Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Not really.

American buyers do not pay sales tax (GST or HST) at time of Customs clearance. 

On the contrary, many American buyers will love GSP from the UK as it will allow them to purchase British items not previously offered for shipment overseas. 

We simply cannot compare the situation of importing into Canada and importing into the USA.  Night and day.

The biggest complain we hear from Canadians is the fact they have to pay sales tax through GSP when they usually did not pay it when importing directly by mail.  That problem does not exist in the USA.

Message 4201 of 6,171
latest reply

So what I think you're saying is if an American buyer and myself are looking at the same item from the same U.K. G.S.P. seller I should expect to pay more?

That puts a lot of credence to simply buying from Canadian sellers only doesn't it.

Message 4202 of 6,171
latest reply

The issue for Canadians is not the tax at all. As a rule, we have no issue with paying the HST/GST tax.  It is a fact of life. It is the delays in shipping, the extra cost with no benefit what so ever and the zero accountability of Pitney Bowes who is making money with a service that is not needed at all.

Message 4203 of 6,171
latest reply

Please quote the posts so I know what you are referring to. Maybe this one?

(anglia51)"But my solution will get noticed quicker. You have to hit them where it will hurt the most in the pocket book."

I don't disagree with this logic in theory.

So by not buying from GSP sellers, I am doing basically the same thing - I'm isolating GSP sellers. And still having a shot at the items I want.

It's a win / win situation.

(anglia51)"I have other means to buy die cast mostly on social media. There are many groups that have buy sell trade groups that i can get what i'm looking for."

If that is working for you, that's great. Unfortunately, many of us don't have similar alternatives.

"you clearly have eBay running through your blood perhaps an employee I don't know nor do I care."

Well, you're wrong. I have made ~ 93 purchases of collectibles. And certainly do not work for ebay.

"You make these comments when you have no idea as to what your talking about. I have unsubscribed form these emails for the second time. I thought once would be enough but apparently not. It's a scam it only took me 11 years & about $50,000 later to figure that out."

What?

Message 4204 of 6,171
latest reply

"The issue for Canadians is not the tax at all. "

I strongly suggest you read the other 4,000+ posts on this thread.

While delay in shipping is an important factor, the most often mentioned problem is "duty and taxes", not usually charged when GSP is not used.

Message 4205 of 6,171
latest reply

I almost died laughing today. thanks to the GSP. Can you believe that there are a multitude of US sellers using this method to ship zippers? If ebay is going to opt sellers in without their knowledge, the least they could do is take a look at what they're selling first. 

Message 4206 of 6,171
latest reply

This may be a double-post as I don't see my reply from before but...

"You make these comments when you have no idea as to what your talking about."

Not sure what you are replying to as you did not quote anything. I believe it might be conversation we had about you saying people should stop buying on ebay totally, and I argue that avoiding GSP should suffice. We have a difference of opinion. Life goes on.

"I collect Hot Wheels the high end one $200.00 & $300.00 one the reason they are so expensive is that they are 1 of 1 1 of 5 so you don't get a second chance to buy another one 1 of 1. you clearly have eBay running through your blood perhaps an employee I don't know nor do I care. I have unsubscribed form these emails for the second time. I thought once would be enough but apparently not. It's a scam it only took me 11 years & about $50,000 later to figure that out."

What?

Have no idea what point you are trying to make, other than... you spend a lot of money on ebay.

Message 4207 of 6,171
latest reply

"...there are a multitude of US sellers using this method to ship zippers?"

Let me guess - the PB fee will be more than the cost of the zippers?

Message 4208 of 6,171
latest reply

Ohhh yeaaahhh Smiley LOL and then some!

Message 4209 of 6,171
latest reply

i have recently purchased a number of items and found that i can get all the same items that the us has from China.

I have no particular affinity for the products from the US and now that they have priced themselves out of the market and tripled delivery times you can bet i am no longer spending my money there.

I will only look at US merchants if the item i need for a computer repair is not available anywhere else.

I dont wish any ill will to the US but I refuse to support a cash grab like this and because most down south either look at canada as a small market not worth worring about my money goes further there. To be honest they are alot more polite as well.

So if you think you can survive all by yourself good luck and let the market decide if it is a good thing. You only have yorselves to blame as the powers that be in ebay obviously dont care about the buyers experience in Canada they just try to get us dumb canucks to drink the cool aid at what a great thing they are doing for their poor cousins.

As for the shipping delay goes I have to say I put the GSP on par with China post now as i Ordered 2 items one from USA and one from China and the China retailer arrived before the US Item. So you tell me is it a success let me know when one of your competitors takes all of your customers as my money will speak louder than anything else.

Message 4210 of 6,171
latest reply

can you give me a suggestion on how we are better off when on average I have to pay 8 bucks on shipping for an item that weighs 10 grams I paid 8.95 for the item and 7.85 to have the opportunity to use the GSP where before it would have come in an envelope for 50 cents. I know ebay wants us to buy in to this but now when i get something from the states i can almost count every time that I have to multiply the auction price by 2. As others have said dont get angry just vote for change with your wallet and refuse to purchase from those that didnt want our business in the first place. 

Message 4211 of 6,171
latest reply

I had to buy a DC power jack for a mackbook that cost 8.99 taken to 25 by the program and it also came to me in a mind splitting 4 weeks. That is the last one i buy as i have informed the seller which i had at one time spent 2 to 3 hundred a month with as I now have a person in China that doesnt charge me so much maybe 1 third the cost. I appologized to him but also told them they will get my business back when they drop the GSP.
Message 4212 of 6,171
latest reply

where is ebay. more than anything else their refusal to look at it or even comment tells me more and more what they think of canadian buyers
Message 4213 of 6,171
latest reply

"where is ebay. more than anything else their refusal to look at it or even comment tells me more and more what they think of canadian buyers "

Sorry, I do not understand the question.

Several years ago eBay started a program called "Global Shipping Services" (GSP) for the purpose of helping American sellers increase sales outside their country. It is beneficial to eBay since more sales by American sellers means more revenue for eBay through FVF and to PayPal to handle the transaction (including their 1.00% extra "cross border" fee.  eBay contracted Pitney Bowes to arrange consolidation and distribution of those transactions.  PB collects a fee for their services.

Al the end of the day the decision by eBay was simple: "we will offer a service beneficial to American sellers and the buyers - in Canada and across the globe - will pay for it.

Despite many problems, the program has been successful from eBay's perspective since there has been a very substantial and measurable increase in "cross border" trade (check their most recent publicly disclosed financial results for confirmation).

Now, that program (GSP) was not meant for American sellers offering low priced items (under $50).  Yet they do and the handling and additional shipping costs make most of those transactions prohibitive from a Canadian buyer's perspective.

As stated so many times on this and other threads by most posters, GSP should be avoided by most Canadian buyers for most transactions.  There is nothing eBay can add to that, is there?

Message 4214 of 6,171
latest reply

Global shipping program needs to provide means for an item to be tracked by both the seller AND the buyer.  I bought an item on EBay, I PAID for the shipping, I DESERVE and REQUIRE that I be able to have at least a rough idea where my package is.  Other companies that actually do shipping can and will provide the data....why should Ebay be exempt.

I'm pretty sure if challenged in Court it could be construed as a form of fraud to not allow a person to track their own packages once they are purchased. 

At the very least its a poor business practice as it means people are out items and/or money.  This time of year it means they are out Xmas presents and that makes it feel worse....now I REQUIRE from ebay  the tracking info on my item.  Could someone please provide it before I have to resort to a lawyer and suing someone.

Message 4215 of 6,171
latest reply

"I'm pretty sure if challenged in Court it could be construed as a form of fraud to not allow a person to track their own packages once they are purchased. "

"Could someone please provide it before I have to resort to a lawyer and suing someone."

All I can say is good luck with that!

eBay is a venue where sellers advertise their products and buyers make a decision to purchase based on conditions and terms of the site.  It is not that different from advertisements in your local newspaper, or radio station, or magazines or television.

If tracking is so important to you, find another venue that guarantees tracking will be provided to you.

On eBay, eBay and PayPal guarantee you will get the goods you purchased and paid for.  Obviously, that is not enough for you.

Suggesting to go to court and take legal action over the lack of tracking.... is not and will never be taken seriously.  There is no credibility in those statements.

Message 4216 of 6,171
latest reply

Having purchased some items from the US to be shipped to Canada using Global Shipping I am going to be avoiding sellers that use this program whenever possible. My experience has been terrible, not only are the "fees" collected ridiculous as applied to purchase under $100 that would never be bothered with by Canad Customs normally but the actual shipping costs seem far greater than simple USPS small package rates. In addition the product seems to go for a long vacation in Erlanger Kentucky before continuing some circuitous unknown route in to Canada. latest purchase which stuck me with this terrible "service" was shipped from Los Angeles which is due south, of me relaxes on the beach in Kentucky status "available for pick up".Another item, still not received, spent eleven days in the warmth of North Houston until I prompted the seller to follow up because I had already received a product from them ordered a week later. I warn sellers in advance, you will lose my business if I can find what I need, even at greater cost, from a seller willing to use the tried and true USPS/Canada post method. Seems to me that the "global" means sending it around the globe to let a third party make some money.

Message 4217 of 6,171
latest reply

If everyone who complained about the GSP here did iton the US seller boards, it might be noticed by at least a few people.

Moaning to other Canadians is preaching to the choir. US sellers won't be reading this.

Message 4218 of 6,171
latest reply

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

A) I cant say i have had  great experience as the times i did use it the turn around time has at least doubled and as a rule of thumb the price will also double

B) A detailed breakdown would help as it appears eBay is hiding something

C) Cost and turn around time in particular turn around as items from china now arrive around the same time as items from the US

D) I first look for the symbol eBay uses for it then I also ask the seller if they use e GSP if the answer is yes I thank them for their time explain why I wont buy from them based on my personal experiences and let them know if they offer other shipping methods I would buy from them.

In short I let my buying do my protesting as I have yet to see a good answer as to how this is good for me. 

I hope this helps

P.S I have found the Chinese companies are very happy to take my money where the majority of US sellers could care less.

Message 4219 of 6,171
latest reply

I will be placing a complaint against the seller and ebay with VISA if enough people complain about the seller and ebay they can and will restrict their ability to process online transactions.

I hope others follow my example. With enough complaints and sellers affected, ebay would be affected and be forced to make changes

Message 4220 of 6,171
latest reply