Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Complete ripoff and makes no sense.

"I don't care about reasons or explanations or fee breakdowns or anything else about GSP."

I was just answering the question you placed in your posting... "How are the fee's collected by Ebay transferred to the country the product is shipped to?"

Message 3961 of 6,171
latest reply

I have no idea why homo sapiens use this program...I was reporting sellers with exorbitant high shipping costs for years trying to protect buyers and keep future customers for you and I, and it turns out now I have to combat this new GSP.

E-bay...E-bay...E-bay...what have you done. All the bricks that were in place to make E-bay a fun and enjoyable place to ship/receive items is now a litany of obstacles that new buyers will have to navigate, but will unfortunately in the short term turn users away.

Most seasoned E-Bay-ers can navigate around these obstacles, but I'm more concerned about the newer users.

Kalvin also asked "Have you managed to search for items outside of the program?"

Really - You mean like the real world...? Yes I manage...thx for asking Kalvin...Now get rid of it

Message 3962 of 6,171
latest reply

This GSP system is a disaster as far as I am concerned.  I used to buy tons of stuff via ebay out of the states and as a reseller I could avoid paying PST and reclaim any GST paid.  In fact about 1/3 of the time customs didn't even touch my packages.  Now I don't buy anything sold through the GSP program.

Message 3963 of 6,171
latest reply

Well here you go..PP dispute opened!
Look at what PB did when they opened and retaped the box...ONE friggen strip of tape on the bottom for a 25lbs fragile Sony receiver...ONE!?!?
About 8" of it was holding it together.
The amp was bent, broken, and destroyed including one of the mainboards inside was totally shattered into pieces, some of which were sticking out of the front fascia and loose in the bag, scratching up the front.
It is destroyed...thank you ebay and PB for such a brilliant reliable **bleep** service, well done!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30E81AE50B5B3FEF!50929&authkey=!AHSse8-xrTrsVTs&ithint=folder%...
Message 3964 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello. I recently purchased boots and had them shipped to Canada from the US. As a buyer, I was frustrated primarily by the lack of ability to track the shipment once it left Erlanger KY. 'Multiple shippers' and a PB tracking number given on the ebay website gave no clue to where my shipment was going. The PB website does not have any way to enter the tracking number and find the shipment. I called PB (866-235-9627) and they told me the shipper and provided the tracking number. I'm OK with paying a bit more to get tracking, but it was a dead-end until I called PB. If ebay is going to use PB, they need to get that resolved.
Message 3965 of 6,171
latest reply

This new ebay Money Back Guarantee bit is terrifying for sellers...who decides this garbage!?

"Additionally, the claim deadline for PayPal Purchase Protection will be extended to 180 days, giving buyers more time to file a claim."

So a buyer can now have, own, use, etc an item for 6 months and then file a claim for a refund!?
Most items on ebay are used, what the heck are they thinking giving people this much time to change their minds?

I think I just need to boycott ebay all together, they are losing it.
Message 3966 of 6,171
latest reply

I doubt people are buying used items off ebay with the intent , to use it and then file a claim...people buy items because they want them..period.....

I did buy a few items off ebay that came to me not working...because of the seller not shipping damage., and in order to get a refund i had to ship the item back, at my expense.. how fair is that...

So no people are not going to use the system , and use the item and then send it back at there cost... doesn't make sense.

Message 3967 of 6,171
latest reply

Re: Refund of GSP fees in refund situation
in reply to afantiques

Well, here's the part where the eBay GSP Guy eats some crow ....

I will be posting this information in a bunch of Message Board threads today, as I have been providing information that is partially incorrect ....

This is in regards to GSP transactions where the Seller is at fault (or cases of "buyer's remorse), and the GSP fees (international shipping, import fees, etc.) need to be refunded to the Buyer.

Truth be told it never seemed right that the SELLER would be held responsible for this portion of the refund. So when members of the Community such as yourself started to ask “are you sure about that?” I decided to dig a little further.

Well lo and behold … as it turns out, it is the responsibility of eBay / Pitney Bowes. Which of course means eBay was in some cases providing partially incorrect information when asked about GSP refunds.

****So just to be clear, with GSP transactions: in cases where the SELLER is at fault (SNAD, etc.) AND cases of “buyer’s remorse” – the SELLER is responsible for refunding the purchase price and domestic shipping. And eBay / PB are responsible for refunding the GSP program fees (international shipping, import fees, etc.).

In the case of a RETURN, keep in mind that the GSP does not support returns. In GSP transactions returns have to be worked out between Buyer and Seller, as in a non-GSP transaction.

Once again, sorry for all the confusion. And thanks fto the community for the “are you sure?” nudging.

---Ben

This is a major one that Ben mentioned in another thread that I would appreciate a clear answer on.

So my 25 lbs Sony receiver arrived today looking like this:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30E81AE50B5B3FEF!50929&authkey=!AHSse8-xrTrsVTs&ithint=folder%...

Notice how it was opened from the bottom, not the top of the box, and then resealed with one piece of ebay tape which came 60% off during shipping from Pitney Bowes to CANPAR and then finally to me this afternoon at 4pm.

Notice how the box looks all soft and beaten up like it was tossed around and notice the lack of fragile stickers that Pitney SHOULD have added?

Now I have filed, via Paypal, a dispute and both the seller and I are totally confused as to how this is going to be handled once escalated to Payapl.

My biggest concern however, and has yet to be asked, is HOW does ebay or Paypal determine if it was the sellers fault or Pitney Bowes shipping that caused the damage on the item?

I mean Pitney opened it so surely that is 100% proof but who is to say PP or ebay decide "nah, it was the sellers fault that it arrived damaged due to poor packing" and deny the claim? 

I mean if Pitney is a shipping company and they open these parcels then they should know to open from the top and to contact the seller if poor packing is an issue and the item cannot be shipped. Then they could charge the seller a fee to repack and cover their own butts in cases like this, makes sense?

I had a Samsung tablet and keyboard arrive to me tossed in a empty box with NO padding at all.

The keyboard metal dock was bent and when I contacted the customer he advised me he wrapped everything in tons of bubble wrap and put popcorn foam around it and yet it was opened by Pitney and arrived to me without any padding at all, just loose flopping around in the box.

Something isn't right here.

Message 3968 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

I doubt people are buying used items off ebay with the intent , to use it and then file a claim...people buy items because they want them..period.....

I did buy a few items off ebay that came to me not working...because of the seller not shipping damage., and in order to get a refund i had to ship the item back, at my expense.. how fair is that...

So no people are not going to use the system , and use the item and then send it back at there cost... doesn't make sense.

Not true.

I sold a guitar to a guy who was happy with it and then 45 days later filed a claim as not as described after he had used and played it.

People abuse it and will, if allowed and 180 days is totally absurd.

If it were ebay personally selling new items then OK, it is a warranty and store guarantee as such but many of us selling used items and having the buyer be able to file a claim 6 months into owning it is ridiculous.

Message 3969 of 6,171
latest reply

Dear International Buyers/Canadians just like me.

DO NOT I Repeat do Not buy anything from the US with a Global Shipping program I JUST PAID 103US FOR SHIPPING, IMPORT CHARGES AND ANOTHER SHIPPING FEE for an item valued at 178...

What has changed was never like this I WILL NEVER BUY FROM US AGAIN CHEAPER IF DROVE TO THE BORDER.

Keep looking it will show up in Canada...............................

Item 178

Shipping 53

Import 13

Shipping Fee 37.78

In Canadian funds its even more!!

Who collects this that is criminal to the buyer.. Many people will just stop buying like me!

Scott

Message 3970 of 6,171
latest reply

No more buying from sellers with Global Shipping. 2 Parcels lost last month, and it is impossible to contact Ebay. When i try, i only get a list of questions with answers, and no contact Ebay button.

Your recourse is to make an Item not Received claim. There is no need contact ebay in any special way, just use the regular procedure for a lost item.

Message 3971 of 6,171
latest reply

Does anybody know , if GSP has been Confiscating Guitars , I have been hearing rumours they are doing this, and I wonder what is their reason. I have bought many, shipped USPS , and had no issues..

The problem is that some guitars use Rosewood in the construction, and this is a wood that is now restricted  under conservation rules. The shippers tend to be over cautious and assume the wood may be there even if it is not.

Neither buyer nor seller loses any money.

Message 3972 of 6,171
latest reply

How are the fees collected by Ebay transferred to the country the product is shipped to? If Ebay US collects IMPORT fees then they must be paying the country of entry. Can you please explain how this is done?

My guess is they do not pay anything and keep this fee.

Your guess is wrong; apart from a small brokerage fee that seems to be about $5, all the money prepaid by the buyer is used to pay charges on import. The money is paid over to the importing country's tax people when the customs manifest for the import consignment is checked and cleared inwards at the port of entry.

It is collected in advance because there would be no way of collecting it later.

Message 3973 of 6,171
latest reply

This marriage with Pitney Bowes must be making them a ton of money ...so money talks and they don't really care what people think about GSP.

Given the costs involved in this project it is improbable that any great profit is being made. It violates several criteria for a good business plan, principally in that the 'product' is both unpopular and it fulfills a market demand that is more imaginary than real.

Message 3974 of 6,171
latest reply

Now I have filed, via Paypal, a dispute and both the seller and I are totally confused as to how this is going to be handled once escalated to Paypal.

There is no need for confusion. The seller can simply forget about it (although his funds will be frozen for a short time) and you as the buyer will get a full refund and can discard the item.

An item that arrives damaged will always be considered the responsibility of the re-shipper, as in theory they do not forward damaged items.

The process for damaged GSP item claims is actually notably better than the basic ebay one  as there is no need for the buyer to spend money returning useless broken items. Or spend time arguing the toss with ebay sellers of varying ability.

It is important that buyers with GSP items that have even a trace of damage should start claims for damage in transit/not as described. The GSP has insurance, and there is no way they are going to improve the quality of the forwarding until the insurance company refuses any further cover.

Message 3975 of 6,171
latest reply

are you saying , he wanted a refund, because he felt there was a mistake in the description....of the guitar..

Message 3976 of 6,171
latest reply

Are you sure the problem is Rosewood...because 90 percent of guitars have a Rosewood fret board..

I disagree that there is no loss..the buyer lost the guitar he wanted and some of these can be very hard to find...

All my rare guitars came from the USA, and you never see them forsale in Canada.

Message 3977 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Does anybody know , if GSP has been Confiscating Guitars , I have been hearing rumours they are doing this, and I wonder what is their reason. I have bought many, shipped USPS , and had no issues..

The problem is that some guitars use Rosewood in the construction, and this is a wood that is now restricted  under conservation rules. The shippers tend to be over cautious and assume the wood may be there even if it is not.

Neither buyer nor seller loses any money.

Only Brazilian rosewood.

Issue is many guitars sold are old and use this wood as standard at a time when there was no moratorium on Braz rosewood.

Message 3978 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

are you saying , he wanted a refund, because he felt there was a mistake in the description....of the guitar..

No, he decided a month later that he didn't fancy it and tried to drum up some BS to legitimize a refund.

Message 3979 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Now I have filed, via Paypal, a dispute and both the seller and I are totally confused as to how this is going to be handled once escalated to Paypal.

There is no need for confusion. The seller can simply forget about it (although his funds will be frozen for a short time) and you as the buyer will get a full refund and can discard the item.

An item that arrives damaged will always be considered the responsibility of the re-shipper, as in theory they do not forward damaged items.

The process for damaged GSP item claims is actually notably better than the basic ebay one  as there is no need for the buyer to spend money returning useless broken items. Or spend time arguing the toss with ebay sellers of varying ability.

It is important that buyers with GSP items that have even a trace of damage should start claims for damage in transit/not as described. The GSP has insurance, and there is no way they are going to improve the quality of the forwarding until the insurance company refuses any further cover.

Ah OK, interesting.

So this is handled via PP or ebay and doesn't matter the route chosen for the claim?

ebay immediately referred me to PP to handle is so I suppose I didn't have a choice to begin with.

Message 3980 of 6,171
latest reply