Global Shipping Program Scam!

This GSP is getting super annoying and I refuse to buy from US sellers that opt for this program. The issue here is that Ebay forces you to use the GSP and charges duties and taxes on your item, even when it's low value. According to the Canadian legislation a buyer has the right to self-clear goods at the nearest CBSA office! The shipping company has the obligation to send the self-clear documents to the buyer within a reasonable timeframe! 

With Ebay they force you into the GSP (with no other option) and that is illegal! 

DHL has already been in the news for charging COD fees to customers on items that are low in value and I've been in that situation as well. I told them that I wanted to self-clear my goods and that I refuse to pay any COD fees since I didn't consent to have them act as my broker. Reluctantly they sent me the documents and I went to my nearest CBSA office and guess what? I had to pay sweet Fudge all for import/duties/taxes!!!

I wish ebay would give a buyer the option for the GSP program because I wouldn't use it at all! With the GSP my good from the US will take 3 weeks average to get here in Canada. With USPS it takes about 1 week. Heck, goods from China arrive here within 2 weeks and there's an ocean between us! 

Sorry US sellers but if you're using the GSP then you won't have my business anymore!

BTW, I contacted Ebay customer service and the only thing they can say about it is that they're sorry for the inconvenience! LMFAO! 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Global Shipping Program Scam!

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

There is only one person here which isn't friendly and respectful, who only came here ranting and totally dissing out other people.  Do you need pointers to help moderate?  Anywhere else, that user would have been banned...

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

LOL! because I have an opinion about the GSP members like yourself try to belittle me and insult me on this forum but I'm the one that isn't friendly or respectful because I fire back at you? People like you are looking out for post like mine so you can troll them and spam them with derogatory comments. Well, you have the right to do that but don't start crying when I return the favor!

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

"I absolutely do not understand how you can agree with the GSP. Do all of you really like to pay more for items?"

why would/can I agree to something I do not use? I DO NOT purchase ANY ITEM from a USA seller who uses any method of shipping but USPS ... and I do not order ANYTHING from the USA if I can find it here in Canada - even IF I have to pay MORE for that item located in Canada, I will do so rather than purchase from the USA.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@joeyarrows "Ebay seems to be the only thing in life that excites you... you made that clear."

Really, OK if ya say so, but seeing as I have over 18K Items sold as a Seller &  have 1,962 Feedback received as a BUYER I know a little bit more about ebay that you...

@joeyarrows "And the way you support the GSP and try to belittle me is amazing...."

Really, I never purchased from any Seller using the GSP and you have "bellittled" only yourself, sweetie!!

@joeyarrows "I wish you'd put the same amount of dedication in your personal life. Maybe then you don't have to wait on your computer for a post to show up you don't like."

Maybe you should seek help for your passive/aggresive personality disorder instead of calling people names and ...

...because you do not like the responses you are getting, no one FORCES you to use the Global Shipping Program you do have the choice to shop elsewhere...

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Never mind. Siding with authority is a national weakness, and some of the people here exemplify it perfectly. Try complaining about poor service in a store or restaurant... in the UK and the US other customers support you, in Canada they gang up on you.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@joeyarrows 

Sadly or unfortunately shopping on eBay (with US sellers) became basically a 3 strike program. I tested GSP when I first discovered. When I found out how slow/unreliable and expensive it was I ran away from US sellers as soon as I found them. At first would try messaging and asking for standard run of the mill USPS. When that no longer happened I switched to buying from Canadian eBay sellers (when/if I could find what I was looking for) or other sources. Strike 1. 2nd strike was the switch to MP and not having available funds in PayPal/having a record of purchases I could easily track if I went back to PayPal. No longer possible when it was routed through eBay. Last minor strike was eBay Bucks. Was nice to have the tiny perk to shop with. It wasn't a boatload but it helped convince me at times to seal the deal.

Because these programs(in their various aberrations)  have become the defacto (defecto) method for US sellers to ship, the associated shipping cost rarely justifies the purchase. Big time on low value items.  Many other long time regular buyers that I've spoken to feel the same way. Just how it is. All it took was a buyer to have 1/2 bad experiences with these programs before they ran to the hills screaming into the night. In connection with the recently announced program, it has been stated that it should/would make shipping cheaper for buyers. As far as I can see it (going by the Coles Notes version, the savings are only for the sellers if reduced fees for shipping. Buyers to reap? Not likely!!

-Lotz

PS. As a side, on GSP help page on dot com it was  noted that a seller could opt out on a per listing basis. Many sellers in my discussions with them told me that they were unaware it was possible or just said they couldn't be bothered. They may have felt differently if they understood the extra cost at the buyers end. Unfortunately that was NEVER explained to them by eBay. (Crazy revenue streams!!!)

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I have used GSP a couple of times over the years, but it was for items I knew I could not obtain otherwise, or that it would have cost even more to ship directly because of size/weight (you need a little bit of experience to gauge this, but I've been a user for more than 20 years).  Sometimes it went right, others it went wrong.  Like any other shipping options...
When I didn't feel it was a good bargain, I simply didn't buy the item.  It happened again last week with a magazine, which is really not the type of item fit to use the GSP!  Did I come here ranting about it?  No.  Because I have a life outside the internet, and I can go for years without buying on eBay.  My life doesn't depend on it...

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

“hear ye, hear ye,”

Message 29 of 29
latest reply