Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Here is an item have bough. The packing ang handling was defective and the rear derailleur was broken when I received it. I have contacted the seller. This parcel was by global center. Hope you can help me. Regards Daniel

Raleigh CADENT FOUR ZERO WITH EASTON EC90 REAR SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT CNT COMPOSITE

Item price C $26.53
Quantity 1
Item number

Message 5901 of 6,171
latest reply

Yes, you will need to file a "item significantly not as described" (SNAD) claim through the eBay Resolution Centre (see link on the bottom of this page).  In your notes to the eBay bot, make sure you state that the item was received damaged having been shipped through the Global Shipping Program.

My understanding from other threads is that if you use the term "Global Shipping Program" in the description of your claim, it will get passed along to Pitney Bowes so that you will receive a refund of not just the item price and shipping charge, but also the import charges. In addition, you should not have to return the damaged frame.

Good luck!

Message 5902 of 6,171
latest reply

the rear derailleur was broken

the item appears to be a bare frame. No derailleur.

Message 5903 of 6,171
latest reply

trying to track a Package # 402935773333
Message 5904 of 6,171
latest reply

Are you the seller?

Because Tracking is a Seller Protection.

It does give buyers the warm fuzzies which is also a Seller Protection.

Are you able to find the number here?

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e2s1

If not, it is not in Canada.

First Contact the seller.

Verify that you have the right number.

Do NOT accept an offer of a "replacement". It won't arrive either. Common scam.

If the seller does not give you either a number that shows the shipment in in Canada or a refund, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received dispute.

This is common enough that I made a boilerplate post about it.

Not all of this will apply to you, but most of it will.

You have 30 days after that 'last estimated date for arrival' to open a Dispute with eBay's Resolution Centre, which is at the bottom of this page.
The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller. Don’t get into a conversation.
Just ask “When was this sent? What service was used? What is the tracking number?”
Don’t get into a conversation. You want either a prompt refund OR a tracking number that shows the purchase is in Canada.
Do NOT accept a replacement. It won’t arrive.
Do NOT close the Dispute until you have the product or the refund.
If you have already attempted to Contact the Seller,  skip that step, ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.
If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the 30 days have passed, go to your Paypal account.
You have 180 days from payment for this Dispute.
Find the transaction and copy the number.
The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools
Same process basically, skip the Contact Seller and escalate to a Claim.
If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

In future, read the feedback.
Don't buy from sellers with less than 98% positive (99% for Asian sellers)
Read the negative feedback , including seller responses, for patterns like slow or no delivery, poor communication, low quality, counterfeits.

Message 5905 of 6,171
latest reply

@ddi_ca_h9vfs74 wrote:

trying to track a Package # 402935773333

If this item was forwarded through the Global Shipping Program, there should also be a parcel ID for the item with the prefix "UPAA".

You can enter the UPAA code on this website:

https://parceltracking.pb.com

If things are working well with the system, you should get your tracking information.

Message 5906 of 6,171
latest reply

after spending over 20 +YEARS IN THIS BUSINESS OF SHIPPING you are INCORRECT   Canda customs if you take time to go see personal items under was $65  now raised to $100 limit are exempted &or if do get charged you can  file for a refund also 

FACTS TO GLOBAL SHIP :  OPEN ATTACHED   N READ IT   !!!!
 GSP TERMS !! #14 , &  # 15  NO COVERAGE FROM     E-BAY , No Pitney Bowes , NO Pay Pal , NO AGENTS ( re Us post or Canda post ) ARE LIABLE FOR   " NOTHING " including  "NEGLIGENCE" !!!!  ( PS : LEARN YOUR   E-Bay !!    IT  Created  still OWNS PAY PAL   !!!! so this why it auto selects for   USA BOZO's LAZY IDIOT  Sellers
it  E-Bay does Whats ONLY GOOD FOR E-BAY  no 1 else . PERIOD   n Pb Also Cover their BUTTS n anyone elss   too

Pitney has 1 & ONLY 1 subcontactor/ AGENT  it is  >>> :  US POST ONLY !!!!
and
if you know USPS   CLICK N SHIP    1st class intenational is fixed priced per weight   0-8oz= $9.50 , 8+oz -2lbs = $15.50, 2-3 lbs =$24.50, 3-4lbs (it max allowed ) = $36.50   ANYWHERE USA TO ANYWHERE CANADA.....  and
has
AUTOMATIC  " FREE TRACKING & FREE   DELIVERY CONFIRM"  &  max value limit of $400.00   is  so  covered 
SO WHAT IS BETTER FOR A BUYER ?????? 
so guess what n how PITNEY   Uses  to & from the so Called  >>  " " BLACK HOLE" "  OF THE SHIPPING BUSINESS / Aka Erlanger Kty
YEP USPS ALL THE WAY  so yes items take way longer than USPS DIRECT having to detour to Black Hole n out again !!!
As USPS HAS IT OWN 3 (4th on standby) cargo planes in motion of   flight route is : 
Starts at JFK NEW YORK C ( Aka US ship center JAMAICA >> Miami , Florida, > Dallas ,Texas, > Los Angeles  (pilots switch maxed air flight time )  
RETURN ROUTE >> Chicago, > Detroit >> " TORONTO "   FYI   it off loads all for Buffalo & Upstate Neyw York  in TORONTO  trucked 85 mins around lake ) >>   back to NYC.  
 SO WHATS FASTER  USPS DIRECT BY 1st Class  OR   for PBowes it off at Detrioit  trucked down n back to a plane  or God Forbid if they miss taking it off      item got go to >>  Dallas Tx then off to to ELngr Kty  

Message 5907 of 6,171
latest reply

@jafbcb_0 wrote:

after spending over 20 +YEARS IN THIS BUSINESS OF SHIPPING you are INCORRECT   Canda customs if you take time to go see personal items under was $65  now raised to $100 limit are exempted &or if do get charged you can  file for a refund also 

This page from the Canada Border Service Agency's website says the tax-free limit is still $20.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html

If you can find a webpage that supports your claim of a $100 limit on mailed or couriered goods, feel free to pass along a link.

Message 5908 of 6,171
latest reply

Ebay divested itself of Paypal some time ago.

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/ebay-paypal-broke

That's just the first of several business news stories about the sale.

EBAy and PP are still involved, but the announcement that eBay is switching to some company called SHIPPO (aye, I hae ma doots tae) for shipping labels is part of the slow disentanglement.

If you are driving across the border, and have been in the  for 48 hours or more, your duty free import value is higher.

But shipped imports are still at the 1985 level. Twenty dollars. Canadian About $16 USD.

If a Canadian buyer can persuade the US seller to use USPS, she may save money on low value items.

But only if the seller realizes that it is not necessary to use Priority International and that there is a separate rate card for Canada.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

The appropriate rates are under Shape and Size.

I think you are also talking about hub and spoke delivery systems, which have given us such charming institutions as O'Hare Airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoke%E2%80%93hub_distribution_paradigm

This distribution model is used by FedEx, by USPS, by most airlines and by Canada Post.

Which is why when I send a letter from Victoria to Nanaimo, it goes by way of Vancouver.

The Global Shipping Program is a Seller Protection policy.

It has few advantages for buyers, especially Canadian buyers.

Message 5909 of 6,171
latest reply

after spending over 20 +YEARS IN THIS BUSINESS OF SHIPPING you are INCORRECT  

This may have been posted simply to elicit a reaction, but it is in essence, it is entirely wrong.

It is correct that the boilerplate of the user agreement seems to exclude all liability, but in practice for damaged and lost items the recourse (assuming it works correctly) is a bit better than ebay standard as no return of damaged items is required and late arriving items already refunded are yours to keep.

GSP forwarding worldwide does not involve USPS (some recent reported anomolies notwithstanding), it is a freight service involving many carriers.

You may have spent 20 years in shipping but so have most loading docks.

Message 5910 of 6,171
latest reply

3 in a row now delivered via USPS with waits in customs is hardly an anomaly. 

Message 5911 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

3 in a row now delivered via USPS with waits in customs is hardly an anomaly. 

The three your received is a very small sample compared to the total amount of items shipped through the GSP each day, month, year. You also seem to be the only one to have reported this direct shipping through USPS for a GSP item. Not that I doubt that it happened to you based on your posts and supporting documentation. So far I would consider what you have presented to be an anomaly at this time.

Message 5912 of 6,171
latest reply

Regardless of the amount shipped daily via ebay, I am a VERY small percentage of those who would actually take the time to post about this issue. 
Most would just wait it out, get their item, and move on and not be concerned with what happened. 

3 for 3 is 100%, regardless if I am of a minority of those who would actually take the time to post the info along with pertinent documentation the fact of the matter is my last 3 purchases have been via USPS so it is not an anomaly.

If it happened once then OK but 3 in a row shows a trend not a one off. 

Message 5913 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

Regardless of the amount shipped daily via ebay, I am a VERY small percentage of those who would actually take the time to post about this issue. 
Most would just wait it out, get their item, and move on and not be concerned with what happened. 

3 for 3 is 100%, regardless if I am of a minority of those who would actually take the time to post the info along with pertinent documentation the fact of the matter is my last 3 purchases have been via USPS so it is not an anomaly.

If it happened once then OK but 3 in a row shows a trend not a one off. 

A trend for you, perhaps.

Don't forget that my wife also purchased a GSP-forwarded item in the electronics category shortly after you did and hers went through the usual channels.

Message 5914 of 6,171
latest reply

Yeah, PB must see my items and immediately give me a different process then. Cat Indifferent
As I previously stated, ebay and PB are doing something different with those random auctions that ONLY have shipping and no duty charges on them.
Those auctions are becoming more and more frequent so they are obviously experimenting with something.

Message 5915 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

Yeah, PB must see my items and immediately give me a different process then. Cat Indifferent
As I previously stated, ebay and PB are doing something different with those random auctions that ONLY have shipping and no duty charges on them.
Those auctions are becoming more and more frequent so they are obviously experimenting with something.

My wife's MP3 player had the import charges lumped in with the shipping charges just as your items did, so I doubt your experience has anything to do with how the import charges are handled.

What may have influenced the choice of shipping method used by the logistics firm contracted by Pitney Bowes is your postal code, though.  When my wife and I lived on a dot on the map on Vancouver Island, on the ball etailers (or their shipping contractors) figured out that there was no commercial carrier (such as UPS or FedEx) that shipped directly to our location, so they shipped directly to us through the postal system.  When we moved to a somewhat less remote location, those same etailers started using a greater variety of carriers to get their goods to us.

It may be that a poorly trained employee or group of employees at the logistics firm made a poor judgement call on the shipping method for your items based on your location.

Message 5916 of 6,171
latest reply

That is pretty far fetched considering ALL my previous PB purchases came via the usual route to the same address I have lived at for 8 years. 

All those purchases had the shipping and import charges separated however the last 3 purchases did not and they were over $100US and still had low shipping charges so definitely not all lumped in at $20 for a $100+US item. 

You folks are so set in your ways that you just cannot fathom or accept that things change but instead think it must be a "one off" or a "logistical error made 3 times in a row" situation vs just accepting the change. 

If a flood of people came in and stated they had their sent the same as mine you would say the same thing to them....no matter how much proof you get you will just deny the obvious, kinda like what many are doing in the US via the current political regime. 
You refuse to change your ideas along with it and instead stay cemented in the past...sad thing is, you make it so obvious that you are defending either ebay OR PB but at the same time seemingly stand against it. 

It is always the same 4 people on here and has been for years and always with the same argument and defence...you guys need a new hobby and perhaps should start accepting change 🙂

Message 5917 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't get the impression you tried to understand my post.  There's nothing "far-fetched" about human error.

Message 5918 of 6,171
latest reply

The same error over and over, that is far fetched. 

Message 5919 of 6,171
latest reply

If it's only happened with items sent to your neck of the woods, it's going to take a while for this error to be identified, particularly if the logistics company is not made aware of this problem by Pitney Bowes or another party.

Message 5920 of 6,171
latest reply