Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

I disagree with Us needing US more ... We might need them for cheap cars and trinkets but that turns the word need into want ... Canada is very rich in land and the US is very rich on buildings...

Our forestry,mining sectors produce more then enough for us to not need th US we have one of the worlds larget fresh water deposits...

Canada Want the US stuff but we don't need the US for nothing but the there muscle

Message 3201 of 6,171
latest reply

Here is the thing I love about this ... Canada is a small piece of the pie but still millions of dollars a year ... Ebay will wake up or send of all to ebid,amazon,bonanza,and local brick and motor...

From a buyers point of view I could care less but from a sellers point of view I hate it because those people who buy 10 things from the US and 1 from Canada well I might be that 1 from Canada but now the buyers are not even coming on ebay ....

I get the ins and out and rules but lets face facts we have all gotten many things acros the border without imports and taxes and I think that is most buyers issue here ...

Should they have been charged imports and taxes yes but were they noooooooooo and as the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it ..

I actually find most of what I want from US sellers on Amazon now which is wierd because before GSP I don't think i ever bought anything from Amazon ...

Find I am doing alot of brick and mortor sale shopping now too ...

I can't be bothered anymore ...

Yesterday I want to buy 70 hinges for my kitchen I have stripped and stained ... $4 hinge $20 shipping Asked seller to remove GSP and give me decent shipping cost and I will buy all his hinges which for him would have been $332 sale at like $4 and change a piece ... No response .. Moved on and found a small local outlet and bought them all there for $5 a piece but the GSP programs wanted to charge me $1400 for shipping 70 hinges...

I checked shipping changed Qauntity to 70 and the shipping went to $1400

Can someone justify that one for me ..... I can ship a 50lb box 20x20x16 for $100 to the US with tracking and Insurance...

I think it is only a matter of time because it seems like not only are people not buying from US sellers but people are leaving ebay altogether because of this program

I am on here 10 times a day because I am a seller but If I was not This is what I would do ...

Buy elsewhere and never look back ,,,, after 10,000 posts nothing is changing to support ebay aka pitney bowes as much as they support you big fat 00000000000000000000000000000000000   

Message 3202 of 6,171
latest reply

@brandeentertainment wrote:
I checked shipping changed Qauntity to 70 and the shipping went to $1400.

Can someone justify that one for me ..... I can ship a 50lb box 20x20x16 for $100 to the US with tracking and Insurance...

Yet another example of Ebay / PB picking your pockets. Shame on them. Trouble is that some informed members will be able to quickly judge, draw conclusions and act accordingly while thousands of new, inexperienced, ill-informed and unsuspecting users will pay in good faith exorbitant fees to Ebay/PB learn the hard way. I'm really disgusted by the sleazy way this so called "program" was implemented.

Message 3203 of 6,171
latest reply

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program? Nothing about this is useful for me.
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers? Please get rid of it or at least provide the option to opt out.
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program? $$$$$$. I used to get many items through regular post without additional charges.
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program? Yes, but it is a pain. For the most part eBay has become a 2nd or 3rd choice when deciding to purchase items. No longer do I 'always check eBay'.

Please get rid of this program, it has cost eBay a lot!

Message 3204 of 6,171
latest reply

It's not a justification but...

The GSP programmers apparently did not realize that customers will buy multiple items from a single seller. So they did not allow sellers the opportunity to combine and discount shipping cost. Fault- PitneyBowes and their eBay advisors.

Brandee's seller had $4 items listed with GSP although eBay tells sellers not to use it for items under $50. Fault- seller for using it incorrectly and eBay for not adding a simple warning that the value of the item is too low before it is posted.

Message 3205 of 6,171
latest reply

@proxyx99 wrote:

Breaking news:

Target Canada CEO got fired. 1 billion in losses. High prices, empty stores.

Haha, this is how it usually ends. Reminds you of something?

Some Sears stores may not be around much longer, too, but I now have 3 Walmart stores within 5 miles of me, 2 built within the last 3 years.

Message 3206 of 6,171
latest reply

global shipping program is a ripoff for canadian buyers... especially sports card collectors... no way am i paying over US $20 to ship a single card... that's gouging... i just gave my 2 cents to a US seller about the program and he immediately changed his shipping options... he was not aware of all the negative hype surrounding the program... i don't  think ebay cares either as long as it generates revenue for ebay.... i loved the ebay bucks program but ebay cancelled it without asking for our comments... if it doesn't make money it gets axed.... this thread is a joke

Message 3207 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't blame the ebay bucks things for getting axed ... I as  a business would quickly axe anything not making me money .....

This program is just very flawed ... i do not mind paying imports but the program needs to be fixed...

I would gladly pay import upfront and yada yada but they need to fix it all or get rid of it ...

They are ripping people off but if they fixed things it would be simple and not a rip off ... To pay imports is not something that happened often without this program but it is something that should of been happening so paying them upfront does not bother me too much but this whole shipping thing is just RETARDED and the import fees are not caculated properly either ...

I hope this hurts ebays bottom line this year or it will simply be around forever and if so I hope they fix it ...

Message 3208 of 6,171
latest reply

@brandeentertainment wrote:

They are ripping people off but if they fixed things it would be simple and not a rip off ... To pay imports is not something that happened often without this program but it is something that should of been happening so paying them upfront does not bother me too much but this whole shipping thing is just RETARDED and the import fees are not caculated properly either ...

While there are a few sub-categories where taxes as well as duties are improperly charged, most of the listings I've seen where shipping and import charges are improperly calculated are a result of sellers not following the program rules and giving the GSP bot no package weights to work with and not stating the item's country of manufacture/origin in the Item Specifics section (although there now seems to be problems even when this is mentioned).

This is likely due to the fact that some if not many sellers using the GSP are unaware or don't give a fig that they're doing so.

Message 3209 of 6,171
latest reply

This is likely due to the fact that some if not many sellers using the GSP are unaware or don't give a fig that they're doing so.

Obviously ebay doesn't give a fig either or they would force the listings to be set up with the needed information and set the program up to accept combined shipping.

Message 3210 of 6,171
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Obviously ebay doesn't give a fig either or they would force the listings to be set up with the needed information and set the program up to accept combined shipping.

I don't doubt Bennett's claim that our concerns about the GSP are being taken on board and that process is glacial.  I mean, look how long it's taking Target Canada to get its act together.  (That story is interesting reading on corporate culture, by the way.)

We're used to online companies being lean and mean enough to turn on a dime.  Pitney Bowes isn't an online company, and I don't get the sense it's a leanly-run one.

Message 3211 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't doubt Bennett's claim that our concerns about the GSP are being taken on board and that process is glacial.  I mean, look how long it's taking Target Canada to get its act together.  (That story is interesting reading on corporate culture, by the way.)

We're used to online companies being lean and mean enough to turn on a dime.  Pitney Bowes isn't an online company, and I don't get the sense it's a leanly-run one.

I agree with you about Bennett, I think his desire to help is genuine.

PB may not be an online company, but PB doesn't set the listings. Ebay does, and it's eBay, not PB, which could make those fields mandatory on the listing form. So far they haven't, which leads me to believe that Pjcdn may be right: they just don't care.

(Edited for typos)

Message 3212 of 6,171
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

PB may not be an online company, but PB doesn't set the listings. Ebay does, and it's eBay, not PB, which could make those fields mandatory on the listing form. So far they haven't, which leads me to believe that Pjcdn may be right: they just don't care.

And eBay is also notorious for coding glitches.  Remember that Arlene_V recently found that the new "country of origin/manufacture" indication in the Item Specifics section didn't appear to be getting transmitted and NAFTA items now seem to be getting slugged with duty?

I suspect that one of the big issues with the GSP is trying to get eBay's IT system to communicate with Pitney Bowes'.

Message 3213 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I suspect that one of the big issues with the GSP is trying to get eBay's IT system to communicate with Pitney Bowes'.

Isn't that something they should have ironed out before going live???

Message 3214 of 6,171
latest reply

Isn't that something they should have ironed out before going live???

You would think so but then you would think that before going live they would have set it up to show the import fees on the Canadian site, not just on .com. But then that just took a few months, not over a year.

Message 3215 of 6,171
latest reply

This is a scam to get more money. Canadian Border Service collect taxes/duties not some company that then charges for the 'service'. Shameful money grab.
Message 3216 of 6,171
latest reply

It is a SCAM to collect a fee for applying duty when it is Canadian Border Services job to do that. It is just another money grab by ebay/paypal. Dirty company with dirty greedy practices.

Message 3217 of 6,171
latest reply

It's a money grab by greedy ebay. Canada Border Services collects the duty, not some dirty little company.

Message 3218 of 6,171
latest reply

It's a money grab by greedy ebay. Canada Border Services collects the duty, not some dirty little company.

The term 'money grab' is meaningless, a non 'greedy' company is called 'Bankrupt', the Canadian government actually collects substantially more money from GSP items, an PB is quite a large company, no more or less 'dirty' than most corporate entities.

I think the GSP is a pretty lame idea, badly designed and woefully badly implemented, but if any ebay people are reading this thread, rational objections and suggestions are bound to be more effective than a mob waving pichforks.

Message 3219 of 6,171
latest reply

levihk
Community Member

Unfortunately, I just bought a sink and the corners were dented. Overstock seems pretty genuine but now my case is in limbo. Does ebay pay me back? Do i have to ship the item back?

This sink is 50lb and I need it for my reno ASAP. 

Message 3220 of 6,171
latest reply