Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

who is running the global shipping program? I've had problems with it!!!

I purchase all my inventory from the USA. I refuse to bid on any items that have the GSP

Message 761 of 6,171
latest reply

@konamicode wrote:

eBay, tell me why as a consumer I should continue using your service. I don't see a reason at all. You've gone to far by fee gouging. It seems that you wanted to dip your greedy fingers in more of our transactions.

Not on my watch.

Proud eBayer since 2000 and I'm not proud to being using this site any more. The GSP is where I say, "Oh hell no."

Please elaborate on your point about "fee gouging".  On most items where I've done the number-crunching, the amount left for the Global Shipping Program after taxes are taken off the quoted "import charges" is less than ten bucks, which is the amount that Canada Post charges for collecting and remitting taxes and duties charged by the Canada Border Services Agency.  That's not a very big pie to split between all the different players handling a GSP shipment.

The GSP may be rubbish for items that can be shipped as oversized international letters (i.e. First Class International or Small Packet) but I've generally found that its shipping rates are comparable if not better than what the U.S. Postal Service can do for parcel post (Priority International).

Having said all that, I don't plan on making any GSP purchases until various kinks are worked out in the departments of customer service and accountability.

Message 762 of 6,171
latest reply

@konamicode wrote:

There is nothing easy about using this site any more. It's just more hassle than it's worth. I'll just take my money to Amazon if eBay doesn't want it.

I personally don't find Amazon any easier; just different.  I've also found that items on that site also have various import charges affixed to them, but they're just buried in the price of the item.  I once compared the price of the same smartphone sold by the same seller on both A.com and A.ca and the price difference was considerable.

Message 763 of 6,171
latest reply

The shipping is not so much the issue as is the ebay/pitney bowes consortium dictating what our import costs should be.  I see GSP becoming mandatory within the next year or so and then to be followed by the ebay/pitney bowes consortiums removal of all identifying info.  We will not know to whom we sold the goods and neither will the buyer know from whom the merchandise was purchased.  Packages will opened and searched.  Am I trust those louts to effectively repack glass lab that I have carefully packed?  I do not believe that there is a Customs, anywhere, that is as invasive as our beloved.

Message 764 of 6,171
latest reply

I can not see how GSP makes imports from the US to Canada any easier or more efficient.  The postal carrier brings the package to the door and collects the tax or becomes to the door and gives you the package.  No mess - no bother.  Canadian Customs does not appear very interested in package up to $200.  I am more comfortable with Customs decision than with GSP dictums.

Message 765 of 6,171
latest reply

@tango69 wrote:

The shipping is not so much the issue as is the ebay/pitney bowes consortium dictating what our import costs should be.  I see GSP becoming mandatory within the next year or so and then to be followed by the ebay/pitney bowes consortiums removal of all identifying info.  We will not know to whom we sold the goods and neither will the buyer know from whom the merchandise was purchased.  Packages will opened and searched.  Am I trust those louts to effectively repack glass lab that I have carefully packed?  I do not believe that there is a Customs, anywhere, that is as invasive as our beloved.

This is speculation and very hard to swallow...I really doubt this would ever happen.

Message 766 of 6,171
latest reply

@tango69 wrote:

The shipping is not so much the issue as is the ebay/pitney bowes consortium dictating what our import costs should be.

Generally speaking, the bulk of the import charges levied by the Global Shipping Program are what would be charged in GST/PST/HST and duties, if applicable.  That's "dictated" by provincial and federal governments, not the shipper.  All "casual" imports sent in the mail or by commercial carrier with declared values of over C$20 are subject to taxes and duties.  Some "casual" imports don't even have this twenty buck threshold.

If you've been receiving items in the mail with declared values of over C$20 that haven't had taxes/duties charged on them, that's because of your good fortune, not because someone "dictated" that they weren't subject to additional charges.

Message 767 of 6,171
latest reply

I will no longer use the Global Shipping Program.  The reason for this is the use of CanPar rather than Canada Post as a local delivery agent.   I missed a delivery on Friday afternoon, and no card was left, and no second delivery attempt was made (contrary to what CanPar says they do on their own site).  It is now sitting in a terminal in an industrial area many miles away, and I will have to pick it up myself.   I am a disabled senior who is reliant on public transit, and getting this heavy item home via two buses and a subway will not be easy, particularly if it is icy.  That's providing they even let me have it in the first place as I don't have a pick up card thanks to the driver not doing his job properly.  In future I will be sticking to sellers who ship via the regular postal system, as if I miss a Canada Post delivery, then I only have a block to go to pick it up.  

I was not dissatisfied with the shipping cost of this GSP item, as it did work out cheaper for this heavy item.  It is solely the use of CanPar which I am not happy about.  It would have been much more convenient if they had used UPS or FedEx if they had to use a courier, as at least they have much closer pick up options.  My item was not subject to duty, and I'm not even protesting (well, not much anyways) at having to pay the GST.

There is no point in shopping on-line if I have to travel long distances to pick up my item.  If I have to go out to get it, I may as well give my patronage to the local stores. 

Message 768 of 6,171
latest reply

US sellers: if it has the charge, it's usually ridiculous, so I don't bid.

sellers & ebay: you are losing sales!!!

tell ebay & make the change back to more economical/feasible amounts.

We are speaking with our $ since you listen to that cha-ching much more easily & effectively.

Thanks for supporting our Canadian & global economies instead by utilizing this mandatory program!

Message 769 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@tango69 wrote:

The shipping is not so much the issue as is the ebay/pitney bowes consortium dictating what our import costs should be.

Generally speaking, the bulk of the import charges levied by the Global Shipping Program are what would be charged in GST/PST/HST and duties, if applicable.  That's "dictated" by provincial and federal governments, not the shipper.  All "casual" imports sent in the mail or by commercial carrier with declared values of over C$20 are subject to taxes and duties.  Some "casual" imports don't even have this twenty buck threshold.

If you've been receiving items in the mail with declared values of over C$20 that haven't had taxes/duties charged on them, that's because of your good fortune, not because someone "dictated" that they weren't subject to additional charges.

I guess i have had alot of good fortune over the years...

Message 770 of 6,171
latest reply

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/html/02/ch97-eng.html

Whether or not this section applies to the OP's art depends on the context criteria.

The entire Tariff Schedule can be found here http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/html/tblmod-04-eng.html

Message 771 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

I guess i have had alot of good fortune over the years...

Yes, yes you have.  😉

When my wife and I started buying items from the United States through eBay around 1999, I'd say that about two-thirds to three-quarters of our purchases with declared values of over C$20 were assessed and charged GST and PST plus Canada Post's handling charge (which was more reasonable back then than the current C$9.95).  Around 2006 that proportion decreased dramatically, and now I'd say the last time I had to pay taxes on a "casual" import was about four years ago.

The official government line on taxes on postal imports can be found here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 772 of 6,171
latest reply

Can't put it anymore succintly than this: I refuse to bid on items that use it.  

Message 773 of 6,171
latest reply

Refuse to buy anything using the GSP.

Message 774 of 6,171
latest reply

synv
Community Member
I refuse to buy items via the Global Shipping Program. I want to know upfront what the shipping costs will be, and not have to find out after I've committed to buy something that the total may not be what I anticipated. I also cannot support the unecessary ecological impact of shipping an item twice just so an intermediary can take its cut. EBay's lack of transparency in the matter does not inspire confidence, either.
Message 775 of 6,171
latest reply

Back to my favourite subject lately, GSP.

I noticed a post this morning from a buyer:

"...Sometimes I am asked to pay GST & PST, often not, and it is super simple. I either pay at the post office or I pay upon delivery.  Brokerage fees have always been quite reasonable, from all transport companies. I have no problem paying the legal taxes, duties on items. But Global Shipping import and brokerage fees are OUTRAGEOUS (over 30% of the purchase price)."

Now, this is not something unique as you have certainly read hundreds of similar posts, here and on eBay.com boards.

We know that the rate of duty (if applicable) and consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) should be exactly the same if the charges are calculated by Pitney-Bowes and paid through PayPal at time of purchase or calculated by Canada Customs and paid at the Post Office or mail carrier at time of delivery.

The fee charged by Pitney-Bowes is also generally lower ($4/$5) than the fee charged by Canada Post (always $9.95) for most transactions under $100.

Yet, the perception among Canadian eBay buyers is that they are paying much more - as seen in the message quoted above - when the goods come through GSP. Hundreds, maybe thousands of Canadian eBay buyers feel the same way.

What can eBay.ca and eBay.com do to correct this misperception?

An easy partial solution has been proposed over a year ago: show the details of the so called "import charge" in the listing and the PayPal payment: how much for GST/HST/PST, what percentage rate was used for tax calculation (it varies by province),  how much and what percentage was used if duty was charged and applicable tariff number and how much was charged by Pitney-Bowes for their fees.

Your system already has that information - that is how you total it up and show it in the listings and again through PayPal at time of payment. My (repeated) question is: why not show ALL the information, clearly and openly for all to see, in the listing and on the payment?

Do you not realize that eBay would gain from that openness and candour?

Message 776 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Back to my favourite subject lately, GSP.

I noticed a post this morning from a buyer:

"...Sometimes I am asked to pay GST & PST, often not, and it is super simple. I either pay at the post office or I pay upon delivery.  Brokerage fees have always been quite reasonable, from all transport companies. I have no problem paying the legal taxes, duties on items. But Global Shipping import and brokerage fees are OUTRAGEOUS (over 30% of the purchase price)."

Now, this is not something unique as you have certainly read hundreds of similar posts, here and on eBay.com boards.

We know that the rate of duty (if applicable) and consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) should be exactly the same if the charges are calculated by Pitney-Bowes and paid through PayPal at time of purchase or calculated by Canada Customs and paid at the Post Office or mail carrier at time of delivery.

The fee charged by Pitney-Bowes is also generally lower ($4/$5) than the fee charged by Canada Post (always $9.95) for most transactions under $100.

Yet, the perception among Canadian eBay buyers is that they are paying much more - as seen in the message quoted above - when the goods come through GSP. Hundreds, maybe thousands of Canadian eBay buyers feel the same way.

What can eBay.ca and eBay.com do to correct this misperception?

An easy partial solution has been proposed over a year ago: show the details of the so called "import charge" in the listing and the PayPal payment: how much for GST/HST/PST, what percentage rate was used for tax calculation (it varies by province),  how much and what percentage was used if duty was charged and applicable tariff number and how much was charged by Pitney-Bowes for their fees.

Your system already has that information - that is how you total it up and show it in the listings and again through PayPal at time of payment. My (repeated) question is: why not show ALL the information, clearly and openly for all to see, in the listing and on the payment?

Do you not realize that eBay would gain from that openness and candour?

Hi pierrelebel,

Great suggestion - I'll post it on the appropriate GSP thread so Ben & team can take note of it.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 777 of 6,171
latest reply

I have purchased two items from two sellers, both using the Global Shipping Program. I paid taxes and customs on both items is addition to the shipping fee.

Both packages arrived the same day.  The delivery man handled the very carefully - I thought someone was sending me "live cargo".  I signed for both packages and the gingerly took them from the delivery man.  I set them on the kitchen table and noticed one rattled badly and the other box was actually open.

The rattling package had eleven pieces loose in the box.   There was a note from eBay "NOTICE OF PARCEL CHECK" in each box.  The notes were identical, YOUR PARCEL WAS CHECKED AND RESEALED BECAUSE -

*** THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OR NUMBER OF ITEMS HAD TO BE VERIFIED TO COMPLETE CUSTOMS FORM; OR

*** CUSTOMS OR TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICIALS VIEWED THE PARCEL.

Excuse me eBay, Canada Customs would NEVER treat a package like this.  Checked parceled are meticulously re-packed.

I reported the condition of the boxes to the sellers.  One said he had decided to opt out of the program because of complains from customers. The other seller told me she had been PAID by eBay to bring her parcels to a local airport where eBay would do the shipping.  She was rather disturbed when I told her it was a very good thing I had put towels on the floor when I turned the box over as my menorah fell out.  There was bubble wrap in the box but not secured around the menorah.

Every day, there seems to be another change, a "rumor" circulating. and on and on it goes.

What can be done?  Many many thanks to those you take the time too response.  It is sincerely appreciated.

elly2mbk

Elisheva 

It would appear eBay is making yet another chunk of change.

Message 778 of 6,171
latest reply

I am wanting to bid on this item. But would you consider not shipping through the Global Shipping Program and shipping direct with USPS instead?

Global Shipping Program is a rip off for me in Canada. It charges me for 1st rate almost over night shipping while it delivers the item 3 - 4 weeks later; if and when it does not send my item to another buyer etc...

It even automatically charges me for import charges which do not exist between Canada and US with free trade and also these being used parts....

It ridiculous that I pay that much for shipping this part when I got a complete set of exhaust delivered for less than $20 and you are shipping me a gasket that fits in a birthday card envelope for $30!!!

It would be much cheaper and faster if you invoiced me for different shipping using USPS international priority or first class.

Let me know

Cheers

Marc

The answer is always: no I cannot change out of the global shipping program and invoice you!!!

That suck!!

Message 779 of 6,171
latest reply

I know I just wrote at length about receiving two items shipped under the GSP BUT . . . 

From  my follow-up with both sellers, one seller had already decided he was out of the program due to damage to porcelain going to Europe.

When I told the other seller, she  cried .  .  .  I assured her it was not her fault . . . . she was told to drop her package off at the airport.  How was she to know that her lovingly wrapped parcel would be pulled apart and the menorah dropped in a flattened box with a piece of bubble wrap dropped on top of it..  After that treatment do you think they would have bothered to tape it shut - NO! - they matched the top of the box to the bottom - which was already partially opened..

SELLERS:  Don't get involved!  BUYERS:  Don't buy anything on this program and let the seller know why!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!   

Elisheva (elly2mbk)

Message 780 of 6,171
latest reply