Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

I AM MAD, ebay, and I want answers: Global Shipping Program

"However, you could ask that the seller set up a private listing for you, using your name as the title, with USPS First Class International Shipping. This service offers Delivery Confirmation (at least to Canada) and products up to four pounds ."

Don't believe I'll be the last one but ....... please explain.

Message 1081 of 3,104
latest reply

If the item is worth $25 (USD) to me and it is listed for $14, then there is no issue. If the item is worth $22 FOB my location, and made in the USA (Micro-Trains are manufactured in the US and are exempt from duty in Canada) and sells for $15, if shipping is $20 and I buy four, I am still OK. HST is 13%, so add $2.60 per unit and things are still reasonable. Assume $20 shipping and $5 per "import fees" and we are at $25, close to what the item sold for new (with HST included), but still livable for a discontinued item. However, when the shipping is $35, the whole thing breaks down, because now the item is selling for more than local list for a new item. The seller said he would ship for his shipping cost, but I've since discovered he has no control over that short of cancelling his auction and re listing sans GSP. So, when I bid, there was no way for me to know that I was going to be paying above list price for a used item, and in my book, that's not a way to do business. I buy thousands of dollars of product via ebay each year, but the GSP is making me seriously reconsider this. Thank you for clarifying though! 🙂
Message 1082 of 3,104
latest reply

I've had bad experiences using the cart, when I last tried to use it I wound up paying individual shipping for each item; three $4 books ended up costing me almost $38 FOB my home! I'm not sure if it was the way the seller set it up or a bug, but all three books arrived in the same package.
Message 1083 of 3,104
latest reply

@fpa4 wrote:
I've had bad experiences using the cart, when I last tried to use it I wound up paying individual shipping for each item; three $4 books ended up costing me almost $38 FOB my home! I'm not sure if it was the way the seller set it up or a bug, but all three books arrived in the same package.

Interesting and sorry to hear of the bad experience.

Heavy books seemed to be one of the very few decent deals on shipping I've noticed with the GSP.

It's not surprising that the cart may not work well for GSP listings, though, considering all it's other hoops and problems for sellers and buyers.

It's generally become a time waster for me just trying to avoid the GSP listings, so my interest in any ebay purchases has dropped. 

It has been interesting to see how such a poorly introduced and ever changing program can screw up so many buyers and sellers, sadly. 

Message 1084 of 3,104
latest reply

I could have lived with it had the books been heavy hardcovers, but they were pulp paperbacks, three volumes of "The Boxcar Children" for my son. I agree, I'm starting to look elsewhere as well.
Message 1085 of 3,104
latest reply

Well I have never felt the need to post here, but it seems I can't directly contact anyone from ebay to get to the bottom of something that really angers me: the Global Shipping Program!

Now, sure they charge extra 'import' fees that actually are not required, and generally overcharge for shipping PERIOD, but I have now personally experienced what I have only heard about on youtube: the folks at ebay who receive the packages for further shipping?  Well, they REMOVED THE INCH OF PADDING the seller provided to keep my items SAFE, and then simply stuck them in a flimsy PLASTIC BAG, and then stuffed it into a TIGHT FITTING BOX.  And guess what?  My 'new' items, as described? Arrived with crushed corners and damage to the boxes! 

Why did ebay do this?  I have communicated with the seller and he confirms he packaged these items, yet they arrived with GSP's plastic wrap and a virtual guarantee that my items would be damaged during shipping!  I took a chance, and I believe that I got burned, even though I knew the chances of what was going to happen were there.

WHY do you do this, ebay?  And WHO can I open a complaint with to ensure you guys REFUND ME the damages your repacking (read, REMOVAL OF PACKING MATERIALS) caused?  Oh, don't worry: I've taken plenty of photos and there's no doubt this occurred.  So WHY, ebay?  And more importantly, what are you going to DO to make this right?  Anger doesn't begin to describe what I'm feeling right now...no wonder ebay's reputation has steadily declined!  Who would have thought it could get any worse?  Well, they FOUND A WAY, what a joke!

Message 1086 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi! I have a problem. Item cost is 9$, it shows that I have to pay 15 on shipping and 9 on customs. I know it's impossible as Canadian customs does not charge customs on anything less than 9$. Seller agreed to sell for 19$ with shipping included, but she can't change shipping to free with 19 $ price. When I try to BIN so she can send invoice message shows up that I must agree to Global shipping and it says "total 35$". What am I supposed to do? Do not buy anything from anyone with global shipping?! I want to pay money to seller and get my item, I do not want to pay to Pitney for customs that does not exist or like they call it in agreement "third party broker fees" for handling, preparing documentation, blah blah. Which documentation?! One customs form that you can fill in in any post office for free?!
Message 1087 of 3,104
latest reply

WHY do you do this, ebay?  And WHO can I open a complaint with to ensure you guys REFUND ME the damages your repacking (read, REMOVAL OF PACKING MATERIALS) caused?

The remedy is simple. Open a not as described case stating items were damaged in transit, and you will be refunded, the seller will keep the money he got, and you get to keep the damaged items, no return to sender required.

Message 1088 of 3,104
latest reply

What was the item number.

One customs form that you can fill in in any post office for free?!

Customs documentation for GSP items is much more complicated.  They are not sent by post and the simple CN22 form is only for postal imports.

Message 1089 of 3,104
latest reply

I think they have found another method to make a few more dollars.  You are the importer if they are any fees customs will let you know when you pick up your package at the post office.  If they charge an import fee and you also have to pay duty at the post office I think they should be responsable to pay this amount for you.

Message 1090 of 3,104
latest reply

You are the importer if they are any fees customs will let you know when you pick up your package at the post office.  If they charge an import fee and you also have to pay duty at the post office I think they should be responsable to pay this amount for you.

GSP items are not imported by post. Neither is the buyer the importer, PB is.

Message 1091 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi atarilovesyou. 

You have a similar post over in the "Questions ...." thread. I posted a rather long answer over there, so I won't repeat here. But here is a link if you (or other Community members) want to take a look. Hope it helps. (My reply is message #2917)

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Comments-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/m-p/227810#M163...

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread if a GSP item arrives damaged definitely file a "not as described" case. That is how you can make it "official", notifying both eBay and Pitney Bowes and starting the refund process. 

Hope that helps. 

---Bennett

Message 1092 of 3,104
latest reply

@aminomar79 wrote:
Hi! I have a problem. Item cost is 9$, it shows that I have to pay 15 on shipping and 9 on customs. I know it's impossible as Canadian customs does not charge customs on anything less than 9$. Seller agreed to sell for 19$ with shipping included, but she can't change shipping to free with 19 $ price. When I try to BIN so she can send invoice message shows up that I must agree to Global shipping and it says "total 35$". What am I supposed to do? Do not buy anything from anyone with global shipping?! I want to pay money to seller and get my item, I do not want to pay to Pitney for customs that does not exist or like they call it in agreement "third party broker fees" for handling, preparing documentation, blah blah. Which documentation?! One customs form that you can fill in in any post office for free?!

I'm curious about the item number too as there shouldn't be import charges on a $9 item. If the seller wants to send the item directly to you using USPS and not go through the gsp they can send you an invoice directly through paypal.

Message 1093 of 3,104
latest reply

Can they cancel the GPS once the auction is closed?
Message 1094 of 3,104
latest reply

@fpa4 wrote:
Can they cancel the GPS once the auction is closed?

No, they can't. But if the seller is willing to send the item directly to you rather than through the gsp, they can send an invoice directly through Paypal with a non gsp shipping price.

Message 1095 of 3,104
latest reply

Wow EBay, first time ive gone to use you in a while and now this cash-grab.

Did the genius who thought this up stop to consider that <$50 you won't get dinged by customs?  But nope, it stays in the US listings.

Brutal. Experience.

Message 1096 of 3,104
latest reply

"No, they can't. But if the seller is willing to send the item directly to you rather than through the gsp, they can send an invoice directly through Paypal with a non gsp shipping price."

A little older & a little wiser than yesterday but so help me, I just can't wrap my mind around this one. Can you explain with a little more details how this would work?  Thanks 

Message 1097 of 3,104
latest reply

"Can you explain with a little more details how this would work?"

1) Seller sends a PayPal invoice (Request Money) to the buyer for the amount of the item and shipping charge through USPS (ignoring GSP).

2) Buyer pays seller the amount requested

3) Seller ships the item directly to the Canadian buyer through USPS

4) After shipping, the seller updates the status to "paid (through PayPal) and shipped".  The seller may consider giving feedback at that time.

5) Buyer receives item - may have to pay taxes (GST/HST/PST) and brokerage fee ($9.95) to Canada Post at time of delivery or pick-up if Canada Customs assess taxes (that is possible for all shipments with value exceeding Cdn$20.00) . 

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

6 If the item is satisfactory, the buyer may consider giving feedback at that time.

Message 1098 of 3,104
latest reply

"Can you explain with a little more details how this would work?"

The procedure as you described is clear enough but is this for a non-GSP listing or a means to circumvent a GSP listing while listed?

The impression I had from pjcdn2005, the responder, was that it was a GSP item/listing, that's the confusing thing.

For the sake of clarity, a reply from you or pjcdn2005 would be appreciated.

Thanks to each

Message 1099 of 3,104
latest reply

"a means to circumvent a GSP listing while listed?"

That is correct, if the seller agrees to do it..

Message 1100 of 3,104
latest reply