Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

You are certainly not alone in disliking the GSP, most posters here, even those of us who don't turn purple and scream 'Scam' about it, think it is poorly designed and worse implemented.

But given that your items (model railroad paraphenalia?) are bulky, you would be best to be using eBay Canada and have access to Canada Post Calculated Rate parcel shipping.

Keep in mind that when your US customers are Searching on dotCOM, they see your prices in US dollars. Until they actually open the listing that is how they are comparing your prices with US competitors.

And the railroaders I know are a pretty bright bunch who are capable of reading and following instructions. I don't think that having a price in both US and Canadian dollars on the listing (when seen on dot COM) is going to scare most of them.

You might want to look into specific hobby sites as a backup. When we were more active in our hobby (we are retired from a 35 year business with a B&M shop) we used hobby sites, our own website and eBay in tandem. Some months one was working best, some months another.

Message 5461 of 6,171
latest reply

You are absolutely correct.  This program benefits only two parties...Ebay and Pitney Bowes....sellers loose out because we won't buy from them anymore.

Have you noticed that there are now no or very few duty charges...but the shipping is now all over the place.  The cost of shipping is now based on the total sale price...

I buy a lot of charms...one charm is $13.00....which is ridiculous to begin with...but two of the same charms is $18.00.

Regular tracked airmail with insurance is $9.50....but the seller does have to write their own label,,,instead of pushing the print button.

And then they hide behind the tracking issue...bottom line is every package that comes into Canada gets its own tracking number which is linked to whatever number it comes into the country with.

Wake up USA and Great Britain...you have great product but you have been had by Ebay.

Message 5462 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm not an apologist for GSP in regards to Canadian buyers - I agree it is useless, and costly, and has longer delivery times.  But we are not the only country outside of the USA.  Don't forget that there are many countries in the world where Americans (and Brits) don't want to sell but people would love to buy through eBay.  Those countries may have poor postal service, high corruption and theft rates, and consequent problems for the sellers' eBay accounts.  Also import duties and taxes are very high anyway, so the GSP allows people in those countries to buy with more assurance and not much, if any, increase in cost.  I have read that in some cases it decreases cost to the buyer and provides more reliable delivery service.  So it may benefit both parties to the transaction.

Canada, as I said, is a different story for the majority of eBay GSP listings.  And may I respectfully suggest that most Americans don't give a about selling to Canadians - we are only 1/10th of the US population, and the effect of losing sales to Canada is negligible.

Message 5463 of 6,171
latest reply

You may be missing one very important point. I want to be able to sell in US or CAD dollars and re-use the funds to purchase in the either currency without getting screwed on the conversion each time.

Message 5464 of 6,171
latest reply

"I want to be able to sell in US or CAD dollars and re-use the funds to purchase in the either currency without getting screwed on the conversion each time."

You can do that if you wish - but it has nothing to do with this thread about American sellers shipping to Canada using GSP.

Make sure you have two currency balances in PayPal - one in US$ and one in Cdn$.  You can make either one "primary" based on your needs.

Message 5465 of 6,171
latest reply

kbrrr3
Community Member

The global shipping program is more expensive and the fact that they unpack and repack the items can result in items missing.

Just had a refund from eBay for items not received but that does not compensate for the great deal that I have now lost and items I  had been looking for a long time. It just disappeared once received at the shipping plant in Erlanger.  Not happy!  So much for the tracing!

Message 5466 of 6,171
latest reply

I can't believe how E-bay tries to avoid helping me by replying with a different answer (they do it to delay the process) or even promises me that they'll send me an e-mail (just to make me shut up) and they haven't sent me one about our discussion related to Pitney Bowes. I believe they are protecting them and whatever they say or do "Yes man" type of company. They Pitney Bowes do whatever they are please with our packages physically and charges whatever they want. How can you E-bay deal with such a company? Don't tell me to call them,when I've called them they told me to contact you. They sure like to avoid customers but a greedy with money for sure. They owe me an explanation and money and you E-bay keep asking me information already provided and that the case is too far. Well by you taking so long and replying wrong it creates a delay. I'll stay away from Global shipping or whenever I see Pitney Bowes. To improve the Canadian experience get rid of this program,they are not customs and they create delays in shipping and they fool around with the items.

Message 5467 of 6,171
latest reply

You still have not explained what your actual problem is.

Is it this?

,they are not customs

No but they pay the applicable duty and sales taxes on items valued over $20CDN ($16USD) and charge about $5USD to the buyer for the service.

If you do not believe they are doing this, report Pitney Bowes to Revenue Canada with a cc to your MP.

and they create delays in shipping

There are claims about this, but since their shipments are bonded they clear the border pretty fast.

In mylong experience with mail order, delivery from pretty well anywhere in North America takes around 20 calendar days.

and they fool around with the items.

There are reports that PB/GSP has repacked shipments -- badly.

This seems to be when sellers do not adequately explain what is in the parcel (place of manufacture and presence of banned items have been noted).

But basically, you have a point.

If there is no note about repacking in the shipment, damage was probably due to poor packing by the seller.

Do you want to track your GSP package? (Not my research)

TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Message 5468 of 6,171
latest reply

Okay femmefan...you've convinced me. The Global Shipping Program is the most outstanding program ever designed by Ebay. How did we ever survive without it! It has made the entire Ebay experience as a Canadian buyer absolutely wonderful experience! I love it! It's a staggering improvement over the good old days in acquiring items from the U.S....in particular, small collectibles and lettermail items. I marvel at the efficiency in delivering products in a safe and timely manner. It exceeds all expectations! Good for Ebay! Good for everyone!

I'm sure the previous 5000+ posts are just as complimentary. Thank you again Ebay! I look forward to your next program for Canadians...

Message 5469 of 6,171
latest reply

It's a **bleep** program and most of us trying to explain what it does and doesn't do say so, repeatedly.

But you still have not explained your actual problem.

Message 5470 of 6,171
latest reply

Since Global shipping started I shop much less on eBay. Only if I can't get a item locally will I shop eBay or other online options. This  as well as experience with items being not as described brought me to this conclusion. This whole online shopping is like the migration of manufacturing going offshore. I now shop locally first to preserve or local economy.

Message 5471 of 6,171
latest reply

I absolutely 'dislike' the Global Shipping Program and will purchase from a Canadian source including Amazon.ca or from a non-US source rather than from an eBayer using GSP, if at all possible.  Prices are often comparable and shipping times much the same now due to the crazy delays and costs with GSP.

I had a recent shipment from Ohio circle from there to elsewhere in Ohio to Illinois to New Jersey and back to Ohio before it got to Erlanger.  It took 10 days just to get to Pitney-Bowes and then 12 days to me in Canada.

Meanwhile something I ordered direct from California got to me in 4 days(over a weekend).

This is someone's idea of a bad joke.

Message 5472 of 6,171
latest reply

I had a recent shipment from Ohio circle from there to elsewhere in Ohio to Illinois to New Jersey and back to Ohio before it got to Erlanger. 

Until it got to Erlanger, it was in the gentle and loving care of the USPS. Obviously they became very fond of it and passed it around so more USPS officials could admire it.

Message 5473 of 6,171
latest reply

Until it got to Erlanger, it was in the gentle and loving care of the USPS. Obviously they became very fond of it and passed it around so more USPS officials could admire it

Too bad USPS couldn't deliver it straight to Canada. It would have saved everyone a lot of grief...and money....

Message 5474 of 6,171
latest reply

@billybishop72 wrote:

Too bad USPS couldn't deliver it straight to Canada. It would have saved everyone a lot of grief...and money....

Don't know where you are, Billy, but here on Vancouver Island, all letter mail sent from here now goes to Richmond (suburb of Vancouver) to be sorted and processed, even stuff destined for my neighbour across the street from me.

Message 5475 of 6,171
latest reply

Don't know where you are, Billy, but here on Vancouver Island, all letter mail sent from here now goes to Richmond (suburb of Vancouver) to be sorted and processed, even stuff destined for my neighbour across the street from me.

Smiley Happy..Well Marno...I'm not on an island...like 99.5% of Canadians. In your very special situation I would probably walk across the street and hand-deliver your Ebay item....save every one a lot of grief...and money....:Even better, set up a delivery system with your neighbours kid where he collects the item, repackages it, charges a service fee and delivers it the following week...

Message 5476 of 6,171
latest reply

@billybishop72 wrote:

Smiley Happy..Well Marno...I'm not on an island...like 99.5% of Canadians. In your very special situation I would probably walk across the street and hand-deliver your Ebay item....save every one a lot of grief...and money....:Even better, set up a delivery system with your neighbours kid where he collects the item, repackages it, charges a service fee and delivers it the following week...

The point of my post was that even Canada Post uses something like a "spoke and hub" system for moving letter mail now.  It's not just a Vancouver Island, thing, either.  Towns in the interior of the province (such as in the Okanagan Valley) also see local mail shipped to the Vancouver area for sorting,

Parcel post, on the other hand, seems to be doing fine right now, so if that eBay item to my neighbour is large enough to go as a parcel, it will stay on the island.

Message 5477 of 6,171
latest reply

uff1
Community Member

I have avoided any purchases involving global shipping program primarily because the fees are exorbitant and the benefits questionable, available for less or just non existent. First I didn't realize this was a partnership with Pitney Bowes. I have dealt with them before they they are a horrible bullying and predatory outfit with a culture that does not focus on service in the least. I am currently looking at an expensive item that I expect to go for at least $1500 Canadian. It looks like there will be at least $80 in 'import fees' on top of the $50 shipping. First off this is a used item and should not have duty or GST applied. Second the 'import fees' are hidden but I suspect a great deal of it is a bogus brokerage fee. This also will I assume be shipped by some other carrier which may range from USPS/Canada Post to UPS or FedEx or something much worse like DHL. Apparently I will have no say in this despite knowing what carrier works best to get items to where I am. USPS/Canada Post have a very good reciprocal agreement that sees smooth customs operation with usually no charge or sometimes a nominal fee and will take care of collecting duties and taxes (none on a used item). FedEx also handles customs for a nominal and reasonable fee. UPS can be a little funny and using their standard shipping will hit you with some outrageous 'customs brokerage fees' which are just a cash grab. If you ship with higher levels of service the fees are included so it comes out cheaper and they will then collect tax and duty (still zero on a used item). All of these offer tracking services to ship the item for much less than the $130+ that global shipping wants. PLUS that tracking is first hand instead of one party tracking another carrier's tracking and then making that available to the shipper/shippee. The global shipping program at least for Canada where much better options exist and especially for used goods that are duty and tax exempt is a complete money grab and hose job and really the kind of scam that eBay should be working to shut down not actively promoting let alone forcing on to buyers and sellers alike. 

Message 5478 of 6,171
latest reply

We all know GSP is not "buyer friendly" as far as Canadians are concerned and should be avoided in most instances.

" First off this is a used item and should not have duty or GST applied"

That is incorrect.  Used goods are generally taxable (GST/HST) at the same rate as new goods.

Message 5479 of 6,171
latest reply

@uff1 wrote:

Second the 'import fees' are hidden but I suspect a great deal of it is a bogus brokerage fee. This also will I assume be shipped by some other carrier which may range from USPS/Canada Post to UPS or FedEx or something much worse like DHL. Apparently I will have no say in this despite knowing what carrier works best to get items to where I am. USPS/Canada Post have a very good reciprocal agreement that sees smooth customs operation with usually no charge or sometimes a nominal fee and will take care of collecting duties and taxes (none on a used item). FedEx also handles customs for a nominal and reasonable fee. UPS can be a little funny and using their standard shipping will hit you with some outrageous 'customs brokerage fees' which are just a cash grab. If you ship with higher levels of service the fees are included so it comes out cheaper and they will then collect tax and duty (still zero on a used item). All of these offer tracking services to ship the item for much less than the $130+ that global shipping wants. 

A GSP item's "Import charges" consist of the taxes and duty owing on the item (Pierre is correct in his statement that a used item valued at US$1500 would be subject to GST/PST) plus various processing fees levied by Pitney Bowes.

In your case, if the item does sell for US$1500 and the "import charges" are indeed US$80, US$75 of the "import charges" would be GST and US$5 would be processing fees, including "brokerage" charges.  You won't be paying anything at the door the way you would with ground shipping via FedEx, UPS, etc. unless your seller loses the plot and ships the item directly to you by one of these carriers instead of to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.

The US$50 shipping charge is a combination of the seller's charge for shipping to ZIP code 41025 plus whatever Pitney Bowes wants for getting the item shipped from that ZIP code to your destination.  If you want to get a better idea of the split between the seller's shipping charge and Pitney Bowes' shipping charge, look up on the listing page what the seller is asking for shipping the item to USA ZIP code 41025.

Message 5480 of 6,171
latest reply