Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

How can I resolve a Global Shipping issue. I bought pastels and received a box of books.

GSP charged me over $90 for international priority shipping. Firstly, why does the GSP automatically choose to charge for the most expensive shipping option when we used to be able to negotiate with sellers for a reduced rate when we didn't wish for expedited priority shipping.

You are confused by the terminology used by the GSP and this has now been changed to 'Tracked international shipping.'

GSP items are not sent by post internationally. International Priority Shipping is just advertising puffery, and bears no relation to USPS Priority International Shipping despite the similar terms. GSP items travel as air freight. The comparable service would be FedEx or UPS, although in Canada only the last leg delivery service is either Canadian Post or Canpar.

As a matter of fact, since USPS discontinued surface mail, 'Priority' now means standard. Because the service that was slower no longer exists. FCMI packages and Priority items under 4 pounds are handled just the same, over 4 pounds it is the standard air parcel service.

What perpetually puzzles me is why people use GSP sellers , then moan afterwards. The costs are clear when you buy, the time to 'negotiate' is before buying, and the full charges are there upfront to see before you pay.

I agree it is a bad idea woefully badly implemented, but lets get the facts straight.

Message 1641 of 3,104
latest reply

How can I resolve a Global Shipping issue. I bought pastels and received a box of books.

Firstly, why does the GSP automatically choose to charge for the most expensive shipping option when we used to be able to negotiate with sellers for a reduced rate when we didn't wish for expedited priority shipping.

It doesn't

Your seller chooses the shipping method. GSP implements that choice. The $90 for shipping came from the seller's choices. The $20 for import fees goes to Pitney Bowes.

They should have been different lines on the listing.

You can still negotiate shipping with the seller. He is not required to use the GSP. On low value items it may not be worth his time.

Message 1642 of 3,104
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:
What perpetually puzzles me is why people use GSP sellers , then moan afterwards. The costs are clear when you buy, the time to 'negotiate' is before buying, and the full charges are there upfront to see before you pay.

I agree it is a bad idea woefully badly implemented, but lets get the facts straight.

I have a feeling that a lot of the "after-the-fact" moaning comes from inexperienced or occasional buyers. Because by now, experienced buyers know what to do in order to stay well clear of GSP listings.

The moaning can also come from mobile users. I decided to test it for myself: I found a GSP listing on my computer, then viewed the same listing on my phone. I did this test on the Canadian site so it may be different on .com, but what I saw on my phone looked pretty much like a GSP listing from the early days. Nothing identified it as a GSP listing, except for the rather cryptic "International priority shipping" (or whatever that idiotic wording is), and the "Import charges: $0.00" mention (it was a $1.80 item!!!)

Again, experienced buyers know to look for these warning signs, but new and occasional buyers will quite likely miss them.

Let's see how US buyers react to this treatment when the UK GSP gets expanded to North America.

Message 1643 of 3,104
latest reply

tismoe
Community Member

How do you track a shipment through Global Shipping Program?  According to tracking, it was 20 miles from my home in Oakville, Ontario on September 19th - now disappeared. No more tracking updates.  EBay tells me I have to wait until October 4th to put in a resolution - RIDICULOUS!! Give me USP and Canada Post any day - at least I know who had or has it - and can get update info via email.  This GSP

is not transparent!

Message 1644 of 3,104
latest reply

Why are American sellers who have smartly opted out of the Global Shipping Scam being intentionally left out of search results all of a sudden? If the program is so great, surely it can compete on its own merits. Ebay's interference in the operation of people's businesses and livelihoods is unethical. 

Message 1645 of 3,104
latest reply

UPS charges $25 or more for customs brokerage. The GPS is around $5, half that even of Canada Post.

If it was tracked to Canada it is currently in the hands of either Canada Post or possibly CanPar. Go to you local PO and ask if they have the parcel. Bring government issued photo ID.

While CPO is supposed to leave delivery slips, sometimes human nature or a strong wind intervenes.

CanPar is trickier since they often have isolated plants. Let's hope for Canada Post.

The 19th was Friday and today is Wednesday. There was probably a weekend in there somewhere. Don't panic.

Message 1646 of 3,104
latest reply

The "after the fact" moaning is only typical venting. This is where we get together and say, "DUH! Why didn't I read the listing more carefully?" because International Priority Shipping isn't the same thing as USPS, and even they can be pricey depending on the seller's decision on how they want to ship their items. https://www.usps.com/ship/compare-international-services.htm? 

The prices are all over the map, so if you can find similar items, then it pays to compare the actual total cost; item + shipping. For example, yesterday I purchased another item from a seller I was happy with - but the bargain hunter in me wanted to compare prices first. Yup, I found the same item for $12, instead of my $25. Ok, but my seller only charged me $12 postage and this "bargain" was going to gouge me $40 in postage, probably using USPS's Priority Mail International Express. No thanks - I was happy with my original seller and don't mind the extra wait, also saving $ in the long run. 

We need to read the listings more carefully, although I think we've all made expensive mistakes re: shipping. I remember the first (and last) time I purchased through a seller using UPS, when I got stung with an additional $50 upon delivery. On an $80 total. Ouch!  Live and learn. 

Message 1647 of 3,104
latest reply

my question is   why is it that.....your charging import fee for items that are NO FEE FOR......ANY ITEM UNDER $100.......THEIR IS NO FEE THROUGH CUSTOMS.............I ALWAYS ASK FOR UPS........EBAY CHARGING A FEE,,,,,,WHEN  THERE IS NO FEE.....I HATE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM...........AND THEY CHARGE TO MUCH....I RAITHER PAY CUSTOM FEE AT MY DOOR.....ITS ALOT CHEAPER.......

Message 1648 of 3,104
latest reply

ANY ITEM UNDER $100.......THERE IS NO FEE THROUGH CUSTOMS....SO WHY IS IT EBAY CHARGING YOU THIS FEE?   MAKING A BUCK OFF YOU!!!!............I HATE GLOBAL......RIP OFF

Message 1649 of 3,104
latest reply

AND  WHY IS IT THAT E BAY CHARGING A FEE FOR ITEM UNDER $ 100.......THERE IS NO FEE....I HAVE BOUGHT MANY ITEM NOT THROUGH  GLOBAL.....AND I WAS NOT CHARGE ANY CUSTOM FEE......WHEN MY ITEM ARRIVED...SO WHY IS IT E BAY CHARGING  A FEE.....EVEN ON $ 20.00 ITEM...E BAY CHARGING A CUSTOM FEE..........WHY?.

Message 1650 of 3,104
latest reply

"AND  WHY IS IT THAT E BAY CHARGING A FEE FOR ITEM UNDER $ 100.......THERE IS NO FEE."

????

As stated many times before on this thread (please take the time to read from the beginning), the official Government of Canada states that any parcel valued at Cdn$ 20 and over are taxable.  I do not make the rules, the government of Canada does:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Also, it should be noted that every time Canada Customs assess taxes (and duty if applicable) to a parcel, Canada Post charges an extra $9.95 administration fee (Pitney Bowes charges $4/$5).

Yes, many parcels valued at more than $20 do come across the border without taxes being charged.  However, there is always the risk that a parcel will be taxed as required by law.

Message 1651 of 3,104
latest reply

Virtually all of my purchases, coming up from the states via USPS, are delivered without additional charges. But I always keep in mind that they're (luckily) sliding in under the radar, and some day I might be required to ante up some coin. I did purchase a gorgeous lambskin coat last winter ($900 cost) with ($80 USPS postage charges) and an extra ($10 Canada Post fee & $110 taxes) on top. Not a problem - I know this coat would cost me 5 times more if I bought it retail. Even getting out of my boondocky area to where you can actually find these coats for sale would have cost me $80 in gas, lol...I gotta keep it in perspective. 

Message 1652 of 3,104
latest reply

why was i charged by pitneybowes 21.00 dollars on a item i bought in the states   it was shipped directly to my address hre in manitoba canada 

Message 1653 of 3,104
latest reply

sergus0
Community Member
I bought an item, thought the postage was was $10.49 US. I paid through paypal. I get the receipt in my email and everything looked fine until I scrolled down and there was charges for Pitney Bowes of $26.83 CDN (and I don't know if I will be charged import duties when they deliver the item). I am very careful when buying items - if I want something, and the seller uses GSP, I have it delivered to the U.S. where I pick it up and pay duties but either free for very low shipping charges. I did NOT see the GSP notice when I looked at this item! I checked out the U.S. shipping and the Canadian prices, GPS was nowhere to be seen. And nowhere did it say it used Pitney Bowes. Did I do something wrong, or was the seller not up front? Item# 141412516404 Can the seller ship my ring to the U.S. address instead of giving the item to Pitney Bowes and telling them to cancel the charge that goes to them? (It is separate). The seller does not ship right away. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Message 1654 of 3,104
latest reply

I am replying to myself..... because I don't know how to change a previous post. Called the Ebay help line and the guy said the seller had it posted that he used the GPS. My bad. Shame on me for missing it. I sent an email to the seller asking if they can cancel the transaction (or invoice) and send me a new invoice with the purchase amount and shipping amount for the U.S. Hope he/she can, if not, at least it wasn't a costly purchase this time!
Message 1655 of 3,104
latest reply

when I looked at this item! I checked out the U.S. shipping and the Canadian prices, GPS was nowhere to be seen. And nowhere did it say it used Pitney Bowes.

That is strange. I too do not see GSP and although the seller nominally ships anywhere, no postage can be calculated or is listed.

By the way, that's not a gold ring. Just 'gold coloured', and lightweight. The heading, which is more descriptive than the description, says gold, so you might think it was gold. If you thought it was gold I'd contact the seller right away. It's way too much money for brass.

Message 1656 of 3,104
latest reply

That is strange. I too do not see GSP and although the seller nominally ships anywhere, no postage can be calculated or is listed.

There is either a glitch or they have made a change on the site so that you can't see any shipping costs on ended items.

Message 1657 of 3,104
latest reply

"why was i charged"

Take a look at the listing again. 

In addition to the selling price (paid to the seller), do you see a "shipping charge"?  a "import charges"?

The total of "shipping charges" and "import charges" would be charged to you by Pitney Bowes.

Message 1658 of 3,104
latest reply

Sergus0, unless the shipping charges are stated point-blank in the listing, always contact the seller before bidding. I like to see "Standard Int'l Shipping" or "USPS First Class Mail Intl" or something along those lines before I'll bid on an item. Any listing that even hints at the GSP (like your listing, with no dollar amount shown, just a message to contact the seller for rates) is either getting a message to the seller, or the back button, depending on my mood, lol. Some days I'm only shopping within Canada, simply to avoid it altogether! Bah, GSP!

Message 1659 of 3,104
latest reply

I have contacted the seller and he sent the pastels, not books. I opened a dispute with e-bay who sent me to pay pal who wants me and the seller to negotiate. This is not a seller/buyer issue ! It is Pitney Bowes screw up at the Global Shipping Center. Somewhere is a customer waiting for his books. Can anyone help ?

Message 1660 of 3,104
latest reply