Over Charged On Shipping

member987014
Community Member

Hi everyone

What is ebay's policy when a seller over bills you on shipping?

Right now I'm dealing with 2 sellers that over billed me.

I contacted both. One told me a week ago he/she said would reinburst me the difference but still havnt. I did PM the seller again. But so far wont PM me back. Seems like just ignoring me.

Another seller over billed me for about $20.00 (give or take). Now wants to bill me even more money even though the shipping was never even close to what he is asking.

Seller operates out of Florida but is claiming to be an attorney in Canada??

(Its only up until now I let the issue of being over shipped go. I admit I found it stressful dealing with the whole thing.)

I guess in the future I wont try to resolve overshipping with the seller?? I gave them some courtesy. Bad ideal or good ideal?

Any helpful and kind advices would be welcome.

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Over Charged On Shipping

from the USA cannot use EMS because it is a Chinese mail system.

EMS is UPU brand and UPU members offer it under different names.

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/ems/about-ems.html

USPS calls it Express Mail, but if you look at their branded packages and envelopes, they say EMS

https://store.usps.com/media/images/products/store/EP%2013-C-01-main-900x695.jpg

Message 61 of 81
latest reply

There is no such thing as overcharging on shipping..

You are charged what you agree to pay a not a penny more...

I get what everyone keep saying but really at the end of the day you are charged what you agree to pay so even though the shipping you paid was more then seller paid you were not really overcharged in my eye overcharging for shipping is if the seller states $10 shipping then invoices you for $20 ...

If you agree to pay $20 then when you receive it and the label say $11 you did pay more then seller did for shipping but you were not overcharged you were charged exactly what the seller put down for shipping charges...

Message 62 of 81
latest reply

carrielynnh123
Community Member

I am new to buying...and have noticed a HUGE variance in shipping costs.

I am buying most of the same type items, yet the shipping varies by 20$...?

I appreciate the time, gas, packaging, etc...by sellers...but really!? Isn't that in their profit margin? or should be? 

My feelings are (in some of the responces I gotten back from sellers) when I have asked point blank "why is your shipping so high?"...a short, almost rude...too bad, so sad attitude.

Unfortunate, as I have seen things go by without a bid, not sell...and I would have bought it if the shipping wasn't so ridiculous...

Wish those American sellers would see this and "get" it.

Message 63 of 81
latest reply

carrielynnh123
Community Member

Yes...this is true...I do agree...

just won't bid on those...and may have paid more in bidding, but don't want to be ripped off on the "actual" cost of shipping...

I had one seller refund me $8 for shipping...WOW...now that's integrity! I will always go to her/him 1st to buy!

Message 64 of 81
latest reply

Do not forget that US sellers

must provide tracking

in order to qualify for TRS.

In contrast....

Canadian sellers can be a TRS without the tracking requirement.....

Message 65 of 81
latest reply

For me gas is about 10 cents a km

Total car cost is about 35 cents a km.

Anyone who has been in business and uses their vehicle extensively... knows exactly what the cost of vehicle use is....

Message 66 of 81
latest reply

I'm sorry, but how is it ebays fault that the seller you stated is listing an item at a high price? Why should it be illegal? Buying low and selling high is the concept of the business world. This is why sellers use ebay, no? To make money.

While yes, I agree that the item seems to have a rather high price tag, maybe those 3 figurines are some sort of once in a life time super rare item that requires a high price tag.

If you look at 180987309025, one may think "wow that is a crazy high price, that's stupid wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww that should be illegal". But, in my eyes, as an avid Final Fantasy collector, I know that the item in question is a very rare item, and should boast a price as high as it is.

That's my two cents anyways..

Message 67 of 81
latest reply

lilflappy2013
Community Member

Hello welcome to my nightmare.it startebuy purchasing an item on ebay.not first time but always free shipping this time buyer ships the seller haggled with me I was trying to get him to ship but ultimately I did which on ebay it says shipper does.anyways I went to freightquote refered through eBay again I don't feel it's beaus or shippers faulty but I got quote which wasn't to hard.apperently.long story but I was charged 233.for service 5day delivery I still have not received items still in transit both freightquote and truck lines have different info on we're to ship it's over 5 daydream truck line says cod 1825$ and quote line saying another $400 help me please lol never again

Message 68 of 81
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

If eBay REALLY wants Americans to ship their items with a tracking number to Canada, then eBay should work with USPS to make it attractive for sellers to use the mail service with tracking number by offering a real good low discounts on mail services with tracking number.

What I think is that eBay is looking with $$$ signs in their eyes when they encourage the American sellers to ship with them with a tracking number is the FINAL VALUE FEES on shipping costs that eBay knew would generate a lot of $$$ in that area!

When I see any shipping costs that I think is way too excessive, I would contact the sellers about that and I received from the saying that they didn't put those amounts on their listings!!  Imagine that??!!  As if eBay took over their lisitngs and put the excessive shipping costs???  That is what the sellers think by saying that to me!  Don't the sellers read their own listings to make sure they are okay before submit then or check them after submitted them???

One item that I saw which I want but he was asking $1,500.00 for shipping and I asked him: "If I bid and won this item, will you fly and come to my door and hand it to me in person?" LOL!  He was shocked and said it was an error which should be $15.00.  So always ask the sellers to make sure if the shipping information is right or not. 

With what USPS have increased the hefty fees for Canadian shipping, the sellers are very confused and often found out it is much less than quoted and send me the difference in refunds.  Always check with the sellers before you bid or buy.

Message 69 of 81
latest reply

aw1133
Community Member

Was shipping charges in ad? whats the difference $25 free shipping or Shipping $20 only bid $5 you know shipping is $20

Message 70 of 81
latest reply

@aw1133 wrote:

Was shipping charges in ad? whats the difference $25 free shipping or Shipping $20 only bid $5 you know shipping is $20

What's with dredging up all these old threads?  I think the chances of your getting a response to your question two and a half years after this thread died are pretty minimal.

Message 71 of 81
latest reply

I just came across this post and subsequent comments, and although it is many years old I am going to offer my feedback because this situation is still happening all over eBay. When a Seller states on their listing one price for shipping but when you receive your item it shows a lesser post office shipping price you can indeed ask the Seller to refund you the difference if it's more than a few dollars. If they do not you can contact eBay. They will advise you to open a "Does Not Match Description Case" and state your reason for opening the case by saying that you 'do not want to return the item, but simply want to be refunded the difference in the shipping price.' You can upload any photos you have showing proof of what the actual shipping cost was. eBay takes this seriously and will help you resolve it and be refunded the difference. Not all eBay staff are trained well, so make sure you are speaking with a knowledgeable rep. - and if not, ask to speak with their supervisor who is always present to take calls. Sellers' 10% fees to eBay are not the Buyers' responsibility. That is the cost of doing business as an entrepreneur. Any of the Sellers' business associated costs will show as expenses against their revenues when they do their taxes anyway. I don't expect my boss to pay me for my travel time to and from work, or for my transit fare, so Buyers' can not be expected to pay for the Sellers' time to go to the post office to commit to their end of the transaction, which is to ship the purchase you paid them for. Sellers do not run to the post office every time someone buys an item, but rather they go once or twice a week to ship multiple orders at once. Again, this is the cost of doing business as a self-employed individual (a title which comes with many perks and financial breaks). I have been refunded on shipping discrepancies for as little as a $3 overcharge without my even asking the Seller to refund me. They just refund me on Paypal and then notify me to let me know they've done so. I didn't even ask for it. Other Sellers have forwarded to me the Seller shipping discounts eBay gives to them. They told me that they forward the discounts they get from eBay back to their Buyers as a 'thank you' for buying with them and as a customer service gesture. These two type of Sellers are gold. They are the ones that get repeat business and loyal customers. The other type of Sellers who nickel and dime a Buyer into paying for the Seller's own online business expenses are to be avoided because these type of people 9 times out of 10 put the least amount of care, time, work, effort, or package the goods properly than the type of Sellers who refund extra shipping charges. It really shows you the kind of person they are and how they go about their life in general. Just know that eBay takes these extra shipping charges seriously because the cost of shipping on a listing should reflect the actual cost to ship the item. That's the bottom line.
Message 72 of 81
latest reply

Now if I were to break up this Great Wall of Text, 

peace-and-prosperity wrote:

I just came across this post and subsequent comments, and although it is many years old I am going to offer my feedback because this situation is still happening all over eBay.

When a Seller states on their listing one price for shipping but when you receive your item it shows a lesser post office shipping price you can indeed ask the Seller to refund you the difference if it's more than a few dollars. If they do not you can contact eBay.

[eBay] will advise you to open a "Does Not Match Description Case" and state your reason for opening the case by saying that you 'do not want to return the item, but simply want to be refunded the difference in the shipping price.' You can upload any photos you have showing proof of what the actual shipping cost was. eBay takes this seriously and will help you resolve it and be refunded the difference.

Not all eBay staff are trained well, so make sure you are speaking with a knowledgeable rep. - and if not, ask to speak with their supervisor who is always present to take calls.

Sellers' 10% fees to eBay are not the Buyers' responsibility. That is the cost of doing business as an entrepreneur. Any of the Sellers' business associated costs will show as expenses against their revenues when they do their taxes anyway.

I don't expect my boss to pay me for my travel time to and from work, or for my transit fare, so Buyers' can not be expected to pay for the Sellers' time to go to the post office to commit to their end of the transaction, which is to ship the purchase you paid them for. Sellers do not run to the post office every time someone buys an item, but rather they go once or twice a week to ship multiple orders at once. Again, this is the cost of doing business as a self-employed individual (a title which comes with many perks and financial breaks).

I have been refunded on shipping discrepancies for as little as a $3 overcharge without my even asking the Seller to refund me. They just refund me on Paypal and then notify me to let me know they've done so. I didn't even ask for it.

Other Sellers have forwarded to me the Seller shipping discounts eBay gives to them. They told me that they forward the discounts they get from eBay back to their Buyers as a 'thank you' for buying with them and as a customer service gesture. These two type of Sellers are gold. They are the ones that get repeat business and loyal customers.

The other type of Sellers who nickel and dime a Buyer into paying for the Seller's own online business expenses are to be avoided because these type of people 9 times out of 10 put the least amount of care, time, work, effort, or package the goods properly than the type of Sellers who refund extra shipping charges. It really shows you the kind of person they are and how they go about their life in general.

Just know that eBay takes these extra shipping charges seriously because the cost of shipping on a listing should reflect the actual cost to ship the item. That's the bottom line.

Message 73 of 81
latest reply

Old topic from the dead ... 2015

genericZombieMale.png

Message 74 of 81
latest reply

Shipping and Handling packing, postage drving to post office all $$$

Message 75 of 81
latest reply

Than explain why the shipping so so HIGH in the first place??

Message 76 of 81
latest reply

It's ALL about the buck!! If they can suck it out of you they're are having it whether that be right or wrong. I have been doing many purchases on Ebay recently and finding shipping to be the deterrent from buying some item's and also that the shipping and import charges alone are more than the value of the item, then of course the USD/CDN exchange rate comes into play. For the most part, it's just not worth buying off Ebay. I'm beginning to find that Amazon is the way to go.

Message 77 of 81
latest reply

Ahhhaaa, found at least one seller who has integrity and honesty!! Good for you!!

Message 78 of 81
latest reply

I get this one, a 550 item requiring an extra few bucks for protection for both parties concerned.

Message 79 of 81
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2012.

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them is often out of date and incorrect.

For example, in 2012 there was no Global Shipping Program nor a seller's fee on shipping charges.

tyler@ebay 

Message 80 of 81
latest reply