GLOBAL SHIPPING?? Somone help me understand the extra charges

I was charged an extra global shipping change on my order that wasnt posted in the ad, which I was totally unaware of until I checked my bank account. I read a bit about the import charges from usa to canada - and I understand it isn't something new but i've never experienced it in all my orders i've ever ordered from Ebay, and this is a product I order often. Was this just something I struck unluckily through a new seller or is this a thing that's going to be happening from now on with every seller as long as I am ordering from USA to Can? 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

You inadvertently ordered from a seller who is enrolled in the Global Shipping Program. If you made the purchase on a mobile device or smartphone it’s easy to overlook the import fees which are disclosed both on the listing and during checkout. (Unless there was a massive to-date-unreported glitch.)

Your import fees are comprised of sales tax and a handling fee. On the plus side, most sellers enrolled in GSP would not ship outside the borders of their own country without it.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Any import over $20Cdn(~$15US) is supposed to be assessed for duty.

Whether there is duty or not, sales taxes will be charged.

And GSP/Pitney Bowes charges about $5USD for the service.

• Duty is based on place of manufacture, not on where you bought it. So that electronic automatic lemon squeezer (made in China) is dutiable, even if you bought it from a seller in Pennsylvania.
  • If Parliament and Congress ratify the new NAFTA treaty, the duty-free allowance for imports from the USA will rise to $180.
  • Yes, there is duty on gifts, although the duty-free allowance is higher. And if you paid for it, it's not a gift.

CBSA officers often (93% of the time) ignore low value imports because it would cost more to assess minimal amounts of duty and tax than could be collected. This is why your imports delivered by Canada Post have rarely been charged import fees.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

so does ebay charge Americans duty and taxes for items from Canada?

If not thats a scam

rip ebay

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

The USA exemption is $800 US compared to Canada $20 CDN.

USA has no federal sales tax like Canada GST. In the past couple of months, state sales tax are being collected by eBay so USA buyers may pay sales tax on imports from Canada based on the state they live in.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@leaky-bucket-labs

EBay doesn't charge anyone duty and taxes.

Only governments can do that.

EBay charges sellers various fees for listing and selling on their platform which usually are less than 20% of the selling price.

Buyers are charged nothing for using the site.

Paypal charges sellers fees for processing payments, which are usually under 5% of the buyer's payment.

Buyers are charged nothing for using Paypal.

The Global Shipping Program charges buyers an import fee which they use to pay governments duty and taxes, as well as keeping a small service fee for customs brokerage.

Different countries charge different duties and sales taxes. For example, if you import items made in Costa Rico, Chile, Israel or Lichtenstein, there will be no duty, because Canada has Free Trade Agreements with those countries.

If you import similar items from China, you will be charged duty, because Canada has no free trade treaties with China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_trade_agreements_of_Canada

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@tiffancampbel_88 wrote:

I was charged an extra global shipping change on my order that wasnt posted in the ad, which I was totally unaware of until I checked my bank account. I read a bit about the import charges from usa to canada - and I understand it isn't something new but i've never experienced it in all my orders i've ever ordered from Ebay, and this is a product I order often. 

The way I'm reading your post, you're concerned that you saw two separate payments for your item on your bank account statement, one to the seller and one to Pitney Bowes, administrators of the Global Shipping Program.

The good news--if you want to call it that--is that you weren't charged anything after the fact.  In In other words, you weren't charged anything beyond what you paid at Checkout.

The Global Shipping Program works like a forwarding service (because, well, that's what it is).  The seller charges you for shipping the item you purchased to a  hub in Kentucky.  The seller's shipping charge is the same as what they'd charge a US buyer for shipping the item to the same ZIP code.  Pitney Bowes charges you for shipping the item from Kentucky to your location, plus "import charges" that make up the taxes and duty they estimated they'd be paying on your behalf (you're paying them back) plus any customs and processing-related charges, usually around US$5.00.

The two charges show up as being combined at Checkout,  but PayPal separates them.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

If you made the purchase on a mobile device or smartphone it’s easy to overlook the import fees which are disclosed both on the listing and during checkout. (Unless there was a massive to-date-unreported glitch.)

For what it's worth, my recent experience on my laptop is that import charges aren't disclosed on the listing page when viewed on the .com site, even when logged in.  The buyer has to go through Checkout to see 'em.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Huh. The import fees all showed the last time I was actively shopping for things I couldn’t otherwise find here. They still do. Both on my phone and my desktop.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Yeah, that's the weird thing.  The import charges still show up on the listing page on .com when I'm viewing the page on my phone.

Just not my laptop.

Must be another eBay "experiment".

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Is your laptop browser a new version than your desktop, perhaps?
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Not sure it's a browser issue as I get the same results with both Chrome and Edge on my laptop.

For what it's worth, my laptop's version of Chrome was last updated in December, as was my phone's.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

I am also using Chrome, and the import charges have gone "awol", what a sad state of affairs. There really ought to be a law, regarding hidden charges, coming back to bite, unaware buyers.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Are you still able to see the "import charges" on .ca, like I am?

I suspect that eBay or PBI would argue that the "import charges" aren't hidden on the .com site as there is a (buried) heads up that they'll be applied at Checkout, and buyers can bail out when those charges show up there.

I have often changed my shipping location when browsing on the .com site when helping others on the discussion boards there. I'm wondering if this change or experiment reflects the fact that the listing page may initially display different import charges than the Checkout page.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

The import charges now show up on .ca using chrome, all is good again. I do feel pain for the buyers having to constantly keep an eye out for the various extra charges these days. 

It's a bit of a mess right now as some US states are getting ebay to start charging taxes, and others are not yet following suit.

Interesting times indeed.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

As a buyer I routinely receive items from the US. It is rare to receive a duty notice. Strangely, the only two duty notices I've received in the last three years both arrived during the recent Canada rotational strike. Somebody wanted to make a point and used postal customers to do it. And both items were less than fifty dollars in value which made the events hilarious. I am used to items valued in excess of one hundred dollars and less than three hundred arriving duty free. It's been that way for years. And that's where the Global Shipping Program deserves attention. If you're a US seller using the expensive Global Shipping Program for items less than fifty dollars in value it's unlikely you'll have me, a Canadian, as a customer.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I did a search on the .com boards and the general consensus there from sellers who have seen it all is that sellers should avoid GSP.

So, even across the borders many sellers don't think it's worth a hill of beans.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:

I did a search on the .com boards and the general consensus there from sellers who have seen it all is that sellers should avoid GSP.

So, even across the borders many sellers don't think it's worth a hill of beans.

Well, that "consensus" is from posters who are familiar with the program and have bothered to post something about it.

Recent posts like this one suggest there are still sellers out there who have no idea that the program exists, how the program operates, or that they're enrolled in it:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/1850-airport-exchange-blvd/qaq-p/29424409

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

And both items were less than fifty dollars in value which made the events hilarious.

The duty-free allowance remains at $20Cdn. When the new NAFTA agreement is ratified by Parliament and by Congress, this will rise to $140Cdn (~$105US) BUT taxes will be assessed on items valued over $40Cdn.

CBSA has made a (mildly illegal) policy of ignoring small packages valued under ~$100 because it would actually cost more to assess import fees than could be collected. 

Private companies like UPS and PitneyBowes/GSP cannot do that. They have to assess everything.

It does interest me that GSP charges about ~$5US to do this, Canada Post charges $9.95 to collect items shipped through the postal system, but UPS and other couriers feel they need $25 or more for exactly the same service.

Which is another kettle of monkeys.

If you're a US seller using the expensive Global Shipping Program for items less than fifty dollars in value

When the program was initiated for a short time eBay was telling sellers not to use it for items for less than $50. But they never added one of those warning to sellers boxes , the kind they use on sensitive material like stamps, Native American, or Nazi items, to remind sellers that using the GSP on these is not a good idea.

If the new NAFTA does get ratified, a lot of these questions are going to disappear. Of course, there will be lots of  questions about sales tax (and the $5 service fee) to keep us amused.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

And both items were less than fifty dollars in value which made the events hilarious.

The duty-free allowance remains at $20Cdn. When the new NAFTA agreement is ratified by Parliament and by Congress, this will rise to $140Cdn (~$105US) BUT taxes will be assessed on items valued over $40Cdn.

CBSA has made a (mildly illegal) policy of ignoring small packages valued under ~$100 because it would actually cost more to assess import fees than could be collected. 

Private companies like UPS and PitneyBowes/GSP cannot do that. They have to assess everything.

It does interest me that GSP charges about ~$5US to do this, Canada Post charges $9.95 to collect items shipped through the postal system, but UPS and other couriers feel they need $25 or more for exactly the same service.

Which is another kettle of monkeys.

If you're a US seller using the expensive Global Shipping Program for items less than fifty dollars in value

When the program was initiated for a short time eBay was telling sellers not to use it for items for less than $50. But they never added one of those warning to sellers boxes , the kind they use on sensitive material like stamps, Native American, or Nazi items, to remind sellers that using the GSP on these is not a good idea.

If the new NAFTA does get ratified, a lot of these questions are going to disappear. Of course, there will be lots of  questions about sales tax (and the $5 service fee) to keep us amused.

I do not think it is the cost of processing the items and receiving less in duties and taxes. I think it is manpower. Just not enough agents to do the paperwork and a huge amount of parcels incoming. I think the agents are so busy scanning incoming parcels for illegals items or goods that there is not much time to access taxes and duties on the parcels. With the rise of the fentanyl crisis in the past years, manpower was most likely transferred from accessing duties and taxes to scanning parcels.

The world postal system is going to electronic declaration of shipments in the sending country and I can see one day that the senders customs declaration will be read in the receiving country and that used to process duties and taxes automatically with no human intervention (only for problem parcels). The Canadian government will get a huge windfall when this happens as well as other countries with low VAT taxes and duties. Of course, the sender has to declare properly or the buyer will get accessed incorrectly and it will be up to the buyer to fill out forms to get it corrected.

Another alternative is what Australia is doing. The major vendors (eBay, Amazon, etc.) have to collect sales taxes and submit to Australia. Which is an easy solution for world governments. But Australia has a high duty free exemption of $1,000 (no longer VAT) so they do not have to worry about customs processing. A compromise to get sales tax money without the hassle of figuring out duties because of  so many classifications.

As for couriers as you said, they have to process all goods properly or get into trouble. Their processing rates are high because it most likely reflects the true costs of processing every shipment and maintaining records for years. Buyers think their rates are outrageous and they are ripping them off for extra money but more than likely it covers the cost of processing a parcel. Remember the Post Office fee of $9.95 is just for collecting the customs duties and taxes due as accessed by the CBSA free of charge. Canada Post does not do the assessment so there is no way you can compare the fees charged by a courier to the processing fee by Canada Post.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply