Heads Up!....Global Shipping Program no longer displays import charges..

fort2b
Community Member

In the item description, the GSP no longer shows import charges, just the shipping cost.  The buyer won't know he's going to be charged import charges, which are often way higher than they should be, until after he/she has bought.   Expect some angry buyers if you use GSP.

This probably won't effect many Canadian sellers as I doubt many of us use GSP but for those that do, beware.   The US and UK sellers, many of whom do use GSP,  are going to get a lot of angry buyers from this change.  Nice surprise charge after you've committed to buy.  Cool.

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

Re: Heads Up!....Global Shipping Program no longer displays import charges..

@oragex wrote:

From what I've seen, Ebay has drastically dropped/eliminated  GPS import fees from US to Canada.  Before I would have a $15 item with import fees, now a $60 phone has $0 import charges.  These $0 charges don't change when the item is purchased/being paid. 

Btw, as mentioned one has to shop on Ebay.ca to have these charges displayed as these won't show when browsing on the Ebay.com site from Canada.

Thanks for posting the example.  (I have a soft spot for Windows phones, BTW.)  

Keep in mind that it's not so much that the import charges have been eliminated as much as they've just been folded into the shipping charges.  I've purchased a couple of phones that were forwarded through the GSP and while import charges were listed on them, the shipping charge also was less than half of what they are for that Lumia.

Message 161 of 164
latest reply

here is one from 13Nov2019
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MICHAEL-KORS-JET-SET-TRAVEL-CONTINENTAL-LARGE-WALLET-WRISTLET-Blossom/193045...

highway robbery and total crap. once more Canadian consumers get taken
what kind of crap is this.
Hey buy our stuff but hold on, once you commit we take you for whatever we want?!!!!
Message 162 of 164
latest reply

Ifs unlikely that there are going to be any import charges on that wallet but if they are the buyer will see them when they click on buy it now, before they commit to but. You could also put it in a cart to confirm that there are no import charges.  

This thread is from a couple of years ago. It’s likely they’ve changed the way they display import charges a couple of times since then.

Message 163 of 164
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 164 of 164
latest reply