Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Why are import charges to Canada being added on for articles made in North America (NAFTA) ?

"If the seller did not list which country the item was made in and you did pay duty, you cannot receive a credit."

Under terms of the GSP, Item 2[h][vi],  it reads, "You will accurately specify, where possible, each Parcel's weight and dimensions plus the item's country of manufacture (if known) in your listing."  Should the term "where possible" or "if known" applies, in effect the seller has followed the terms and conditions of the GSP.  Have they not?

Other thoughts:

Does "in your listing"  mean it is be visible for all to see, including buyers or just for seller & eBay/PB?                                                                                                       

Message 1021 of 3,104
latest reply

Why are import charges to Canada being added on for articles made in North America (NAFTA) ?

@mwc1942 wrote:

"1. Items under C$20 are not charged import fees under the gsp."

Would you be kind a point out where that is stated?

Thanks

You will have to go to Canada Customs to find that. I have no idea where it is specifically written but the import law is that when importing merchandise by mail, there is no duty or tax charged if the item is below $20 Canadian. It is not a gsp rule but the gsp should follow the Canadian import laws. For the most part, those laws are followed although there is probably the occasional mistake.

Message 1022 of 3,104
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

"If the seller did not list which country the item was made in and you did pay duty, you cannot receive a credit."

Under terms of the GSP, Item 2[h][vi],  it reads, "You will accurately specify, where possible, each Parcel's weight and dimensions plus the item's country of manufacture (if known) in your listing."  Should the term "where possible" or "if known" applies, in effect the seller has followed the terms and conditions of the GSP.  Have they not?

Other thoughts:

Does "in your listing"  mean it is be visible for all to see, including buyers or just for seller & eBay/PB?                                                                                                       

The buyer would definitely not be able to see the parcel dimensions. Some of the sellers show the country of origin in their item details but I've heard (but can't confirm) that when sellers are doing a label for a gsp sale, they are asked for the dimensions and country of origin. But...based on stories that I've heard, it doesn't seem that they require the seller to give that info..they ask for it, but don't insist that it be entered.

Message 1023 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You will have to go to Canada Customs to find that. I have no idea where it is specifically written but the import law is that when importing merchandise by mail, there is no duty or tax charged if the item is below $20 Canadian. It is not a gsp rule but the gsp should follow the Canadian import laws. For the most part, those laws are followed although there is probably the occasional mistake.

I've bolded the key words in your post, Pjcdn.  As far as I've been able to find out, there's nothing that impels a commercial carrier to abide by the "$20 rule" because, as you say, it applies to items sent by mail.  The GSP is not the mail, and neither are carriers such as DHL or FedEX, although these carriers may use the postal system on the "last leg" of an item's journey.  (When I lived in a remote location on Vancouver Island, items shipped by FedEx, etc. were handled by Canada Post from the nearest hub to where I lived.)

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 1024 of 3,104
latest reply

I'm looking at some lululemon articles which are made in North America yet sellers are wanting to add import duty charges. With the free trade agreement this should not be happening? This seems to be something that has come about in the last year or so and is gaining popularity. Only some seller's are doing this so what's up?

Message 1025 of 3,104
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program is independent of a seller's shipping charges. All items over $20 CAD are subject to HST / GST / PST / FST. You are paying a small brokerage fee plus the taxes on items that are duty free (such as the NAFTA qualified items). In order for an item to qualify under NAFTA, the vendor must fill out forms that make the item qualify. (ie: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b232-eng.pdf)

Message 1026 of 3,104
latest reply

"2. Ideally, the program is supposed to be set up so that items that are duty free under NAFTA are not charged duty. NAFTA items are subject to tax though and PB does add on a service charge to any transaction that goes through them. If the seller did not list which country the item was made in and you did pay duty, you cannot receive a credit. The buyer's gsp agreement explains any fees paid are non refundable unless there is a problem with a transaction. (item not received or not as described)"

Then in some cases the GSP would be in violation of the NAFTA, would it not?

Message 1027 of 3,104
latest reply

arlene_v
Community Member

Just doing a bit of long weekend "window shopping" on eBay and have a quick question.

The import charges are quite different between these two virtually identically priced  items, listed on the same day, by the same seller,  and I can't figure out why. (Please use Ontario to calculate the charges)  

Item number:  121308890232

Item number: 111315030724

Many thanks. 

Message 1028 of 3,104
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

The import charges are quite different between these two virtually identically priced  items, listed on the same day, by the same seller,  and I can't figure out why. (Please use Ontario to calculate the charges)  

Canada is mentioned twice in the "Item Specifics" section of the listing with the lower import charges.  Maybe the seller managed to hit the right entry field for that one, but not the other?  😄

Message 1029 of 3,104
latest reply

Yup, I think you are spot on, Tom. 

LOL, I swear, I look at this and just shake my head. This seller is really trying his/her very best  with these item specifics, really more than most bring to this equation...and yet still ... ! I am seeing many listings like this with the wrong "import charges" being calculated because the seller didn't manage to find the "magic" field that does this calculation, even though they clearly state the country of manufacture it is not in the precise field needed to make the final determination re duty. 

OY. 

Anyway, thanks for the quick answer. 

Message 1030 of 3,104
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@arlene_v wrote:

Canada is mentioned twice in the "Item Specifics" section of the listing with the lower import charges.  Maybe the seller managed to hit the right entry field for that one, but not the other?  😄

That's interesting. I wonder if gsp only recognizes the one field. If so, why the heck do they have two fields???

Message 1031 of 3,104
latest reply

With the free trade agreement this should not be happening?

Only if the item is actually made in Canada/USA/Mexico/Chile.

Buying from a NAFTA country doesn't count.

And of course there is still tax to be paid, new or used.

And a service fee for the company that collects the money (with the Global Shipping Program about $5 to Pitney Bowes, shipped by UPS and you could be paying $25 or more on your doorstep.)

Message 1032 of 3,104
latest reply

I have wondered the exact same thing.

Here are a few listings as examples.  Wild variations in "import charges" .. all based on whether the EXACT right field has the correct data input by the seller in order for the GSP to recognize the country of manufacture for its DUTY calculations. 

I have noticed that when "Country/Region of Manufacture" is filled in by the seller, it is as though that field is not recognized by the GSP bot, because the charges are the same as those listings that omit the place of manufacture entirely.

The correct  field would appear to be "Country of Manufacture"

But this is all just speculation based on limited observation and trying to figure out a pattern to this madness! LOL. 

Message 1033 of 3,104
latest reply

Country/Region of manufacture is the item specific that comes up when you create a new listings.

The Country of Manufacture was the old Item Specific that use to come up when creating a listing.

Around Jan 2014, eBay changed the SYI form and the newer Country/Region appeared. eBay responded when asked about this to use the new one and ignore the old one. There were quite a few topics on this when it happened.

When relisting, the new Country/Region would appear and sellers filled it out without deleting the old. So they ended up with both.

So in my opinion, the old Country of Manufacture is not the correct one for GSP. It may or may not being used by GSP. The correct one to use is Country/Region of Manufacture.

How GSP works is such a confusing mess and eBay messed it up more by changing/adding a new item specific for place of manufacture to replace the old.

Message 1034 of 3,104
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

So in my opinion, the old Country of Manufacture is not the correct one for GSP. It may or may not being used by GSP. The correct one to use is Country/Region of Manufacture.

How GSP works is such a confusing mess and eBay messed it up more by changing/adding a new item specific for place of manufacture to replace the old.

And the replacement doesn't appear to be recognized by the GSP bot, according to Arlene's analysis.  Go figure.

Message 1035 of 3,104
latest reply

If the old one works better, no wonder it was deleted and replaced. eBay just has to mess it up even more. Smiley Happy

Message 1036 of 3,104
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Country/Region of manufacture is the item specific that comes up when you create a new listings.

The Country of Manufacture was the old Item Specific that use to come up when creating a listing.

Around Jan 2014, eBay changed the SYI form and the newer Country/Region appeared. eBay responded when asked about this to use the new one and ignore the old one. There were quite a few topics on this when it happened.

When relisting, the new Country/Region would appear and sellers filled it out without deleting the old. So they ended up with both.

Thanks, Pocomocomputing, this is very interesting.

I wonder if Kalvin or Bennett could look into this, because it really does appear that when the "Country/Region of Manufacture" is used it generates significantly higher import charges ..as the examples I have used illustrate.

From these listings it would appear as if this newly introduced field is simply not being recognized by the GSP.  

If all new listings are using a field that is not being recognized, esp. place of manufacture, this is quite serious for Canadian shoppers, so I would like to  have this looked into. 

But, I have not done an exhaustive study, and my conclusion might well be wrong .. I might actually ask about this on one of the weekly eBay Wed. question hours if I happen to be around.

I agree with you that the GSP is a mess, and looking at these examples is a perfect illustration of the confusing import charges buyers are faced with daily when comparing similar listings. No wonder buyers are not impressed. 

Message 1037 of 3,104
latest reply

Now here are two listings to compare 291085032223 and 111315992038. Both items are in the same category, price range, and have  almost identical item specifics.

EXCEPT for the item specifics field concerning country of manufacture. 

These two examples are especially interesting, and tend to support the idea that the new item specific is not identified by the GSP.  

EDIT: meant to reply to Pocomcomputing, not myself! 

Message 1038 of 3,104
latest reply

mwc1942
Community Member

It is my understanding that GPS items are not mailed from Kentucky to Canada but shipped by other [non-postal] carriers.  

To clarify to "Canadian" bidders/buyers, can you address:

1. That the GSP items are in fact shipped to by non-postal carriers?

2. A GSP listed item showing "0" import charges at time of payment maybe subject to duty and/or tax on delivery?

Message 1039 of 3,104
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

It is my understanding that GPS items are not mailed from Kentucky to Canada but shipped by other [non-postal] carriers.  

To clarify to "Canadian" bidders/buyers, can you address:

1. That the GSP items are in fact shipped to by non-postal carriers?

2. A GSP listed item showing "0" import charges at time of payment maybe subject to duty and/or tax on delivery?

I haven't seen anyone from ebay answer any questions in a while but I would like to comment on question 2.

No, if 0 import charges were stated at the time of payment, you wouldn't be subject to duty and/or tax on delivery. The only time this has seemed to happen is if the seller was confused and sent the item directly to the buyer rather than through the gsp system.

Message 1040 of 3,104
latest reply