Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

With a Fixed price listing it is easy. The shipping (sell...

The real problem here is that the Global Shipping Program (GSP) is not meant to handle returns.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Although your seller is willing to cooperate, I think the only way to get all your money back is through a claim.  I suspect it may be better to claim through PayPal as you can make a claim for each of the two payments you made.

However, I suggest you wait for a day or so.  Possibly an eBay staff member (Ben) may visit this thread and give you a definitive answer how best to handle the problem.

Message 461 of 3,104
latest reply

k422*
Community Member

With Global Shipping how is it determine how much is added to the price of the item?  It makes it difficult to bid if you don't know the amount that will be added to the bid amount?

Message 462 of 3,104
latest reply

With a Fixed price listing it is easy. The shipping (seller to the GSP facility in Kentucky) and the importation costs are displayed below the asking price.

With auctions it is more difficult. The location remains, but the importation costs are made up of duty which varies with type of item and its place of manufacture (not purchase) and with sales tax is also based on selling price. There is also a service fee of around $5.

I was just looking at expensive purses and noticed one, priced at $2500, made in the USA (apparently) with a $35 domestic shipping cost and a $535 GSP import cost. Before you start screaming ripoff, remember that Canada Post and CBSA would almost certainly assess this one and the Canada Post service fee would be $10 or more.

You can make a guess on the import fee.

Subtract the $5 service fee from the import charge showing at the current bid.

Now if the current bid is $100 and the current import charge is $10 after the subtraction, then the import charge will probably be 10% of the final bid plus domestic shipping plus $5.

So if your maximum bid would be $200 you could expect to pay $20 +$5+domestic shipping .

Or you could buy Canadian.

Message 463 of 3,104
latest reply

I would love to buy Canadian, but this particular antiquity is usually not sold by Canadian buyers. I normally would just try to avoid the Global Shipping, like most of the other people who buy in this category of Antiquties. This item that is being sold is in great condition with good provenance. I might just be able to get it at a reasonable price. I have never bided more than $300 and that is including shipping. The probability is pretty small getting this item for that price. There have been items similar to this in value and quality that have been left untouched, because of Global Shipping.
Message 464 of 3,104
latest reply

OK...I'll do that.

Message 465 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi, I am trying to understand the charges from Pitney Bowes for digitial cameras.  They seem very high as the shipping fee is described separately.  Digital cameras are a duty free item based on the Canada Border Service Agency Tariff information (posted below).  Based on what I have seen, the fees are approximately 13% of the cost in Canadian currency (plus a little more for what I am assuming is a brokerage or handling fee).  Since the taxes charged vary from province from 5% up to 13.5% (QC), I am trying to understand how someone buyinga camera from the US and lives in Alberta where they would be charged 5% compared to someone living in Ontario where they will be charged 13% is estimated to have the same fees.  I know that these are confirmed at checkout, so does Pitney Bowes go with the highest tax rate and adjusts accordingly if the buyer were to live in alberta or do they end up with more money and sum it up as a handling or brokerage fee? 

To further complicate this, I have read that people have been charged taxes separate from what Pitney Bowes is supposed to collect to cover them...they are covered in their terms and agreements "You will not request, and you will not receive, a refund for the difference, if any, between Program Fees paid by you and actual costs to Pitney Bowes in the event that actual shipping and/or import costs are less than the amounts paid by you."  & "Exclusions. You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you."

Also, if an item is purchased internationally and it is returned, the buyer is not eligible to receive the fee they paid to Pitney and Bowes, is that correct?

Message 466 of 3,104
latest reply

I have read that people have been charged taxes separate from what Pitney Bowes is supposed to collect to cover them.

These usually turn out to be cases where the item was incorrectly shipped direct to the buyer by the seller.

Also, if an item is purchased internationally and it is returned, the buyer is not eligible to receive the fee they paid to PitneyBowes, is that correct?

Not really, the buyer should open the appropriate case for a refund and the outcome will depend on the exact type of complaint, but a formal complaint is the only way the buyer can get back the full amount paid. If the problem is due to damage in international transit the seller is not liable, ebay/PB pay the whole refund.

The procedure in the case of 'seller error' remains unclear, it seems to be the same as a normal seller error process with refunds coming from PB and the seller but only if the correct procedure is followed.

Message 467 of 3,104
latest reply

@tonkers16 wrote:

Hi, I am trying to understand the charges from Pitney Bowes for digitial cameras.  They seem very high as the shipping fee is described separately.  Digital cameras are a duty free item based on the Canada Border Service Agency Tariff information (posted below).  Based on what I have seen, the fees are approximately 13% of the cost in Canadian currency (plus a little more for what I am assuming is a brokerage or handling fee).  Since the taxes charged vary from province from 5% up to 13.5% (QC), I am trying to understand how someone buyinga camera from the US and lives in Alberta where they would be charged 5% compared to someone living in Ontario where they will be charged 13% is estimated to have the same fees.  I know that these are confirmed at checkout, so does Pitney Bowes go with the highest tax rate and adjusts accordingly if the buyer were to live in alberta or do they end up with more money and sum it up as a handling or brokerage fee? 

The "import charges" will vary according to the postal code that the user provides in the "shipping" portion of the listing.

For example, I'm looking at listing 201017921772, a US$349.99 camera.

If I enter "M5W 1E6" in section for postal codes in the "shipping and payments" section of the listing, I get a US$31.09 shipping charge and US$52.35 in import charges.  US$45.50 in import charges would be 13% Ontario HST and the remaining US$6.85 would be for Pitney Bowes, its subcontractors and eBay to play with.  If I change the postal code to T2N 3G7, the shipping rate remains at US$31.09, but the import charges drop to US$23.57.  5% GST on that camera would be US$17.50, with the balance of the import charges amounting to US$6.07.

Message 468 of 3,104
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I was just looking at expensive purses and noticed one, priced at $2500, made in the USA (apparently) with a $35 domestic shipping cost and a $535 GSP import cost. Before you start screaming ripoff, remember that Canada Post and CBSA would almost certainly assess this one and the Canada Post service fee would be $10 or more.

I'm a bit lost here, Femme because  I find that amount high ...

According to the CBSA's calculator the tax and duty on  $2500 (Canadian $) for Ontario  would be $325 (if the purse was made in the US) .... so how is the amount of $535 reached? I tried both the accessories and apparel categories and the same amount was calculated ($325). 

I'm having a flashback here to school math and my teacher's pained expression when I just "didn't get it"  ...LOL. 

Please explain how that amount was reached,and help me out here! Smiley Happy

Message 469 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi - this GSP is a terrible service - my shipping costs have gone up at least 30% including the overcharging due to duties and taxes.  I will no longer be buying from anyone who uses the GSP.

Smashorange.

Message 470 of 3,104
latest reply

Here's an example of a purse selling for $2100 and the item specifics state it was made in the US .. and the import charges are $297. 

BTW, one of the things that really annoys me  is that the import charges are only provided  in US dollars but the price of the item is stated in both US and Can dollars, Why can't they give the amount in Canadian dollars for the import charges as well? 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Judith-Leiber-Ostrich-Ladies-Shoulder-Handbag-/121247968957?pt=US_CSA_WH_Hand...

Message 471 of 3,104
latest reply

That makes sense.  13% HST within Ontario plus PB handling fee

Message 472 of 3,104
latest reply

Indeed it does, Pierre, and I was using that as an example of the kind of  "import charges" one would expect to see on a purse made in the USA ....although the handling fee (almost $30) is an example of CBSA fee of $9.95 being more competitive.

The reason I posted that example is because I am comparing it with the amount   mentioned by Femme in an earlier post regarding a luxury purse  ... the "import charges"  on that  one seem high to me for a US made purse. Still trying to figure it out. 

Message 473 of 3,104
latest reply

"is an example of CBSA fee of $9.95 being more competitive."

Canada Post is cheap at $9.95.  UPS and Fed-Ex would charge about $85 for the same service:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

It should also be noted that very few items sell for $2,000+ on eBay. They do not make a good basis to compare services, more so that a buyer purchasing a $2,000 purse would most likely insist on a delivery service other than the postal service.

Message 474 of 3,104
latest reply

Yes, Canada Post charges $9.95 not the CBSA.  My mistake. 

I can assure you I have never bought an item on Ebay for $2000, but if a  a buyer were to buy an item like this through the GSP I guess they could not insist on another delivery service since they would be locked into  the delivery service used by PBI ... so good point Pierre .... probably these high end items aren't good candidates for this program either then.  

I just got a tracking update on my recent GSP purchase and the final leg here in Canada is being handled by Canada Post. 

Message 475 of 3,104
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

I can assure you I have never bought an item on Ebay for $2000, but if a  a buyer were to buy an item like this through the GSP I guess they could not insist on another delivery service since they would be locked into  the delivery service used by PBI ... so good point Pierre .... probably these high end items aren't good candidates for this program either then.  

The somewhat facile FAQ page for the Global Shipping Program does suggest that items selling for $2500 or more may not be a good fit with the GSP.  Perhaps this is the reason.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html

Having said that, if I had the dinero and the GSP weren't so badly rolled out and operated, I'd probably sooner purchase a $2K item through the GSP if the import charges made some sense than through an unknown commercial carrier where the listing gave no clue as to whether I'd be paying anything on delivery.

Message 476 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi higgswtop12.

First off, thanks to pierre for providing such good counsel. 

Indeed, the best thing to do is file a claim. If everything is reported properly and checks out ok all of the refunds should happen automatically. 

Returns are not supported by the GSP. (Keep in mind that returning the item is not necessary in order to receive a refund).  If a return is necessary this must be worked out directly with the seller. 

All of this is covered in the Buyer Terms & Conditions page:  http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Hope this helps. 

---Ben

Message 477 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi tonkers16.

Just wanted to add a quick two cents to the very excellent info already provided by afantiques.

afan stated the following:  "The procedure in the case of 'seller error' remains unclear, it seems to be the same as a normal seller error process with refunds coming from PB and the seller but only if the correct procedure is followed."

The latter part is correct. Buyer should file a "not as described" case, and the rest should happen automatically. You can read more about this here:  http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Hope this helps.

---Ben

Message 478 of 3,104
latest reply

Just out of curiosity  I decided to check a few Judith Leiber purses here on Ebay.ca ...some sell for astronomical prices .... and out of the ten highest priced ones (I'm talking well over $2500 here) ...9 of them are being shipped to Canada using USPS Priority mail.

Only 1 is offering shipping through  UPS.

Interesting.

Message 479 of 3,104
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

Just out of curiosity  I decided to check a few Judith Leiber purses here on Ebay.ca ...some sell for astronomical prices .... and out of the ten highest priced ones (I'm talking well over $2500 here) ...9 of them are being shipped to Canada using USPS Priority mail.

Only 1 is offering shipping through  UPS.

Interesting.

That is interesting.

Having said that, I'm not really in the market for a purse right now.  I feel emasculated enough whenever my wife asks me to hold her Thermos branded insulated bag that just happens to look very purse-like.  😉

Message 480 of 3,104
latest reply