Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

There will be no furthger charges

Unfortunately, that is not an absolute fact. I have spoken to more than a few people who have had CP handling added to their charges even using the GSP.

Message 4561 of 6,171
latest reply

"There will be no furthger charges"

Unfortunately, that is not an absolute fact. I have talked to more than a few people who have had CP handling fees applied for various reasons even when using the GSP.

Message 4562 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP is full of problems for Canadians but let's try to keep the information factual.

" I have talked to more than a few people who have had CP handling fees applied for various reasons even when using the GSP."

This will only happen when the American seller screws up and ships directly to the Canadian buyer (by mail or otherwise).

When the seller ships to the Kentucky distribution centre (GSP) as instructed by PayPal when GSP is used, no additional amounts (shipping, duty, tax or fees) are charged to the Canadian buyer at time of delivery (or pick up at the post office).

Message 4563 of 6,171
latest reply

Unfortunately, that is not an absolute fact. I have talked to more than a few people who have had CP handling fees applied for various reasons even when using the GSP.

Can you give details of the full circumstances and nature of these charges? I have never seen a case where they did not trace back to direct shipping by the seller.

Message 4564 of 6,171
latest reply

I am one of the who LOVE GSP! Smiley Happy

I hope it will be shortly offered also in Canada!

I will enroll IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Here an example. I buy very heavy items in UK. They were shipped to Canada for about 180 dol. Last week I bought another one form a UK seller enrolled into GSP. The total cost of shipping, import charge included - was 60 dollars!!!!!! Imagine!!! I saved 120 dollars!!!!

Item was here within a week!

I understand above will not always work for small items, but try to calculate! For heavy items imported from US I pay now about half what I paid before. I try to avoid all sellers not enrolled into GSP, because they charge twice for the shipping (example from yesterday - 48 dollars vs. 18 + 6 dollars import fees). 

A MESSAGE TO CANADA POST PEOPLE.

This is also a chance for you to get Canadian customers back! Otherwise, they will one day ALL go to Chitchatsexpress! 😉

Message 4565 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

In the case of my last item under the GSP, if the seller had shipped USPS direct, the shipping would have been $3.75 direct, with no duties or taxes owing, and no brokerage fees applied by CP. The item would have traveled a much shorter distance than the distance to PB. The shipping/import charges under the GSP are currently almost $20.00, and it still remains to be seen if CP will apply any further charges.

There will be no furthger charges, but what puzzles me is why buy from a GSP seller in the first place? This is like shooting yourself in the foot them complaining that it hurts.

The motto of the GSP should be "You shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke"  🙂

Firstly, I have spoken to numerous people who HAVE had additional CP handling charges after using the GSP.

Why should you be puzzled ? I needed the item, and went ahead with the transaction. Because I did so, it doesn't mean the GSP is a good program for buyers.

And yes, I do get a chance to complain it hurts, because eBay policies forced the seller into a program that limits the seller's ability to use another shipping service that would have been much cheaper, much quicker, and a far better experience for the buyer.

But thanks for the "holier than thou" 'tude.

Message 4566 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

In the case of my last item under the GSP, if the seller had shipped USPS direct, the shipping would have been $3.75 direct, with no duties or taxes owing, and no brokerage fees applied by CP. The item would have traveled a much shorter distance than the distance to PB. The shipping/import charges under the GSP are currently almost $20.00, and it still remains to be seen if CP will apply any further charges.

There will be no furthger charges, but what puzzles me is why buy from a GSP seller in the first place? This is like shooting yourself in the foot them complaining that it hurts.

The motto of the GSP should be "You shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke"  🙂

Message 4567 of 6,171
latest reply

"because eBay policies forced the seller into a program that limits the seller's ability to use another shipping service that would have been much cheaper, much quicker, and a far better experience for the buyer."

That statement is incorrect.

American sellers have the ability to list without GSP or to exempt specific countries (such as Canada).

We all know the program is not friendly to Canadian buyers in most instances. 

However, there are ways around it IF the seller is willing to work with the buyer.  The real problem is that GSP is easy on American sellers and many of them want the sale without working too hard on it.

Message 4568 of 6,171
latest reply

Firstly, I have spoken to numerous people who HAVE had additional CP handling charges after using the GSP.

Can you give any verifiable examples of this?  It is impossible for items that enter the country with GSP shipping to attract extra charges. Once they enter the Canadian mail or parcel system they are already cleared imports and cannot be charged again. They are less able to attract extra charges than a bunch of Canadian items posted domestically as they are immune from postage due charges that may be applied to domestic items sent under paid.

The only verifiable cases of extra charges at the door have all been cases where the seller sent direct to the buyer. These are GSP items but not sent with GSP mailing process.

Message 4569 of 6,171
latest reply

@golfanddrum wrote:

And yes, I do get a chance to complain it hurts, because eBay policies forced the seller into a program that limits the seller's ability to use another shipping service that would have been much cheaper, much quicker, and a far better experience for the buyer.

Many sellers don't like being enrolled in the GSP by default either.

The quote is from a seller selling low value (< 50.00US) items.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ebay-sneaking-in-global-shipping/m-p/23832372#M485477 

EBAY Capture.JPG

EBAY Capture.JPG

Message 4570 of 6,171
latest reply

brlake63
Community Member

Here's to the Global Shpping program. I only have one question as a frequent buyer where I have noticed that three of 10 statues that I ordered have arrived broken!!...not a very good ratio considering the extra charges as a canadian buyer through the program. So I have one question and I am sure many others have the same...for the extra charges we're being charged...."Is it that you can't deliver our purchases on time and undamaged or is that you just don't care"? Just a question????? 

Message 4571 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"because eBay policies forced the seller into a program that limits the seller's ability to use another shipping service that would have been much cheaper, much quicker, and a far better experience for the buyer."

That statement is incorrect.

American sellers have the ability to list without GSP or to exempt specific countries (such as Canada).

We all know the program is not friendly to Canadian buyers in most instances. 

However, there are ways around it IF the seller is willing to work with the buyer.  The real problem is that GSP is easy on American sellers and many of them want the sale without working too hard on it.

Now we all know that statement is not exactly telling the whole story is it?

It is known and documented quite well both here and on the .com boards before they deleted that entire GSP thread that US sellers have been and continue to be enrolled in it repeatedly without their knowledge each and every time eBay updates its terms of conditions or "upgrades" their auction system. By using the "you must choose to not be enrolled" option buried within the T&C they effectively have millions of US sellers unknowingly enrolled in the program which generates millions of dollars revenue for eBay and PBI unknowingly on the backs of the sellers who cannot see these additional charges. This practice is no different or better than the car salesman who rolls back the odometer on a used car to justify the inflated price and while it is deceitful and morally wrong it falls well within the usual American policy of increase profits no matter what. 

Even after more than 2 years eBay still cannot get it right but why should they with the free revenue it generates and now that the UK sellers are suckered into it more money will be generated there.  Amazon for all it's faults is comparatively inexpensive, open, honest, transparent and actually gives refunds when the buyer is overcharged or the price drops, when did the PBI ever to that?  I think every now and then Amazon sends eBay a thank you card for sending more and more business their way because of the GSP.

The one thing I do agree with you on is that the majority of US sellers feel it too hard to fill out a single form needed to ship out of the US because if that was not the case the GSP would not exist.  And they have no one to blame but themselves when it is cheaper and faster to make a purchase from China including shipping than from the US because China does not have the GSP. But I have noticed that some of the large US sellers have not and continue to avoid the GSP trap and do fantastic sales internationally because filling out that single form is the cost of doing business.

Message 4572 of 6,171
latest reply

I was bidding on multiple items from one seller over a period of 7 days. I sent an e-mail explaining this to seller and asked if I could wait til the end of the last item to pay. The seller e-mailed back saying it was okay. So while I was waiting on the last items to end, the seller opened unpaid item cases against me for the first items. I've sent e-mails requesting a total now that the last item has ended and no reply. It's been 2 days since the last sale ended and according to my observations, the unpaid item cases opened three days after the sale of each winning item. If they 'okay'd a payment after all the items finished, then why do they keep opening unpaid item cases on me. Do I have to pay for each item individually now that the cases are opened or how do I get the cases closed? I get no replies regarding any of this from the seller. What are my options?
Message 4573 of 6,171
latest reply

as a frequent buyer where I have noticed that three of 10 statues that I ordered have arrived broken!!...

Were all the statues in the seller's packaging?

Were they damaged in transit with the shipper?

USPS and Canada Post both handle GSP parcels at some point. If they damage a parcel there will be obvious notes to that effect including special tape.

However, most of that damage is due to poor packing by the sender.

Were they repacked in KY by PB/GSP? If so, they will have a note included with the eBay logo on it.

PB does a pretty bad job of re-packing by all accounts. But they do make it clear they repacked.

If you open an Item Not As Described dispute, PB is pretty good about refunds without returns. Sellers usually do want the items returned but some will accept photographs of the broken items.

Message 4574 of 6,171
latest reply

The UIDs may have been opened automatically. Busy sellers often use this option. It is annoying for honest multiple buyers. If you pay, the UID disappears.

Sellers who have (been) enrolled in the GSP cannot combine and discount shipping. So there is no point in waiting for all the items you want to complete before paying for the earlier ones. They are going to trickle in one by one.

You can sometimes get around this by having the seller make a special listing for you with all the items you want and discounted combined shipping. Ask him to use your name as the title (for privacy) and to describe all the items in the listing for your protection and his. You would also want USPS shipping and not GSP, but since this is a 'lot' rather than several single items that is not necessarily going to save you money.

Some sellers will be happy to do this for a multiple purchase. Others will panic. Others still are too lazy.

Message 4575 of 6,171
latest reply

"So its not as easy as "if you don't like it fdont use it". That's like saying " if you don't like the price of GAS don't drive" when you live a 45 minute drive to work "

How do you figure?

Most people do have to work. Many may not have a choice on how to get there.

Not sure how you compare the need to get to work with the desire to buy stuff on ebay...

Message 4576 of 6,171
latest reply

interesting thought on being delivered 

so i do have to work as a buyer with the GSP without me accepting or appreciating it. Which is good i don't deem it at all but now it is going way over and behind what i did expect  from it.   How can an item be delievered when it is still in Erlanger KY and not even close to Ontario Canada  

Sunday, Apr 5, 2015
2:57 AM
ERLANGER, KYDelivered
Saturday, Apr 4, 2015
1:03 PM
CINCINNATI, OHIn Transit-Departed USPS Facility
Saturday, Apr 4, 2015
CINCINNATI, OHArrived at Post Office
Saturday, Apr 4, 2015
CINCINNATI, OHDeparted USPS Facility
Saturday, Apr 4, 2015
6:04 AM
CINCINNATI, OHIn Transit-Departed USPS Facility
Saturday, Apr 4, 2015
12:25 AM
CINCINNATI, OHIn Transit-Arrived at USPS Facility
Saturday, Apr 4, 2015
12:25 AM
CINCINNATI, OHArrived at USPS Facility
Friday, Apr 3, 2015
2:54 AM
OAK CREEK, WIIn Transit-Departed USPS Facility
Friday, Apr 3, 2015
2:54 AM
OAK CREEK, WIDeparted USPS Facility
Friday, Apr 3, 2015
1:48 AM
OAK CREEK, WIIn Transit-Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
Friday, Apr 3, 2015
1:48 AM
OAK CREEK, WIArrived at USPS Origin Facility
Thursday, Apr 2, 2015
8:02 PM
PLYMOUTH, WIIn Transit-Departed Post Office
Thursday, Apr 2, 2015
8:02 PM
PLYMOUTH, WIDeparted Post Office
Thursday, Apr 2, 2015
4:00 PM
PLYMOUTH, WIIn Transit-Acceptance
Thursday, Apr 2, 2015
4:00 PM
PLYMOUTH, WIAcceptance
Message 4577 of 6,171
latest reply

you might would like to bring an order in this caos because the posts are not in any order woudl be great if you could order it from most recent date to least recent

Thank you
Message 4578 of 6,171
latest reply

you are so right otherwise they would give you better options
Message 4579 of 6,171
latest reply

"so i do have to work as a buyer with the GSP without me accepting or appreciating it."

Actually you do not accept it.  If you see a listing by an American seller using GSP (indication of "import charges" in the listing) use the back button.  You do not have to buy anything you do not want.

By putting in a bid or clicking on the "Buy-it-Now" icon, you are in fact accepting the terms of the Global Shipping Program (GSP)

The tracking information you have is correct.  GSP is a three-step program:

1) from the seller to the distribution centre in Kentucky.  The tracking you have shows that first step is completed.

2) from the distribution centre in KY to Canada after clearing Canada Customs (all that is handled by Pitney Bowes or its agent)

3) then to the delivery carrier (typically Canada Post or CanPar; other carriers may be used at times)

Message 4580 of 6,171
latest reply