Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

It also appears that both sellers are unaware that they are participating in the GSP

It would be kind to let the sellers know. Give them your postal code so they can see what you do. (If you need a second postal code give K1A 0A6 , which is the House of Commons here in Ottawa. Different tax rate, I think, which may give the sellers more to think about. )

Politely.--- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2901 of 6,171
latest reply

Has anybody mentioned the practice of Pitney Bowes (or whoever does their shipping) to remove the original packing material, only to send the item on its way with NO protection other than the cardboard box?

Do they REALLY need to save money?  I mean, I've already overpaid for the shipping (which the GSP does, and has done, with each purchase I"ve done...thankfully, not many), but then at least let the seller send me something safely packed!

I swear I will not buy one more item from any seller using the GSP.  A shame, but I hope more seller wise up to this joke of a program.

Message 2902 of 6,171
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

Compare your example to those from item below.  Note buy it now price, deduct gst, compare what PB make on each. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181390136128

How do you or I or anybody know that this is a NAFTA-produced item from reading the listing page?

Go back to the earlier posts from AFAntiques and PJcdn2005 on the reason why the item has to be specified as being manufactured in a NAFTA country in order to get some slack cut in the duty department.

Message 2903 of 6,171
latest reply

@1049-and-bracket wrote:

Here are 2 more examples of ridiculous import charges:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-DIESEL-Mens-Vintage-boot-cut-Jeans-ZATINY-73N-Dark-blue-Denim-30-L-/2312...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mens-Diesel-Zatiny-73N-Dark-Blue-Boot-Cut-Jeans-Trousers-/141151961537?p...

In the first auction I am getting a shipping quote of $11.49 and import charges of $59.53 to Manitoba on a US $169.99 item.

In the second auction I am getting a shipping quote of $11.37 and import charges of $55.44 to Manitoba on a US $157.50 item.

It also appears that both sellers are unaware that they are participating in the GSP as both descriptions state USPS shipping to international locations.

According to the "Item Specifics" section of the listing, the first pair of jeans was manufactured in Morocco, while the second pair doesn't state a country of manufacture.  As a result, both pairs of jeans are getting hit with duty as well as taxes.

Sellers unaware that they're listing with the GSP doesn't appear to be an unusual situation, unfortunately. 

Message 2904 of 6,171
latest reply

@atarilovesyou wrote:

Has anybody mentioned the practice of Pitney Bowes (or whoever does their shipping) to remove the original packing material, only to send the item on its way with NO protection other than the cardboard box?

Do they REALLY need to save money?  I mean, I've already overpaid for the shipping (which the GSP does, and has done, with each purchase I"ve done...thankfully, not many), but then at least let the seller send me something safely packed!

I swear I will not buy one more item from any seller using the GSP.  A shame, but I hope more seller wise up to this joke of a program.

This has been mentioned every so often.  There should be a note with an opened GSP package explaining why it was opened.  Usually it's because the seller didn't bother to mention the item's country of manufacturer so the item has to be inspected to see if that information can be determined.

The lone GSP item I purchased was opened but it appears that the seller's package was kept.  There was some bubble padding in the envelope but I don't know if that was put in by the seller or by the Global Shipping Center.

Message 2905 of 6,171
latest reply

How do you or I or anybody know that this is a NAFTA-produced item from reading the listing page?

Go back to the site you quoted & review all items and compare the import charge of those that show or say "made in USA"  against them that do not.  Those listed with "made in USA"  will probably have a import charge of about 6% of the list price.  Those not "made in USA" the percentage of the import charge should be considerable high than 6%.  It does not mean that the other items are not "made in USA" it just means seller did not list the correct way.  

Message 2906 of 6,171
latest reply

For well over a year or more posters to this thread have requested that PB provide buyers with  details re how much tax and duty is being calculated and included in the "import charges" for individual GSP listings. 

This would show as a breakdown of costs under "import charges".

Hardly onerous considering we know it comprises the following: tax, duty (if applicable) and a program fee. 

For the life of me I can't understand why PB can't provide full disclosure of these charges at time of purchase.  

Hardly too much to ask, is it? 

Unbelievable that this is not being provided. 

Message 2907 of 6,171
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

Go back to the site you quoted & review all items and compare the import charge of those that show or say "made in USA"  against them that do not.  Those listed with "made in USA"  will probably have a import charge of about 6% of the list price.  Those not "made in USA" the percentage of the import charge should be considerable high than 6%.  It does not mean that the other items are not "made in USA" it just means seller did not list the correct way.  

Again, where does it say anywhere in the listing for the duck call that it's "made in the USA"?  Even in the listing description?  Nowhere!  

Information on an item's country of manufacture has to be included in the "Item Specifics" section of a listing in order for there to be any hope of duty being correctly calculated on a GSP item.  Including an item's country of manufacture in the "Item Specifics" section is actually a program rule for sellers using the GSP.   If you've been following any of the other discussions on the two GSP threads, you'll see that this is tougher done than said because Arlene_v has figured out that there are two fields for this, one of which works properly and one which doesn't.

As for your 6% rule, here is an item that's not made in a NAFTA country nor is the country of manufacture specified.  What are your thoughts on what's leftover after GST, etc. is taken off the import charges?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221422816724

Message 2908 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@mwc1942 wrote:

Again, where does it say anywhere in the listing for the duck call that it's "made in the USA"?  Even in the listing description?  Nowhere!  

Information on an item's country of manufacture has to be included in the "Item Specifics" section of a listing in order for there to be any hope of duty being correctly calculated on a GSP item.  Including an item's country of manufacture in the "Item Specifics" section is actually a program rule for sellers using the GSP.   If you've been following any of the other discussions on the two GSP threads, you'll see that this is tougher done than said because Arlene_v has figured out that there are two fields for this, one of which works properly and one which doesn't.

If PB can't get their act together and figure out how to deal with the huge issue of duty, then they should not be surprised when buyers begin to think in terms of a scam.
 It takes exactly 30 seconds of googling to find out that this duck is made in the USA.
Second, the parcel will need to be opened in Erlanger, KY if sold via the GSP, and, the place of manufacture somehow determined, and entered along with the HS code for customs purposes.
SURPRISE! There will no longer be duty on this item once the place of manufacture is determined to be the US if this has been purchased by a person living in Canada. But the Canadian buyer has prepaid this,  based on "worst case scenario" due to lack of seller info in the listing, and there is no refund under the GSP.
 The optics look really bad, don't they? 
Message 2909 of 6,171
latest reply

Oh and another thing, according to the CBSA site the following is true: 

"If the goods you are importing are for personal use and the item is marked "made in Canada, the USA, or Mexico", or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than Canada, the USA, or Mexico, you do not need to pay duties on those goods."

Interesting. 

Message 2910 of 6,171
latest reply

If the goods you are importing are for personal use and the item is marked "made in Canada, the USA, or Mexico", or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than Canada, the USA, or Mexico, you do not need to pay duties on those goods.

GSP goods are not , technically, imported for personal use. The importer is PB Inc, and the use is not personal but 'in the normal course of business'. Only after import clearance are they sorted for delivery to individuals.

Message 2911 of 6,171
latest reply

Oh and another thing, according to the CBSA site the following is true: 

"If the goods you are importing are for personal use

and the item is marked "made in Canada, the USA, or Mexico",

or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than Canada, the USA, or Mexico, you do not need to pay duties on those goods."

Interesting.  (my italics)

But again, it is necessary for the seller (who signed up for GSP believing it would be LESS work than direct international shipping) to make the origin of the item apparent.

Since so many have not even read enough to learn that they should not be using GSP for items under $50 , this is a weakness.

My only suggestion would be that the Sell Your Item form refuse to list with GSP unless the country of manufacture is filled. Still subject to laziness and error, but an improvement.

And while the eBay programmers are at it, they could put the same block in place if the Fixed Price items are sold for under $50.

Lord, give me the serenity. That's it, just the Serenity. -- Browncoat Prayer.

Message 2912 of 6,171
latest reply

I would advise everyone not to buy from sellers using the eBay Global Shipping Program! Pitney Bowes Inc doesn't give a **bleep** about buyers! I bought 2 items from 2 different sellers and Pitney Bowes Inc put my packages on hold for content review! Their excuse was because of Lithium Batteries! However, the items I bought does not have Lithium Batteries! My packages are still in the US after 19 days and they keep telling me they are waiting for the new tracking number! I had waited for a full week and still no tracking number!! Total lying scam!

And what gives them the rights to open and repackage peoples properties? They are not Customs! They should not be opening, repackaging or open the package for content reviews!!

The GSP is a total scam! I've heard from other buyers that they will damage your items and no compensation can be claimed with them! And if you return the item back to the seller, you cannot get the full refund of the shipping cost you paid for and you will also have to pay for the shipping charges to ship back to the seller!!

That was the last time I will ever buy anything from a seller using this fraud program!! 

I would advise everyone to do the same thing so you won't be scammed by these greedy f%$kers!!

Message 2913 of 6,171
latest reply

The GSP is a total scam! I've heard from other buyers that they will damage your items and no compensation can be claimed with them!

Open item not received claims for each item. Compensation for damaged items is in fact better than normal seller protection as there is no need to return damaged items.

Do not believe stuff you read on the internet without triple checking and still remaining sceptical.

Message 2914 of 6,171
latest reply

@oversea_sella wrote:

And what gives them the rights to open and repackage peoples properties? They are not Customs! They should not be opening, repackaging or open the package for content reviews!!

Pitney Bowes claims that "regulatory law" obligates them to open packages in certain circumstances.  See this page for more information:

http://support.pb.com/ekip/index?page=freeform&id=FR194

Message 2915 of 6,171
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

My only suggestion would be that the Sell Your Item form refuse to list with GSP unless the country of manufacture is filled. Still subject to laziness and error, but an improvement.

Lord, give me the serenity. That's it, just the Serenity. -- Browncoat Prayer.

I agree, this is such a simple solution ...so what are eBay and PB waiting for ... do something about this already! 

Message 2916 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello oversea_sella, atarilovesyou, et. al.

First off, thanks to the Community (and especially marnotom!) for providing such good counsel. 

I just wanted to add a quick two cents, and provide a couple links, on some of the most recent comments. Apologies if some of this is a repeat of info found elsewhere in the thread. 

Here is a link to the Pitney Bowes website page, with info about their role in the GSP process (including why packages are occasionally opened for inspection)

http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

Any time a buyer receives a damaged item, a "not as described" case should be opened (same as with a non-GSP transaction). It is certainly in Pitney Bowes' best interest to repack items as carefully as possible, as if it is determined that the damaged occurred after the item arrived at the US Shipping Center a portion of the refund would come out of their pocket. It is also worth noting (and this is neither defense or condemnation of Pitney Bowes) that, while there are certainly cases where items arrive to the buyer damaged, there are also cases where items arrive at the US Shipping Center in damaged condition with little or no packaging material.

No one likes to receive a damaged item. And while the item itself (in good condition) is always preferable, it is worth noting that both buyer and seller are "made whole" any time Pitney Bowes is found to be at fault (this includes damaged incurred during handling by "last mile" carriers).

Once a case is filed ("not as described" or "item not received") both buyer and seller are entitled to full refunds, including all GSP Program Fees. A more thorough account of all of this can be found at the following page:

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

arlene_v: the detailed account of how fees are broken out is still something we are working on. Progress is ... choosing my words carefully ... maddeningly slow. 

As always, if anyone has a specific transaction they would like me to look into please send me a private message. Please  include transaction #, item #, + eBay user id and email address used in the transaction. 

Lastly (and to borrow a phrase from earlier in this reply ....) this information is offered as neither defense nor condemnation of the GSP. One of the reasons we (meaning eBay) participate in these discussions is to take the temperature, and then use what we discover to try and make changes to the Program. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 2917 of 6,171
latest reply

Pitney Powes, I want my moneys back! 

My payment was 4.9$ and 23.82$ to Pitney Powes!! What a heck. Seller can't return the difference because, Pitney Powes took the rest.

I never heard of this before. I've been here almost ten years now. What I can do?

I wonder how much Pitney Powes get these false payments?

Harri

Message 2918 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@oversea_sella wrote:

Pitney Bowes claims that "regulatory law" obligates them to open packages in certain circumstances.  See this page for more information:

http://support.pb.com/ekip/index?page=freeform&id=FR194

I claim they have NO business dealing in my business. They can spout whatever they want. I have tried one auction thru them,

i saw what it is, and ebay and PB will never see another penny from me again. I read explanations upon explanations of what

it is supposed to be, it's all **bleep**.  They have no business in my dealings, and have no business hijacking an item i bought

from a seller and opening it and giving it to courriers etc etc etc etc.  Total and complete farce and scam.

Please ebay, send me another survey about your service to answer, please.

I do not eat at restaurants where the waitress tells me what to eat.

Message 2919 of 6,171
latest reply

@dgour98 wrote:

I claim they have NO business dealing in my business. They can spout whatever they want. I have tried one auction thru them,

i saw what it is, and ebay and PB will never see another penny from me again. I read explanations upon explanations of what

it is supposed to be, it's all **bleep**.  They have no business in my dealings, and have no business hijacking an item i bought

from a seller and opening it and giving it to courriers etc etc etc etc.  Total and complete farce and scam.

Please ebay, send me another survey about your service to answer, please.

I do not eat at restaurants where the waitress tells me what to eat.

You say you've read "explanations upon explanations" but did you read the terms and conditions that one is supposed to agree to  before committing to purchase an item shipped through the GSP?  Just wondering.

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

I just find it odd that you have all these concerns after you agreed to those T&C.

Message 2920 of 6,171
latest reply