Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Hi from the U.S.! Has Canada been removed from the global shipping program?

I just ordered a item from Florida usa. I live in Ontario Canada. I asked the seller to give me a aproximate time range to when I will relieve my item. I got the response "from Florida to Canada usually takes 36 weeks" 36 WEEKS! And then he said that they should be here soon is this even possible?
Message 1901 of 3,104
latest reply

Maybe he meant 3-6 weeks ?

Message 1902 of 3,104
latest reply

Skipper to chimp: "How long to make the plane flyable?"

Chimp signs and Kowalski interprets: "6 to 9 months"

Skipper: "69 months?!"

Kowalski: "No. Six to nine months"

I'm sure it's 3 to 6 weeks. I've never had anything take more than 5 weeks.

Message 1903 of 3,104
latest reply

Question:  I've never purchased an item from a Seller who uses the GSP (Global Shipping Program) and charges import fees.  In the event I purchase an item from such a Seller, and wish to return it, does the refund include the import fees?

(I know it does NOT include the actual shipping costs.)

Message 1904 of 3,104
latest reply

This would have to be a seller fault or change of mind return and nothing  of the GSP fees would be refunded. You'd also havce to pay return shipping.

In case of a damaged item you do not need to return it.

Message 1905 of 3,104
latest reply

@450ilovecats wrote:

Question:  I've never purchased an item from a Seller who uses the GSP (Global Shipping Program) and charges import fees.  In the event I purchase an item from such a Seller, and wish to return it, does the refund include the import fees?

(I know it does NOT include the actual shipping costs.)

Maybe you shouldn't buy it at all if you think you'll need to return it...

Returns are not supported by the GSP. If you change your mind about the item and the seller agrees to take it back, then the GSP is not involved and you'll lose that portion of your payment (shipping from the KY hub to you + "import charges").

If the item arrives damaged, or doesn't arrive at all, file a claim. Don't get the seller involved other than to let him/her know what you are doing as a courtesy because his/her funds will be on hold for a few days. Filing a claim is the only way to get all of your money back in such instances.

If the item is significantly not as described, eBay has said that filing a claim will get you all of your money back. Personally, I'll believe it when I see someone post about it. Until then, SNAD remains a grey area.

Message 1906 of 3,104
latest reply

It would make the GSP more palatable to Canadians if Pitney Bowes would lower or waive the handling charge on items priced at less than $20 CA, since they don't have do the paperwork to remit duties and taxes for those items. They should be satisfied with their ample shipping charges.

Message 1907 of 3,104
latest reply

"It would make the GSP more palatable to Canadians if Pitney Bowes would lower or waive the handling charge on items priced at less than $20 CA, since they don't have do the paperwork to remit duties and taxes for those items. They should be satisfied with their ample shipping charges."

Would never happen - how do they make any profit? The still spend time getting it from Kentucky to Canada.

Simply, the program should not be used for any items <$20. 

Program would still not be palatable to me on items <$50 Cdn as CBSA rarely (if ever) collects import fees on items <= $50 Cdn.

Message 1908 of 3,104
latest reply

fezi1975
Community Member

Hi Kalvin,

I have purchased and item ( Motherboard) from eBay 1st time using global shipping Program, seller has provided me a tracking number which now shows the item has been delivered.. when i checked the destination of delivery it is still  in USA Erlanger, i knew from few friends that the item is delivered to Pitney Bowes.  but i want know the few things more as detailed below, 

How much time the Pitney Bowes is going to take for shipping it again to final destination. ? 

am i getting the new tracking number and so when ?

can some one tell me whats going here ...

Message 1909 of 3,104
latest reply

Nothing unusual, it should arrive in about a week.

Message 1910 of 3,104
latest reply

mg152
Community Member
I ship direct to Canada so doesn't affect me but I heard Canada was removed from GSP because of the enormous shipping fees. Is this correct?
Thank you all.
Patricia
RIP Jann & Charlie Keller. You followed each other to heaven too soon. We miss you both!

Be nice to other people! You don’t know what’s going on in their life.
Message 1911 of 3,104
latest reply

Not at all. Global shipping program still exist and expensive costs too.

I bought less on eBay last year and I will do same this one.

Priority shipping cost : Highly exaggerated because parcel travel to Kentucky take longer than a snail.

Unable to combine shipping means more money for eBay and Pitney bowles pockets.

How can you bet on an item when canadian buyers have to pay 30 $ for shipping with 10 $ import fees and US buyers only 5 $ for shipping for the same object ?

Message 1912 of 3,104
latest reply

I ship direct to Canada so doesn't affect me but I heard Canada was removed from GSP because of the enormous shipping fees. Is this correct?

The listing process was modified so sellers could offer their own shipping to Canada while keeping GSP for other counties, but because this is something you'd need a full and up to date understanding of the GSP to know about, I doubt if many sellers would be using it.

Message 1913 of 3,104
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

The listing process was modified so sellers could offer their own shipping to Canada while keeping GSP for other counties, but because this is something you'd need a full and up to date understanding of the GSP to know about, I doubt if many sellers would be using it.

I saw one post on the US boards (I can't remember where, unfortunately) by one of the GSP people saying that Canada had been taken off the GSP for cheap items and that they were trying this out and not advertising it. Typical! That's why a lot of cheaper items (it's not clear what the cut-off is but it seems to be around $20 to $25) are now showing "May not ship to Canada", but if you change the country to, say, the UK or Australia, the GSP charges appear.

And now you have threads over on the US boards to the effect that "A Canadian bought my item but I'm not given the Kentucky address even though I'm using the GSP". When you go look at the item, more often than not it's a $5 trinket.

Why eBay didn't advertise this is beyond me. Sellers are even more confused than they were (which is quite a feat, considering how confusing the GSP has been and still is for many), and buyers are confused by their sellers' confusion.

Message 1914 of 3,104
latest reply

It's very odd that my recent purchase started with great progress and the past 2 days it has gone to 3 different locations within Kentucky. My package is not late and I expect it to arrive as promised. It appears very inefficient. This is my first purchase where the seller has used the GSP.
Message 1915 of 3,104
latest reply

Lower cost listings in the gsp program are no longer being seen by Canadians as ebay as blocked them. Most buyers and sellers aren't aware of this but it has been going for at least a month. Someone else posted about it on the boards here a few weeks ago and I also saw a confirmation by one the ebay blues on a U.S. board.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Not-Offered-to-Canadians-Glitch-in-Some-Listings/m-p/23371869/h...

eBay Employee
 on ‎12-10-2014 06:37 PM

As we continue to evolve the program by taking our customer feedback into account, one of the suggestions we’ve heard is regarding low average selling price (ASP) transactions to Canadian buyers. In relation to the asking price, these transactions’ shipping and import costs tend to be considered too high for many buyers who in turn ask the seller to ship outside of GSP.  In an effort to improve the buyer experience, we are rolling out a test. Listings to Canadian buyers in which the ASP is $25 or less, or $15 or less for Buy it Now and auction-style, will not be surfaced through GSP to buyers. This way, sellers can use their own shipping methods to sell these items to Canada, and have the flexibility of working with their own shipping carriers.

To edit your listings to Canada to ship with alternate shipping methods:

1. Visit the Global Shipping Program Preferences page within Site Preferences within My Account and click the box for ‘Customize international shipping for some locations’.
  2. In the listing form, uncheck the box ‘Use the Global Shipping Program’
  3. Use the drop down menu under Specify International Shipping Costs 

We are in the process of contacting sellers affected by this test.

Message 1916 of 3,104
latest reply

"This way, sellers can use their own shipping methods to sell these items to Canada, and have the flexibility of working with their own shipping carriers."

Sellers already had the option of doing that. Making listings disappear and not telling sellers is certainly not going to help buyers or sellers.

smh

I haven't checked to see if they are doing the same thing in the UK.

Message 1917 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

"This way, sellers can use their own shipping methods to sell these items to Canada, and have the flexibility of working with their own shipping carriers."

Sellers already had the option of doing that. Making listings disappear and not telling sellers is certainly not going to help buyers or sellers.

smh

I haven't checked to see if they are doing the same thing in the UK.

You gotta love the GSP PR-speak! How are sellers supposed to offer their own shipping method to Canada when they think that Canada is still part of the GSP? Ebay expects sellers to read its convoluted mind?!?!

Maybe the UK is doing it for some countries, but Canada is not among them. I was over on the UK site recently, checking some items and found that the shipping charges to Canada are the highest of all. Higher than to Australia, higher than to New Zealand. The items I checked were cheap and should not have had GSP on them. £15 to ship a £5 CD??? Seriously???

Message 1918 of 3,104
latest reply

How are sellers supposed to offer their own shipping method to Canada when they think that Canada is still part of the GSP?

Exactly. It's ridiculous.

Message 1919 of 3,104
latest reply

That's why I don't use it.
I have mostly smalls and less expensive items. It's cheaper to mail direct.
I was wondering because in our A/C, folks were saying they removed Canada! I think that would be a good thing. 🙂
RIP Jann & Charlie Keller. You followed each other to heaven too soon. We miss you both!

Be nice to other people! You don’t know what’s going on in their life.
Message 1920 of 3,104
latest reply