may not even collect funds for taxes until the item's on my doorstep, shipping tends to be way less expensive with the GSP.  The customs-related charges other than taxes also tend to be less than Canada Post's C$9.95 charge.

Note that I keep referring to "taxes" rather than "duty".  That's because that's where the bulk of GSP charges generally are.  There may be a bit of "duty" on a laptop, but most of what you're paying is actually taxes (GST/PST/HST).

Message 525 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@highpowernetwork wrote:

Cash grab for whom?  Don't forget, you're paying for two sets of shipping charges with the GSP.  The first would be the domestic portion, which is what the seller charges (and collects) for shipping the item to the Global Shipping Center in Erlanger, KY.  The second would be for shipping the item to its Canadian destination.  It stands to reason that whatever the seller charges for domestic shipping is going to boost the GSP shipping by that amount.

Also keep in mind that GSP items are likely transported to Canada in a different manner than mailed shipments, which also affects the shipping charge.

For what it's worth, I've noticed the opposite for smartphones.  Because many U.S. sellers offer free domestic shipping for smartphones and the alternative to the GSP tends to be carriers other than the post office that may not even collect funds for taxes until the item's on my doorstep, shipping tends to be way less expensive with the GSP.  The customs-related charges other than taxes also tend to be less than Canada Post's C$9.95 charge.

Note that I keep referring to "taxes" rather than "duty".  That's because that's where the bulk of GSP charges generally are.  There may be a bit of "duty" on a laptop, but most of what you're paying is actually taxes (GST/PST/HST).

If i am paying two shipping charges and GST/PST/HST then why would anybody really want to use this service, what advantage do i have...

will i get my product faster,  it doesn't sound like it, will it ever be less then just using USPs and paying 1- shipping charge to the seller and possibly GST/PST/HST and Duty, I think not..

You keep saying  Canada Post Charges 9,95, i have rarely been charged this fee.., Like i said in a previous post i just got an item from Florida.. USPS took 8 days I thought was very fast shipping  and 12.95 shipping charge i also thought  is very reasonable for an item 14 inches x 18 x 3   1 lb  in weight, and there were no other charges, no 9.95 Canada post charge, no duty no HST/Pst/GST

Message 526 of 6,171
latest reply

I could have bought my product from an ebayer using GSP. This seller has the same item, for the same cost 139.00

He wants 20.96 shipping charge from Illinois,which is much closer then Florida to me , the GSP charge is 39.96, so if i would have bought this item from a GSP seller i would pay 47.97 more for the same item.
Message 527 of 6,171
latest reply

"if i would have bought this item from a GSP seller i would pay 47.97 more for the same item."

That is only true if you assume your parcel would have been delivered to ON without Canada Customs charging you 13% HST (plus duty if applicable) and Canada Post their automatic $9.95 handling fee (when taxes are paid).

Yes, many Canadian buyers will gamble that Canada Customs will let their parcel go through and be delivered without taxes being charged, in contravention to Canadian laws.

That is the irony of it all.  The biggest drawback of GSP is the fact the Canadian government through Canada Customs does not apply the laws of the land evenly.  Some pay, some do not.

Message 528 of 6,171
latest reply

After GSP said they lost my item (was supposed to arrive between Nov 8th and 15th) I got an e-mail on Sunday saying it's going to be handed off to Canada Post.  I track it on Canada Post's website and it says they were notified that they will be getting it but haven't yet.  I wonder if it will ever show up.  

Message 529 of 6,171
latest reply

Not at all impressed with the Global Shipping Program. I am in Canada and just received my first shipment via the Global Shipping Program. In the past I have always received items shipped via USPS with no problem. In this case a $600 item was just left on my front porch no signature required. I was home but the delivery person didn't even ring the bell! The package had been opened and re-boxed which is OK but I'm sure caused a delay. Not particularly fast service. No tracking while the package is en route to the re-shipper and minimal tracking after that. Hard to comment on the charges because they are not itemized and I therefore cannot figure them out!

I will try and avoid sales using this service in the future especially on small items from the US.

SELLERS - please at least give us the option of NOT using the Global Shipping Program.

Message 530 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

[snip]

A significant problem with the GSP is it makes shipping (an already very exhaustive and labour-intensive process) even more exhaustive and labour intensive. There is zero streamlining of the GSP into any sort of logistics chain so sellers end up having to ship packages way out of the way to get to the destination. And on the logistics chain of the GSP itself there are way too many hands involved, it may be a job-creator for the centre(s), but it's far from efficient and that is most likely one of the reasons it's so expensive as a programme.

Another aspect about the GSP is the sheer amount of complexity about how it works. In-line with my previous paragraph in how it's labour-intensive and exhaustive, why should a shipping programme need education at all? Shipping is about handing a package off to another trusted party with an appropriate method who knows how to deal with the logistics, knows how to get it to the destination and offers a peace of mind to the sender and expectant receiver.

This isn't helped by the programme's monolithic administration where a breakdown would need entire courses to understand properly and further isn't helped by the operational opaqueness in that there's no breakdowns of anything and the only practical information is speculative and assembled from bits and pieces (as highlighted by countless non-staff posts on these forums making various authoritative assertions, I wager in good faith, but it shouldn't need to be). It shouldn't be up to people to assemble information from bits and pieces, it should be on eBay and PBI in all of this to bring the programme back to the "I don't need to think about it" shipping model with effective pricing and transparency that the postal service does well in comparison.

Getting back to the operational aspect (was getting off point into the administration of the programme), one significant sign of inefficiency is when the GSP centre employees have to unpackage an item just to repackage it (for economy reasons.. none of which are passed onto the consumer of course since the employee needs compensation for the time spent on repackaging) which introduces MORE links in the already extremely long logistics chain where accountability of loss and damages is already impossible. Even further, the PBI employees likely aren't all experts in fragile items and how to ship them properly while a seller may know better than PBI in how to properly package a specific item to guarantee its proper shipment in a wide range of motions while PBI employees may deem that the package "has too much air" and proceed to repackage it. The item leaves the GSP centre undamaged, but gets damaged in transit so operationally, the damage was PBI's fault, but administratively, it'd be on the shipping company (postal, freight, etc) due to "pass of the buck" syndrome.

Also too, as I've remarked again and again, (again operationally) I feel that the ebay.com/ca website itself needs to be reprogrammed so that the GSP is disabled and made unavailable to sellers on items under $20[1] where there are no import charges like tax or duty (since that's the main focus on the programme, so why lengthen the logistics chain and make things more expensive where it isn't needed?).

It's amazing how many hours of back and forth have been going on on these very forums to discuss a white elephant in an administrative capacity where a lot of the issues come from the operational aspects of the programme and it is  those operational issues that need discussion AND action to make the programme better, once those operational aspects are adjusted to make more sense the administrivia will fall in line.

It's no wonder GSP pricing is so expensive when such inefficiency is to be had with so many links added to the chain.

The GSP is a white elephant and needs significant revision.

[ 1 - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html ]

Message 531 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"if i would have bought this item from a GSP seller i would pay 47.97 more for the same item."

That is only true if you assume your parcel would have been delivered to ON without Canada Customs charging you 13% HST (plus duty if applicable) and Canada Post their automatic $9.95 handling fee (when taxes are paid).

Yes, many Canadian buyers will gamble that Canada Customs will let their parcel go through and be delivered without taxes being charged, in contravention to Canadian laws.

That is the irony of it all.  The biggest drawback of GSP is the fact the Canadian government through Canada Customs does not apply the laws of the land evenly.  Some pay, some do not.

Why do you make it sound like i should use GSP because we should not  expect , or gamble as you say,that Canada Post will let the parcel go through with no charges...this don't even make sense to me.

Message 532 of 6,171
latest reply

I have heard some of these comments before, on u-tube, especially about GSP re-packing items that are shipped to them..Why would they be re-packing an item...I dont even know if this is legal, they are not a customs agency.
Message 533 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

If i am paying two shipping charges and GST/PST/HST then why would anybody really want to use this service, what advantage do i have...

will i get my product faster,  it doesn't sound like it, will it ever be less then just using USPs and paying 1- shipping charge to the seller and possibly GST/PST/HST and Duty, I think not..

As I previously noted, there can be a benefit for buyers who find GSP sellers that offer free shipping within the United States as that means that the domestic leg of a GSP shipment is also free.  In addition, larger/heavier items that are still relatively economical to ship within the United States but a heck of a lot more expensive to ship out of the country may see some savings over the postal system, too.

The big theoretical advantage, though, is selection and availability of items for non-U.S. buyers.  As noted by an eBay rep, there is now a lot more international "inventory" available on .com thanks to the GSP.  People may grouse about the high costs of GSP items, but I'm betting that without the GSP those items wouldn't be available for shipping to Canada--or anywhere other than the United States--period.  

Perhaps if sellers using the GSP inappropriately get the idea that there is a demand for their items outside of the United States, they'll take it upon themselves to rework their business plan and learn how straightforward it generally is to ship directly to non-U.S. buyers.

@rick31797 wrote:

You keep saying  Canada Post Charges 9,95, i have rarely been charged this fee.., Like i said in a previous post i just got an item from Florida.. USPS took 8 days I thought was very fast shipping  and 12.95 shipping charge i also thought  is very reasonable for an item 14 inches x 18 x 3   1 lb  in weight, and there were no other charges, no 9.95 Canada post charge, no duty no HST/Pst/GST

People keep calling the GSP a "cash grab" but the only portion of it that I can see that could possibly be a "cash grab" is the portion of the import charges that doesn't go toward taxes and duty.  In many cases, that portion of the import charges is less--sometimes substantially so--than Canada Post's handling charge.  Given how many fingers are in the GSP pie, I have to ask again, "For whom is this a cash grab?"

Message 534 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

I have heard some of these comments before, on u-tube, especially about GSP re-packing items that are shipped to them..Why would they be re-packing an item...I dont even know if this is legal, they are not a customs agency.

This is the official word from PitneyBowes on opening and repackaging GSP items:

http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

Message 535 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

This is the official word from PitneyBowes on opening and repackaging GSP items:

http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

The Processing Facility will add professional void fill and/or repackage a commodity, for no additional fee to the seller, if: The original parcel is too large for the commodity – and then a replacement carton will be used of smaller dimensions - 

wow... so they do re-pack items,into a smaller box they feel are too large, this is something USPS  would not do.

Message 536 of 6,171
latest reply

"Why do you make it sound like i should use GSP"

???

I do not. I do not know why you would make that comment in any case as you already know from previous posts that I do not favour GSP in its present form.

My post simply clarified and qualified your "savings".

It is important for all readers to get the whole picture.

Message 537 of 6,171
latest reply

"this is something USPS  would not do.'

Yes they do.  I have often received packages or large envelopes repacked by either USPS or Canada Post with a note: "we are sorry the packaging of the item was damaged in transit"

Message 538 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"this is something USPS  would not do.'

Yes they do.  I have often received packages or large envelopes repacked by either USPS or Canada Post with a note: "we are sorry the packaging of the item was damaged in transit"

You are changing the facts, i was referring to GSP  re-packing a large item into a smaller one, i said USPS  would never do this, i said nothing about the packaging  being damaged, that would be a good, if GSP  did that, they are repacking for a different reason, understand...

Message 539 of 6,171
latest reply

i was referring to GSP  re-packing a large item into a smaller one

It is fair enough, really, as at that point the GSP has assumed responsibility for the safe arrival of the package undamaged, so it is out of the seller's hands.

Can anyone argue that it is inappropriate for someone responsible for undamaged arrival to repack as they see fit?

They may get it wrong, but this is something that they accept responsibility for explicitly in the terms and conditions.

Message 540 of 6,171
latest reply