Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

D42091583000362284901

It doesn't matter. The tracking number is for the protection of the paranoid US (and now UK) sellers who believe that all foreign buyers are going to claim non-delivery and cheat them out of their payment.

If the item hasn't arrived in 20 days (you actually have 45 days for this, but 20 is lots of time for delivery from the States) open an Item Not Received dispute at the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If the GSP cannot show delivery you will be refunded in full.

If you are not home when the item is delivered Canada Post /CanPar will leave a notice of where and when you can pick up.

Message 2061 of 3,104
latest reply

I cant believe this thread has been on here since 2013. 

That being said,

2015 GSP is still here .

2015 GSP is still scamming. Over charging on duty and still charging duty on items not required

2015 most American seller dont know they lose sale having GSP

2015 no changes have been made to the GSP

2015 whats the point of this thread.

2015 Ebay still not listening from buyers on GSP

Message 2062 of 3,104
latest reply

I won't buy from anyone using this useless"feature"...it enriches companies and Canada revenue/CBPS needlessly.

One serious question - Just what is wrong with sending an item at actual cost (buyers choice of how it's sent of course) and paying tax/duty at the post office IF IT IS applicable..........

Nice and simple..... no added costs. No putting money in anyones pocket that doesn't deserve it. Just like I have done as a seller since 1996. No frills added or needed. Actual cost charged...nice and simple.

Why do you people insist on complicating this process, putting more money into ebays vault, giving undue monies to shipping companies and the tax man........

Makes no sense to me, makes nothing simpler, and actually stops people (like me) from bidding.

Wise up.

Message 2063 of 3,104
latest reply

"what is wrong with sending an item at actual cost (buyers choice of how it's sent of course) and paying tax/duty at the post office IF IT IS applicable.........."

There is nothing wrong with that.  It is by far the best method for a Canadian buyer purchasing from an American seller.

Unfortunately, the program (GSP) was not created with the Canadian buyer in mind.  It was created for the sole purpose of helping American sellers who previously sold to their domestic market exclusively. 

The concept is to make it easier for American sellers to export without added effort and risks.  All additional costs are paid by the buyers worldwide.  No additional costs are paid by the American sellers who actually benefit from the program through increased sales.

Message 2064 of 3,104
latest reply

Good Morning Everyone!

The GSP will forever be a constant thorn in the Canadian buyer's side until American sellers are educated on the program. Many US sellers do not realize it is NOT mandatory & it can be removed if requested. Some sellers will remove it when asked but the majority respond with 'it is not permitted by eBay'. This is not true. Canada has not charged cross-border duty for years now. I have never paid duty on items purchased from the USA via eBay/US online stores in values of up to $200. Canadian buyers will not pay duty from the USA IF the seller is using the USPS as their shipper and many times not even the tax (if parcel is not randomly pulled for investigation by postal worker). The only people who benefit are couriers such as UPS/Fedex. 

This is a topic that needs to be addressed to ebay.com over and over. I have stopped buying on eBay because of the GSP (although my last purchase was from ebay.com from a seller who did not/will not implement the GSP).

If there is enough concern generated, it is possible eBay will address it. If they don't hear from us, we can be certain nothing will be done.

Happy Day!

Lorraine

Message 2065 of 3,104
latest reply

Pitney Bowes removes the packaging and the items are broken.  The last package I received had NO packaging left and one of the items was not in the box anymore. I bought a few times from sellers using that program and never again.

Message 2066 of 3,104
latest reply

Pitney Bowes removes the packaging and the items are broken. 

I hope you claimed your 100% refund.

If everyone who gets anything damaged in transit claims their refund, things might be more carefully packed.

Message 2067 of 3,104
latest reply

We are a company and new a invoice for shipping costs, but Pitney Bowes Inc don't response on any email. How can we get it or should we open a paypal dispute?

Ebay: 281631697898

Message 2068 of 3,104
latest reply

Please review the GSP terms of use.

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

6c - "Non-Commercial Use. Any GSP Item that you purchase must be for the personal use or consumption of the designated recipient and not for commercial resale purposes. In addition, if you reside in a member state of the European Union (other than the United Kingdom) and are importing the GSP Item from the United States, your purchase of the GSP Item must be for non-business purposes. In the European Union, import VAT incurred on the purchase of goods for non-business purposes cannot be reclaimed or recovered by the Buyer."

GSP (Global Shipping Program) is for individuals only and NOT for business.

As such you cannot demand something that is not available.

It would be best for you to avoid purchasing any item when the seller uses GSP or, if you must, live with the receipt sent by PayPal to cover the "import charge" (you will need to manually calculate and estimate the GST/HST (for use as ITC) and the fees ($4/$5)).

Message 2069 of 3,104
latest reply

By the way item 281631697898 does not ship to Canada and does not use GSP.

Message 2070 of 3,104
latest reply

@akahan4lny wrote:

I have had a package stuck in the Global Shipping Center since Monday. The first item I bought went through the process very easily and without any delay. My second item has not gone smoothly and there is no way of finding out what went wrong.

Based on my experience to-date I will now only deal with sellers who offer an alternative to the Global Shipping Program. Sellers who only offer Global Shipping will NOT get my business.

Reading through all these posts I wish I had done this before I shipped

My package says it has left the center, but it has disappered, if it's tracked and scanned, how can it disappear for 9 days? ( should only take 1-2 business days max )  it has still not arrived at the canadian sorting facility. (Looking more like theft to me). 

yes EBAY can't give me an answer either. 

From now on ( I'm going POSTAL) USPS or nothing  for  items to get shipped to Canada. If the seller does not offer this I won't from them sorry.

FIRST AND LAST TIME USER OF THE GSP!   

Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination

May-04-15, 18:17 PM, Erlanger

Message 2071 of 3,104
latest reply

User's ability to track GSP items is notoriously patchy. Lack of it means nothing, the item may arrive tomorrow, and if it does not arrive in the time frame predicted plus a few days you have a chance to play 'Refund Roulette'

This is the game where you make a legitimate claim for non arrival of the item, you get a refund and it turns up a week later.

There is no way to repay the refund, so you are a winner of a free item.

Message 2072 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello,

I just bought an item from the USA and it was shipped with GSP. the item arrived opened. It was cut in two areas, and only taped back up on one. The cut that was not taped back up actually cut into my item causing a little bit of damage but not enough to make it unwearable, some seams where visibility cut and frayed and the item's tag was cut in half. I think after they did this, they made a second cut, and the second cut seems to be the one they taped back up.

I was reading the policies on this program and it sounds like ebay and paypal take no responsibility for this third party business and the only option for complaint is through a money back guarantee with paypal. This really isn't the seller's fault, but the shipping / handling employees fault. What can be done to make sure the GSP doesn't just attack into your parcels to inspect them? Most of the items I buy are clothing and I don't need them all cut into. I'd like to file a complaint to this shipping company. see photo, my item arrived like this, I did not need to open the package to retrieve my item as it was visible through the packaging. In this photo, the item was already removed, but I took photos that I sent to seller once I noticed damage to the item.

Message 2073 of 3,104
latest reply

This really isn't the seller's fault, but the shipping / handling employees fault. What can be done to make sure the GSP doesn't just attack into your parcels to inspect them

If you make a complaint citing not as described, damaged in transport,you will get a full refund and the seller will not suffer any loss. You will not have to return the item. The only way the plant managers will know there is a problem is by the volume of refunds.

Message 2074 of 3,104
latest reply

@petur-sheena wrote:

What can be done to make sure the GSP doesn't just attack into your parcels to inspect them?

Mu understanding is that items from listings where the seller has not provided Pitney Bowes with information on the nature of the item in the "item specifics" portion on the listing are more likely to be opened for inspection (and possibly repackaged) than those where this information has been provided.  Did the listing for your item have information in the "item specifics" section?

Message 2075 of 3,104
latest reply

The solution to the GSP is not to purchase from sellers who employ the program or at the very least request they remove it in order for you to purchase from them. The majority of USA sellers do not realize the GSP is optional not required.

Message 2076 of 3,104
latest reply

If it hasn't been delivered after 20 days from purchase, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received dispute.

One of three things will happen.

Murphy's Law will kick in and the parcel will be delivered the next morning.

The GSP will show that their tracking shows the item is delivered.  Go to the local postal outlet or post office and ask if it is on a shelf awaiting pickup. Also interrogate family and friends who may have put it in a safe place for you.

GSP cannot show delivery and will refund you in full, although possibly in two payments. The item may turn up after that-- see Murphy's Law above.

Message 2077 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It's possible that it is still at the global shipping hub but it is just as possible that it has left there. Global tracking info can be slow to be updated.

Yup.  Either you have your item or you don't.  Tracking or lack thereof doesn't change that state of affairs.

Message 2078 of 3,104
latest reply

@lorraine_carol wrote:

The solution to the GSP is not to purchase from sellers who employ the program or at the very least request they remove it in order for you to purchase from them. The majority of USA sellers do not realize the GSP is optional not required.

A good proportion--possibly even the majority--of US sellers using the GSP don't even realize they have it on their listings.

Message 2079 of 3,104
latest reply

Its hard to tell if the seller did their due diligence when filling out the shipping label because because GSP slaps their own label right on top of the original. I agree with everyone that I just need to avoid sellers that use this feature. For the most part I do. I read that the seller has to option to opt out of this feature. I have asked a couple sellers if they would remove the GSP from their listings, and have gotten the reposnse that they cant because its automatic / mandatory. Guess they must just be lazy because other sellers don't use the feature. If they only understood that they are losing buyers by not removing it....

Message 2080 of 3,104
latest reply