Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Well and succinctly said. Hope you have put plenty of time aside to read the extensive non answers from the usual apologist for gsp.

Message 5161 of 6,171
latest reply

Thanks

I know,frustrating isn`t it.These people refuse to acknowledge most of us know the difference between sound reasoning and poor excuses.

How anyone can believe paying more to receive a package they would receive anyway is better escapes me.

First class from the U.S. is now trackable so one would think the need for ``protection``(as one ebay employee explained )should be left alone.

Message 5162 of 6,171
latest reply

@workingmodel wrote:

No combined shipping+

Not according to the GSP user agreement, but there's apparently a work-around that was discussed very recently on this board.  I have no idea how it works out in practice, however, as I've had no reason to purchase multiple items from a seller using the GSP.

@workingmodel wrote:

Grossly overcharging on small items+

There's nothing that can touch the price of letter mail (First Class International, small/light packet) for individual shipments.  Express mail, parcel post and couriers also "grossly overcharge" on small items if you want to follow your line of reasoning.

Also keep in mind that the GSP's shipping charge also includes the seller's charge for shipping the item to the Kentucky shipping centre.

@workingmodel wrote:

No contact info+

I've read some reports on the .com board of success getting in touch with PitneyBowes (administrators of the GSP) through its Facebook page.  This was some time ago, mind you.  I do agree, though, that PitneyBowes could use some serious schooling in public relations, including having decent communication channels open to those who are giving it money.

@workingmodel wrote:

Foreign entity collecting Canadian taxes(Canada post is federal,they know the tax to collect)+

PitneyBowes isn't collecting taxes.  It's acting as importer on your behalf and paying taxes and duty due to a logistics firm (who in turn forwards the money to the feds).  Part of the generically-named "import charges" you pay include the taxes and duty due based on the information provided by the seller.

@workingmodel wrote:

Total lack of customer loyalty from ebay to allow such an thing+

eBay has been trying to boost international sales for quite some time.  Many US sellers are largely pretty comfortable selling within the large US market and a good proportion of those sellers don't know how to ship internationally and, what's more, have fallen for the horror stories of unaccounted shipments, mounds of paperwork and the international buying pool being a minefield of scam artists, amongst other things.

Forwarding services of various kinds have existed for some time, but it's been up to the buyer to initiate them.  PitneyBowes, of postage meter fame, came up with the idea to make a service like this accessible for sellers.  I suspect what we're getting is some ways away from the original idea, though.

@workingmodel wrote:

The insinuation we need this,we must all be crooks-thanks for negating my 100%,it`s for your own good don`t you know=

Sellers can't leave buyers negative feedback, don't you know?  😉

I've never felt that I've been branded a potential "crook" by eBay or PitneyBowes, but your kilometrage may vary. 

What we may "need" the service for, though, is to help deal with all those US eBay sellers who have never shipped internationally in their lives.  I believe that a lot of those listings that show the GSP as a shipping (more accurately, forwarding) method would not have shipping to Canada listed on them otherwise.

@workingmodel wrote:

One very displeased long time customer.

Almost made me smile to read how sales are down in the ebay.com community site.Sold my ebay shares over this one.

It's been a while since I hung out on the .com boards since they were rejigged and "streamlined".  Are these reports from eBay itself or from individual sellers?

While I'll admit I've started looking more closely at other sites for the items I want, I've been finding that on other sites they're either more expensive or else shipping to Canada isn't supported.  Again, your experience will likely be different, but that's how it is for me.

Message 5163 of 6,171
latest reply

Thanks for the lengthy reply/rebutal.You repeatedly infer different experiences but with a feedback score of two,both over a year old,wonder were they may come from.You really do talk like an old hand here.

I also find the responses quite patronizing,don`t really care who they ship the money to,they collect it,don`t really feel better knowing paying double shipping,in fact part of the complaint.Never felt the insinuation of being underhanded,I guess not,never using them.Do wonder were the comment about minefield of scam artists,amongst other things could come from however.I rest my case on that one.

No problem to find an internet company to ship to Canada for less.Funny they don`t seem to suffer the same woes as ebay,I would think would be similar.Do they just suffer in silence?

Smoke and mirrors should be left to the stage magicians.Employees acting as users seems dishonest to me.

Message 5164 of 6,171
latest reply

Do not confuse a posting ID with inexperience. I use my main ID because I have retired from selling. Active sellers and buyers often use an 'insulated' ID for the boards.

People who point out that most questions have two sides are not ebay employees because of this.

Message 5165 of 6,171
latest reply

No surprises at all. It's a strategy, anything perceived as critical is talked to death. Would be funny if it were not so misleading. And by the way, who would ever want or need an  "insulated" ID, whatever that may be?

Message 5166 of 6,171
latest reply

@colinflyfisher wrote:

No surprises at all. It's a strategy, anything perceived as critical is talked to death. Would be funny if it were not so misleading. 

For somebody who claims they're no longer reading my posts, they sure seem to bother you.  What are you finding so "misleading" about them?

Message 5167 of 6,171
latest reply

@colinflyfisher wrote:

And by the way, who would ever want or need an  "insulated" ID, whatever that may be?

AFantiques was referring to posting ID's such as mine. I have been on eBay for 15 years, mostly as a buyer although I have done some selling.

Sellers often use posting ID's to protect themselves from people who could express their displeasure with their posts by taking it out on their listings. It may sound crazy, but it does happen.

Buyers sometimes use posting ID's because they don't want others to see what they buy, or to protect their buying ID from being blocked by sellers who may not like what they have to say.

As for the GSP, it is not the evil incarnate that some people make it out to be. It is a poorly designed, poorly explained program which is very buyer unfriendly. Ebay/PB could have made it more buyer-friendly without too much extra work. They didn't because they obviously don't care about the buyers. The best thing to do is to return the favor by ignoring GSP listings. As long as buyers keep "holding their noses" and buying GSP items, they keep contributing to the program's "success" and they help make sure it continues in its current format.

Message 5168 of 6,171
latest reply

The post you refer to was not addressed to you, there was no link to you. I can not imagine why you might think the comments were in any way reflective of anything you may have posted. 

Message 5169 of 6,171
latest reply

Thank you so much for explaining the "insulated" ID's. I must be a real innocent, it never occurred to me that always using my genuine ID might not be such a good idea.

Such a shame that what should be a forum for identifying weaknesses, making improvements and monitoring progress seems to have become mainly a defense of the indefensible.

Can only concur with your other remarks about GSP.

Message 5170 of 6,171
latest reply

There is a difference between defending the indefensible and correcting misconceptions about something.

And misconceptions abound because the conventions and practices of freight shipping, used by the GSP, and postal shipping, all that many buyers are used to, are so different.

As far as I can recall the only thing that actually amounts to any kind of defense might be the statements that GSP can be good value for shipping heavy or bulky packages, which is really no more than damning with faint praise.

Message 5171 of 6,171
latest reply

world--coins is offering a Moorcroft Collectors Club newsletter from UK for shipping cost via GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM 16.23GBP.

squimps is offering a Moorcroft Collectors Club newsletter from UK for shipping cost via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL STANDARD 3.75GBP.

WHO WOULD I BUY FROM?

Obviously from the seller offering the least shipping cost.

So why would a seller opt for your GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM AND THEREBY DISCOURAGE SALES?

Message 5172 of 6,171
latest reply

I was disturbed that eBay shared my Paypal payment source with a third party (Pitney Bowes). Not cool!

Message 5173 of 6,171
latest reply

@normalta wrote:

I was disturbed that eBay shared my Paypal payment source with a third party (Pitney Bowes). Not cool!

Your payment source?

I see no indication on the few GSP transactions that I've done that Pitney Bowes has been provided information on my credit card, its issuer, its expiry date or the three-digit security code on the back of the card.

Do you mean something different, perhaps?

Message 5174 of 6,171
latest reply

@normalta wrote:

world--coins is offering a Moorcroft Collectors Club newsletter from UK for shipping cost via GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM 16.23GBP.

squimps is offering a Moorcroft Collectors Club newsletter from UK for shipping cost via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL STANDARD 3.75GBP.

WHO WOULD I BUY FROM?

Obviously from the seller offering the least shipping cost.

So why would a seller opt for your GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM AND THEREBY DISCOURAGE SALES?

The seller may not be aware that they've been opted into the Global Shipping Program.

The seller may be aware that they're opted into the Global Shipping Program but not care, or they feel "safer" with the lessened perceived risk that it offers them.

The seller may be aware that they're opted into the Global Shipping Program but they aren't aware of the shipping charges buyers face.

The UK market is about twice the size of the Canadian market.  Unlike most Canadian sellers, most UK sellers don't need international sales in order to make a decent go of it, or at the very least only need to expand their potential buying pool to the rest of the EU.

Message 5175 of 6,171
latest reply

The UK GSP is ridiculously expensive to Canada and makes the US program look like a bargain in comparison. For kicks and giggles, I was looking at postcards on the UK site a some time ago and found a few shipping with the GSP. Yes, GSP shipping on a poscard worth only a few quids. GSP shipping on those was around 15 GBP! That's around 30 bucks at the current rate of exchange. 30 bucks to ship a postcard. No comments.

I think I'll pass...

Does anyone know if the UK GSP uses Canada Post for small items like the US program does?

Message 5176 of 6,171
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

The UK GSP is ridiculously expensive to Canada and makes the US program look like a bargain in comparison. For kicks and giggles, I was looking at postcards on the UK site a some time ago and found a few shipping with the GSP. Yes, GSP shipping on a poscard worth only a few quids. GSP shipping on those was around 15 GBP! That's around 30 bucks at the current rate of exchange. 30 bucks to ship a postcard. No comments.

And it's actually cheaper to send those postcards to Australia via the GSP than it is to Canada.  Must be that GSP processing fee wreaking havoc with the shipping rates again.

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Does anyone know if the UK GSP uses Canada Post for small items like the US program does?

My understanding is that the choice of carrier within Canada would be up to the logistics firm handling the item once it reaches this country.  I think the two cell phones that I had forwarded through the GSP had Canadian return addresses on the shipping label and were sent through the mail.

My wife just made an order from the UK where the GSP was used.  I'll try to remember to see if I can find out what carrier was used when the order arrives.  I think it's small enough to go as a small packet by mail, so maybe it will be handled as oversized letter mail in Canada.

Message 5177 of 6,171
latest reply

j.renaud
Community Member
Just ordered a package from California to Ontario, Canada. Item took three weeks to arrive, costed double the shipping, and came damaged. There is a sticker on my item box which clearly states Pitney Bowes had to repackage my item in the mail stream and re-bagged from Canada Post. When I opened the box I noticed missing parts which makes this item useless. I have submitted a return request to find that eBay's money back gaurantee does not include the forced Pitney Bowes customs fees. If eBay does not want to refund the fee to Pitney Bowes they should give the choice of shipping method as everybody knows a $26 item does not get taxed at the border. There is only one seller who offers the product I need so I can't order from anyone else, and the thought of losing $13 through customs to have to re-order the item and spend another $13 for customs makes me sick. In my mind Pitney Bowes owes me $13 and both eBay and Pitney Bowes should be held accountable for any damaged items coming through the mail stream. If any other business in the world added additional fees after the transaction they could be charged. What makes these two companies any different. CROOKS CROOKS CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!! The last item I sold took away almost $90 between eBay and PayPal so I will not sell on eBay anymore. If this keeps happening while buying items from eBay I will no longer buy from them either. I must add one more thing Ebay! Keep up the good work upsetting your customers, you made it easier for me to make the choice to buy from Amazon.com over eBay any day of the week. Oh and did I mention you guys are CROOKS!!!!!
Message 5178 of 6,171
latest reply

@j.renaud wrote:
Just ordered a package from California to Ontario, Canada. Item took three weeks to arrive, costed double the shipping, and came damaged. There is a sticker on my item box which clearly states Pitney Bowes had to repackage my item in the mail stream and re-bagged from Canada Post. When I opened the box I noticed missing parts which makes this item useless. I have submitted a return request to find that eBay's money back gaurantee does not include the forced Pitney Bowes customs fees. If eBay does not want to refund the fee to Pitney Bowes they should give the choice of shipping method as everybody knows a $26 item does not get taxed at the border. There is only one seller who offers the product I need so I can't order from anyone else, and the thought of losing $13 through customs to have to re-order the item and spend another $13 for customs makes me sick. In my mind Pitney Bowes owes me $13 and both eBay and Pitney Bowes should be held accountable for any damaged items coming through the mail stream. If any other business in the world added additional fees after the transaction they could be charged. What makes these two companies any different. CROOKS CROOKS CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!! The last item I sold took away almost $90 between eBay and PayPal so I will not sell on eBay anymore. If this keeps happening while buying items from eBay I will no longer buy from them either. I must add one more thing Ebay! Keep up the good work upsetting your customers, you made it easier for me to make the choice to buy from Amazon.com over eBay any day of the week. Oh and did I mention you guys are CROOKS!!!!!

The GSP does not support returns. If you arrange a return with the seller, you will forfeit the GSP portion of your payment (US to Canada shipping + any "import charges").

What you should do is open an "item not as described claim" (you did not order a damaged item so it is Not As Described), indicating that the item was shipped with the GSP and that it was damaged in transit. That is the only way to get all of your money refunded. The seller will keep the money from the sale and will not be penalized. The refund will come from Pitney Bowes and it serves them right for running such a half-baked trainwreck of a program.

For reasons known only to them, eBay has chosen not to make this claims process transparent. This reflects rather poorly on them and has surely alienated a number of international buyers who found themselves out-of-pocket after a less-than-perfect GSP transaction. But if you go through the entire Terms & Conditions page (grab some strong coffee and have fun!) it is in there somewhere.

(And since the GSP does not support returns, once you have your refund in hand, whatever it is you received is yours to do with as you wish: you can keep it, resell it, donate it, toss it, whatever.

Message 5179 of 6,171
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:
For reasons known only to them, eBay has chosen not to make this claims process transparent. This reflects rather poorly on them and has surely alienated a number of international buyers who found themselves out-of-pocket after a less-than-perfect GSP transaction. But if you go through the entire Terms & Conditions page (grab some strong coffee and have fun!) it is in there somewhere.

It's actually Pitney Bowes who has chosen not to make the claims process transparent, in my view.  I doubt there are very few people on eBay USA staff who have any knowledge of international commerce and how straightforward it can be to simply mail something of modest value to Canada.  eBay.com is simply letting Pitney Bowes run the GSP show, assuming that PB knows better than eBay does.  If somebody at eBay expresses concern to PB about the complaints about the GSP, PB can simply dismiss us as no-nothing hosers.  Johnny and Janey Q. Canuck, after all, can't touch PB's experience in logistics and eCommerce, even if PB has only been doing this for a relatively short portion of the company's existence.  (Don't forget, PB started out as a postage meter company.)

In the meantime, the suits and shareholders with PB are happy with the return on their investment in this program, while the grunts further down the food chain are probably the only ones who are aware that the formula that works reasonably well for e-tailers such as their Borderfree clients doesn't work so well in a selling environment with many more variables such as eBay.

Message 5180 of 6,171
latest reply