Complaint about global shipping program

<span;>I am very very unhappy with eBay and the global shipping program.  I bought a small item from the United States on November 4th.  I am in Canada.  The item moved normally within tracking until it cleared customs.  Then it sat for over 20 days.  Nothing.  No movement.  Contacted seller, his response was literally "nothing I can do".  4 words. Called eBay to to report item not as received, because it was past the date of expected delivery, they forwarded me to the accounts department, where I waited on hold for an hour and a half with no answer.  I gave up at that point.Then I get an update a week later saying intelcom has received information about the package but hasn't received it yet.  This last update is dated from a month ago!  Then the next day I get another update saying "In transit - Exception - Warning: Package scanned by wrong driver".  It's been 26 days in transit for this one little item weighing less than an ounce.  Unacceptable.

<span;>I have been using ebay on and off for around 20 years. This is just one of the recent "issues" I've had with eBay and the global shipping program.  There were NEVER this level of problems when there was no Global shipping program.  Ever!  I have been buying a lot on eBay lately for my hobby of coin collecting, and I've decided I'm done with it.  There are other places I can buy with zero hassle, and affordable, fast reliable shipping with the United States postal service.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Complaint about global shipping program

Your seller was right, if rather abrupt. His responsibility for delivery ended in Erlanger KY.

And Intelcom is an absolutly awful last mile service.

If you were given a date for delivery and it passed, you should have gone to the Resolution Centre- never the phone clerks who are undertrained subcontractors and have NO authority.

This is a very straightforward Not Received dispute

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not Recieved with the automated service. You do NOT need any humans.

State that this is a GSP shipment.

When the GSP cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded in full by the GSP.

From the point of view of an old timey mail order seller, 20 days is about enough for a delivery within North America, and 25 days is not terrible. With the current situation, well... if you need it for a deadline, buy it at the mall not online.

One nice thing about GSP (spit spit spit) is that they don't argue about non-delivery. They are big enough and well enough insured that they can take the Claims in stride. And when the item is eventually delivered, and most of these are late not lost,  they do not want it back.

So if you are still within the 30 days from last estimated date for delivery, start your claim.

If you have passed that date by not using the system that has been in place for decades, you can still claim on Paypal for 180 days from Payment.

Again, state that this is a GSP shipment. That was useful (to your seller at any rate) and should get your whole payment refunded, including any import fees.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

How do I submit a claim to the resolution center? when I go to purchase history and click on more actions, there is no option to go to the resolution center.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@dcauley97 wrote:

I have been using ebay on and off for around 20 years. This is just one of the recent "issues" I've had with eBay and the global shipping program.  There were NEVER this level of problems when there was no Global shipping program.  Ever!  I have been buying a lot on eBay lately for my hobby of coin collecting, and I've decided I'm done with it.  There are other places I can buy with zero hassle, and affordable, fast reliable shipping with the United States postal service.

The thing with the Global Shipping Program is that most sellers who use it wouldn't bother shipping directly to Canada if it weren't offered.  There's a way for sellers to exempt Canada from its use in a listing, but given the meagre volume of sales to Canada that most US sellers have, they understandably don't find it worth the effort to do the extra preparation and shipping.

In the past, how did you deal with sellers of "must have" items who refused to ship to Canada, despite your efforts to use your Canuck charms on them?  You probably had a US address on file where the item could be shipped, either to be forwarded to you when it reached that destination, or else as a pickup point for you on your next Stateside visit.  That option is still available; the GSP hasn't taken it away.

Personally, I'm finding that outside of eBay, more and more e-commerce sites are using shipping methods similar to the GSP and foregoing direct shipping to Canada and other international points.  If you can find online merchants doing direct shipping, more power to you.  For items that my wife and I purchase, direct shipping through the postal service is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Do you have the Transaction number of the original listing?

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page, and most eBay pages actually.

Under Help & Contact--  Report an item that hasn't arrived.

They have changed the system to make it easier.

It isn't.

But it's still reasonably straightforward.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Marnotom! said: "In the past, how did you deal with sellers of "must have" items who refused to ship to Canada, despite your efforts to use your Canuck charms on them?  You probably had a US address on file where the item could be shipped, either to be forwarded to you when it reached that destination, or else as a pickup point for you on your next Stateside visit.  That option is still available; the GSP hasn't taken it away."

No one has ever refused to ship to Canada in my experience.   My "canuck" charm? That's very rude of you to say.  Have you tried to cross the border in the last two years or watched the news? We're in a global pandemic, and despite the border being more open than they were a few months ago, it is NOT a good idea to cross now.

Take your rude comments elsewhere.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@dcauley97 wrote:

No one has ever refused to ship to Canada in my experience.   My "canuck" charm? That's very rude of you to say.  Have you tried to cross the border in the last two years or watched the news? We're in a global pandemic, and despite the border being more open than they were a few months ago, it is NOT a good idea to cross now.

Apologies if my irreverent post came off as rudeness.  Seeing as some non-Canadians use the term "Canuck" to describe us (as well as Canadians describing Canadians), I thought it would be a quirky but accurate term to use in reference to Canadians purchasing items from outside of the country.

And, yes, we are in a pandemic.  I did mention that you could get your items forwarded from the US from an individual (or even a service) rather than having the GSP do it.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@dcauley97 wrote:

Apologies if my irreverent post came off as rudeness.  Seeing as some non-Canadians use the term "Canuck" to describe us (as well as Canadians describing Canadians), I thought it would be a quirky but accurate term to use in reference to Canadians purchasing items from outside of the country.

And, yes, we are in a pandemic.  I did mention that you could get your items forwarded from the US from an individual (or even a service) rather than having the GSP do it.

I believe the main ongoing concern is GSP has become the go to default option with a majority of US sellers. In the past there was not problem to find a seller using regular USPS services with specific and/or economical shipping options for anything a buyer was looking for. Throw in how search currently works (or doesn't) shopping on eBay has become a major challenge for Canadian buyers. It has not helped that (from appearance) eBay has pushed GSP on US sellers when a majority of the other programs ared designed in the buyers favour. All it takes is for a buyer to have one bad experience with GSP to reduce their outlook towards shopping on eBay.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

It can be worse.

Possibly because of complaints from Canadian buyers who had never been charged the assessed duty before, and possibly because the GSP program means eBay is paying Pitney Bowes to run it, eBay has introduced an eBay -run International Shipping Program which seems to combine all the worst parts of GSP (central point of mailing, spoke and hub delivery) with all the worst parts of postal system mailing (paying import fees on delivery instead of in advance).

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Then why are you still using GPS if you hate it so much?  Just purchase your item in Canada & support a Canadian Seller.

This GPS "story " is getting old. I never use a GPS Seller unless it is to purchase a large lot. I never use it for small items...

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Sometimes you can't buy items anywhere else. That's why we are on ebay in the first place. If we could easily get it somewhere else we would. Not everything we want is being sold by a Canadian seller.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I love GSP, my all time favourite UFC fighter from my hometown.

As for your issues with the other "GSP", I think your frustration is misdirected, you should be angry at your own government for the ridiculously low per diem limit of CAD$20/day (vs US$800/day for Americans).

I don't blame US sellers, we would all do the same if we were in their place. I used to swim naked and be "Mr.Wonderful" shipping international Small Packets (no tracking), until I got hit with 2 INRs in a row. Now, I only do Canada/US and my sales have not suffered as a consequence.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@parts_and_diecasts wrote:

As for your issues with the other "GSP", I think your frustration is misdirected, you should be angry at your own government for the ridiculously low per diem limit of CAD$20/day (vs US$800/day for Americans).

Just to clarify your post, that US$800 de minimis applies only to duty.  45 US states and DC now levy some sort of internet tax on online purchases made from out of state and there's no "free lunch" applicable there.  eBay collects and remits those taxes on the sellers' behalf (and charges those sellers for the privilege).

The C$20 de minimis only applies to items sent through the mail.  Items sent by courier (or through the GSP) have a tax-free limit of C$40 and duty-free limit of C$150 if the shipment originates from the US or Mexico.  Of course, Canada Border Services usually doesn't bother with items that low in value, anyway, but the fact that it lets them slide should be considered a bonus, not "the way things oughta be."

And, of course, those taxes (visible) and duties (hidden) would be applicable to a sale from a Canadian seller registered to charge and collect taxes, so there's that.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

As Marnotom! wrote: In the past, how did you deal with sellers of "must have" items who refused to ship to Canada, despite your efforts to use your Canuck charms on them?  You probably had a US address on file where the item could be shipped, either to be forwarded to you when it reached that destination, or else as a pickup point for you on your next Stateside visit.  That option is still available; the GSP hasn't taken it away.

As an Ebay Member since it's foundation;  I have to agree in all aspects! In light of the reference to  previous phrase; "despite your eforts to use your Canuck Charm on them". LOL  Personally I think the previous phrase reference "Canuck Charm" was merely misunderstood, and rather factual as a matter factly. Eh!

I think most importantly that is rather best interpreted as a Compliment, in recognition to an obvious fact, for which; "I think of it as a badge Many of Us would be proud to wear or share that honor!  In some cases a little charm and communication is absolutely necessary! That is not a comment of any shame but rather appreciate the recognition.

As a frequent "International" buyer, and occasional seller; in direct relation to this thread, GSP is directly effecting many Canadians and equally effecting us all regardless of nationality. What  the previous message possibly eluded for your consideration to counter GSP  is simpl consider option of self clearing an item on arrival. You may not be aware; "self brokerage" is easily accomplished using UPS or FEDEX providing the seller is able to; Provide and affix Documentation - Adhesive  Enclosure w/ Original Invoice,  and visible Waybill with Sellers "originating address" & country, contact number, and  "accurate description" of "all" goods in shipment) including  total value of goods. and "Buyer's full address" but note: this works best If you list buyer's "Full Name", and clearly written above destination address "Customs Clears Own" and  the destination address used is the "exact  address of  local depot".  The Waybill "Must" Have Buyer's contact phone number documented on waybill !  When the item arrives in Destination Country (Canada). The Carrier calls the buyer to advise the item has arrived, and awaiting customs clearance .  The buyer then obtains the customs clearance documentation sheet (bill of lading) from the Carrier (on arrival) and procceeds to Customs. The "buyer "must produce his identification matching recipient  details, and also a copy of  complete original invoice of all goods purchased, and presented to Customs Office were duties and taxes are paid! Remember  Buyer or Seller you are making a Legal Declaration and you must be able to prove what you purchased alike following all import export laws.   Once all applicable duties and taxes are paid, the Customs Agent simply stamps your documentation, and Carriers Bill of Lading.  You can then "return" to the carrier distribution office were your goods can be released with proof of "Stamped" Customs Clearance Documentation.

Less than 1 minute process required  once you have all documentation but typically 1/2 or less when you are properly prepared!

This can also be done with conventional postal system because similarly all inbound shipments are inspected by Customs prior to release at the distribution portal . Providing everything is correct you can clear the items at customs on arrival or pay any applicable duties and taxes at the local  postal agent on arival as required.

Tip : google search bill of lading, and waybill but most impotantly the original invoice must be attached on outside in a small documents packet.

Thirty seconds to print export documents, and recipient adress contact information and waybill;  it's easy and since it's a legal document seller must sign document declaration of goods that match original invoice of all goods!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

E bay Global shipping program is a bust.  They have one outlet for all of North America now in Chicago illinois.

I live on the west coast in Vancouver canada and orderd from a seller in Washington State on June 13

Normal mail 7 to 10 days at the most!

But Ebay wants you to rely on their global shipping program.

It is now july 16th and in tracking my package it has only reached Toronto Canada as of july 16. OMG. 30 days to get from Washington State to Toronto. I could have driven down to Washington State to pick up the packadge a hundred times faster.

Ebay needs a west coast facility. If there are to many protocols to go thru with the US postal service ,than Ebay needs to really look at this more closley and figure out a better stratagy.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@crashingcollector wrote:

E bay Global shipping program is a bust.  They have one outlet for all of North America now in Chicago illinois.

I live on the west coast in Vancouver canada and orderd from a seller in Washington State on June 13

Normal mail 7 to 10 days at the most!

But Ebay wants you to rely on their global shipping program.

It is now july 16th and in tracking my package it has only reached Toronto Canada as of july 16. OMG. 30 days to get from Washington State to Toronto. I could have driven down to Washington State to pick up the packadge a hundred times faster.

Ebay needs a west coast facility. If there are to many protocols to go thru with the US postal service ,than Ebay needs to really look at this more closley and figure out a better stratagy.

@crashingcollector 

Most likely your shipment was caught up during the transition.

GSP is/has been phased out as of July 1, 2023. It's been replaced by EIS (Ebay Intl Shipping) with several (???) locations that process these shipment. Sellers that qualify are being enrolled. 2 of the biggest disadvantages of the program is not all items qualify and if shipped will not get to the customer and combined shipping is not an option.

As per blog that could cause issues to items during the transition:

• Opting out of EIS: It appears that sellers can’t specify ahead of time that they don’t want to be migrated to the new eBay International Shipping program, but must opt out after eBay enrolls them.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2023/04/30/ebay-announces-international-shipping-will-replace-gsp-and...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

It's similar with Canada to the USA. I am in Calgary. Recently sent something to Montana(address 5 hrs away by car). Routing which I have no control over would normally be  Calgary..Van...LAX and then indirectly to Montana. My shipment went Calgary...Van...Buffalo NY...Rochester NY...Billings MT...Missoula MT...Noxon MT.  Total transit time 11 days.  Total milage 9214 km. Seems a smidge wasteful or poorly coordinated.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 17 of 17
latest reply