Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

"I will be placing a complaint against the seller and ebay with VISA"

Please stop the jokes.  First you are going to court over lack of tracking.  Now you go to VISA for what exactly?

Did you pay eBay?  NO

Did you pay the seller?  NO

Visa will ask you "Who did you pay with your credit card?"

You will answer "PayPal".

VISA will ask " Have you filed a complaint with PayPal for non-receipt as per their policy?"

Your answer: "No".

End of conversation.

Why don't you come off your soapbox and follow the same procedure followed by over one hundred million eBay members?  If you do not receive your purchase within 40 days or so, file a complaint with PayPal.  They will reimburse you.

Then delete eBay from your mind.  Just forget about it.  Obviously this venue is not for you.

Message 4221 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

On eBay, eBay and PayPal guarantee you will get the goods you purchased and paid for.  Obviously, that is not enough for you.

No they do not. Despite their "Buyer protection" mechanisms, eBay has it right in their terms that they are not responsible for losses as a result of using the site. Check the "Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability" section. Further, this same section effectively attempts to remove the user's rights to seek legal remedy through indemnification should a conflict arise.

eBay, Paypal, PB, etc guarantee nothing, and places the full and entire onus of the situation upon the consumer/buyer and merchant/seller. It is only if you satisfy eBay's processes do you get any kind of relief, those processes never place eBay or any affiliates or subsidaries at a disadvantage, nor do they ever admit failure as an organization should something go wrong. If your package gets lost by PB, they will not launch an investigation because you are not entitled to one in their opinion and that is enforced by the terms. The reimbursement PB remits is not an admission of fault either and is a refusal of service.

eBay's "Buyer protection guarantees" simply exist so that eBay can step in to avoid the site gaining a bad reputation for being full of fraudulent sellers which would hurt their PR reputation. This is further solidified that often times, VERY often consumers need to go to their credit card company to request a chargeback effectively against eBay.

Message 4222 of 6,171
latest reply

I believe in KISS

"The reimbursement PB remits is not an admission of fault either and is a refusal of service..."

You are overthinking it.  You do not get your package... you get your money back.  Who cares about "admission of fault".

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Most eBay sales go smoothly, but if there's a problem with a purchase, the eBay Money Back Guarantee assures that buyers receive the item they ordered, or get their money back.

At the end of the day it that that simple.  You follow the procedure, file your claim on time, get your money back.

Message 4223 of 6,171
latest reply

"I will be placing a complaint against the seller and ebay with VISA if enough people complain about the seller and ebay they can and will restrict their ability to process online transactions. I hope others follow my example. With enough complaints and sellers affected, ebay would be affected and be forced to make changes"

You are better off just avoiding any listings using the GSP program.

Your time must be worth more to you than trying to get into a court-case.

Message 4224 of 6,171
latest reply

"You are overthinking it.  You do not get your package... you get your money back.  Who cares about "admission of fault"."

I still have not used GSP yet (likely will never use...) but I was wondering...

Are there any situations where buyer will end up out of pocket due to an issue with GSP listing?

Damaged product?

Item not as Described?

Item not arriving at all?

If buyer needs to send back item (via tracked shipping) could they be out of pocket overall?  If so, the "buyer protection" is not really protection for the buyer.

Message 4225 of 6,171
latest reply

"but I was wondering.......  Are there any situations where buyer will end up out of pocket due to an issue with GSP listing?"

We can all ask hundreds of hypothetical questions.  We won't know all the answers.  Personally I think it is best to stick to factual cases. Buyers should rely on the eBay Money Back Guarantee Policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

From everything we have seen in the last two years since GSP was implemented, it appears that most claims correctly filed through PayPal on time have been solved with the buyer getting a full refund, including "import charges".

Of course there will be some claims that did not result in a full refund (GSP or not).  Often on these boards we only read one side of the story and it is easy to be sympathetic to the post writer who lost money buying on eBay.  Those losses should not happen.

Message 4226 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi guys!

It's my first time with the GSP.

I'm buying mostly from France, United Kingdom, Switzerland, and other European Countries. All the vendors just freaking put normal stamps on envelop and that's it! What the whole fuzz with duties! The only problematic border is the US border. I never had to pay any duties because I'm not buying for 400 bucks at the time. I can imagine those duties agents looking at & scanning my parcels in Mississauga: "hmm some DVDs" "Ok whatever!" and they let the parcel goes, every parcels I'm buying. And if I buy stuff on other e-businesses I'll select the "Gift Option" (especially on "A**zon") to go around the 20 $ maximum without duties even if I'm the gifter and the giftee.

I bought a rare item the other day on eBay, something we cannot find anywhere else or findable but at least at 2X the price. I paid for that GSP racket because I had no idea whatsoever what it was. In PayPal I now have 2 transactions, the first one is with my seller with expedition charges and the second one is with Pitney Bowes. The total of those 2 transactions is $ 117 (canadian). The Hell with that organised racket! I paid for supposedly go around the duties fees. Good Lord! I never get caught by the duties anyway, I will be aware next time. I'll never pay again for those racketeers!

The only way to improve this &*#@) program is to cease it immediately. I just hope to receive my parcel before Santa Claus goes down my chimney on the 25th!

Message 4227 of 6,171
latest reply

, eBay has it right in their terms that they are not responsible for losses as a result of using the site. Check the "Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability" section. Further, this same section effectively attempts to remove the user's rights to seek legal remedy through indemnification should a conflict arise.

Ebay is just an advertising site. Your redress is against the seller. The legal boilerplate is to cover ebay against people claiming that the mere existence of ebay as a company was prejudical to them, and to protect both ebay and sellerd from consequential damage claims. It does not refer to simple claims against sellers. You will see that all listings are headed by the words 'seller accepts complete responsibility for this listing.'

Message 4228 of 6,171
latest reply

I still have not used GSP yet (likely will never use...) but I was wondering...

Are there any situations where buyer will end up out of pocket due to an issue with GSP listing?

Damaged product?

Item not as Described?

Item not arriving at all?

If buyer needs to send back item (via tracked shipping) could they be out of pocket overall?  If so, the "buyer protection" is not really protection for the buyer

For damage in transit and not arriving, the buyer is fully covered. No retirns are needed in either case.

For seller fault claims, the situation remains vague and it can cost the buyer a packet to wind up with nothing.

The UK version of the GSP does allegedly cover the buyer in a seller fault claim (*no examples yet to see if this is true) but the US GSP situation remains unclear despite recent rule changes about sellers paying for the cost of return shipping. If anything the rule changes have muddied the water even further.

Message 4229 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't like it.

I don't buy from sellers using it.

I don't believe you initiated it out of concern for our deficit.

Bottom line, it will in the long run cost you business.

We are allowed a fairly good daily "duty free" allowance that seems to have been ignored.

Jlo

Message 4230 of 6,171
latest reply

"We are allowed a fairly good daily "duty free" allowance that seems to have been ignored."

You consider $20 Cdn 'fairly good'?

I consider it horrible.

Message 4231 of 6,171
latest reply

I suspect the poster was referring to allowances given Canadians returning from a trip to the USA or overseas.  Imports by mail do not have such allowance.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html

Traveller personal exemption limits effective June 1, 2012 Less than 24 hours 24 hours or more 48 hours or more 7 days or more

Personal exemptions do not apply to same-day cross-border shoppers.
Up to CAN$200 – Alcohol and tobacco cannot be claimed. Goods must be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. If the value of the goods you have purchased abroad exceeds $200 after a 24 hour absence, duty and taxes are applicable on the entire amount of the imported goods.
Up to CAN$800 – May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. Goods must be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. Travellers absent for periods of 48 hours or more will have the applicable exemption level credited against the total value of goods.
Up to CAN$800 – May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. For the seven-day exemption, goods may be in your possession at time of entry to Canada but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (such as via courier, mail or delivery agency), except alcohol and tobacco products, which must be in your possession. All the goods will qualify for duty- and tax-free entry if they are declared at the initial return to Canada.

For postal imports, please refer to the official link by the Government of Canada (offered several times already on this thread):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 4232 of 6,171
latest reply

How can i speak with a client that could help me correct a shipping address mistake ? I just noticed i put in wrong fire number and item is dispatched already
Message 4233 of 6,171
latest reply

Send an email to the email address used by the buyer to pay you through PayPal.

Message 4234 of 6,171
latest reply

findable but at least at 2X the price. I paid for that GSP ....

So you paid half or less of the going price for the item.

In PayPal I now have 2 transactions, the first one is with my seller with expedition charges and the second one is with Pitney Bowes.

Both of which you were shown before you clicked Purchase the second time.

Was the total (selling price+ seller shipping+ GSP charges) still less than the going price?

The total of those 2 transactions is $ 117 (canadian).

If the import fees were $117, I can only suppose that the item was valued well over the $20 CDN ($18 USD) which is the point at which Canadian import charges kick in.

The Hell with that organised racket! I paid for supposedly go around the duties fees.

Uh, no. Most of that price is the applicable Canadian duty on the item and the applicable Canadian sales taxes on the item. Duty is payable on most goods not manufactured in NAFTA countries. Tax is payable even on used goods. And there's a service fee of about $5 in there too. That goes to PitneyBowes/GSP.

You did not pay to go around the duty and tax. You paid the duty and tax on purchase instead of on your doorstep.

The GSP is a bad program, badly explained to sellers and even more badly explained to buyers.

I've had only one experience with it so far, because I avoid buying from the USA anyway. But in that case, the price of my item (The Atlas of the 'Verse Volume I) was lower even with GSP than any other copy offered on eBay or Amazon without the GSP. 

The Watch option allows the consumer to compare total prices on items. It's well worth using.

Message 4235 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

, eBay has it right in their terms that they are not responsible for losses as a result of using the site. Check the "Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability" section. Further, this same section effectively attempts to remove the user's rights to seek legal remedy through indemnification should a conflict arise.

Ebay is just an advertising site. Your redress is against the seller. The legal boilerplate is to cover ebay against people claiming that the mere existence of ebay as a company was prejudical to them, and to protect both ebay and sellerd from consequential damage claims. It does not refer to simple claims against sellers. You will see that all listings are headed by the words 'seller accepts complete responsibility for this listing.'

There are many scenarios where  eBay effectively ceases to be a basic advertising site:

1. Whenever they enter into, and ajudicate a conflict between a buyer and seller and make an executive decision on if a refund is to be issued.
  2. Whenever they prohibit certain items (e.g. Certain Nazi paraphernalia) but not others (e.g. pirated software preinstalled on hardware) despite them both being questionable.
  3. Whenever eBay implements a programme like the Global Shipping Programme, they are injecting themselves and business associates directly into the shipping procedure and making executive decisions on shipping costs.
  4. Whenever their business associates deem that they cannot reship an otherwise completely legal item.
  5. Whenever paypal freezes, or seizes funds.
  6. Whenever they terminate a buyer or seller account.

In all of these situations, eBay themselves are entering into the scene as a direct influence over an outcome of a transaction. That boilerplate exists and like boilerplate to permit eBay to make decisions on each situation with a degree of impunity. If eBay didn't do any of the above except by court order or like legal instuments then I could see your statement as having merit.

Message 4236 of 6,171
latest reply

Edit time ran out, but three last examples:

7. Whenever eBay makes decisions to remove, alter or demand altered listings (Especially where North American sellers may get a listing removed for using item variants to sell completely different items, while Chinese sellers often do not)

8. Whenever eBay issues strikes against buyers or sellers.

Message 4237 of 6,171
latest reply

• Whenever eBay implements a programme like the Global Shipping Programme, they are injecting themselves and business associates directly into the shipping procedure and making executive decisions on shipping costs.

According to the GSP terms and conditions, by listing a GSP item the seller accepts these terms and by buying the buyer accepts them. It's no defense if they don;t read them, the participants are at least directed to them.

Your other cases are also covered in the general user agreement.

Message 4238 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

• Whenever eBay implements a programme like the Global Shipping Programme, they are injecting themselves and business associates directly into the shipping procedure and making executive decisions on shipping costs.

According to the GSP terms and conditions, by listing a GSP item the seller accepts these terms and by buying the buyer accepts them. It's no defense if they don;t read them, the participants are at least directed to them.

Your other cases are also covered in the general user agreement.

Just because a company drafts a T&C that is written in such a way that they could commit mass murder and get away with it does not mean that it would be legal in a court of law. If a person reads the entire T&C there are actual sections that contradict each other, saying one thing and stating something entirely different later. There have been companies in the past who also have used this type of language in their conditions and without fail the courts have ruled against them. If eBay were a Canadian company our consumer protection laws which vary from province to province would supersede some of the T&C's eBay has in place for the  GSP. 

The fact that eBay no longer addresses any concerns posted here and have been regurgitating the same propaganda in England and plainly ignore pointed questions when they rolled the GSP out there clearly shows their motivation is financially driven and not for the benefit of the sellers or buyers.

My advise to all buyers is to avoid any seller who uses the GSP, there are still plenty of good sellers out there who do not use this useless money sucking program and if ever the day comes when every seller on eBay is enrolled in it, never fear currently there are more and more ecommerce sites appearing that are not only more affordable but more importantly are also more competitive even Amazon under the right circumstances.

Message 4239 of 6,171
latest reply

@grantmartin13 wrote:

I will be placing a complaint against the seller and ebay with VISA if enough people complain about the seller and ebay they can and will restrict their ability to process online transactions.

I hope others follow my example. With enough complaints and sellers affected, ebay would be affected and be forced to make changes

Sellers are told :

GSP tracking.JPG

Message 4240 of 6,171
latest reply