Import Charges for Canada

Thoroughly confused and turned off as to why there are "import fee's" on silver and gold products.  In Canada, there is no customs to import on precious metals.  So where is the additional money going when this fee is not required?  I've contacted the seller and they are not interest to ship any other way and they expressed clearly to me that this is an eBay specific program.  Very confusing and discouraging and any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Even if there is no duty payable the GSP still charges gst/hst as well as a $5 or $6 service charge.

However, I realize that there is no gst/hst on bullion in Canada either and yet there generally are import charges on those items when shipped by the GSP.  I  asked ebay a long ago why the GSP was charging import fees (other than just the service fee) but they didn't seem to know.

I'll ask again.

tyler@ebay

Would you please look into this. There is no gst/hst payable on gold, silver or other precious metals in Canada so why is the gsp charging it on all those coins and bars?  You should be able to see them just by looking for gsp listings under bullion but I can give you some example if you like. I didn't know if I could do that on the board.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@pmar2730 wrote:

Thoroughly confused and turned off as to why there are "import fees" on silver and gold products.  In Canada, there is no customs to import on precious metals.  ...

Precious metals are defined as bars, ingots, coins or wafers of gold, silver or platinum, refined to a minimum purity of 99.50% in the case of gold and platinum, and 99.9% in the case of silver. Gold, silver and platinum precious metals are exempt from HST/GST.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

OT -- why is there no duty on gold and silver bullion?

Canada is a big producer of gold, and also has silver mining .

You'd think those companies would have put some lobbying efforts into having imports dutiable.

Same goes for sales taxes- why not?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I think what it comes down to is that as importer of record, Pitney Bowes (DBA as "The Global Shipping Program") is responsible for declaring the purity of imported precious metals correctly.  Since employees at the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky don't have the means or knowledge to do this correctly, the estimate of the "import charges" made by the GSP bot has to include something to go towards GST and HST.  But don't forget that "import charges" aren't just taxes owing.  It may be that the estimated customs and processing fees that are part of the "import charges" just happen to be higher for precious metals.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Even if there is no duty payable the GSP still charges gst/hst as well as a $5 or $6 service charge.

However, I realize that there is no gst/hst on bullion in Canada either and yet there generally are import charges on those items when shipped by the GSP.  I  asked ebay a long ago why the GSP was charging import fees (other than just the service fee) but they didn't seem to know.

I'll ask again.

tyler@ebay

Would you please look into this. There is no gst/hst payable on gold, silver or other precious metals in Canada so why is the gsp charging it on all those coins and bars?  You should be able to see them just by looking for gsp listings under bullion but I can give you some example if you like. I didn't know if I could do that on the board.

Hi @pjcdn2005 - the 'Import charges' portion of the GSP shipments cover an array of possible fees (section 'checkout' details a number of them). If there is an item that is charging GST/HST in a line item form please let me know and I'll get it looked into further. Otherwise, from what I can see on the items I've checked the import charges appear to be calculating properly. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Global Shipping is incorporating their "handling fee" on top of customs + taxes, for their trouble of handling all the paperwork. You won't be charged any "extra" taxes - no surprises!

Except - there is not tax or customs or HST or Sales tax or any tax, duties, levies, customs or ANYTHING on bullion in Canada. Ever. Period. At a jewellery store, from the mint, online, at a pawn shop - it is EXEMPT as long as it is pure (the 22K Gold Eagles, Kuggerands, Sovereigns etc. - sorry - taxable in Canada) 

Two explanations:

1. Global is unaware and ignorant of this fact. Such a big company with so many inquiries and complaints, especially given they charge a 16% handling fee to deal with 0 dollars worth of fees and taxes - they are not earning their money as experts, because if they don't know, they aren't experts. (but hey - it's a lot of work paying nothing - they have expenses, mailing all those non-existent cheques for 0$ to the government of Canada)

2. They know and are profiting on customer & seller ignorance (or apathy). This is a willful scam - gauging. "No surprises - no extra fees!" well that is true - except for the surprise of the important fees to begin with. I know the law and don't expect to be charged duty on gold bullion - so when I am, their "no surprises claim" becomes false advertisement.

Either they are stupid and negligent, or they are deceitful and crooked. These are the only two choices.

Anyone a lawyer who wants a fun case? Class-action them. Or sue them for "no surprises" as false advertisement - if I know **bleep** well there is no import fees on bullion, then I am in fact surprised, and their claim is false. They do say it is an "estimate" and will be calculated at checkout. I could claim I expected, since they are such experts, that at checkout they would realize it is bullion and charge me nothing. Logical to assume the "estimate" is just an automatic HST calculation and when the actual invoice is processed, it will be adjusted to 0% (. So I am, in-fact, "surprised" when they screw up.

I won't buy anything if I see Global Shipping Program. All you American bullion dealers out there - you are automatically reducing all Canadian bids by A LOT on all your gold and silver. STOP USING THEM! GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM IS A SCAM. THEY ARE EITHER STUPID AND NEGLIGENT, OR THEY ARE DECEITFUL AND CROOKED!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 8 of 8
latest reply