Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

ca.rosad
Community Member

I am frustrated with your GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM ! Hope i get my item! Can't track it either! I order the exact same item 4 yrs ago, never had a problem. Seems like you have added another layer on the onion! This doesn't seem to work well for a Canadian buyer. Bought an item for $87 turned out to cost $174 `. All that and with the US dollar exchange  it makes  buying from Ebay US impossible!!!!!!

ross

Message 4621 of 6,171
latest reply

This program is why I use Amazon now. 

eBay for Chinese goods. Amazon for everything else. 

Will never buy anything from a seller using GSP. 

Message 4622 of 6,171
latest reply

dinujan
Community Member

Will be shopping with Amazon.com/Amazon.ca until this program is cancelled. 

Message 4623 of 6,171
latest reply

@dinujan wrote:

Not all US sellers ship to Canada via the GSP.  Why would you want to punish US sellers who ship directly to their Canadian customers?

Message 4624 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@dinujan wrote:

Not all US sellers ship to Canada via the GSP.  Why would you want to punish US sellers who ship directly to their Canadian customers?

It could be that what this buyer purchases items that may be only available from GSP sellers or from sellers who are unaware they are enrolled in the program since that type of deceptive practice by eBay is still occurring. I interpreted dinujan's comment to mean they would not be buying from GSP sellers which as any sensible Canadian buyer would avoid anyway.

Message 4625 of 6,171
latest reply

@walker0017 wrote:
 I interpreted dinujan's comment to mean they would not be buying from GSP sellers which as any sensible Canadian buyer would avoid anyway.

If that's the case, it seems odd to state that they'd buy from non-GSP sellers until the GSP went away, after which they'd continue to purchase from non-GSP sellers.

Message 4626 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@walker0017 wrote:
 I interpreted dinujan's comment to mean they would not be buying from GSP sellers which as any sensible Canadian buyer would avoid anyway.

If that's the case, it seems odd to state that they'd buy from non-GSP sellers until the GSP went away, after which they'd continue to purchase from non-GSP sellers.

Buyers easily understand this as quite a few have stated here before, if you were a buyer you would easily understand this as well but obviously you do not.

Message 4627 of 6,171
latest reply

I mainly buy from Amazon.ca now and from ebay buyers that don't use the GSP.  Ebay is killing the U.S. sellers business and so many are too stupid to see what's happening.  There are easily many dozens of auctions I would've bought the products, but they did not want to change the shipping option. 

Message 4628 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@walker0017 wrote:

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I know from reading the boards that many buyers are simply tired of weeding out all the GSP items. I'm sure that some are still using Gallery View to search for items and it has to get tedious very quickly. Even using List View, I know from experience how annoying it is to see that "Customs services & international tracking provided" blurb on listing after listing after listing. I hardly buy anything on here anymore because I hardly ever search for anything anymore. What little I still buy pretty much always comes either from sellers I've dealt with before and know well, or from sellers outside the US/UK.

Welcome back Marnotom 🙂

Message 4629 of 6,171
latest reply

Posting this so others are aware

So far not to happy with the new GSP system, I never had this problem with USPS  or anyone else with items shipped

I have checked my shipping track #, and it appears to have been shipped from the GSC on May 4th, it's been lost for 7 days now why is there no tracking info after this, where is the package? I really want this item and it is the last one, so I am unable to buy another.

I have asked where it is? they cant tell me, never had this problem with USPS tracking #'s

If it’s tracked how can it be lost, surely they can back track to where it was last???  was it stolen?  time will tell I guess

Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination

May-04-15, 18:17 PM, Erlanger

Customs Documentation and Labeling

May-02-15, 15:30 PM, Erlanger

Processing at Global Shipping Center

May-02-15, 14:40 PM, Erlanger

Arrived at Global Shipping Center

May-01-15, 13:26 PM, ERLANGER, KY 41025

In Transit-Arrived at Post Office

May-01-15, 10:03 AM, ERLANGER, KY 41018

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Facility

Apr-30-15, 01:39 AM, CINCINNATI, OH 45235

In Transit-Departed USPS Facility

Apr-29-15, 08:10 AM, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

Apr-29-15, 00:42 AM, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512

In Transit-Departed Post Office

Apr-28-15, 18:23 PM, GRAND HAVEN, MI 49417

In Transit-Acceptance

Apr-28-15, 17:21 PM, GRAND HAVEN, MI 49417

So far all I've been told is to wait and file a claim, this is not normally a problem but I am unable to buy another of this item so that just rubs salt in the cut even more  Man Sad

Message 4630 of 6,171
latest reply

The tracking may be updated after the item is delivered. After all, that is what it is for.

No point babysitting stuff, it may be almost on your doorstep. Lack of information does not mean it is lost. It is pretty normal for GSP items.

Message 4631 of 6,171
latest reply

It's been in transit for 15 days.

Normal delivery from the USA in my experience, eBay or other, postal or courier, GSP or direct is 15 to 20 days.

On Day 20, file an Item Not Recieved dispute. Get your money back. If the item arrives after that, neither the seller nor the GSP wants it back.

Message 4632 of 6,171
latest reply

So your telling me that once it leave the GS facility it's not tracked  until it arrives in CANADA ( this is what EBAY has said to) ??

Kind off defeats the purpose of tracking . 

And yes it's been in transit for 9 days without anyone scanning the the tracing # , and has not reached canadas sorting station yet. I don't think there system that they are using is very good, Very disapointed

Just got a shipment from USPS tracked every step of the way from florida updates at about every 2 days, and got here before this order and was placed after.

Message 4633 of 6,171
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It's been in transit for 15 days.

Normal delivery from the USA in my experience, eBay or other, postal or courier, GSP or direct is 15 to 20 days.

On Day 20, file an Item Not Recieved dispute. Get your money back. If the item arrives after that, neither the seller nor the GSP wants it back.

Yes, I will have to , but still disapointed and I don't know if I will find another one of these which makes it more depressing.

I don't think I will be using this shipping option ever again 😞     I will be going POSTAL only from now on...........  USPS  

Message 4634 of 6,171
latest reply

@walker0017 wrote:

Buyers easily understand this as quite a few have stated here before, if you were a buyer you would easily understand this as well but obviously you do not.

Walker  I agree. 

This is a buyer forum, and so the comments and complaints are completely from a buyer's perspective.

Quite a few posters on this thread are  long time Canadian sellers who have in depth knowledge about all aspects of eBay, but they  have a  completely different  perspective to the average poster here, the buyer who wants to let eBay know that they aren't happy with the GSP.

As one of those posters, just an average buyer here on eBay .....I will add my voice once again.

Quite simply, the GSP  doesn't measure up ....there are many problems with it even after all this time. A recent buy from a seller using the GSP underscored this for me, once again.

Dismal tracking, item quite poorly repacked and resealed, absolutely no info included re the purchase or any details about the transaction .... and the lengthy shipping time despite hefty shipping costs.

The GSP raises costs, and delivers sub standard service. Its presence on this site has degraded eBay, in my eyes. As many others here have reported, this is my last choice now, rather than a first choice when buying online. Unfortunately this impacts all sellers eventually, not only ones using the GSP.

There are so many buyer friendly sites, and many choices.

I wish there were a way that the service provided by PB's GSP could be reviewed separately for each transaction, but this is sadly lacking.

eBay needs to look into this a bit more closely,  and they aren't reading this thread, that much is obvious.

Message 4635 of 6,171
latest reply

Quite simply, the GSP  doesn't measure up ....there are many problems with it even after all this time. A recent buy from a seller using the GSP underscored this for me, once again.

Dismal tracking, item quite poorly repacked and resealed, absolutely no info included re the purchase or any details about the transaction .... and the lengthy shipping time despite hefty shipping costs.

The GSP raises costs, and delivers sub standard service. Its presence on this site has degraded eBay, in my eyes. As many others here have reported, this is my last choice now, rather than a first choice when buying online. Unfortunately this impacts all sellers eventually, not only ones using the GSP.

There are so many buyer friendly sites, and many choices.

I wish there were a way that the service provided by PB's GSP could be reviewed separately for each transaction, but this is sadly lacking.

eBay needs to look into this a bit more closely,  and they aren't reading this thread, that much is obvious.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your comments ring so true  and yes it is too bad eBay no longer listens or appears to care about this thread or the buyers in it. The problems still existing with this program simply put boggles the mind and makes any reasonable person wonder what exactly they are thinking not only at eBay but PB with the number of complaints. As a rule for every 10 or so people who complain here, there could be upwards of several hundred who have had a bad experience and didn't complain and just stopped shopping entirely. To me that is a bad way of doing business but sadly if they are still bring in big profits then I cannot see this stopping anytime soon. I wonder if the reason this was introduced in England was because of a drop off from the US side because of the mismanagement at PB which would make a person wonder how competent PB is with the rest of their business since service with one aspect is mirrored with the other aspects of it.

I still make some buys on eBay but the number of sellers who are non-GSP in the US are dropping so my purchases are limited almost to overseas. Oh well maybe someday it will be enjoyable to make purchases on eBay without being hosed with the GSP costs.

Message 4636 of 6,171
latest reply

This is going to sound odd coming from me, but the UK GSP depot does an excellent job under very difficult conditions, with the main problem being 1 in 5 items incorrectly addressed (no GSP reference number) and a similar proportion of really shoddy packaging. If the US depot is labouring under similar difficulties it seems to me to be mainly down to the sellers themselves that many problems are occouring.

Message 4637 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

This is going to sound odd coming from me, but the UK GSP depot does an excellent job under very difficult conditions, with the main problem being 1 in 5 items incorrectly addressed (no GSP reference number) and a similar proportion of really shoddy packaging. If the US depot is labouring under similar difficulties it seems to me to be mainly down to the sellers themselves that many problems are occouring.

If the work ethics in both countries were the same I would agree with you. But as you have stated they are doing an excellent job in England and we all know in the US not so much of a good or even competent job.

How many buyers have posted complaints where their package has sat for days and weeks at the depot in Kentucky when by all rights it should have been sent on it's way within 48 to 72 hours. This is how other shipping companies do it and this is how PB should be doing it considering how much buyers are having to pay for this service. Now I realize that they ship this stuff out on shipping containers when they are full but that is no excuse for not shipping out these items in a timely manner as other businesses do and they still make a profit and give better service.

Message 4638 of 6,171
latest reply

@walker0017 wrote:

@afantiques wrote:

If the work ethics in both countries were the same I would agree with you. But as you have stated they are doing an excellent job in England and we all know in the US not so much of a good or even competent job.

How many buyers have posted complaints where their package has sat for days and weeks at the depot in Kentucky when by all rights it should have been sent on it's way within 48 to 72 hours. This is how other shipping companies do it and this is how PB should be doing it considering how much buyers are having to pay for this service. Now I realize that they ship this stuff out on shipping containers when they are full but that is no excuse for not shipping out these items in a timely manner as other businesses do and they still make a profit and give better service.

I get the sense that many sellers "using" the GSP in their listings still don't realize they're offering it as a shipping option.  I just looked at yet another listing that has GSP shipping rates, etc. but in the listing description the seller is screaming "no international shipping!"  

In how many GSP listings is it apparent that the seller has used the "item specifics"?  I'm betting that after all this time, it's still a pretty small proportion.  After all, if a seller isn't aware they're offering the GSP as their shipping option, they're not going to adhere to its T&C which include the condition that the seller use "item specifics."   And I'm also betting that the lack of use of the item specifics fields is the big reason why GSP shipments are delayed, as well as a possible reason for some of the difficulties that Arlene_V experienced in her transaction.

Message 4639 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I get the sense that many sellers "using" the GSP in their listings still don't realize they're offering it as a shipping option.  I just looked at yet another listing that has GSP shipping rates, etc. but in the listing description the seller is screaming "no international shipping!"  

In how many GSP listings is it apparent that the seller has used the "item specifics"?  I'm betting that after all this time, it's still a pretty small proportion.  After all, if a seller isn't aware they're offering the GSP as their shipping option, they're not going to adhere to its T&C which include the condition that the seller use "item specifics."   And I'm also betting that the lack of use of the item specifics fields is the big reason why GSP shipments are delayed, as well as a possible reason for some of the difficulties that Arlene_V experienced in her transaction.

I'm betting that your bets are dead on! I bypass all GSP listings when I search for items but there are still enough sellers who go on the .com boards to complain about how they are getting international buyers on what they think are US-only listings but which are actually GSP listings.

The level of "service" provided to buyers of GSP items by eBay/PB is simply unacceptable. Buyers are told that "international tracking (is) provided" so they naturally expect to be able to track their item. When something goes wrong (wrong item, damaged item, no item received), they are left to their own device to deal with a completely counterintuitive process. Since the GSP deals with international buyers, whose command of English may range from excellent to non-existent, they really need to do a much better job than they are currently doing.

But then, the GSP was never about the buyer. And still isn't.

Message 4640 of 6,171
latest reply