I was charged with import fees that were not listed

llkaly
Community Member

Few days ago I bought 2 items  from the United States to Canada shipped by the global shipping center. I had no import fee on one and the other had a 10USD (13.14CND) import fee which I paid and was in the invoice. I looked at my paypal account today  and I found out I was charged an extra 19.22$ and 21.29$ by pitney bowes. These extras were not listed as one listing clearly stated there was no import fee and the other had a 10$ listed on the invoice. What should i do? These extras are more than  50% of the item value + the shipping I had already  paid.

First and second picture is first order (I used a prepaid gift card)

third and fourth is second order

edit3.pngedit4.png

Screenshot from 2017-01-18 16-44-32.pngedit2.png
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: I was charged with import fees that were not listed

llkaly
Community Member

I forgot to mention these extra were taken from my card and PP account automatically without my consent after I paid the invoices.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I've been over this and over it and over it some more, and none of the numbers or combinations of numbers seem to match up with the "charges" portions you have shown here.  I don't see those original purchases in that teeny section.  Did you return something?  I can't tell what's coming and going.  

itemized list.jpg

On this page it looks like you bought something, returned it, and that 19.22 is the charges coming back IN (allowing for fluctuations in currency).  Same for the other one, it looks like charges being returned.  

Take a calculator to the entire statement and work the sums.  Are these figures coming or going?

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

It was some dessicated thryoid medication I bought outside ebay and was refunded for whatever reason. It has nothing to do with global shipping it was shipped with usps. The number is probably the card or paypal account I paid through. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

It was not a full refund but a refund minus the shipping, from there is the difference

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

As it is, those odd charges do seem out of whack.  I can't imagine the enormity of the problems Pitney-Bowes and eBay will have if, as part of their experiments to make the GSP more acceptable, deleting the charges and sneaking them on after a paid sale is something they're doing.  "Hatred" would not begin to describe most people's feelings about that.  

None of this is going anywhere just yet, so maybe after dinner there will be some fresh eyeballs come to the boards and go over it all.  It may be something innocent and obvious, but I agree that right now it certainly looks askew.  

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Since none of the numbers seem to match with anything I'd suggest asking the source(s).

Pitney Bowes: global.shipping.support@pb.com

http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/support/account/global-ecommerce-cross-border-shipping-support.html

-..-

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Scratching my head over this one, too.

When I look at the listing for the raincoat, it shows up as having sold for US$45.00, or about C$58.78, considerably more than the C$46.41 shown in the screen shot.

There's also a discrepancy with the flight pants.  When I look them up, the listing page says they sold for US$78.00, or about C$101.89, also more than the figure in the screenshot of C$52.49.

Are any of these amounts correct, llkaly?  Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

They show as sold for "best offer" and I don't think the ebay listings end with the actual best offer price anymore, they show ended with the original asking price ( I guess the best offer price is just between the buyer and the seller)?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Hi, for your second purchase of the pants ... I think the paypal invoice kind of matches the purchase?  ~ when you purchase an item through the GSP you are authorizing 2 payments ~ one payment goes to the Seller for the item + shipping costs to get the item from the Seller to the GSP hub in Kentucky. the second payment goes to Pitney Bowes for shipping costs from Kentucky to you in Canada plus import charges/fees/duties etc.  

The PayPal receipt shows shipping $11.28USD + $10.01USD import charges to Pitney Bowes.  How much did you pay the Seller for shipping costs? The two literal shipping amounts should add up to approx $34.49Cdn (ebay exchange and paypal exchange are not always perfectly equal but it should be in the same ball-park).

For this particular pants purchase does the math work out?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

For the raincoat, the Seller offers free shipping within the USA  and the import charges look like they might be rolled into the shipping costs you see. So your paypal payments should have been

1) to Seller ~ approx $46.61 CDN for the coat + 0.00 for shipping costs within the USA

2) Pitney Bowes ~ something around a total of $18.87 Cdn (again differences in USD/CDN conversion rates will cause a bit of discrepancy)  - this would be shipping costs from GSP hub in Kentucky to you in Canada plus any import fees ( I know your ebay order history doesn't show the breakdown of import fees but they are due and payable ~ being "hidden" in shipping costs is wrong, that is an ebay complaint definitely I think)

So does the math kind of work out for the coat?

Sorry  I'm having a difficult time reading the screen shots you have so kindly provided, need better reading glasses soon 🙂

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

They show as sold for "best offer" and I don't think the ebay listings end with the actual best offer price anymore, they show ended with the original asking price ( I guess the best offer price is just between the buyer and the seller)?

Yeah, I was kind of thrown by the fact that the completed listing page said that the item "sold for US$45.00 / approx. C$58.93".  When I do a completed listings search again, I now see that C$58.93 shows up in green but also has a strike through it.

So now I'm wondering if the use of "best offer" messed up the Pitney Bowes Magic Import Charge Calculator.  Because the import charges are buried in the raincoat's shipping charge, they could be different if the item sold for less than the listing price.  Was the buyer charged by Pitney Bowes at the time of purchase as well as a few days later?  I'm not clear on this point.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I think it's the fact the the Pitney Bowes payments are separate from the Seller payments that is confusing the OP. We are seeing the ebay Purchase Order history but we don't have (paypal) screen shots of the actual payment to the Seller, just the paypal payment to the GSP/ Pitney Bowes end. We would need the OP to confirm the "exact" paypal amount paid to the ebay Seller to see if he/she was actually charged twice ~ but I don't think so....?

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

I think it's the fact the the Pitney Bowes payments are separate from the Seller payments that is confusing the OP. We are seeing the ebay Purchase Order history but we don't have (paypal) screen shots of the actual payment to the Seller, just the paypal payment to the GSP/ Pitney Bowes end. We would need the OP to confirm the "exact" paypal amount paid to the ebay Seller to see if he/she was actually charged twice ~ but I don't think so....?

I agree.  Seeing PayPal's accounting of the payments would be useful.  I also don't get a sense of double-dipping on Pitney Bowes' part.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
  I'm wondering if the use of "best offer" messed up the Pitney Bowes Magic Import Charge Calculator.  Because the import charges are buried in the raincoat's shipping charge, they could be different if the item sold for less than the listing price.  Was the buyer charged by Pitney Bowes at the time of purchase as well as a few days later?  I'm not clear on this point.

On the item for $45 I'm guessing the offer was $40, currencies change all the time, but the Canadian amount is what the OP paid, what the charges should be based on, and that we see invoices for but we are not shown the details in the PP acc.  Understandably, its really none of our business, but as it stands none of the numbers we are shown add up or make sense together, and all I can suppose is that there is a page or 2 missing somewhere that we are not able to see.  With insufficient information no one at all can know.  If it were me and my issue, I would look at the whole PP acc statement, the one for the card, all the receipts I paid, and emails that come saying first for the order and second for the amount paid.  These here partial bits aren't enough.  

numbers.jpg

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

The only thing I can see is that the prepaid card payment was split into 2, not exactly what is shown, maybe currency fluctuations are responsible for that.  

On the $65.28 on the prepaid card, split into $46.41 and $18.87, on the card statement it comes out as $47.28 and $19.22.  

But the other one?  $10.01 USD might have been $13.14 that day, and $21.29 USD might have been the total portion paid to Pitney-Bowes, but it wouldn't be $34.49, but maybe there was a portion for the seller's shipping to Kentucky that is not shown to us here.  Without the pp acc statement its all giving me a headache.   

It almost looks as if the OP ended up paying LESS, not more, but I can hardly imagine that.   🙂 

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

The $47.28 shows as a payment to someone in Canada so it shouldn't be the purchase from the US Seller ?

I think that's what's missing - the payments made to the actual US Seller to compare to what was paid to pitney bowes

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

I think that's what's missing - the payments made to the actual US Seller to compare to what was paid to pitney bowes

Yes.  Those payments to the seller won't show up on the ledger of the pre-paid VISA because it appears that the buyer used their PayPal balance to pay for the items.

Perhaps that's why there appears to be a delay between when the items were purchased and when Pitney Bowes levied its charges: the buyer had used up their PayPal balance and there was no other payment method on file with PayPal.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

The $47.28 shows as a payment to someone in Canada so it shouldn't be the purchase from the US Seller ?

D'Oh!  I didn't notice that, I was too focused on trying to make sense of the numbers.  I didn't bother to look up seller IDs too.  

One things for sure, we are very obviously missing some vital information, particularly that PP acc transaction hist, if you two can't make sense of it either.  

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

marnotom! wrote:

Those payments to the seller won't show up on the ledger of the pre-paid VISA because it appears that the buyer used their PayPal balance to pay for the items.

Perhaps that's why there appears to be a delay between when the items were purchased and when Pitney Bowes levied its charges: the buyer had used up their PayPal balance and there was no other payment method on file with PayPal.

I was just going by the note on the raincoat (to the seller) where the OP said he found some extra moolah on a prepaid card.  That sounds like it was paid by the prepaid card.  But it may not have been.  It may have come out of the PayPal account even if this was not what the OP intended.  Without seeing that PP transaction list, we'll never know.  Because the invoice numbers we have been shown do not match that tiny little card selection.  

I think we're all spending too much time on this.  LOL!  Not hard to see who the puzzle-lovers are!   🙂  

Message 20 of 20
latest reply