Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

The New IMPORT CHARGE TO CANADA???

The point that Pierre and marnotom! fail to see for some reason, is GSP is making buyer take another step in asking seller if they will not use it.. When you email it doesnt mean your going to get an answer at that moment , it may be hours or days, and a good buy on a BIN item will likely be gone, why is that so hard to figure out...
Message 1681 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:
The point that Pierre and marnotom! fail to see for some reason, is GSP is making buyer take another step in asking seller if they will not use it.. When you email it doesnt mean your going to get an answer at that moment , it may be hours or days, and a good buy on a BIN item will likely be gone, why is that so hard to figure out...

I don't see this as a GSP issue.  Honestly.  As I said earlier, you could have this problem if you found on the .com site a desirable item that the seller only offered shipping within the United States.  You could have this problem if you found an item that had Express shipping on it.  It could be "gone" after you emailed the seller and they got back to you saying that they'd be fine with sending it to Canada by First Class International.

In my years on eBay, I've never run into posts that state that "U.S. only shipping" or "Express shipping" makes buying more difficult on eBay.

It's the sellers' choices that cause the difficulties, not the shipping methods (or lack thereof) in themselves.

Message 1682 of 6,171
latest reply

marmotom!;  That's the problem.

By your own admission, you don't understand the issues and yet you are advising people with more experience than you have who understand the issues very well.

Message 1683 of 6,171
latest reply

The issue I don't understand is why a buyer would continue to beat her head against a brick wall and try to deal with GSP sellers who--in her words--are often like a 12-year old.

As I've said before, the GSP doesn't transform poor sellers into brilliant ones.  Sellers using the GSP inappropriately haven't done their homework and may not be even aware that they're in the program.  They may think that they're still offering shipping to the United States only.

My experience in dealing with "Ships to: United States" sellers has largely been more hassle than it's worth and so I don't try dealing with them anymore.  To me, many GSP sellers are just "Ships to: United States" sellers in disguise and, thus, not worth my time.

If your experience is different, more power to you, but you seem to alternately post that the GSP somehow makes things "difficult", the sellers are happy to ship directly to Canada, and that the sellers are frustrating to deal with.  If you don't understand my confusion arising from these mixed messages, so be it.

Message 1684 of 6,171
latest reply

I understand what *I'm still here* is saying .... 

For starters, a lot of sellers don't know they are enrolled in the GSP.

I saw a thread posted about a week ago on the international trading forum where a long time, very knowledgeable antiques dealer who has been selling on Ebay for over a decade had been opted into the the GSP, unbeknownst to her.

So to say that all GSP sellers are "poor sellers" is not necessarily true.

....that is what is so bizarre about this program. 

The very foundation of the GSP is built on quicksand, and is about as transparent as lead. 

So,, for someone like *I'm still here*  who is buying actively daily,  he/she will be dealing with all sorts of sellers, ranging from the incompetent to the very competent. 

Now onto the issue of simply ignoring  GSP listings.

Why would *I'm still here* throw out the baby with the bath water? Statistically there is a chance that sellers might be only too willing to ship via alternate methods ...esp. if they are not even aware they are enrolled in this program!

The whole thing is a colossal mess. I can see how it would be a huge time waster ... and awfully frustrating.

Message 1685 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

The issue I don't understand is why a buyer would continue to beat her head against a brick wall and try to deal with GSP sellers who--in her words--are often like a 12-year old.

As I've said before, the GSP doesn't transform poor sellers into brilliant ones.  Sellers using the GSP inappropriately haven't done their homework and may not be even aware that they're in the program.  They may think that they're still offering shipping to the United States only.

My experience in dealing with "Ships to: United States" sellers has largely been more hassle than it's worth and so I don't try dealing with them anymore.  To me, many GSP sellers are just "Ships to: United States" sellers in disguise and, thus, not worth my time.

If your experience is different, more power to you, but you seem to alternately post that the GSP somehow makes things "difficult", the sellers are happy to ship directly to Canada, and that the sellers are frustrating to deal with.  If you don't understand my confusion arising from these mixed messages, so be it.

you and  Pierre , keep trying to read between the lines of posters here and therefore fail to see what is right in front of you..

you got that saying .........sellers are like 12 yr olds stuck in your head, for some reason...it all adds up to the pair of you SEEM to have very little experience as a buyer on ebay, buying from US sellers , or you would not be asking such silly questions. 

if you don't think the GSP doesn't make it harder to buy from US sellers then , again your inexperience shows.

Message 1686 of 6,171
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The average IQ is 100, which means that half the population is below that.

Keep this in mind. It explains a lot.

That hit it right on.

EBay sellers are all over the board in terms of personally characteristics and abilities.

Some days when I'm walking yet another seller through the GSP I'd swear I'm dealing wit a 12 year old.

The posts above are where the comment about dealing with some sellers is like dealing with 12 year olds came from.

Please stop taking it out of context.

I was responding to femme's observation.

It's true:  Sellers are all over the board in abilities, as is the general population.

Message 1687 of 6,171
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

I understand what *I'm still here* is saying .... 

For starters, a lot of sellers don't know they are enrolled in the GSP.

I saw a thread posted about a week ago on the international trading forum where a long time, very knowledgeable antiques dealer who has been selling on Ebay for over a decade had been opted into the the GSP, unbeknownst to her.

So to say that all GSP sellers are "poor sellers" is not necessarily true.

....that is what is so bizarre about this program. 

The very foundation of the GSP is built on quicksand, and is about as transparent as lead. 

So,, for someone like *I'm still here*  who is buying actively daily,  he/she will be dealing with all sorts of sellers, ranging from the incompetent to the very competent. 

Now onto the issue of simply ignoring  GSP listings.

Why would *I'm still here* throw out the baby with the bath water? Statistically there is a chance that sellers might be only too willing to ship via alternate methods ...esp. if they are not even aware they are enrolled in this program!

The whole thing is a colossal mess. I can see how it would be a huge time waster ... and awfully frustrating.

I have also seen GSP auctions , that at the end of the sellers description , they will type... USA SHIPPING ONLY..

No doubt they dont know they have GSP, and may even be hidden from them

Message 1688 of 6,171
latest reply

The GSP is like nothing we have ever seen before.. unexplored territory ... where the seller is possibly completely unaware that they are signed up for an international shipping program,  and the info they are blithely inputting is going to have a huge impact on various costs seen by international  buyers. 

Crazy huh .. ? 

This is a huge problem.  Every GSP  listing is rife with possibility ... is the seller aware that this is a GSP listing? ..is the seller willing to ship conventionally? 

I take my hat off to buyers like *I'm still here* for plugging away at this day in and day out. I would surely need some strong meds to do that! LOL.gif

Message 1689 of 6,171
latest reply

i agree, i would have to really want,or need the item in order to email a seller asking to ship USPS , or use GSP..., so far i have not had to, as i am not buying much from the USA anymore.

Message 1690 of 6,171
latest reply

piercebaum
Community Member

This is quite possibly the worst program I've come across. I don't see any upside to them, for buyers or sellers. For buyers, it makes transactions much more expensive, and for sellers it takes away potential customers. I've erroneously made two purchases from sellers who use the GSP, and it almost doubled the cost of my purchase due to "import fees"... the items? A t-shirt and a cheap pair of shoes. Now I only have two options, to forever sift through pages and pages of sellers to find someone that doesn't use this garbage GSP, or simply cancel my account and look for an auction site that is more equitable for consumers. 

I honestly could care less if this has been said before, but I'm just hoping my comments will add to the seemingly large outcry to get rid of this ridiculous program. 

Message 1691 of 6,171
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

I take my hat off to buyers like *I'm still here* for plugging away at this day in and day out. I would surely need some strong meds to do that! 

That's why I keep emphasizing that it's my job.

There are worse jobs, and I love mine but the GSP makes buying more difficult than necessary.

It's all in a day's work and sellers will remove it when asked.

The bonus is that items listed via the GSP sell for considerably less, and that's getting more pronounced all the time.

Message 1692 of 6,171
latest reply

What a load of **bleep**,I have never paid import charges,tax or duty yes but its rare.As a canadian when I want to bid on something I first contact the seller to ask them to dump this third party shiping thing,most of them have no idea what or how its going to efect their buisness on line.After I explain it to them they will dump it and I will bid.The whole thing is there to line pockets, I do not want to mention names.So all you sellers out there you dont have to use this system.Opt out of it your loosing buisness,no Canadadians are going to shop..hipin is mental as it is

Message 1693 of 6,171
latest reply

Im not finished yet   I wanted to bid on a Idem

was around 500 bucks

Shipping is 25.00   Bucks

Import charge is 119.00   ??????????????????????  Hello E-BAY

Message 1694 of 6,171
latest reply

The import charge has stopped me from bidding on USA based items a number of times. I have won bids only to find out the import charges were equal to more then the bid. I learned my lesson. The charges are unnecessary for low value items. I would suspect many sellers are loosing Canadian business.

Message 1695 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

The GSP is a symptom, not the sole problem, the GSP is in fact a gross overcomplication that makes for increased confusion, etc. One should not have to quit their job to spend enough time to understand how eBay works. Thing is with how eBay is constantly "improving" it's practically a full time job in itself to keep up with eBay.

This is what I keep saying, eBay's employees are full time, they're constantly submerged (and getting paid for it) into eBay culture and so forth — and is likely why they see nothing wrong with the current approaches. HOWEVER, most people (both buyers and sellers) do in fact have lives outside of eBay and simply want to use a simple, economical means to sell their stuff with the minimal hassle, they should not have to spend the equivelent of a full time job reading FAQs, forums and whatnot. If eBay was doing their job, they'd provide a bare bones mechanism for handling the transaction between buyer and seller under the seller's terms (with basic mediation if the buyer didn't get an item and/or in the expected condition) and that's it. There would be no GSP.

I don't want to spend hours upon hours trying to weed through GSP entries, they're becoming just as annoying as those foreign listings where you have 1 out of every 4-5 entries the same thing as a page ago from the same sellers. Notice here how these two items compound each other and makes things even more complicated. There is no way to tell eBay's website software to exclude these entries, causing complications.

Again, eBay should be a basic platform between buyers and sellers with basic mediation in the event of an incident. It should not be a shipping company, it should not be a customs power of attorney, it should not be a package processor it should not be anything of that sort. Regardless if it's a contractor or not doing these activities, eBay themselves are facilitating it.

There's an old saying: Do one thing and do it well. — eBay has failed to do that, instead it wants to branch out and get tendrills deep into every aspect of the purchase. I wonder how long until eBay begins operating their own product warehouses to compete with Amazon and makes it harder for sellers to compete because eBay will get to use their own GSP mechanisms for a reduced rate that no seller could.

Again. Do one thing and do it well.

Message 1696 of 6,171
latest reply

Very well said.

It's refreshing to read an intelligent and well thought out point of view.

Message 1697 of 6,171
latest reply

@kxeron wrote:
There's an old saying: Do one thing and do it well. — eBay has failed to do that, instead it wants to branch out and get tendrills deep into every aspect of the purchase. I wonder how long until eBay begins operating their own product warehouses to compete with Amazon and makes it harder for sellers to compete because eBay will get to use their own GSP mechanisms for a reduced rate that no seller could.

Again. Do one thing and do it well.

Problem is, this is competing with the maxim that goes something along the lines of, "Once you go public, your duty is to your shareholders and to see that they get a return on their investment."  And the only way to keep the shareholders happy is to keep that return high and possibly even higher each fiscal year.  Hence, the attempt to broaden the eBay.com marketplace with initiatives such as the Global Shipping Program.  More sales means more money in eBay's pockets.

It also gives Pitney Bowes another reason to exist and attempt to maintain profitability, seeing as its traditional business of selling postage is going down the tubes.

Given that Amazon's profitability in the traditional sense has been questionable for some time, I doubt that eBay is still in a rush to come up with its own version of a lot of Amazon's services and offerings.  I think it's quietly accepting that both sites offer quite a different experience for buyers and sellers and they're finally adhering to the maxim that says something along the lines of "Copying your competitor is a great way to put both of you out of business."

Message 1698 of 6,171
latest reply

llaen
Community Member

I had something shipped to me via GSP for the first time last week and I'm already disliking it.

The tracking information is more or less pointless. For example, this is the last update I have from 2 business days ago:

In Transit-Shipment Acceptance at Post Office

Jan-30-14, 19:22 PM

Which post office?

Ugh. Useless. Origin? There already were a few origin entries about package registration and what not days prior to this. Who knows.

Message 1699 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi llaen. 

First off, sorry to hear you are feeling frustrated with the program. Tracking of items is something we are focusing on with Pitney Bowes, as we have fielded multiple complaints about a lack of specificity. Last I heard Pitney Bowes had agreed to make an effort to provide "additional events" (as they call them) to the tracking of an item. 

I know from personal experience that it can sometimes take several days for an item to get to my door even after it reaches a local post office or distribution center. So it sounds to me like you could still be in ok shape. 

I also know that this is likely not much comfort. If your item has still not arrived in the next day or two please feel free to send me a Private Message and include the item #, transaction #, eBay user id, and email address used in the transaction. That way I can look into it from this end. 

Hope this helps. 

---Bennett. 

Message 1700 of 6,171
latest reply