Does the Global Shipping Program use Canada Post priority shipping?

I had a package that just cleared customs in Mississauga, Ontario and is heading to me in Calgary, Alberta. The seller (in the states) used the Global Shipping Program is to ship me it. My estimated time of arrival is unavailable, and all I know is that my package is out for delivery with a Canadian carrier that I think is Canada Post. I was wondering what sort of Canada Post shipping the GSP program uses? Would it be Priority Shipping/Xpresspost, or just treated as a regular parcel? I paid $40 for shipping so I expect to get priority shipping, but I really just want to know when my item will arrive.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

From my past experiences, once the item arrives in Canada it usually gets Expedited attached to it. If you monitor your item's tracking, it should have been updated with the new Canadapost tracking number. Depending on your location you should see delivery Tues or Wed of this week. Any updates will clarify the expected delivery date.

-CM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@yt66t67yt8 wrote:

I had a package that just cleared customs in Mississauga, Ontario and is heading to me in Calgary, Alberta. The seller (in the states) used the Global Shipping Program is to ship me it. My estimated time of arrival is unavailable, and all I know is that my package is out for delivery with a Canadian carrier that I think is Canada Post. I was wondering what sort of Canada Post shipping the GSP program uses? Would it be Priority Shipping/Xpresspost, or just treated as a regular parcel? I paid $40 for shipping so I expect to get priority shipping, but I really just want to know when my item will arrive.

I wish the Global Shipping Program marketing monkeys were a bit more forthcoming about the fact that it's really just a glorified forwarding service.  The seller used the GSP to forward the item to you, not ship it.  The seller chose the shipping method for getting the item out to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  If the seller used a slow shipping method to get the item there, that's going to affect its transit time significantly.  So really, you paid $40 for one leg of US domestic shipping, one leg of forwarding to Canada as freight, and one leg of domestic shipping within Canada.  "Priority" just means "faster than something else" so your item will probably reach you more quickly than if it travelled as freight from Kentucky to Calgary.

I digress.  @lotzofuniquegoodies is correct.  Most items ship from Mississauga as Expedited Parcels, which is a bit faster than regular parcel, so there's your "priority".  If you want more detail than what you're getting from eBay, you can try tracking your item at https://parceltracking.pb.com/ .  After you've entered your tracking number and received the results, there should be an option near the top of the second screen to track your item "on the carrier's website".  Clicking on that should take you to the Canada Post site if Canada Post was indeed used on the Canadian leg of your item's journey.

Keep in mind that all tracking really does is confirm what you already know:  That you either have or haven't received your item.  As it only shows where your item has been and not where it is, it's not always the best indicator of when you're going to receive your item.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

From my past experiences, once the item arrives in Canada it usually gets Expedited attached to it. If you monitor your item's tracking, it should have been updated with the new Canadapost tracking number. Depending on your location you should see delivery Tues or Wed of this week. Any updates will clarify the expected delivery date.

-CM

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@yt66t67yt8 wrote:

I wish the Global Shipping Program marketing monkeys were a bit more forthcoming about the fact that it's really just a glorified forwarding service.  The seller used the GSP to forward the item to you, not ship it.  The seller chose the shipping method for getting the item out to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  If the seller used a slow shipping method to get the item there, that's going to affect its transit time significantly.  So really, you paid $40 for one leg of US domestic shipping, one leg of forwarding to Canada as freight, and one leg of domestic shipping within Canada.  "Priority" just means "faster than something else" so your item will probably reach you more quickly than if it travelled as freight from Kentucky to Calgary.

I digress.  @lotzofuniquegoodies is correct.  Most items ship from Mississauga as Expedited Parcels, which is a bit faster than regular parcel, so there's your "priority".  If you want more detail than what you're getting from eBay, you can try tracking your item at https://parceltracking.pb.com/ .  After you've entered your tracking number and received the results, there should be an option near the top of the second screen to track your item "on the carrier's website".  Clicking on that should take you to the Canada Post site if Canada Post was indeed used on the Canadian leg of your item's journey.

Keep in mind that all tracking really does is confirm what you already know:  That you either have or haven't received your item.  As it only shows where your item has been and not where it is, it's not always the best indicator of when you're going to receive your item.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

My item that ordered shows that it cleared customs on the 19th of Oct, which means that it is in Canada. However, the tracking has stopped at this time. Will eBay get a tracking number from Canada Post at some point?  I know things are slower due to the pandemic, so that is not the issue, just would like to know that it is in the system and not lost.  Has anybody else experienced delays in getting a tracking number after clearing customs?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2018

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them is likely to be out of date and incorrect.

It is best to open a new thread rather than add to a zombie thread.

Your best bet at this time is to contact Pitney Bowes tracking.

Step 1: Go to the Pitney Bowes Parcel Tracker page at https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

Step 2: Enter your eBay-supplied Global Tracking number (mine began with UPAA...)

Step 3: You will be shown limited tracking info. In my case, only up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, in my case Canada Post, with a tracking number in THEIR system.

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided... 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 6 of 6
latest reply